PDA

View Full Version : Should I?

equ
04-11-2009, 08:37 PM
For:

1. Hawt! White on red looks good enough for me to be impulsive. The red is a nice brick red, did not photograph too well, but great in person. Just look at that thing... Also saw a nice NEW silver one today, but this one wipes the floor in hotness. My atlas gray croc looks cerebral in comparison.

2. Engine. Smooth, mellow and powerful. Grunty in the bottom and revvy up top, gives little to v8's (that means you, m3)

3. Spacious feel inside, more like a normal car.

4. This particular one is optioned/built very well. Full stitched leather, nav, sports seats, pasm, sport chrono, black deviating carpets, etc. etc. I could never bring myself to build a car with such options (and pay for them brand new).

5. The price is good, and I'm getting a pretty decent trade-in value for my cayman.

Some reasons against:

1. The biggest one is that I would miss the cayman. It is much more toy/cart-like to drive, the 911 is bigger inside which is a plus but it does feel bigger to drive as well. The little croc is one of the few modern cars that are halfway points to bikes and the carrera even in S mode, is a step back towards normal cars (with all the pluses and minuses). That, I feel, makes it a bit less different/special than the cayman. There are many gt's like the rs4/m3/etc and what not that feel good despite the weight, due to clever suspension and other trickery. There is certainly a bit of that in this 997S. You do feel the greater weight, but it is also more planted in a way with a more sophisticated suspension. The croc is simple and light in comparison...

2. More than twice the price of the cayman, it's certainly not twice the fun. In fact, it might be less fun.

3. With the recent loss of my father, such a flashy purchase feels a bit inappropriate. Not that any of my family is on this side of the pond to see it, but then again, this may not be the right way to think about things.

I'm thinking, I'm thinking... :dunno::dunno:

clyde
04-11-2009, 09:32 PM
did not photograph too well, but great in person.

If you say so

Just look at that thing...

I did. May I please have some new eyes?

I don't have a problem with red as an interior color...it just doesn't seem to work all that well in that configuration. But if you like it, you like it.

ff
04-11-2009, 11:45 PM
Red interiors definitely aren't my thing. I would be concerned about resale value, as it can be a polarizing interior color.

equ
04-12-2009, 07:25 AM
Good to see some dissenting opinions...

Stu only seems to like GT* or Italian. I have no/little interest in those at this point.
Ff/Clyde don't like the interior. I have no issues with that (the dealer pics that I linked up are horribly shot) if I built a car, I'd even consider red (though would likely not have the balls to do it).

The big dealio is giving up the smallness/fun of the cayman for something bigger and faster.

JST
04-12-2009, 07:27 AM
+1 on the interior color--it is a nice car, but I'm concerned that you'll have trouble turning it over when (inevitably) you decide to get rid of it.

FC
04-12-2009, 09:06 AM
I dig red interiors (despite my wife's opinion) but only when they are an accent on an otherwise black interior (inside seat surfaces - part of door panel, etc. Think E46 nat brown). This is too much red, IMO.

Also, if it were me, given that you have a nice BMW sedan (RWD and all), I'd keep my 2nd car/sportscar, a bit more focused. You have no kids anyhow.

I say pass on it and keep your money. Spend a bit on a track day, bring the crock along, have a blast with it and I bet that will keep carlust at bay for some time.

;)

Plaz
04-12-2009, 09:12 AM
I vote for pass.

JST
04-12-2009, 09:38 AM
I dig red interiors (despite my wife's opinion) but only when they are an accent on an otherwise black interior (inside seat surfaces - part of door panel, etc. Think E46 nat brown). This is too much red, IMO.

Also, if it were me, given that you have a nice BMW sedan (RWD and all), I'd keep my 2nd car/sportscar, a bit more focused. You have no kids anyhow.

I say pass on it and keep your money. Spend a bit on a track day, bring the crock along, have a blast with it and I bet that will keep carlust at bay for some time.

;)

Yeah, I think that the only way that this makes sense is if you dump the BMW and the Cayman and go down to one car. Otherwise, the Cayman is both cheaper and better at the mission you have for it (being a fun 2d car).

You'll have plenty of time to have four seat cars when/if you have kids. Keep the Cayman. Or get a Corvette.

dan
04-12-2009, 09:49 AM
if you want it you should get it

wdc330i
04-12-2009, 10:26 AM
if you want it you should get it

I agree.

And yet, although I love red, this much red blows my mind.

Sharp11
04-12-2009, 11:22 AM
E,

This is one of those that's hard to rationalize, either you really want it or you don't.

I'd imagine you're considering trading two cars for one - it makes sense to do that since the 911 is more of a GT.

Personally, I like the color combo.

Ed

GimpyMcFarlan
04-12-2009, 11:55 AM

Big +1 on that. I love the E46 M3 Imola interior but the one on the P-car is over the top. IMHO red seats and accents on the doors, shifter, etc are good but a red dash, steering wheel, etc is just to much.

FC
04-12-2009, 01:21 PM
Big +1 on that. I love the E46 M3 Imola interior but the one on the P-car is over the top. IMHO red seats and accents on the doors, shifter, etc are good but a red dash, steering wheel, etc is just to much.

Werd. That's red done right.

equ
04-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Umm, it actually has to be seen, the m3 pic is without flash, I'm sure the dealer picture that I posted is with (and bad exposure). The red dash is not a big deal, it's actually quite nice, nicer than bmw red interior if you ask me, as long as the carpet deviates to black.

wdc330i
04-12-2009, 02:11 PM

Love this combo. I also love Imola exterior/Black interior. And any kind of dark grey exterior with red interior. The red needs a fair amount of blue in it though, not an orangey tone like BMW's Bright Red of a few years back.

rumatt
04-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Definitely pass.

I'm not ready for your Cayman yet. Gimmie one more year?

Melissa
04-12-2009, 04:17 PM
I'm not really sure what my dream car is now, but whatever it is, it will be white exterior, red interior.

However, red dash? I dunno. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, tho.

lupinsea
04-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Seems like your Cayman is a nicer car overall. I know there's a certain cache to the 911's but . . . .

Were it me, I'd pass.

Theo
04-13-2009, 09:02 PM
It's worse than dirty/old pale gray leather of the E36 M3, which is to say, really bad.

Nothing is worse then E36 dove grey. Hands down the worst leather to take care of ever.