PDA

View Full Version : Jk Color Poll V2.0: Red or Green?

FC
02-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Khaki interior on both.

(ignore the beefier tires and raised suspension onthe red one).

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4031&stc=1&d=1234207052

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4032&stc=1&d=1234207052

Plaz
02-09-2009, 02:20 PM
They're both pretty early 90s colors... but I like the green better.

ff
02-09-2009, 02:30 PM
I've never been a fan of maroon, so it was an easy choice for me.

lupinsea
02-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Red/maroon looks great (but it might be the tires and suspension :eeps:)

Seriously, though, I do like the red/maroon over the green. A bit more fun than the green with out the shouty, BRIGHT-FOCKING-YELLOW-effect.

They're both pretty early 90s colors... but I like the green better.
That's ok. Jeeps are something of out-dated, throw-back vehicles to start with. :D

Besides, look at Ferrari. . . . they've been doing red since forever. Just because it may be an "old" color doesn't mean it doesn't look good.

FC
02-09-2009, 02:43 PM
That's ok. Jeeps are something of out-dated, throw-back vehicles to start with. :D

:eeps:

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4033&stc=1&d=1234208722

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4034&stc=1&d=1234208722

equ
02-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Red/maroon looks great (but it might be the tires and suspension :eeps:)

Seriously, though, I do like the red/maroon over the green. A bit more fun than the green with out the shouty, BRIGHT-FOCKING-YELLOW-effect.

+1 on the red (though I may be affected by the wheels/tires as well).

It's a nice red while the green is not a very special one (just better than yellow). Do you need it to be green to remind yourself of its outdoorsy/military origins?

FC
02-09-2009, 04:43 PM
+1 on the red (though I may be affected by the wheels/tires as well).

It's a nice red while the green is not a very special one (just better than yellow). Do you need it to be green to remind yourself of its outdoorsy/military origins?

I think that's what it is. But I do like both. I asked 5 guys at work and it's green 4 to 1.

I am really ambivalent and so is my wife. My fallback is green, but I don't really favor it.

lupinsea
02-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Can I change my vote to Matte Army Field Green?

That also reminds me . . .

My Jeep club is appraoching its 50th aniversary as a club and one of the guys has been going back through the club archives. He found one of the first run reports from 1960 as the club crossed the Naches trail. It was noted in the report that they needed to keep the windshields folded flat and duck down as they passed UNDER all the wind fallen trees. And that as the day wore on the sky darkened, then several hours later it lightened again as a new day dawned. During this time they were wheel'n and driving virtually none stop through the night to get across the trail. And back in that day they were pretty much left-over WWII Jeep with those skiny tires, no locker, no winches or anything. In the end it took them 21 hours of constant wheel'n to cross the mountains and complete the Naches Trail.

Sounds like a freak'n awesome run.

Now-a-days the land management agencey has "improved" the trail somewhat to make it more "accessible" to more of the wheel'n public (i.e. family SUVs). Without stopping it takes about 3 hrs or so to cross and you can do 3/4 of it in 2WD.

Lame.

I still like the trail for its historical nature (former wagon train route from 1853) but wish it were as challenging now as it used to be. I mean, we only had one winch extraction, a single tire was pealed off the rim (and reseated) and a guy almost tipped over but that was only in the first 600 yards. Really . . . where's the excitement?

The first 14 images are of the Naches Trail. (http://homepage.mac.com/jgreening/offroading/PhotoAlbum263.html)

FC
02-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Cool

I did some digging a few days ago and it seems there are places to go in NE, but they shall not be publibly named. While one would think that means they are wheeling illegally, it doesn't appear to be the case, as they (at least publibly seem to) scold people who suggest doing that as being those to balme fo rthe lack of such places.

It seems mostly to be a group of guys who have earned permission to wheel on people's private property, and as such they don't divulge it in public forums.

It also seems though, that they are a pretty intense bunch with at least a lot of time to commit.

Maybe in a couple/few years I'll be up for it. I do see hardcore-looking rigs around from time to time. Sometimes they sport fresh mud too. They must be going somewhere.

lupinsea
02-10-2009, 01:34 AM
That's the gist of what I gleaned from the jeepforum.com NE regional sub-forum.

Seems like the thing to do (if you're interested in actually offroading) is to join a local club or group with access to these private lands.

The other thing to watch for are the Jeep Jamborees. They are official or semi-official organized offroad events. Sort of like autocrossing but with out pavement, cones, or timing gear. The good thing is that they talk to the land owners and get permission to run a couple hundred rigs on the private trails and you're out with a bunch of Jeep enthusiasts. The sucky thing is that they usually cost $100-$200 and you're on the trails with up to 150+ other rigs (they split them into groups and run at different times on different individual trails). And keep this in mind, that the more rigs you have the slower the pace. Even with just one rig you're not going more than 3-5 mph. But you can keep rolling. When you add rigs each photo op, obstacle, winching operation, break down / field repair simply holds up the group and takes that much longer to do. Perhaps not ideal but it'll get you and your Jeep into the mud and rocks and really let you play with 4WD plus you'll have a lot of back up and support of other Jeepers.

I would imagine that you'd also probably be doing a bit of traveling to reach certain areas.

Out west it's a bit different.

WA state alone has at least 12-15 areas for running Jeep and other full-size 4x4's. About 8-10 of those areas are really good wheel'n within a 3 hr drive of downtown Seattle, most within 1-2 hrs. The smallest area has a good 16+ miles of trail (enough to keep you entertained all day) and the largest area covers 115 sq miles of rugged territory.

Then there are the surrounding states + Canada.

And this doesn't mentional all the motorbike and ATV trails, of which there are even more miles and opportunities. Or the thousands of miles of gravel forest service roads (think gravel driveway).

Some time you should come out for a visit during the summer and I can do a multi-day jeep expedition. If it's just you all you're looking at is air-fare if you'd be interested in crashing at my place. FWIW, we're planning a 3 day / 3 night trip for mid/late July this year. :eeps:

FC
02-10-2009, 08:01 AM
That's the gist of what I gleaned from the jeepforum.com NE regional sub-forum.

Seems like the thing to do (if you're interested in actually offroading) is to join a local club or group with access to these private lands.

The other thing to watch for are the Jeep Jamborees. They are official or semi-official organized offroad events. Sort of like autocrossing but with out pavement, cones, or timing gear. The good thing is that they talk to the land owners and get permission to run a couple hundred rigs on the private trails and you're out with a bunch of Jeep enthusiasts. The sucky thing is that they usually cost $100-$200 and you're on the trails with up to 150+ other rigs (they split them into groups and run at different times on different individual trails). And keep this in mind, that the more rigs you have the slower the pace. Even with just one rig you're not going more than 3-5 mph. But you can keep rolling. When you add rigs each photo op, obstacle, winching operation, break down / field repair simply holds up the group and takes that much longer to do. Perhaps not ideal but it'll get you and your Jeep into the mud and rocks and really let you play with 4WD plus you'll have a lot of back up and support of other Jeepers.

I would imagine that you'd also probably be doing a bit of traveling to reach certain areas.

Out west it's a bit different.

WA state alone has at least 12-15 areas for running Jeep and other full-size 4x4's. About 8-10 of those areas are really good wheel'n within a 3 hr drive of downtown Seattle, most within 1-2 hrs. The smallest area has a good 16+ miles of trail (enough to keep you entertained all day) and the largest area covers 115 sq miles of rugged territory.

Then there are the surrounding states + Canada.

And this doesn't mentional all the motorbike and ATV trails, of which there are even more miles and opportunities. Or the thousands of miles of gravel forest service roads (think gravel driveway).

Some time you should come out for a visit during the summer and I can do a multi-day jeep expedition. If it's just you all you're looking at is air-fare if you'd be interested in crashing at my place. FWIW, we're planning a 3 day / 3 night trip for mid/late July this year. :eeps:

I talked to my wife about it before (visiting you) and she says I should do it. This year is just not going to work out with the new baby and all. But hopefully next year. By then I'll have had the JK for bit and may be better able to put to use whatever I learn.

I need to look into the Canada thing too, since I could use Montreal as a staging area while I drop off the family (I'd have to be careful not to break the car lest I leave us all stranded in another country).

FC
02-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Well, turns out green is free and red is $255, so I think I'll just use that as a tie-breaker.

dan
02-10-2009, 10:51 AM
green

lupinsea
02-10-2009, 04:54 PM
mud

Alan
02-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Both look great ... man that is a tough choice but at least either one is a winner !!!

I haven't kept up with the threads but is this instead of the Volvo or 330i ?

Good luck with the new Jeep !!

ZBB
02-10-2009, 10:48 PM
I voted prior to reading the thread. For the record, I voted Red...

And this comes from someone who painted his '65 LandCruiser in British Racing Green (it was originally a tan color)... Oh, and it had a tan MB-Tex interior...

FC
02-10-2009, 10:59 PM
Both look great ... man that is a tough choice but at least either one is a winner !!!

I haven't kept up with the threads but is this instead of the Volvo or 330i ?

Good luck with the new Jeep !!

Mega-cliffnotes:

I have 50K budget.
I wish I could blow it all (or most) in a sportscar but wouldn't use it much.
I'm selling the 330i (whenever the jeep arrives), and buying the jeep plus a 25K (or under) used sportscar. I'm not planning on ever selling the jeep.
The sportscar will be bought no earlier than this comming fall.
Tentatively, in ~3 years, Volvo will be replaced with the most fun, MT wagon I can find.

FC
02-10-2009, 11:00 PM
I voted prior to reading the thread. For the record, I voted Red...

And this comes from someone who painted his '65 LandCruiser in British Racing Green (it was originally a tan color)... Oh, and it had a tan MB-Tex interior...

Love MB-tex ...especially in a car like the Jeep. :cool:

Totally worth the swamp-ass in the summer.:ack::lol:

FC
02-10-2009, 11:04 PM
On the color, since it is a dead heat between all people I've asked, I'm going with:

1. My gut - it's the first color I had picked.
2. The less flashy this is, the less objection frommy wife to a really loud color on another car.
3. Green is free.
4. I don't see me ever buying a green car besides this one, and since this car will be kept indefinitely, I won't have to worry about duplicate colors. Ever.

equ
02-10-2009, 11:16 PM
Selling a 330i zhp for a jeep that "will be kept forever"... :?:rolleyes:

ZBB
02-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Love MB-tex ...especially in a car like the Jeep. :cool:

Totally worth the swamp-ass in the summer.:ack::lol:

You really need to move to AZ. No "swamp-ass" here -- and I used to keep the top off in that thing from Feb to Dec* :D

*When I had to wear socks on my hands in the morning, I knew it was time to put the top back on...

(I only had a hard-top for it... I kept a tarp on the back to cover it up on occasion when it rains here. Every once in a while, I just had to drive in the rain since I couldn't drive with the tarp on. I miss those days)...

Alan
02-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Mega-cliffnotes:

I have 50K budget.
I wish I could blow it all (or most) in a sportscar but wouldn't use it much.
I'm selling the 330i (whenever the jeep arrives), and buying the jeep plus a 25K (or under) used sportscar. I'm not planning on ever selling the jeep.
The sportscar will be bought no earlier than this comming fall.
Tentatively, in ~3 years, Volvo will be replaced with the most fun, MT wagon I can find.

Very cool plan ... your going to love having 3 cars ... it really helps appreciate what you have when jumping from one to the other :thumbup:

lupinsea
02-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Cool, FC.

Very cool plan ... your going to love having 3 cars ... it really helps appreciate what you have when jumping from one to the other :thumbup:

That's one of the reasons I like having wildly different cars if we are going to have multiple cars. Why have two sedans, or two suvs or whatever. Sure there are bound to be some differences but the driving experience would other wise be pretty similar. However, riding around in the Jeep on the roads in summer is really fun after weeks of commuting around in the ZHP. Likewise, after a few days of top-down driving in the rumbly ol' Jeep the ZHP is such a striking difference.

The only problem is I'll get confused over some of the controls when switching between all the vehicles. "Where's the headlight switch" or "dang, windshield wipers go the other way in this car" is not uncommon for me.

One of the guys I used to wheel with bolted a road sign to the top of his FJ40 roll cage as his "hard top". Never bothered to have any doors or complete roof covering. Rain, sun, snow, whatever would just pile up in the exposed interior. Of course, the interior was just bare metal except for the seats and roll padding. If it was cold or rainy out he'd just dress warmer and wear a poncho or some kind of rain gear. He had a chevy V8 (probably big-block) under the hood with an auto tranny. Looked like crap but it was a solid rig.

http://homepage.mac.com/jgreening/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2005-07-20%2001.34.36%20-0700/Image-5812C3E0F8F611D9.jpg

FC
02-11-2009, 08:42 PM
That's ridiculous! :lol:

lupinsea
02-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Is it? :dunno:

FC
02-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Is it? :dunno:

Yes, that's a bit much. I mean, it's cool and all, but nuts.

lupinsea
02-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Wait. . . which part was ridiculous? The road sign for a roof? Or the chevy big block V8? Or the no doors and stuff? Or . . . .:)

lupinsea
02-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Oh, and I found you some proper Jeep Green pictures. Enjoy. :)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa259/scrogg13/DSC04022.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa259/scrogg13/DSC04034.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa259/scrogg13/DSC04062.jpg

FC
02-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Nice!!!

FC
02-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Well, shit. You guys won't believe this, but after several years of availability, they discontinued Jeep Green... 2 blipping days ago!!!

But it turns out that sunburst orange IS offered with Khaki interior, so that is open now.

We may go for that.

http://my.project-jk.com/data/500/medium/1009081742_b.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn24/adamisadam/Jeep%20Rubicon/2008_1129_111930AA.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3291/2831485882_5534d32180_b.jpg

http://my.project-jk.com/data/500/medium/dylan_jk3.jpg