PDA

View Full Version : Three events in a row :D

SpaceMonk
10-17-2003, 08:32 PM
Tomorrow is our chapter's last Autocross of the season. :( It's been a terrific first season for me, and the comradarie of the guys in my class has been great. Then I'm off for two days at NHIS (my second and third track days).

I've definitely been hooked, and it will be a looong offseason until next April. At least it will start off with a bang: two days of EVO schools on Easter weekend.

Nick M3
10-17-2003, 10:44 PM
:thumbup:

kognito
10-17-2003, 11:07 PM
why not do some of the winter auto-x's ????

Oh yeah, I forgot :scratch: you sold your snowtires :mrgreen:

SpaceMonk
10-17-2003, 11:14 PM

Hehe. I still want to see pictures when you put them on. :cool:

I actually may try out ice racing this winter. It's just way up in NH (3+ hours), so I'm not sure at this point. But there's a good chance the bug will get to me. :D

Nick M3
10-17-2003, 11:15 PM

I intend to be at at least some of the Philly winter series. You up for it? :D

kognito
10-17-2003, 11:45 PM

Hehe. I still want to see pictures when you put them on. :cool:

I actually may try out ice racing this winter. It's just way up in NH (3+ hours), so I'm not sure at this point. But there's a good chance the bug will get to me. :D

I'll take pictures!! the car is going to look sharp with those rims!!

I'll probably have to mount them in 2-3 weeks

that wheel pin from LeatherZ is going to come in very handy!!

kognito
10-17-2003, 11:46 PM

I intend to be at at least some of the Philly winter series. You up for it? :D

Maybe as a spectator

kognito
10-17-2003, 11:50 PM
I did some ice "racing" about 20 years ago. Well not really racing, but about 5 of use on a frozen lake with our motorcycles (modified knobbie tires)

We had a blast!!

Nick M3
10-17-2003, 11:51 PM
I did some ice "racing" about 20 years ago. Well not really racing, but about 5 of use on a frozen lake with our motorcycles (modified knobbie tires)

We had a blast!!

That sounds fucking scary.

kognito
10-18-2003, 12:18 PM

We had a blast!!

That sounds fucking scary.

No, really it was a lot of fun. We did it on enduros and dirt bikes. Once you got into 2nd or 3rd gear you would put both feet out to use them like outriggers.

Nothing high speed, just fooling around on the ice.

SpaceMonk
10-18-2003, 08:51 PM
Well, one down and two to go. :)

Had a fun day autocrossing. Sad that it's our last event this year. At least it was a beautiful day for it, as at our last event two weeks ago it was raining. (I actually did better in the rain than today) Zcasavant was able to show up today and check out our event. Hope you enjoyed the rides! :thumbup:

I didn't do as well as I hoped, but have learned a lot this year, and am very glad I got into this sport/hobby. I only wish I had started soon.

Now I have two track days ahead of me. WooHoo!

kognito
10-19-2003, 05:16 PM

I didn't do as well as I hoped, but have learned a lot this year, and am very glad I got into this sport/hobby. I only wish I had started soon.

I think that is the most important thing!! Every auto-x, track event, heck even some car shows I have been to, I always leave saying I learned new things today.

Second most important part is having fun!!!

Good luck at the track

clyde
10-19-2003, 07:23 PM

Had a fun day autocrossing. Sad that it's our last event this year. At least it was a beautiful day for it, as at our last event two weeks ago it was raining. (I actually did better in the rain than today) Zcasavant was able to show up today and check out our event. Hope you enjoyed the rides! :thumbup:

Well, today was the last regional SCCA event. While I'm not happy about where I placed I was reasonably happy with my driving. I believe that I am going to take second place for the season in D Stock in that series. If not for one spectacularly poor finish, I would have had first. Or, I would have taken first had I used R comps instead of street tires :paranoid:

Evo school next weekend and then three more autocrosses to finish up the other two series.

zach
10-19-2003, 09:10 PM
...Zcasavant was able to show up today and check out our event. Hope you enjoyed the rides! :thumbup:

Oh YEAH! I feel an autox addiction coming on. :D

It was much more fun than I anticipated.

FC
10-20-2003, 09:33 AM
...Zcasavant was able to show up today and check out our event. Hope you enjoyed the rides! :thumbup:

That was you?! When I came over eating my bagel and someone said I was mbr129? Cool. You will definitely get addicted. :D This VERY short season was a lot of fun for me (only the last 2 Autox's). Unfortunately I may not make all the Autox events next year because of my wedding, but I surely will try. Hope to see you there.

zach
10-20-2003, 09:34 AM

That was you?! When I came over eating my bagel and someone said I was mbr129? Cool. You will definitely get addicted. :D This VERY short season was a lot of fun for me (only the last 2 Autox's). Unfortunately I may not make all the Autox events next year because of my wedding, but I surely will try. Hope to see you there.

Yup, that was me. Sorry I didn't do a better job of identifying myself.

FC
10-20-2003, 10:55 AM
Yup, that was me. Sorry I didn't do a better job of identifying myself.

If you keep your M3 stock you will be in the CS class. My 330i is likely going to be re-classed to CS as well, so we'll see just how close this cars are in performance. I still think the M3 is superior when it comes down to all-out driving. It should be fun. :D

zach
10-20-2003, 10:59 AM
If you keep your M3 stock you will be in the CS class. My 330i is likely going to be re-classed to CS as well, so we'll see just how close this cars are in performance. I still think the M3 is superior when it comes down to all-out driving. It should be fun. :D

The M3 is getting Konis and S-03s. That's probably about it for next year. For street driving purposes, I'd love to have the X-brace, but it pushes me up a class.

The only thing my car has over yours is the LSD. I'm sure the results will reflect driver skill and not vehicle capability :D.

SpaceMonk
10-20-2003, 10:57 PM

:twisted:

SpaceMonk
10-25-2003, 01:07 AM
So anyways, last Sunday and Monday I was at New Hampshire International Speedway. It was my second and third day there. Of course I stared Sunday morning with a speeding ticket at 6am right on the NH border. They were there waiting for me. :cry: And I ended up leaving with a cold. But it was still a kickass time. :thumbup:

Sunday we were driving the NASCAR oval turn and then Monday was my first time driving the chicane instead for turns 1 and 2. I'll scan a map of the track later. My instructor Monday taught me a great line for that, and it was great fun. It's actually the only place on the track where you can get any sort of rythym going.

Sunday was actually a let down of sorts, since my instructor wanted me to keep DSC on the entire day. As such, my driving was quite poor, and I was getting passed by cars I shouldn't have been. That's not the point of these days, but that combined with my instructors constant harping on safety slightly lowered my confidence levels for the day. At least now I know to ask for a different instructor should the same thing happen again.

As soon as I took DSC off for Monday, everything just seemed to click. I was hitting the line better, and was able to punch up my speed by quite a bit. But for the life of me, I could never be smooth enough on the throttle, especially coming out of turn 9. Damn DBW. My instructor seemed surprised by how bad the lag was, saying that it seemed worse to him than on all the other e46's he's seen. And I had another instructor drive it, and he was surprised also. Since the Shark will seemingly never come out for my car (not that that's a perfect solution anyways), maybe it's time to even more seriously consider an e36 M3. We'll see.

It was cool talking to a few of the instructors I know, and seeing them happy and excited for me, noticing that I've been bitten by "the bug". :D Next year I should be able to make it out to Lime Rock, and maybe even Watkins Glen!