PDA

View Full Version : One of my Konis exploded

zach
07-20-2009, 10:54 AM
Well, it didn't visibly explode, but there is what I'm assuming is shock oil all over the right front wheel well and on the back of the wheel. It's on the visible portion of the shock as well. The car now makes REALLY loud banging noises over bumps. It's so bad that my initial though was that the shock had come through the shock tower.

Anyway, it'll get looked at this week.

Quote from my mechanic:

"Koni’s have a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser. Since you were the purchaser, I think I can warranty it out to you as long as it was assembled correctly." (emphasis mine) :eeps:

FC
07-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Well, it didn't visibly explode, but there is what I'm assuming is shock oil all over the right front wheel well and on the back of the wheel. It's on the visible portion of the shock as well. The car now makes REALLY loud banging noises over bumps. It's so bad that my initial though was that the shock had come through the shock tower.

Anyway, it'll get looked at this week.

Quote from my mechanic:

"Koni’s have a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser. Since you were the purchaser, I think I can warranty it out to you as long as it was assembled correctly." (emphasis mine) :eeps:

Yikes. Good luck.

clyde
07-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Konis tend to weep a little bit which is no big deal. Occasionally, they blow like yours seems to have done.

If your guy gives you any grief, let me know and I'll give you a name at Koni to contact.

zach
07-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Konis tend to weep a little bit which is no big deal. Occasionally, they blow like yours seems to have done.

If your guy gives you any grief, let me know and I'll give you a name at Koni to contact.

Thanks. Hopefully it won't come to that.

rumatt
07-20-2009, 11:29 AM
I think I can warranty it out to you as long as it was assembled correctly." (emphasis mine) :eeps:

Was it front or rear?

:speechle:

zach
07-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Was it front or rear?

:speechle:

Right front

rumatt
07-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Right front

Find the person who helped assemble them and make them pay. :D

Terri Kennedy
07-20-2009, 06:43 PM

Every single Koni that has failed on an Atom (there have been a number - most just completely seize up, while others leaked) has had the warranty denied by Koni as the car owner wasn't the "original purchaser". They're claiming that all warranty claims must be made by the vehicle manufacturer (Brammo, who no longer has any involvement with Atoms). This has caused very bad feelings toward Koni from a segment of the Atom community.

Atoms are now built with Bilsteins. There's also a Nitron aftermarket kit for the Atom.

zach
07-20-2009, 06:50 PM
Every single Koni that has failed on an Atom (there have been a number - most just completely seize up, while others leaked) has had the warranty denied by Koni as the car owner wasn't the "original purchaser". They're claiming that all warranty claims must be made by the vehicle manufacturer (Brammo, who no longer has any involvement with Atoms). This has caused very bad feelings toward Koni from a segment of the Atom community.

Atoms are now built with Bilsteins. There's also a Nitron aftermarket kit for the Atom.

That sucks ass. Way to piss off enthusiasts.

I don't think they will be able to argue that I'm anything other than the original purchaser. That said, it might take hours (or days or weeks) to find the receipt if that's what I need...

John V
07-21-2009, 08:14 AM
I used to really like Koni. I've gotten increasingly annoyed with them over the past year.

When they work, they work well. When they don't, it's a big pain.

Nick M3
07-21-2009, 01:21 PM
I used to really like Koni. I've gotten increasingly annoyed with them over the past year.

When they work, they work well. When they don't, it's a big pain.
All of this is solved if you go through TC Kline. But man oh man is it a pain in the ass if you don't.

zach
07-21-2009, 01:22 PM
I spoke to my mechanic. He can't do my car until next wednesday, but said that he'll replace the insert with one from his inventory and then ship the broken one back to Koni. I'm covered for now I guess...

John V
07-21-2009, 03:57 PM
All of this is solved if you go through TC Kline. But man oh man is it a pain in the ass if you don't.

It has nothing to do with that, actually, at least for my issue.

zach
09-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Update: Koni authorized the warranty replacement. :)

Nick M3
09-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Update: Koni authorized the warranty replacement. :)
That's probably because we never took video of me bouncing the housing off the floor to get the strut seated. :)

zach
09-11-2009, 01:54 PM
That's probably because we never took video of me bouncing the housing off the floor to get the strut seated. :)

Funny you mention that. Marc needed a blowtorch to get the insert out of the strut. He tried and tried and tried to get it out without destroying the strut, but it wouldn't come out. :p