PDA

View Full Version : E46 (AWD) CV joint failure?

Terri Kennedy
06-13-2009, 08:47 PM
I was changing my rotors and pads and discovered something very unsettling. There was a greenish-gray grease all over the front right driveshaft, shock, wishbone, and so forth. As far as I can tell it came out of the outer CV joint boot. Though I looked and couldn't see / feel any tears in the boot.

It isn't noticeable during normal driving, though if I turn the steering wheel to full lock, there's a bit of a judder, presumably the tripods in the CV joint banging.

Has anybody had this happen to them?

Looking in the ETK, the outer CV joint 31-60-7-597-894, $157.45 list, and bellows repair kit 31-60-7-578-761, $39.27 list, are both available.

Is there any reason to go with a complete rebuilt driveshaft, 31-60-7-505-199, $646.44 w/ $50.00 core price, instead of just replacing the outer CV joint?

The car has 74,xxx miles on it. Is there any reason to suspect imminent failure of any of the others?

wdc330i
06-14-2009, 09:42 AM
[quote=Terry Kennedy;232463]I was changing my rotors and pads and discovered something very unsettling. There was a greenish-gray grease all over the front right driveshaft, shock, wishbone, and so forth. As far as I can tell it came out of the outer CV joint boot. Though I looked and couldn't see / feel any tears in the boot.

It isn't noticeable during normal driving, though if I turn the steering wheel to full lock, there's a bit of a judder, presumably the tripods in the CV joint banging.

Has anybody had this happen to them?[quote]

Yes. My father's 2003 325xiT has now had both replaced--it's in the shop now for the front right one.

Terri Kennedy
06-28-2009, 10:16 PM
I was changing my rotors and pads and discovered something very unsettling. There was a greenish-gray grease all over the front right driveshaft, shock, wishbone, and so forth. As far as I can tell it came out of the outer CV joint boot. Though I looked and couldn't see / feel any tears in the boot.

The shop I took it to (Shade Tree Garage (http://www.shadetreegarage.com) from the NJBMWCCA newsletter) pulled it apart and didn't see any damage to the CV joint itself. That sort of makes sense as the grease looked new and didn't have any road crud stuck in it, while the juddering when turning at lock is older.

So they put a new boot on it, greased it up, and that was that.