PDA

View Full Version : Water blade

Mathew
03-18-2009, 12:56 PM
I know detailing isn't one of the top subject matters here, but does anyone here use a water blade, specifically on dark colored cars?

I'm pretty OCD about detailing to begin with. Having a brand new car, starting off on a clean slate, and it being jet black is really pushing me to do everything as close to perfect as I can. In particular, I want to minimize the amount of swirl marks and other light scratches after every wash. I have a water blade, but I haven't used it because it's coming apart from the handle. I started using it several years ago when I had my old car. It was very easy to use and drastically reduced drying time. Then I would do a once over with a microfiber or waffle-weave drying towel. I was always careful using the water blade, but since it was silver and already had its share of swirl marks I couldn't really tell if it was adding to the problem. I've been reading reviews online and they're pretty much evenly divided about scratches. Another thought that came to my mind is whether or not it would strip off wax. Should I continue using a water blade, or just stick to towel drying?

I always knew that black cars show everything, but I had no idea it would be this magnified.

lupinsea
03-18-2009, 01:16 PM
Were it me I think I'd use the water blade. In fact, I used to use one on my Miata which was a dark metalic burgundy color. The color wasn't as bad as black and the metalic helped "hide" the swirl marks a bit but it was still a color that would show a lot of stuff. The water blade didn't seem to cause it problems after 3 years of careful / frequent washing and cleaning. In fact, when I sold the car, the new buyer said it looked better than the new cars he saw on the dealer lots.

I'd certainly make sure you do a good job of washing so the water blade doesn't drag grit over the paint, though.

The last 3 years I've fallen off a cliff in terms of car washing and detailing. It's rather embarashing. It's ok with the Jeep but the BMW and Volvo?

As it is I've stopped using the water blade and my nice boar's hair wash brush. Now I'm using a synthetic brush w/ a broom-length handle on it. Greatly speeds up washing, though with perhaps a bit less precision and perhaps not as soft as the boar's hair brush. At this point, more frequent washings are probably better than perfect, but rarely done washings.

ff
03-18-2009, 01:17 PM
I use a water blade on the windows, and then a microfiber waffle weave chamois type towel on the rest of the car. For the thickness and size of that towel, I'm amazed at how much water it soaks up. It works really well.

Mathew
03-18-2009, 01:29 PM
I'd certainly make sure you do a good job of washing so the water blade doesn't drag grit over the paint, though.

That was another hesitation I had. There's no wax on the car, and I'm not sure if I feel comfortable dragging it across the surfaces. That's a lot of friction on top of the clear coat.

I definitely became more casual as the years went by with my old car. But in the beginning, I was pretty clueless when it came to detailing. I want to at least have a good "head start" before that happens again.

Luckily I don't have to do a lot of driving for now and it's been a bit of a garage queen. It's been almost three months and I'm still under 1,000, almost half of the miles coming from a single road trip.

Rob
03-18-2009, 01:37 PM
I am way beyond "pretty OCD" about the car.

The first thing to do is get a cover and use it. Really. Instead of having a dirty car after 3 days, you have a clean car for 3 weeks. But you have to use it all the time b/c as soon as you get dust on the car, you have to speed shine before you drag the cover over it.

As for the water blade, I stared in an inconspicuous area and used it for about two months (before I became enlightened about the cover) before I trusted the rest of the car to it. I cannot tell a difference in marks from the water bladed section to the non water bladed section (there are marks, but the towels leave marks too). So I started using it again.

But you have jet black . . . it's going to show marks no matter what you do. I loved my jet black 330, but after a year or so, I had to close my eyes to the defects when I washed it and back away to see what it looked like from 15 feet after I was done. A porter cable system will save your sanity if you have the time to use it.

Having said all of that, you have to take it all in context. I live in southern California and my car never gets very dirty. There is no snow, salt or even rain for most of the year. If I notice imperfections when I pull the cover off, I speed shine them. If I notice imperfections when I am putting the cover on after I get to work, I get the speed shine out of the trunk and speed shine them. (Yes, I have a full detail kit in the trunk.) I use spray on wax every time I wash the car (real spray on wax lasts for awhile and helps extend the time between real wax jobs and works a lot better than it used to). The car gets dirty during the rainy season. Other than that, the only thing that I ever allow to really get dirty is the wheels and I clean them through and wash the backs of the spokes every time I wash the car.

If you live in a dusty area or an area with more harsh conditions and you wash a jet black car in a hurry and drag a water blade over it, you will have left grit during the wash and the grit will leave marks. They are easy to remove with a polisher, but they will be there.

I don't know if it really matters, but I replace the water blade every couple of years, too. I worry that the edge might start to harden and leave marks.

Fwiw - confessions of a car detail fanatic.

Rob
03-18-2009, 01:38 PM
That was another hesitation I had. There's no wax on the car, and I'm not sure if I feel comfortable dragging it across the surfaces. That's a lot of friction on top of the clear coat.

I definitely became more casual as the years went by with my old car. But in the beginning, I was pretty clueless when it came to detailing. I want to at least have a good "head start" before that happens again.

Luckily I don't have to do a lot of driving for now and it's been a bit of a garage queen. It's been almost three months and I'm still under 1,000, almost half of the miles coming from a single road trip.

Wax the damn car!! Clay it first. Then wax it! That's the most important step to avoiding swirl marks b/c stuff slides off a lot easier.

Rob
03-18-2009, 01:41 PM
Lup, the boars hair wash brush is out dated. I tried mine a month or so ago, set it aside and went back to my new method. The microfiber wash pads are significantly better to use and they get significantly more dirt of the car on the first pass. In fact, when Griot's goes to shows these days (or at least the last few times I have seen them), they don't bring the boars hair brush with them. Lots of different wash mit choices though.

Mathew
03-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Wax the damn car!! Clay it first. Then wax it! That's the most important step to avoiding swirl marks b/c stuff slides off a lot easier.

I'm reading up on what new products are out now and how well they work. I like Griot's. I've used all of their top products almost exclusively on my last car, and I absolutely love Speed Shine. I'm currently finishing off the last of my Car Wash and Wheel Cleaner. But Griot's is expensive, expensive to ship, and shipping takes a long time. I don't mind paying a little premium for a better product, but sometimes that premium is 100% or more. If I can find something equally good for half the price, I'll go with that. But so far, I'm leaning back to Griot's.

I also use a car cover. It makes a huge difference, especially when the dust piles on after several days.

clyde
03-18-2009, 02:26 PM
Never had a problem with scratches from a water blade on my Orient Blue wagon. I didn't/don't use it when there's a lot of pollen in the air under the assumption that enough pollen will land on the car while wet that I'd be asking for it if I did, but other than that...

Rob
03-18-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm reading up on what new products are out now and how well they work. I like Griot's. I've used all of their top products almost exclusively on my last car, and I absolutely love Speed Shine. I'm currently finishing off the last of my Car Wash and Wheel Cleaner. But Griot's is expensive, expensive to ship, and shipping takes a long time. I don't mind paying a little premium for a better product, but sometimes that premium is 100% or more. If I can find something equally good for half the price, I'll go with that. But so far, I'm leaning back to Griot's.

I also use a car cover. It makes a huge difference, especially when the dust piles on after several days.

When I got the 335, I bought gallons of Griot's stuff and new wash pads and drying towels and even some new micro fiber cloths (the need for those was questionable - I have a bunch) - and the total was like $100. I was shocked that it wasn't more. Granted, they came through town with The Good Guys hot rod show, so I didnt' have to pay shipping, but it was a lot less than I expected. Was it less than somebody else's price for similar quality goods? I have no idea. But it seemed reasonable to me for basic car care stuff. I wouldn't choose to buy tools from them though.

lupinsea
03-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Lup, the boars hair wash brush is out dated. I tried mine a month or so ago, set it aside and went back to my new method. The microfiber wash pads are significantly better to use and they get significantly more dirt of the car on the first pass. In fact, when Griot's goes to shows these days (or at least the last few times I have seen them), they don't bring the boars hair brush with them. Lots of different wash mit choices though.

Ah, good to know. Don't feel so guilty now passing on the boar's hair brush (it was expensive at the time). My cleaning implement of choice now is the wash brush / mop / thingy I mentioned. Got it from Schucks for ~$10. I do want to get a smaller, slightly siffer brush for crevases such as body panel lines, around the seam of lights and turn signal housing, and around handles and raised lettering.

It's just unbelievable how I went from a semi-Rob-like OCD state over my Miata to an almost devil-may-care attitude toward the ZHP. Part of it is time. It doesn't take that much time to wash a car semi-ok, but to really get into it I can take a couple hours, easitly, to do a half-way decent job of washing and cleaning a car.