PDA

View Full Version : Well, it looks like we're going to own a Saab soon.

TD
10-17-2003, 11:18 PM
We put down a deposit tonight. We'll get it and finalize the paperwork next week after they finish CPOing it and we have a chance to get it independently inspected.

It's a 2000 Saab Aero wagon, 5-spd, factory-option BBS rims, HK and heated seats. It's white with a dark grey interior. 25K miles. Saab Certified.

It's a very cool wagon. Very solid and tight. And in great cosmetic shape as well.

SpaceMonk
10-17-2003, 11:21 PM
Sweet. Very cool. :thumbup:

So are the wheels definitely polished and not chrome? ;)

operknockity
10-17-2003, 11:21 PM
Congrats! Abuse it well.

Nick M3
10-17-2003, 11:22 PM
Does it have summer tires mounted?
So what sort of CPO warranty do they offer?

TD
10-17-2003, 11:27 PM
Rims are POLISHED but also well curbed. They are being repaired.

Tires were Pilot Sports when it arrived but are now brand new Sumitomo HTR Z IIs. I'm not sure whether I think this is good or bad, but they felt fine on the drive.

Warranty is essentially identical to the BMW CPO warranty. But it appears they take their physical inspection more seriously than BMW.

dredmo
10-17-2003, 11:28 PM
Nice TD, I really like Saab vehicles. I am sure you'll be happy.

What's first on the mod list? :D

Nick M3
10-17-2003, 11:31 PM
:thumbup:

So I assume a set of winter wheels and tires is in order?

Roadstergal
10-17-2003, 11:31 PM
Vanity plate ideas:

SNAAB

SLAAB

:P Very nice! White cars rock. Do we get pics?

TD
10-17-2003, 11:33 PM

So I assume a set of winter wheels and tires is in order?

First, looking at TireRack's site, they might be HTR Zs (not IIs). It was dark and I didn't make a note of the tire knowing in advance that there were multiple HTR Z models. I just remember seeing Sumitomo HTR Z, no recollection of a II or not.

We'll see about winter wheels/tires, but probably.

TD
10-17-2003, 11:34 PM
Nice TD, I really like Saab vehicles. I am sure you'll be happy.

What's first on the mod list? :D

The only mod will be installing XM. It's the family car, dammit.

operknockity
10-17-2003, 11:35 PM
Vanity plate ideas:

SNAAB

SLAAB
?
I'd expect those are already taken.

TD
10-17-2003, 11:37 PM
Vanity plate ideas:

SNAAB

SLAAB

:P Very nice! White cars rock. Do we get pics?

The only pic I have of it was taken at a distance through a fence last Sunday with the sun backlighting the shot and hosing the color.

But here it is-

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20457

dredmo
10-17-2003, 11:39 PM
But here it is-

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20457

Looks in killer shape. I really don't know whether the BMW/AUDI/SAAB wagon is the most asthetically appealing, but they all look very nice.

Roadstergal
10-17-2003, 11:39 PM
Those are a factory option? Sweet! Nice car.

operknockity
10-17-2003, 11:45 PM
I really don't know whether the BMW/AUDI/SAAB wagon is the most asthetically appealing, but they all look very nice.
I just can't warm up to the SAAB wagons.

Plaz
10-18-2003, 12:06 AM
Sweet. It's really not a bad looking wagon.

FWD, though, yes?

mquetel
10-18-2003, 12:50 AM
So does Saab still have the key/ignition in the center console? I always thought that was really cool. :devcool:

GSR13
10-18-2003, 01:16 AM
Congrats TD, glad to see you finally bit the bullet and bought a wagon. Hope everything checks out okay. The car certainly has low mileage appears to be in great mechanical condition, at least the side you show. :smile:

GregE_325
10-18-2003, 01:47 AM
Congratulations! It's a really sharp car. Looking forward to more pictures.

-- Greg

Eugie Baange
10-18-2003, 02:43 AM
Let me echo "Sweet"
Saab's are great cars. That FWD?
My sister-in-law's GF has a Saab; she loves it.
Everyone I've know who's owned a Saab has loved it

I see similarities between that wagon and my Wife's V40

Let's see... wife, 2 kids, house in the 'burbs, wagon... Welcome to the American Dream

Masskrug
10-18-2003, 02:49 AM
Cool "shooting brake"! Congrats!

It seems to me that there are two types of people in this world.

People that "get" Saabs.
People that don't understand Saabs.

I guess I fit in the latter. Can someone educate me?

TD
10-18-2003, 09:35 AM
FWD? Yes. It is not our primary performance car (mine is) so we can live with FWD. Plus it does snow around here and, while RWD with snows works, FWD is just easier.

And as far as the rest of the vehicle is concerned, there is nothing that compares to the value of a pre-depreciated Saab. The suspension feels like an E46 w/SP. The clutch is light but MUCH better than, say, VW's clutch. The turbo engine is quirky but pulls like a mad man. IIRC, 258 lb ft of torque at 1950 RPM. Zoom! And it's HUGE in both the back seat area and the wagon area.

And, yes, the key is still in the center console.

3LOU5
10-18-2003, 07:06 PM
I think you will truly enjoy this car.

A number of years ago, a buddy of mine had a Saab 900 Turbo. It was my first experience with the marque.

I vacationed with him and his family in CO one spring. We went skiing at Copper Mountain and he badly injured his knee, so I had a chance to drive it all over the place for a week and a half. Though quirky in its execution, I grew to like it as I drove it more and more.

The thing that impressed me the most was the power going up mountains. That turbo would do its job, and I was easily passing cars on upgrades that normally aspirated cars would have problems.

On the other hand, the thing that bothered me about the turbo was its whistling noise. It may have been a maitenance issue, but I could certainly overlook the noise for added performance.

;)

Anyway, good luck with the car and with your new web site endeavor.

Masskrug
10-18-2003, 07:12 PM
FWD? Yes. It is not our primary performance car (mine is) so we can live with FWD. Plus it does snow around here and, while RWD with snows works, FWD is just easier.

And as far as the rest of the vehicle is concerned, there is nothing that compares to the value of a pre-depreciated Saab. The suspension feels like an E46 w/SP. The clutch is light but MUCH better than, say, VW's clutch. The turbo engine is quirky but pulls like a mad man. IIRC, 258 lb ft of torque at 1950 RPM. Zoom! And it's HUGE in both the back seat area and the wagon area.

And, yes, the key is still in the center console.

Cool.

Reminds me of a CRX Si I owned a long time ago: stomp on the gas pedal and hang on to the steering wheel!

It sounds like a great family car. You'll LOVE the room on road trips. Go and explore the country with the kids!

Mathew
10-18-2003, 08:21 PM
Thats a pretty sharp wagon. Enjoy!

TD
10-18-2003, 09:50 PM
A few more pics we took today....

It's still not done being prepped or even having everything fixed for being certified. But we took some time to play today. We should be bringing it home by mid-week.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20717

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20718

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20719

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20720

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20721

nate
10-18-2003, 10:06 PM
It is looking nice, I like those BBS rims (obviously) :D

Did you have a color choice?

btw, that rotor looks pretty worn. Are they old?

ZBB
10-18-2003, 10:48 PM
Congrats TD...

The first relatively performance-oriented car I drove on a regular basis was a Saab 900S cab... White with grey leather. You'll enjoy it...

Saabs have their quirks... The one I used to drive had a very strange and non-repeateable electrical bug that showed up 3-4 times over the time we had it -- you'd be driving along and then all the dash lights and all the external lights would turn on -- at random. Even stopping and turning the car on and off would not reset the quirk. Eventually it would go away and return to normal. Then 3 months later it would do it again. Very strange.

Roadstergal
10-18-2003, 11:01 PM
I love Saab dashes. It's like you asked someone to design a console who has never seen a car console before. And you realize things like, "It does make more sense to have the key not hidden behind the wheel..."

Plaz
10-19-2003, 12:55 AM
Funky!

dredmo
10-19-2003, 02:01 AM
Damn that thing looks nice, and the wheels look great.

Masskrug
10-19-2003, 03:29 AM
I love Saab dashes. It's like you asked someone to design a console who has never seen a car console before. And you realize things like, "It does make more sense to have the key not hidden behind the wheel..."

Their dashes have always reminded me of their aircraft heritage.

TD
10-19-2003, 09:58 AM
Funky!

Is that a good funky, a bad funky or just plain funky?

TD
10-19-2003, 10:02 AM
It is looking nice, I like those BBS rims (obviously) :D

Did you have a color choice?

btw, that rotor looks pretty worn. Are they old?

The front brakes are close to needing replacement. But they are apparently still within CPO specs. I'd rather just slap new rotors on after I buy it than have them replace them for their cost (which inlcludes labor) and have that factor into my price.

We have a price that was determined like a new car sale. I have their cost from auction and added the costs (per their internal ROs) for what they've done to the car. Add in the cost of certification. And then I'm giving them $1800 over that (usually used car margins are much higher). So if they did the brakes, they'd add probably $600 to their cost and my price. For that, I'll do them myself.

TD
10-19-2003, 10:06 AM
Damn that thing looks nice, and the wheels look great.

Part of why we're acting now is that finding a Saab Aero in a wagon is rare. Finding it with a stick AND with the optional BBS rims is even rarer. Finding it locally, in mint condition and with really low miles is the proverbial needle in a haystack. And my wife's first choice color for this wagon is white.

So when you get a "fair" price, you have to say to yourself, "If we really want this make/model car, THIS is the one to get."

(Ironically, we've been looking long enough that this is the THIRD 5-spd Aero wagon with optional BBS rims that we've looked at. So we've been in that haystack looking hard for a while.)

dredmo
10-19-2003, 10:47 AM
[quote=dredmo](Ironically, we've been looking long enough that this is the THIRD 5-spd Aero wagon with optional BBS rims that we've looked at. So we've been in that haystack looking hard for a while.)

:lol: :lol:

Well, I'm glad you finally snagged one. :thumbup:

SARAFIL
10-19-2003, 11:17 AM
TD: You guys have a 2 car garage, right?

Who's going to sleep outside? :D

Nice car, by the way. All things considered (price, condition, size and utility, etc.), it looks like a fabulous family vehicle. As I said earlier, a co-worker's wife has a 9-5 wagon, and it is HUGE inside. It never ceases to amaze me how much stuff they can put in there. I'm sure your family will love it.

TD
10-19-2003, 11:25 AM

Nice car, by the way. All things considered (price, condition, size and utility, etc.), it looks like a fabulous family vehicle. As I said earlier, a co-worker's wife has a 9-5 wagon, and it is HUGE inside. It never ceases to amaze me how much stuff they can put in there. I'm sure your family will love it.

For now, the wagon sleeps outside.

Shocking as it may sound, I'm considering selling the M3 and getting myself an E30 or E34 to use as a commuter. I really don't want THIS MUCH money tied up in cars. And if I do that, my commuter will sleep outside.

TD
10-19-2003, 12:46 PM

For now, the wagon sleeps outside.

Shocking as it may sound, I'm considering selling the M3 and getting myself an E30 or E34 to use as a commuter. I really don't want THIS MUCH money tied up in cars. And if I do that, my commuter will sleep outside.

Or maybe a MCS? :paranoid:

dan
10-19-2003, 03:28 PM
Or maybe a MCS? :paranoid:

:smile:

Plaz
10-19-2003, 05:04 PM
Funky!

Is that a good funky, a bad funky or just plain funky?

All of the above...

exterior: good funky -- :thumbup:
most of interior: just plain funky -- :mrgreen:
dash/panel: bad funky, imo -- :scratch:

Overall, very cool. Hope it works out well for the four of you.

Keith
10-19-2003, 05:36 PM
Very nice choice Tom, I've never seen one before, nor do I know anything about Saab's, but that's one damn good looking car! :thumbup:

clyde
10-19-2003, 08:06 PM
So when you get a "fair" price, you have to say to yourself, "If we really want this make/model car, THIS is the one to get."

Now, break it in right on November 9 at the Saab Club autocross (http://www.autocrossers.com/cgi-bin/SCNCA.pl) at Rosecroft. :D

lemming
10-20-2003, 12:14 PM
great looking car.

careful with those BBS wheels. they tend to be a tad "soft" and bend easily. (wouldn't know from experience, would i?).

i am not sure how many people have driven in an aero on the highway? it FLIES. you do not need to downshift, it is a vicious, vicious highway car.

TD: did you check to see if they had done that recall that affected some saabs? something about the level of sulfur in the ECU circuitry was too high from the OEM vendor, and the ECUs fail and the car goes into limp home mode. it's a well documented recall, so they might have already addressed it. it was mainly 1999 and early 2000s.

and....when you get bored....there is always Nordic Tuning or Hirsch. :D

good day, gents.

TD
10-20-2003, 12:34 PM
great looking car.

careful with those BBS wheels. they tend to be a tad "soft" and bend easily. (wouldn't know from experience, would i?).

i am not sure how many people have driven in an aero on the highway? it FLIES. you do not need to downshift, it is a vicious, vicious highway car.

TD: did you check to see if they had done that recall that affected some saabs? something about the level of sulfur in the ECU circuitry was too high from the OEM vendor, and the ECUs fail and the car goes into limp home mode. it's a well documented recall, so they might have already addressed it. it was mainly 1999 and early 2000s.

good day, gents.

ALL recalls have to be performed for it to be Saab certified.

And I've been poking around re: mods. I have no plans but it appears the Saab enthusiasts are as rabid if not more rabid than BMW enthusiasts. There is a lot out there.

clyde
10-20-2003, 12:43 PM

Now, break it in right on November 9 at the Saab Club autocross (http://www.autocrossers.com/cgi-bin/SCNCA.pl) at Rosecroft. :D

Still 9 slots left in the first heat.

http://www.autocrossers.com/cgi-bin/SCNCA.pl

lemming
10-20-2003, 01:02 PM
great looking car.

TD:

there are an even CRAZIER bunch of people because a lot of them are focused on getting straightline speed out of FWD cars. they put down ridiculous amounts of power and get cars into the 12s and high 13s.

www.saabnet.com ????

i hate that forum because it's actively policed (anti-saab sentiments get you kicked off), but it's informative.

good day, gents.

ALL recalls have to be performed for it to be Saab certified.

And I've been poking around re: mods. I have no plans but it appears the Saab enthusiasts are as rabid if not more rabid than BMW enthusiasts. There is a lot out there.

FC
10-20-2003, 01:17 PM
Congrats TD!

It does seem surprisingly large in the back. How does it compare in cargo room? Is it Volvo V70-big? Passat wagon-big? it looks bigger than the 3er/C-class/A4 Avant crowd.

The car looks very sharp, but it does seem to have quite a bit of front AND rear overhangs. I hope that is not a problem on certain driveyways. I like it! :thumbup: (Though I'll admit I have never been font of SAAB interiors)

If you really sell the M3, I'd sell the conv too and just get a Boxster or something like it. You can get them pretty cheap right now. That way all the cars would be garaged.

Congrats again.

TD
10-20-2003, 01:43 PM
Congrats TD!

It does seem surprisingly large in the back. How does it compare in cargo room? Is it Volvo V70-big? Passat wagon-big? it looks bigger than the 3er/C-class/A4 Avant crowd.

The car looks very sharp, but it does seem to have quite a bit of front AND rear overhangs. I hope that is not a problem on certain driveyways. I like it! :thumbup: (Though I'll admit I have never been font of SAAB interiors)

If you really sell the M3, I'd sell the conv too and just get a Boxster or something like it. You can get them pretty cheap right now. That way all the cars would be garaged.

Congrats again.

It has 1 cu ft MORE cargo capacity than the current V70. It is MUCH bigger than an 3er/C-class/A4 Avant. It is bigger than an E39 wagon. And it is MUCH bigger than most mid-size SUVs (it's bigger than all of the SUVs in this month's comparo in Car and Driver).

TD
10-20-2003, 01:49 PM
Congrats TD!

Congrats again.

It has 1 cu ft MORE cargo capacity than the current V70. It is MUCH bigger than an 3er/C-class/A4 Avant. It is bigger than an E39 wagon. And it is MUCH bigger than most mid-size SUVs (it's bigger than all of the SUVs in this month's comparo in Car and Driver).

To quote Edmunds-

"Even though this wagon boasts the luxury "sport" label, its primary purpose is still that of a convenient hauler, so cargo space is still an important aspect of the car's personality. There's 37 cubic feet behind the rear bench, and a 73 cubic feet with rear seats folded down, slightly more than the Volvo V70 (37.5 and 71.5 cubic feet), and considerably more than in the 525i wagon, which has just 32.7 and 65 cubic feet."

The HACK
10-20-2003, 01:58 PM
Hey, now you may have a car that looks as trendy as Bonoboy's.

My cuz' has a 9-3 convertible that he took me out for a ride back in '00 when he got married in Bo-town. Fast as hell but handled like a pig.

So when are you picking it up (or have you picked it up already)? I'm too lazy to go through all the posts. :D

FC
10-20-2003, 02:07 PM
To quote Edmunds-

"Even though this wagon boasts the luxury "sport" label, its primary purpose is still that of a convenient hauler, so cargo space is still an important aspect of the car's personality. There's 37 cubic feet behind the rear bench, and a 73 cubic feet with rear seats folded down, slightly more than the Volvo V70 (37.5 and 71.5 cubic feet), and considerably more than in the 525i wagon, which has just 32.7 and 65 cubic feet."

Very nice! I may have to add it to our list of potential family wagons. We'd be looking at automatics though.

TD
10-20-2003, 02:12 PM
To quote Edmunds-

Very nice! I may have to add it to our list of potential family wagons. We'd be looking at automatics though.

It's much easier to find with a slushie than with a stick.

From a smart buy perspective, used makes more sense. They do depreciate BADLY. This wagon stickered for around $44-45K back in 2000. Now it's retailing (certified) for a little more than $20K. At low $20Ks, it's a good deal. At $45K for a 2004, I'm not so sure.

TD
10-20-2003, 02:13 PM
Hey, now you may have a car that looks as trendy as Bonoboy's.

My cuz' has a 9-3 convertible that he took me out for a ride back in '00 when he got married in Bo-town. Fast as hell but handled like a pig.

So when are you picking it up (or have you picked it up already)? I'm too lazy to go through all the posts. :D

Don't have it yet. They still have a list of items to repair/retouch. And then we need to take it for a PPI before we finalize the paperwork. But we have a deal and I've put down a deposit, all contingent on a successful PPI and completion of the remaining items.

FC
10-20-2003, 02:48 PM

From a smart buy perspective, used makes more sense. They do depreciate BADLY. This wagon stickered for around $44-45K back in 2000. Now it's retailing (certified) for a little more than $20K. At low $20Ks, it's a good deal. At $45K for a 2004, I'm not so sure.

That is cheap considering how nice it looks. What year is your wagon? Miles on it?

TD
10-20-2003, 02:56 PM

That is cheap considering how nice it looks. What year is your wagon? Miles on it?

MY2000 w/ 25065 miles.

lemming
10-20-2003, 03:29 PM
TD:

i still have the Saab aero-look load bars that are in the basement, if you want them, they're yours.

obviously the drawback is that i have no idea if you were going to get saab-specific other things. might be cheaper/more effective just to get yakima/thule (in THAT order) equipment.

also: thought i might drop this link here so people can see the potential of this car. basically, of all of the engines that saab has made and makes, this one is bulletproof.

http://www.nordictuning.com/saabtuning/9-5/aero_w_3.html

or this one (saab-sanctioned in Europe)

http://www.saab-performance.com/GB_en/2_3_engine.html

TD
10-20-2003, 03:33 PM
TD:

i still have the Saab aero-look load bars that are in the basement, if you want them, they're yours.

obviously the drawback is that i have no idea if you were going to get saab-specific other things. might be cheaper/more effective just to get yakima/thule (in THAT order) equipment.

also: thought i might drop this link here so people can see the potential of this car. basically, of all of the engines that saab has made and makes, this one is bulletproof.

THANKS!

Just PM me with where to send the money to cover shipping (I can do PayPal if that's easier).

And the idea of chip tuning this wagon to be E39 M5 fast is kind of scary.

lemming
10-20-2003, 03:35 PM
TD:

THANKS!

two things:

(1) let me take some photos of the load bars and email them to you or to post them; and (s) then i will make sure i have the keys to the rack (i am damn sure that i do).

Just PM me with where to send the money to cover shipping (I can do PayPal if that's easier).

And the idea of chip tuning this wagon to be E39 M5 fast is kind of scary.

TD
10-20-2003, 03:44 PM
Now I'm on the lookout for when Blitzsafe releases a Saab to Delphi XM adapter. Per Blitzsafe's site, it's "Coming Soon". Grrr...

I bought the car kit today. The Saab is probably going on it's first roadtrip with us this weekend and I want my XM. So, for now, it'll have to play through a tape deck adapter with a cigarette lighter plug providing power. Not at all elegant.

clyde
10-20-2003, 06:30 PM

6 slots

(ever feel like you were being ignored? :paranoid: )

:D

TD
10-20-2003, 06:33 PM

6 slots

(ever feel like you were being ignored? :paranoid: )

:D

I'll autox the thing with you guys before I go autox with a bunch of strangers.

And I'm not saying you're not strange.

(You'd have been disappointed if I didn't make this dumb joke.)

Nick M3
10-20-2003, 06:43 PM
We'll both be at the Saab event.

Our wagons will walk all over your wagon! :D :twisted:

clyde
10-20-2003, 06:56 PM
We'll both be at the Saab event.

Our wagons will walk all over your wagon! :D :twisted:

They would...if he brought his wagon out to play. :cry:

Roadstergal
10-20-2003, 07:03 PM
Can I be a backseat driver in someone's wagon at the autocross? :D

"Slow down! You're going too fast! Hey...! Look! You almost hit that thing!"

clyde
10-20-2003, 07:16 PM
Can I be a backseat driver in someone's wagon at the autocross? :D

"Slow down! You're going too fast! Hey...! Look! You almost hit that thing!"

You can ride in my wagon, but are you sure that this (http://bimmerevolution.com/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=3405&highlight=#3405) won't get in the way? :P