PDA

View Full Version : things to ponder in addition to R56-based convertible?

lemming
03-26-2009, 02:40 PM
just curious.

this likely pre-empts any other purchase, esp. if the Camaro isn't all that great.

the Cooper S convertible can 'pretend' to hold more than 2 people, which is somewhat of a bonus.

i like its power to weight ratio, too.

JST
03-26-2009, 03:25 PM
I know you aren't a Ford guy and that you hate live axles, but a Mustang GT convertible wouldn't cost much more than an R56 and would give you a bit of Camaro flavor while also allowing wind-in-the-hair.

Josh (PA)
03-26-2009, 04:10 PM
just curious.

this likely pre-empts any other purchase, esp. if the Camaro isn't all that great.

the Cooper S convertible can 'pretend' to hold more than 2 people, which is somewhat of a bonus.

E46 m3c?

Theo
03-26-2009, 04:12 PM
E46 m3c?

With an extened warrenty required!!

FC
03-26-2009, 04:15 PM
just curious.

This would be in addition to the MCS coupe?

wdc330i
03-26-2009, 04:21 PM
just curious.

128 or 135 convertible? I had a 335 convertible as a loaner yesteday, and have to admit I prefered the 128 I tried awhile back. The 3 felt much more like a composed sedan/coupe than a tossable hair blower.

ff
03-26-2009, 04:25 PM
S2000 :group:

lemming
03-26-2009, 04:29 PM
This would be in addition to the MCS coupe?

yep.

1 R56. 1 potential R57. 1 FX.

#4 tbd at a later time.

:dunno:

FC
03-26-2009, 04:43 PM
yep.

1 R56. 1 potential R57. 1 FX.

#4 tbd at a later time.

:dunno:

Cool! My wife will be very jealous.

wdc330i
03-26-2009, 07:50 PM
wow. Do two Minis make one Maxi?

lemming
03-26-2009, 09:12 PM
wow. Do two Minis make one Maxi?

One driver for keeping the MINIs is I really believe that oil will spike even more rapidly than last time. And like last time, I want to minimize its impact on my life.

Sharp11
03-27-2009, 12:53 AM
Mini verts are pretty nifty.

I like the old ones with the roll hoops though.

Wouldn't kick a new one out of the garage however.

Ed

wdc330i
03-27-2009, 08:39 AM
One driver for keeping the MINIs is I really believe that oil will spike even more rapidly than last time. And like last time, I want to minimize its impact on my life.

How does the mini vert drive? I've never tried one. I'm set on a convertible for the future--1 series, Boxster, used Z, e46cic. I've driven everyone but the Boxster. I want a cloth top, and if I'm being practical, it'd really help to have vestigial back seat...

FC
03-27-2009, 08:44 AM
Um, lem... you still owe me a test drive of your JCW stage 1.:toetap:

lemming
03-27-2009, 09:36 AM
How does the mini vert drive? I've never tried one. I'm set on a convertible for the future--1 series, Boxster, used Z, e46cic. I've driven everyone but the Boxster. I want a cloth top, and if I'm being practical, it'd really help to have vestigial back seat...

i've only driven the R53-based (supercharged) convertible and that was a freaking blast.

as much as i hate FWD, the wheelbase is so short the car can whip around corners.

that was the test drive (in Boston) where i scared the holy hell out of the salesperson because he suggested i "check out the handling" --if you're familiar with Chambers MINI, there is a hard left into the dealership from Comm Ave (?) and i heel/toe downshifted, turned and basically slid the car into a parking spot (almost like a commercial). The MINI GM was outside chatting and saw this.

this was one of those things that could have gone either way. they were impressed. :D

then i drove the R56 with the turbo and just couldn't buy the supercharged car.

so, if the R57 handles like the R56 but with the turbo engine, it's really a no brainer for me.

JST
03-27-2009, 10:40 AM
There's this:

http://jalopnik.com/5186259/2009-infiniti-g37-convertible-first-drive

Available with a stick, which surprised me.

John V
03-27-2009, 11:07 AM

Well damn, why did you not request a test drive when I still had the Boxster? It was just BEGGING for someone to take it out and exercise it.

wdc330i
03-27-2009, 11:20 AM
Well damn, why did you not request a test drive when I still had the Boxster? It was just BEGGING for someone to take it out and exercise it.

Woof! I should have...

I was at Tischer with the wagon day before yesterday, and strayed over to their Porsche showroom...But, this won't happen anytime soon--not with a new SUV, a three-year old, and a spouse who doesn't share the grand car passion.

lemming
03-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Woof! I should have...

I was at Tischer with the wagon day before yesterday, and strayed over to their Porsche showroom...But, this won't happen anytime soon--not with a new SUV, a three-year old, and a spouse who doesn't share the grand car passion.

:irate:

lemming
03-28-2009, 07:00 PM
how come no one suggested CPO boxster?

was that too obvious?

Sharp11
03-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Woof! I should have...

If the timing works out, mine might be available when you're ready :)

Ed

FC
03-28-2009, 10:13 PM
how come no one suggested CPO boxster?

was that too obvious?

No, it's just different. For me, in your situation, 987/S all the way.:dunno: But it's her car, so...

wdc330i
03-29-2009, 09:21 AM
If the timing works out, mine might be available when you're ready :)

Ed

Hmm. Do let me know. (I might have a fix for my left-foot problem. I developed metatarsalgia, which makes shifting quite painful and hence made me roll over to pressure for an all automatic fleet in the family. But I've got an orthotic on the horizon that may well do the trick.)

lemming
03-29-2009, 02:35 PM
drove the R57 (thanks, Fil).

it's a really fun car. the top operates very simply and it has a heated glass rear window (a bonus to me). there was some minimal chassis shake but really not that noticeable unless you were really looking for it.

steering turn-in is as sharp as the hardtop. in fact, dynamically, it was really very close to driving a hardtop. boring conclusion, but that says a lot about how well the convertible is executed.

even without the JCW stage 1 package the car has plenty of scoot. the SPORT buttons makes a huge difference on the standard Cooper S drivetrain.

not in a huge rush, but i think we're going to order a car mid-april. it's really well done.

wdc330i
03-30-2009, 09:57 AM
drove the R57 (thanks, Fil).

it's a really fun car. the top operates very simply and it has a heated glass rear window (a bonus to me). there was some minimal chassis shake but really not that noticeable unless you were really looking for it.

steering turn-in is as sharp as the hardtop. in fact, dynamically, it was really very close to driving a hardtop. boring conclusion, but that says a lot about how well the convertible is executed.

even without the JCW stage 1 package the car has plenty of scoot. the SPORT buttons makes a huge difference on the standard Cooper S drivetrain.

not in a huge rush, but i think we're going to order a car mid-april. it's really well done.

Very cool!