Damn, that is nice.
what's so nice about a bunch of underlined blue letters? :dunno:

operknockity
02-03-2009, 05:43 PM
what's so nice about a bunch of underlined blue letters? :dunno:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

dan
02-03-2009, 05:44 PM
nice, didn't know your wife was interested in getting a new car.

ZBB
02-03-2009, 05:47 PM
That does it.

As soon as I don't need a car seat in the back, I'm getting a used Boxster...

How old do most kids move out of booster seat range?

lupinsea
02-03-2009, 06:28 PM
Booster seat? 10-11 yr old I think if you go by weight / height.

If you're talking child car seat that's something else. Maybe by age 3-4? :dunno:

TD
02-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Huh?

Kids grow out of booster seats around 7-8. The laws in various states require them usually until 6 and sometimes 7 or 8. But after 8, you really are done.

My son is 5 and a half. And my daughter is almost 9.

ZBB
02-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Huh?

Kids grow out of booster seats around 7-8. The laws in various states require them usually until 6 and sometimes 7 or 8. But after 8, you really are done.

My son is 5 and a half. And my daughter is almost 9.

Well, my daughter just turned 2. Assuming we don't have another one (gets less and less likely every day...), I've got another 4-6 years. That means I'll need something with a back seat when I replace the CTS in ~3 years.

Maybe I'll just have to step up to a 911 first...

wdc330i
02-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Well, my daughter just turned 2. Assuming we don't have another one (gets less and less likely every day...), I've got another 4-6 years. That means I'll need something with a back seat when I replace the CTS in ~3 years.

Maybe I'll just have to step up to a 911 first...

Oy. My thoughts exactly--except changing out from a CTS. Oh, and I have a son not a daughter...

lemming
02-03-2009, 08:50 PM
if you have waited this long, i would actually just wait for the new DI engine'd 987s to age a little bit.

they've migrated to a fully closed deck engine with better structural rigidity --this bodes much better in the used car market.

now that they'll also offer LSD units on them, i'll never think about owning a 911 again. i'm going to get a 987 or 988 in the future.

JST
02-03-2009, 08:52 PM
if you have waited this long, i would actually just wait for the new DI engine'd 987s to age a little bit.

they've migrated to a fully closed deck engine with better structural rigidity --this bodes much better in the used car market.

now that they'll also offer LSD units on them, i'll never think about owning a 911 again. i'm going to get a 987 or 988 in the future.

What's the final verdict on the LSD? Can you get with without the flappy paddle gearbox or not?

lemming
02-03-2009, 09:09 PM
What's the final verdict on the LSD? Can you get with without the flappy paddle gearbox or not?

no idea.

i just think that Porsche is finally relenting and they will allow the 987 to be the performance piece and still give the 911 legs.

in my optimistic point of view, they will allow the LSD to be a real option on the entire car line.

FC
02-03-2009, 09:10 PM

Nothing concrete yet (AFAIK) but I thought there was hope that LSD+MT would be allowed for '10 cars.

I think I'm going to wait for '09's myself too (I've mentioned this a few times already).

I've come to terms with what my life will be like for at least another 5 years, and any sort of sportscar would get very limited use until then.

lemming
02-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Nothing concrete yet (AFAIK) but I thought there was hope that LSD+MT would be allowed for '10 cars.

I think I'm going to wait for '09's myself too (I've mentioned this a few times already).

I've come to terms with what my life will be like for at least another 5 years, and any sort of sportscar would get very limited use until then.

have to give porsche a ton of credit for doing a lot of evolutionary work on the engines.

the new DI designs appear to be really well done and incorporate the lessons from the first gen water cooled engines.

somewhere i read that the new 987 DI engines have fewer bracing pieces which are stronger to address the RMS issue directly. this plus continually working on the oil circ, lighter weight and stronger casing really impress me.

ZBB
02-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Oy. My thoughts exactly--except changing out from a CTS. Oh, and I have a son not a daughter...

:D

I picked up my daughter today from day care. When we turn off the main street, there's a 1/4 mile or so stretch of road before we get to the neighborhood gate, and I like to have fun with the car. As I accelerate out of the turn, I hear a giggle from the back seat, and then she says "Daddy's silly".

I think she'll like driving in another 14 years or so :cool:

FC
02-03-2009, 11:04 PM
:D

I picked up my daughter today from day care. When we turn off the main street, there's a 1/4 mile or so stretch of road before we get to the neighborhood gate, and I like to have fun with the car. As I accelerate out of the turn, I hear a giggle from the back seat, and then she says "Daddy's silly".

I think she'll like driving in another 14 years or so :cool:

My son's first word: "Cahhhh."

'Nuff said.

Rob
02-03-2009, 11:05 PM
When I hear the giggle, it's usually followed by "go really fast daddy!" :thumbup:

Plaz
02-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Don't worry, the fun ends when they learn to read the speedometer. Especially if it's a really big pie plate sized one in the middle of the compartment, easily visible from the back seat. :eeps:

SCA
02-03-2009, 11:27 PM
I used to hear, "Go faster daddy, faster!" Now he just watches the speedo from the back seat.

dan
02-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Turn fast! Turn fast!

ff
02-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Especially if it's a really big pie plate sized one in the middle of the compartment, easily visible from the back seat. :eeps:

I knew that there had to be a reason for size and placement of that speedo.
:lol:

equ
02-04-2009, 10:50 AM
The 06+ M97 engines have been very reliable. The DFI is interesting for slightly better power and much better fuel economy but in the 997 sounds too quiet/refined for my taste. Likely the PSE exhaust will cure it, but then, another expensive option...

Anyways, I shopped a bit for 06-08 Carrera S's and I think that car's engine is spot on with sound/power/torque. The 09, from my brief drive, felt a bit soulless. The tail lights are uglier too. Given that body/chassis changes were minor, the most important part of the 09 update, to me, is the improved electronics. With the touch screen and the audio connections, porsche is finally joining the 21st century.

On the LSD, I thought the new cayman, whatever MY it will be, probably 09, is actually available with LSD + manual, with just a few months delay.

Long story short, I wouldn't let the DFI's stop me from getting a nice deal on an 06+ porsche. I thought about 997's but at this point, with no dogs or kids, the advantages over my croc are minor so I'm keeping mine. :)

equ
02-04-2009, 11:02 AM
And then there are the high pressure fuel pumps that come with DFI. I guess audi didn't have the problems bmw did with this, but then I'm just suspicious of new stuff like this.

Sharp11
02-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Don't worry, the fun ends when they learn to read the speedometer. Especially if it's a really big pie plate sized one in the middle of the compartment, easily visible from the back seat. :eeps:

One of the brilliant design features of my Z4 and something lauded by many guys on the Zed message boards was the deep binnacles that housed the speedo and tach.

It was simply impossible to see any of it from the passenger's seat :)

Naturally, it was one of the first things mrs Lydian commented on :lol:

Rob
02-04-2009, 02:03 PM
And then there are the high pressure fuel pumps that come with DFI. I guess audi didn't have the problems bmw did with this, but then I'm just suspicious of new stuff like this.

High pressure pumps are not new. They are just new in this application. BMW screwing up the design of some more or less simple component and blaming suppliers for not manufacturing to spec is also not new. Unfortunately. My fuel pump is fine so far . . . but I think something is going wrong somewhere based on idle control. Eventually I will know what it is.

lemming
02-06-2009, 12:26 PM
The 06+ M97 engines have been very reliable. The DFI is interesting for slightly better power and much better fuel economy but in the 997 sounds too quiet/refined for my taste. Likely the PSE exhaust will cure it, but then, another expensive option...

Anyways, I shopped a bit for 06-08 Carrera S's and I think that car's engine is spot on with sound/power/torque. The 09, from my brief drive, felt a bit soulless. The tail lights are uglier too. Given that body/chassis changes were minor, the most important part of the 09 update, to me, is the improved electronics. With the touch screen and the audio connections, porsche is finally joining the 21st century.

On the LSD, I thought the new cayman, whatever MY it will be, probably 09, is actually available with LSD + manual, with just a few months delay.

Long story short, I wouldn't let the DFI's stop me from getting a nice deal on an 06+ porsche. I thought about 997's but at this point, with no dogs or kids, the advantages over my croc are minor so I'm keeping mine. :)

there's no question that Porsche really improved the engine the entire life of the M96 powerplant --just compare the post-2002 engines to the pre2002 engines.

but the M97 is really awesome, from a technical point of view.

when one ponders:
lighter weight
greater stiffness -> closed deck
2piece crankcases instead of 4 plus separate bearing cases
twin-chamber exhausts
bigger oil pumps

that's really nice. the LSD piece is what would tip everything in favor for me to wait for the 987 with the new engines to age a little bit and to then seriously look into them.

there's nothing wrong with the 1st gen cayman/boxster cars and their version 1.5s, but this the corporate philosophy has finally evolved to where it's dynamically on par with the 911 if not clearly superior (M64 block 911s excepted).

FC
02-06-2009, 01:56 PM
there's no question that Porsche really improved the engine the entire life of the M96 powerplant --just compare the post-2002 engines to the pre2002 engines.

but the M97 is really awesome, from a technical point of view.

when one ponders:
lighter weight
greater stiffness -> closed deck
2piece crankcases instead of 4 plus separate bearing cases
twin-chamber exhausts
bigger oil pumps

that's really nice. the LSD piece is what would tip everything in favor for me to wait for the 987 with the new engines to age a little bit and to then seriously look into them.

there's nothing wrong with the 1st gen cayman/boxster cars and their version 1.5s, but this the corporate philosophy has finally evolved to where it's dynamically on par with the 911 if not clearly superior (M64 block 911s excepted).

I'm thinking of maybe next year getting an old Elise as a toy for a couple of years until the 987S.2 drops a bit in price.

lemming
02-08-2009, 04:31 PM
apologies.

the new engines, technically the third watercooled design, are called the 9A1 family of engines.

calling it the M98 powerplant is incorrect.

Mr. The Edge
02-08-2009, 05:19 PM
no

Plaz
02-08-2009, 06:33 PM
no

:lol:

uh-oh.