PDA

View Full Version : Flat engine maintenance

iateyourcheese
06-12-2009, 09:01 AM
I've been wondering for a while now. Now that a few here have had Boxsters or Caymans (or 911s for that matter), how is maintenance on these cars? Oil change? Spark plugs, etc.? Or are your cars too new?

I just got done changing the plugs on my wife's Subaru flat-4 and it was a terrible experience. The engine bay was obviously not designed with the turbo engine in mind as there is 1" of clearance between the frame rails and the coil packs. Just enough for slim wrenches and small hands. Looking at subaruforester.org, the two hours it took me to change the four plugs was actually on the shorter side. That included removing the intake track, windshield wiper bottle, battery, and other misc. parts just to see the plugs.

Please tell me that Porsche is better with this stuff on the Boxster or Cayman. What sort of access is there to the engine bay? Is it best to come up from underneath the car? How is the oil change?

equ
06-12-2009, 09:16 AM
The oil change (which I haven't done but watched) is trivial, just like any other car if you have a lift. I don't know anyone who DIY's an oil change in NYC.

I can only imagine that for all else, the boxster/cayman are very bad in terms of reach. The cover off the top is very limited. I was able to do the air filter myself, and can see that beyond the intake, you reach almost nothing from the top. Not sure about the spark plugs, but my guess is far from trivial.

Nick M3
06-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Step 1: Remove engine.

The good news is that step 1 is designed to be relatively easy. K's Turbo is going to need a new clutch in the not too distant future, so I guess we will be able to report back after that.

John V
06-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Oh goodness.

Boxsters are really easy to work on. Engine removal is not necessary for most operations. The plugs are easy to get to with the rear of the car on ramps (but having the wheels off makes things easier). The belts are accessed from behind the rear seats - there is a screw-in panel behind the carpet. The air filter is accessed from the top (it helps to stand on something to improve your reach) and oil changes are a piece of cake.

FC
06-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Just got the car, but judging by they very awesome packaging job done internally, I would guess that they put a lot of thought into making maintenace as easy as possible. These are their entry-level cars. Porsche labor must be insane. If things were difficult, it would take a long time. The Boxster wouldn't have lasted long if basic maintenance were $4K.

iateyourcheese
06-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Step 1: Remove engine.

The good news is that step 1 is designed to be relatively easy. K's Turbo is going to need a new clutch in the not too distant future, so I guess we will be able to report back after that.

The latest suggestion on changing the plugs in the turbo Subie engines is to unbolt the motor mounts and use a floor jack to lift the engine a few inches above the frame rails.

Thanks for the responses. There's a Cayman I park near at work that I've been lusting after now for some time. Just trying to picture what it would be like to own one out of warranty.

lupinsea
06-12-2009, 01:18 PM
I've been wondering for a while now. Now that a few here have had Boxsters or Caymans (or 911s for that matter), how is maintenance on these cars? Oil change? Spark plugs, etc.? Or are your cars too new?

I just got done changing the plugs on my wife's Subaru flat-4 and it was a terrible experience. The engine bay was obviously not designed with the turbo engine in mind as there is 1" of clearance between the frame rails and the coil packs. Just enough for slim wrenches and small hands. Looking at subaruforester.org, the two hours it took me to change the four plugs was actually on the shorter side. That included removing the intake track, windshield wiper bottle, battery, and other misc. parts just to see the plugs.

Please tell me that Porsche is better with this stuff on the Boxster or Cayman. What sort of access is there to the engine bay? Is it best to come up from underneath the car? How is the oil change?

Sounds a little like the Mazda Millenias, I've heard the spark plug changes on that are a bear to reach the last couple plugs located under the firewall or something along those lines.

Slightly annoyed that on the BMW I had to remove the cabin air intake stuff. Not to bad and once off the spark plug change was a piece of cake. . . quite awesome actually. The Jeep is laughably easy regarding it's access.

Optimus Prime
06-12-2009, 03:07 PM
My flat engine is the easiest of all my vehicles to work on. :D