PDA

View Full Version : A note about clearing fault codes, ECU adaptation reset, etc

Mr Paddle.Shift
06-08-2004, 03:04 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~alpina.nut/gt1_2.jpg

I had a chance to get up close and personal with a GT One Tester. For those who never heard of it, this is the machine that every BMW dealer in the world uses to diagnose anything and everything in your BMW.

Price? $18000.00.

The GT1 tester is a very sturdy machine with a touch-screen feature. It can monitor the rich/lean condition of each piston. It can, my fellow friends, know when you last hit the red line and the frequency of that incident. It can monitor things that you never thought of.

So I thought I give some pointers about fault code clearing and ECU adaptation reset.

1. So you saw a CEL and decided to reset the light using a OBDII tool like Peake or Innova. The light on your cluster may be gone. But the fault code is still *on* in your ECU registry. The only way to completely clear out EVERY single code is to use a GT1.

2. Remember that disconnect-battery-for-10min-in-order-to-reset-the-ECU trick? That don't work on E46s anymore. The only way to reset the ECU adaptation is to use a GT1. The machine will clear the adaptations and upload the original ECU program meant for your E46. I went through that last week and felt the difference. Amazing.

3. So you installed your xenons or unplugged and replug a connector or got into an accident and replaced the doors? Yes, GT1 knows. It will register a fault code for every little things done to the car. Having a step with ASA, I had the clutch fan removed and the electric fan installed. Although the electric fan works fine, it sends off a code to the ECU claiming that an electric fan is present. Cleared that code and never came back again. This code never did appear in my cheapo OBDII reader.

4. Ahh..what about shark injector/dinan ECU programs? GT1 can detect that as well. Period.

5. DSC/ABD sensor calibration? No problem. GT1 can do that too.

6. Not sure if your radio button on your steering wheel is working? GT1 can diagnose that in just a few seconds before you decide to replace the button.

7. etc etc...

Too many features to list down. All I can say now is that this is the single most amazing YET compact machine I have seen for a long time. :shock:

FC
06-08-2004, 07:51 AM
That is trully amazing.

bren
06-08-2004, 09:25 AM
Frightening is more like it....

Masskrug
06-08-2004, 12:49 PM
:shock:

clyde
06-08-2004, 01:28 PM
Just read on the rx8 board about someone being asked if he tracked his car heavily.

"Why?"

"The left front wheel has turned 13% more revolutions than the right."

JST
06-08-2004, 01:41 PM
Just read on the rx8 board about someone being asked if he tracked his car heavily.

"Why?"

Reverse NASCAR racing?

clyde
06-08-2004, 02:24 PM

"Why?"

Reverse NASCAR racing?
Hey, man...I found it on the interent. What do you want? :dunno:

lemming
06-08-2004, 02:34 PM

"Why?"

B R I L L I A N T.

elbert
06-08-2004, 03:12 PM
Reverse NASCAR racing?

Almost all permanent road courses are run clockwise (rovals like Daytona don't count). The only exception I can think of right now is Laguna Seca.

Courses like Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen, Mid Ohio, Road America, VIR, PIR, Sears Point--all clockwise.

But that's a nifty computer. Scary what the ECU can "remember".

dan
06-08-2004, 03:22 PM
4. Ahh..what about shark injector/dinan ECU programs? GT1 can detect that as well. Period.

Mr Paddle.Shift
06-08-2004, 11:41 PM

Actually, I had to take my words back on that. The GT1 has yet to be able to detect aftermarket programs. But something is being worked on to update the GT1 to recognize that.