PDA

View Full Version : It's tmie for a porter cable polisher: need recommendations for basic setup

rumatt
03-08-2009, 04:30 PM
I've had the E46 and have yet to use a porter cable polisher on it. :ack: It's time.

I can order the PC polisher itself with no problem, but there seem to be a lot of options for the pads and the polishes themselves, and opinions I find when searching. Can anyone recommend a basic setup (which pads and polishes, etc) as a startup kit?

I would like to finish with Klass AIO and SG, because I'm familiar with them. I'm not sure if that ties in. In terms of what polish I need, I don't want to go too aggressive, but the car does has a some decent swirls. I think they ran it through a sand paper washer when the shipped it to ca. :mad:

zach
03-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Does this mean what I hope it means?

rumatt
03-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Hmm, found this thread (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=5748).

Still lots of options and opinions though... White pads, yellow pads, orange pads, oh my.

Rob
03-08-2009, 08:51 PM
If it were me, I would get the pads and polishes from Griots. It works well, the product is water soluble so the pads clean up with plain water. I have been a griots fan ever since I got my first black car.

But if you want to use other stuff, surf over to autopia and see what the real fanatics have to say. There is a lot of information there.

dan
03-08-2009, 10:10 PM
the griot's polishes sucked 6 or 7 years ago, not sure if anything's changed.

bren
03-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Hmm, found this thread (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=5748).

Still lots of options and opinions though... White pads, yellow pads, orange pads, oh my.
You're going to want an assortment of different pads. Some are better at cutting, some are better for polishing, etc.

BahnBaum
03-08-2009, 10:37 PM
You're going to want an assortment of different pads. Some are better at cutting, some are better for polishing, etc.

Yup, buy a few whites, yellows and oranges.

Really, the advice to go to autopia and browse their forum is the best.

Alex

Rob
03-09-2009, 10:27 PM
the griot's polishes sucked 6 or 7 years ago, not sure if anything's changed.

I disagree. I have had spectacular results with them, brought distressed cars back to show room finish (ok, maybe almost show room finish) and always was able to leave mirror smooth finishes on any car I tackled. I started using their stuff in 2002 or so. I think it can take a little longer b/c they make the polishes mild enough to make it very difficult to hurt the car.

But I would still go to autopia. I am not even a neophyte nut case compared to a lot of the guys on that board.

Theo
05-07-2009, 11:32 AM
I disagree. I have had spectacular results with them, brought distressed cars back to show room finish (ok, maybe almost show room finish) and always was able to leave mirror smooth finishes on any car I tackled. I started using their stuff in 2002 or so. I think it can take a little longer b/c they make the polishes mild enough to make it very difficult to hurt the car.

But I would still go to autopia. I am not even a neophyte nut case compared to a lot of the guys on that board.

I use their clay, detail spray, leather care and fine hand polish for tough area's. I also use their pads(for the porter cable) and wax cloths as well as finger sponges for the rims. I used to use their wax also but have got better results with Blitz.

For swirls I use 3m imperial hand glaze then two coats of Blitz 1 grand wax. For the rest of the interior I use Vinylex.

lupinsea
05-28-2009, 01:06 PM
Just ran across this while at HF the other day picking up an air hose:

7" Variable SPeed Polisher / Sander - $35 (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92623)

It's a Harbor Freight piece of power equipment so in no way would I expect it to last. However, for $35 it is 1/3 the cost of the Porter Cable unit and if it's for home use it probably won't be used all that much, maybe once a month? At that usage rate it'll probably last years. It has no random orbital feature like the Porter Cable unit but it does have a nice 300-3000 rpm speed range.

Just a thought if anyone is interested.

Nick M3
05-28-2009, 01:21 PM
Just ran across this while at HF the other day picking up an air hose:

7" Variable SPeed Polisher / Sander - $35 (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92623)

It's a Harbor Freight piece of power equipment so in no way would I expect it to last. However, for $35 it is 1/3 the cost of the Porter Cable unit and if it's for home use it probably won't be used all that much, maybe once a month? At that usage rate it'll probably last years. It has no random orbital feature like the Porter Cable unit but it does have a nice 300-3000 rpm speed range.

Just a thought if anyone is interested.
According to the fora, it's such crap that it's not even suitable for this use. Additionally, rotaries run a serious risk of burning the paint if you're not careful. Doesn't really seem worth it for a small savings unless you have problems with your paint that are too serious for a DA to get.

I'm trying out the new Meguiar's M105 polish this time around. It's supposed to be magical (and doesn't break down as you use it, so it maintains the cutting ability). We'll see. The E30 needs some serious work and may force me to jump into a rotary.

Edit: You have to finish with something else after M105. I've been very happy with the Menzerna polishes for most use.

hfh330i
05-28-2009, 01:53 PM
This kit comes highly recommended from the E28 community:

http://www.glosshaus.com/start.php

equ
05-28-2009, 01:53 PM
I rejexed my cayman last week. Car has only been polished once. Should I get a PC polisher as well so I can ready it for you?

Rob
05-28-2009, 02:12 PM
The orbital portion of the plan is the reason you can do it yourself on your own car without any training. I would not recommend to anybody that isn't in the car care business to use a direct drive.

rumatt
05-28-2009, 02:27 PM
I rejexed my cayman last week. Car has only been polished once. Should I get a PC polisher as well so I can ready it for you?

Yes!

(still not ready yet though...... patience, grasshopper)

equ
05-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Not selling. Nothing to replace it with unless I spend 2x as much.

Mathew
06-04-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm pretty sure this is a stupid question, but how do you get the pad to attach to the orbital? I've used Griot's red wax pad and holder and applied by hand. I remember the pad and the holder had velcro, but how does it secure onto the orbital? I'm going to order the PC and I don't want any kits as I already have a lot of different colored pads. Does everything I need come with just the orbital itself?

iateyourcheese
06-04-2009, 09:33 PM
My polisher came with one foam pad that had a screw in connector. I had to purchase a separate backing plate to use the velcro backed foam pads.

dan
06-04-2009, 10:59 PM
PN 18001

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images/prod/6/36722.jpeg