PDA

View Full Version : The 987S, one week on...

equ
06-14-2009, 07:31 AM
Well, how does it feel? Are you still smitten and falling in love deeper?

(Or do you like your JGC more? :eeps:)

FC
06-14-2009, 09:34 AM
It rained a lot last week, but I had a chance to drive yesterday. It is a great car. The convertible thing adds a lot to it, but it doesn't hurt that the sounds of the engine are 2' away from your ear. The shifter/clutch are miles beter than the ZHP and there in no discernable lag anywhere. It's a very nimble car. I do love it. It's almost a bit too much of an attention grabber. I never expected that. I pushed it a bit and teh mid-engiend thing started to manifest itself. It feels great and just when you start telling yourself you will run out of grip it keeps hanging on. I di da skidpad test at the parking lot at work and it really does stick pretty well. It also has a very forgiving chassis (although the ZHP was pretty awesome at the limtis too).

Anyhow, interestingly, the car doesn't feel super fast, but it is faster than the ZHP even at lower rpms. I love it.

The jeep is also great. It's very liberating to have an old car. It has a surprisingly plush ride. To achieve this in a car with solid axles means you pay in the way of floatiness, but I just don't really go much over the speed limit. Although let me tell you, that V8 is silk-smooth and before you know it you can be going very fast. You find this out when a turn comes. It has lots of goodies (TPMS, 10-CD chgr, lumbar/htd/mem seats, homelink, etc) and ridiculously comfortable seats. The kid and dog love it already. For what I paid, it's a bargain.

equ
06-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Cool. What a week!

FC
06-14-2009, 05:24 PM
Let me just ad that I drove it again today (my wife sat in it for the frst time) and stayed in second until 7krpm+ and holly cow, it really screams and acclerates hard near the top. I keep forgetting that peak torque doesn't even arrive until 4400 rpm.

equ
06-14-2009, 05:34 PM
My gf likes the cayman, a lot, but she does not like riding along if I'm getting on it. She likes the seats and taking it on a trip. I need to get my thrills alone.

Also, a word of caution... It's not hard to get carried away and hit the rev limiter in 1st or 2nd. No biggie, but just so you know what happened if it does happen (I've never bounced off a bmw limiter). In the porsche, it's happened to me 2-3 times in 18k miles.

IndyMike
06-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Just catching up on the traffic over here (and finally getting over a mild case of jet lag).

But belated congrats on the acquisition, FC. :thumbup:

lemming
06-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Just catching up on the traffic over here (and finally getting over a mild case of jet lag).

But belated congrats on the acquisition, FC. :thumbup:

I'd also like to know how the 135er is.

IndyMike
06-14-2009, 06:40 PM
I'd also like to know how the 135er is.Please see my thread on the subject, lem. :)

lemming
06-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Please see my thread on the subject, lem. :)

sorry. i was anxious to know. :D

i love the fact that F'er got the droptop over the cayman, just because given the same engine, it's just more fun to hear all of the mechanical induction noises and assorted whirring and stuff.

i love the way porsche tunes its engines to sound.

FC
06-14-2009, 06:57 PM
My gf likes the cayman, a lot, but she does not like riding along if I'm getting on it. She likes the seats and taking it on a trip. I need to get my thrills alone.

Also, a word of caution... It's not hard to get carried away and hit the rev limiter in 1st or 2nd. No biggie, but just so you know what happened if it does happen (I've never bounced off a bmw limiter). In the porsche, it's happened to me 2-3 times in 18k miles.

I'm quite sure I did hit it once already. Seemed like a very benign event. I've hit it on the BMW a few times (4-5?). I've seen people in autox bounce off it for seconds at a time.