PDA

View Full Version : Well, finally got around to replacing the front brakes.

FC
05-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Not bad at all other than after 59,870 miles and 6 years in NE, the rotors had found a happy home and it took some coaxing to get them out.

I just came back from bedding them and the brakes feel very nice. The car is begging for a bleeding, but the fadish feel is gone.

As you can see from the photos (will post soon), one of the pads (passenger/non-sensor side) was down to the metal.:ack: Of course, the sensor pad had the most material left so it never tripped.:rolleyes:

A bit stinky as the top layer of the rotor got cleaned out, but overall very quick and clean job. No issues.

Very happy with the new brakes.:)

Oh, and I must have mistakenly selected and paid for 2 sensors while ending up not needing any. I guess I'll return them.

FC
05-25-2009, 12:14 PM
pics...

lupinsea
05-26-2009, 02:10 PM
:thumbup:

That reminds me, I need to bleed the brakes on the Jeep (probably). It's been a couple years at least. And I'm coming up on my 100k fluid service for the ZHP, too. Figure I'll change the brake fluid / bleed system while I'm at it.

rumatt
05-26-2009, 02:27 PM
Hmm... wore the passenger side down the metal, but the driver side hadn't tripped the sensor yet?

Is this normal or is this is sign of a stuck caliper? Or that you do a lot of braking in left hand turns???

When I changed mine, the inside pad was significantly more worn than the outer (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=9522), but they were symmetric on both sides of the car.

FC
05-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Hmm... wore the passenger side down the metal, but the driver side hadn't tripped the sensor yet?

Is this normal or is this is sign of a stuck caliper? Or that you do a lot of braking in left hand turns???

When I changed mine, the inside pad was significantly more worn than the outer (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=9522), but they were symmetric on both sides of the car.

The brake calipers were both fine. I don't really know. At that stage of wear I am not worried about any issues. If one pad were down to metal and the others had 50% life, or even 25% left, I'd worry. That one was partially at nothing versus all others being at almost nothing doesn't really concern me. They feel great so far.

John V
05-26-2009, 06:21 PM
And you've flushed the brake fluid every 1-2 years, correct?

FC
05-26-2009, 06:36 PM
And you've flushed the brake fluid every 1-2 years, correct?

Yup. I'm (over)due for my third flush @ 6 years and 60k miles.

iateyourcheese
05-27-2009, 10:07 AM
OE pads and rotors, or something special?