PDA

View Full Version : Maybe stuka is right...

FC
03-20-2009, 11:19 AM
This is a pretty nice 996TT (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18K-MLS-6SPD-NO-PAINTWORK-IMMACULATE-TURBO_W0QQitemZ170312184665QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_C ars_Trucks?hash=item170312184665&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A317%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318 ). The car looks brand new and has the few options I would want (except full leather - but at least it's black).

Not that I'm looking now, but by the time I would buy an M3 sedan (12-18 months - if I do) my youngest would be at or very near FF age, so a 911 is not completely insane as a part-time commuter.

If I'm willing to consider a 55K M3, I can also consider ~$45K 996TT's and 997S' (both of these available now at ~$50K).

The 996TT is heavy, but still lighter than an M3 and with much more torque - and way down on the depreciation curve.

Just thinking "aloud"...

clyde
03-20-2009, 03:48 PM
The 996TT is heavy, but still lighter than an M3 and with much more torque - and way down on the depreciation curve.

Just thinking "aloud"...

I'd also consider the maintenance/repair issues that a $45k 996TT is likely to require in comparison to an M3 (or anything that's new, almost new). Even not considering cost, you may want to think about the PITA factor as well.

I'm not advocating or dismissing either...just kind of a "nothing is free" thought...

Nick M3
03-20-2009, 04:00 PM
I'd also consider the maintenance/repair issues that a $45k 996TT is likely to require in comparison to an M3 (or anything that's new, almost new). Even not considering cost, you may want to think about the PITA factor as well.

I'm not advocating or dismissing either...just kind of a "nothing is free" thought...
Figure $5K a year on a Porsche Turbo in basic maintenance. Some years will be better, some will be *much* worse.

FC
03-20-2009, 04:01 PM

I agree. It is a big consideration and I have brought it up before as well. The M3 is the leading contender still.

John V
03-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Warranty Direct? :ack:

Nick M3
03-20-2009, 05:31 PM
Really?

My experience with the 996 M64 Turbo engine has been way way less.

The 996 Turbo's are a lot cheaper to run than the 993, I looked into this.
*shrug* Or you trash the car when the engine needs to be rebuilt.

FC
03-20-2009, 06:03 PM
*shrug* Or you trash the car when the engine needs to be rebuilt.

Yes. That's potentially a huge issue. But also no different than a GT3. Still, that's why the key is to look for a low-mile, unmolested sample - and you certainly pay a premium for that.

The car I posted is mint, 18k miles, and from '03. There are others going for 10k less.

clyde
03-21-2009, 12:12 AM
They have worked beautifully for my MIL.

Did they screw you or something?

Has anything significant failed on her car yet?

My experience with them has been mixed. Buying the contract has saved me money, no doubt, but it's not just about money. There's about 8 months or 17k miles left on the contract for the wagon. I did not buy one for the Armada when that factory warranty was expiring.

Based on what I've read/heard, if I was going to buy another (not factory backed) extended service contract on anything, it would probably still be them. My expectations would be more in line with reality, though.

Xenon light won't self adjust height? WD to repair facility: "Pop a new $750 one in there, no problem, here's the CC number."

A/C condensor fail? WD to repair facility: "Uh, we're going to have to send one of our guys out there to confirm failure, how does a week from Thursday sound?" WD to repair facility on the Monday following the Thursday: "Yes, our man isn't convinced that it needs to be replaced. Oh, you still think it does? We'll send someone else out for a second opinion Wednesday of next week." WD to repair facility on the Monday following that Wednesday: "Ok, the second guy agrees with you that it may be reasonable to replace," and then offers to pay labor for half the book time. And takes three extra days to pay.

Half-shaft boot split, loose grease, half-shaft get torn up? WD to repair facility: "Go ahead and replace the boot, that's covered. The half-shaft, not so much. The half-shaft was clearly damaged by a loss of lubricant, so it is not covered." WD to customer: "That is correct sir. If your oilpan spontaneously cracked and the sudden loss of oil caused your engine to seize before you could safely pull over, we would pay to replace your oilpan and oilpan only."

They send us new window regulators every 90 days whether we need them or not. It is an E46 after all.

SARAFIL
03-21-2009, 08:26 AM
WD to customer: "That is correct sir. If your oilpan spontaneously cracked and the sudden loss of oil caused your engine to seize before you could safely pull over, we would pay to replace your oilpan and oilpan only."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love extended warranty companies and their horrible way of justifying their decisions.

FC
03-21-2009, 08:39 AM
The thing is, if I drove my car like I did 3+ years ago (15-20k miles) I'd be looking at warranties. But with how little drive now, I don't know that it makes too much sense now.

John V
03-22-2009, 05:55 AM
They have worked beautifully for my MIL.

Did they screw you or something?

I've never bought one of their warranties - but a fellow Boxster buddy did, and they wouldn't pay up when his trans bit the big one.