PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Door Switch Defeat Mod

lupinsea
06-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Again, not that it's particularly useful info for other 'Mudgeons. . . just a what I've recently done. The write-up is mostly for my website and a couple Jeep forum so it's a duplicate post here for your amusement.

Jeep Door Switch Defeat Mod

CONTENTS

1) Vehicle Setup
2) Review
3) Installation
4) Resources

1) VEHICLE SETUP

This modification will work with any year TJ.

2) PERFORMANCE REVIEW

Overview:
When the Jeep's doors are removed, the door switches are tripped turning on the dome and courtesy lights. Several aftermarket options, from retention clips to $25+ pre-wired switches are available to address this issue and keep the interior lights off when the doors are removed. The same effect can also be had by simply pulling the #4 fuse from the fuse block behind the glove box for free. However, removing the glove box and pulling fuse #4 can get to be old hat when you just want to remove the doors.

Review:
This effectively duplicates the more expensive aftermarket door switch defeat, um, switch. Remove the doors, flick switch. Put the doors back on, flick switch the other way. Pretty simple and straight forward. But this mod costs only about $5 or less for the switch and connectors and can easily be done as a DIY project. The end result is the same convenience but at 1/5th the cost and an investment of ~20-30 minutes at the most.

3) INSTALLATION

Remove Speaker Trim Panel:
Remove the two screws securing the trim panel in place. Pop panel out toward seat (it's also held in place by spring clips)

Locate Switch:
A good place to put the switch is at the lower corner of the trim panel. There is a pocket of space just in front and below the speaker and if you use a slim switch there is plenty of room without hitting the door. Using some tape, lay out the angle of the speaker face and upper and lower limits (Fig 1). Double check that this location will work as you get one shot. Drill an appropriate size hole for the switch, in this case, a 3/4" hole was called for (Fig 2). Mount the switch into the panel and test fit. Note in this location the switch fits but is close to the speaker (Fig 3). A little lower on the panel would have been ideal.

http://homepage.mac.com/jgreening/.Pictures/Jeepmods/door%20switch%20defeat/01goodswitcharea.jpg
Fig 1. Locating the switch in the trim panel

http://homepage.mac.com/jgreening/.Pictures/Jeepmods/door%20switch%20defeat/02drillhole.jpg
Fig 2. Drilling a 3/4" hole in the trim panel (any one want to do this with their
BMW or Porsche? :D

http://homepage.mac.com/jgreening/.Pictures/Jeepmods/door%20switch%20defeat/04testfit.jpg
Fig 3. Test fitting the switch

An alternative switch mounting location would be to fab up a simple mounting plate and attach it under the bottom edge of the dash under the glove box using the courtesy light mounting screws.

Splice OEM Wire Harness:
Remove the glove box and look at the fuse block (Fig 4). Pop the ventilation duct out of the holder and any wires out of the wire holders that are in the way. Pull Fuse #4 which is in the lower right corner of the fuse block. Verify on the fuse block diagram sticker. Remove the fuse block screws.

http://homepage.mac.com/jgreening/.Pictures/Jeepmods/door%20switch%20defeat/03fuseblockaccess.jpg
Fig 4. Splice in the new switch into the ground
circuit after accessing fuse block

This mod basically interrupts the ground circuit for the stock door switches with a 3rd switch. So that rather than pulling fuse #4, you just turn the switch off (opening the circuit). Fish out the black ground wire from behind the #4 fuse socket. There will also be two other yellow and black wires that run from the door switches. At an appropriate location to leave sufficient working room, cut the black ground wire. Strip each end of the cut ground wire and crimp on new wire leads. Tuck the wire leads out of the way and run them to the front speaker trim panel where the switch is.

Crimp on connectors for the switch end of the new wires and plug them into the back of the switch (Fig 5). Wrap the connectors in electrical tape so they aren't noticeable through the speaker grill. Carefully fit the trim panel back into place and reinstall the screws (Fig 6). Reinstall fuse #4 and reinstall the glove box.

That's it.

http://homepage.mac.com/jgreening/.Pictures/Jeepmods/door%20switch%20defeat/05wiredup.jpg
Fig 5. Connect new wire leads to the switch

http://homepage.mac.com/jgreening/.Pictures/Jeepmods/door%20switch%20defeat/06switchfinished.jpg
Fig 6. Reinstall fuse, fuse block, glove box, and trim. Finished product.

4) RESOURCES

This write-up is based heavily on a few postings from other people on jeepforum.com Most notably from user scot740. Thank you for the idea.

bren
06-30-2009, 02:06 PM
That was a lot easier on the YJ. It was simple to just reach in and unplug one of the wires on the plunger.

rautox
06-30-2009, 09:39 PM
Um, the yj had square headlights. So, like, it's totally different....

lupinsea
07-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Um, the yj had square headlights. So, like, it's totally different....
You mean the Wrongler? :D

rautox
07-01-2009, 02:41 PM
You mean the Wrongler? :D
My BIL has one. It's fun and has even more conestoga flava.

BahnBaum
07-01-2009, 02:47 PM

Conestoga flava. :lol:

Another life enriching concept.

Alex

lupinsea
07-01-2009, 05:46 PM

Some times I envy the elegant simplicity of the leaf sprung wranglers. . . . then I feel and see how my TJ easily flex out and melts over the rough terrain.

I did have an old timer who normally rides around in a CJ ride up a steep trail in my Jeep. It was only about 600 - 700 yds but he was just absolutely blown away at how much smoother the TJ was on the trail. Had him seriously thinking about buying a TJ.

I do think the interior dash layout of the YJs is particularly superior to the TJs. It has that very spartan, straight, clean layout. Where as the TJ has the billowy plastic pillow look that puffs out and encroaches a lot more into the passenger cabin.