PDA

View Full Version : Broken brakes?

geebeemer
04-24-2009, 07:37 AM
The patient is a '97 S-10, 6 banger, ABS with 113k. When wet out, or early in the drive time, if I just press on the brakes I hear a funky squishy sound and one of the front calipers will hold, locking up, while the other is free to roll. Double pump it and both lock normally.

A genuine pita in traffic - but once she's warmed up, seems to do better.

My guess is I've got a master cylinder to replace this weekend, but I'm concerned that's a waste of cash if there's some secondary distribution block on the fritz, given the ABS setup.

Wutcha think? :dunno:

FC
04-24-2009, 08:44 AM
Could be that the calipers need to be re-built. That seems to happen more often than master cylinder failures. Ask Zach. :eeps:

zach
04-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Could be that the calipers need to be re-built. That seems to happen more often than master cylinder failures. Ask Zach. :eeps:

:ack: Yes, all of my calipers have been replaced at least once, several of them twice over the last 6 or so years.

That said, pumping the brakes never did anything when my calipers were bad. :dunno:

geebeemer
04-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Hm, any outward indication on bad calipers? From a visual inspection there's no bluing of the rotors or grooving at all. And the brakes generally work fine on the 2nd pump. :?

Wish I could "write out" the sound! :lol:

FC
04-24-2009, 09:16 AM
Hm, any outward indication on bad calipers? From a visual inspection there's no bluing of the rotors or grooving at all. And the brakes generally work fine on the 2nd pump. :?

Wish I could "write out" the sound! :lol:

I skimmed and missed the 2nd pump thing. Yeah, I would say it does sound like the cylinder. I can't think of anything else right now.

geebeemer
04-24-2009, 09:35 AM
Cool - thx guys! :wink2:

Does this mean I should've posted this in the perseverators forum? :erstaunt: :ack:

Nick M3
04-24-2009, 10:12 AM
I guess I would want to know how the car is plumbed before I said "master cylinder." I mean, if the calipers are on the same cylinder (which they typically are), then I'm ambivalent about it.

Have you tried flushing the fluid out? It kind of sounds more like you've got either a blockage, or a big air bubble.

geebeemer
04-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Comes out of the master cyl and goes straight into a rather complex assembly that must be the ABS - certainly not just your typ distribution block. :?

Wires & connectors, brake input/output lines, etc., comprise this secondary assembly - but the front and rear lines out of the master go into their own inputs on this secondary. *Looks* as though I'd be able to bleed them normally as it appears these are only balancing check valves of some sort - though likely will require the car to be running to work properly.

Will try for the purge and bleed option first - if nothing else, this will put new juice in the lines.

misterlance
04-24-2009, 11:43 AM
The patient is a '97 S-10, 6 banger, ABS with 113k. When wet out, or early in the drive time, if I just press on the brakes I hear a funky squishy sound and one of the front calipers will hold, locking up, while the other is free to roll. Double pump it and both lock normally.

A genuine pita in traffic - but once she's warmed up, seems to do better.

My guess is I've got a master cylinder to replace this weekend, but I'm concerned that's a waste of cash if there's some secondary distribution block on the fritz, given the ABS setup.

Wutcha think? :dunno:

Sounds like you have a leak. Check the rear wheel cylinders on the drum brakes.

geebeemer
04-24-2009, 12:39 PM
Sounds like you have a leak. Check the rear wheel cylinders on the drum brakes.

Well, the truck has had the issue as long as I've had it (8 months) - but will check for bloody kankles when I get home. :eeps:

:lol:

geebeemer
04-24-2009, 02:06 PM
:lol: Well I certainly didn't feel very technically superior!

:p

Rob
04-24-2009, 08:27 PM
I have just resisted the urge to add "doesntunderstandbrakesbot" to the tag list. That is all.

geebeemer
04-25-2009, 08:23 AM
I have just resisted the urge to add "doesntunderstandabsbrakesbot" to the tag list. That is all.

Fixed. :ack: