PDA

View Full Version : 328iT v 328xiT v X3

Optimus Prime
12-17-2008, 10:40 AM
As I mentioned in the thread about or e90 dying on the road, the dealership made us an offer for it (get out early) to get us into something else. The only things I'd want are e91 or e83. Finding a 6MT is likely not going to be easy. The wife and I discussed it, and we may be ok with a slushie if we ended up getting something with x drive. Figure the car is already doing so much of the thinking and driving for you...

Anyways. I'd rather a 328iT, but I think I'd be ok with the other options. the payments will be less than what we're on the hook for now, and if we got a wagon we already have summer and winter wheel sets for it so that's nice.

Who here has opinions about the vehicles in question? ;)

ff
12-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Of those choices, I'd probably opt for the X3. I've never been impressed with the interior volume of the 3Touring. The X3 *seems* to have more.

And if you want AWD for going through the snow, might as well get something with some ground clearance.

FC
12-17-2008, 11:10 AM
You know how I feel about this. If it's my primary car, or even a car I would use a lot, I wouldn't want an SUV. If this is supposed to be your better winter vehicle (I don't recall your other car if any), I would go with the xiT. If this is your primary car and you have access to a 2nd, good winter car, go with an iT.

I would read up on equ's take on xi vs. i 3er's.

You can figure out the tranny issue on your own once you drive them (if you can find a MT).

Nick M3
12-17-2008, 11:16 AM
The slushie e90s are horrible.

zach
12-17-2008, 11:21 AM
The slushie e90s are horrible.

And he won't find a manual one on a lot unless it was a mistake...

Sharp11
12-17-2008, 11:29 AM
As I mentioned in the thread about or e90 dying on the road, the dealership made us an offer for it (get out early) to get us into something else. The only things I'd want are e91 or e83. Finding a 6MT is likely not going to be easy. The wife and I discussed it, and we may be ok with a slushie if we ended up getting something with x drive. Figure the car is already doing so much of the thinking and driving for you...

Anyways. I'd rather a 328iT, but I think I'd be ok with the other options. the payments will be less than what we're on the hook for now, and if we got a wagon we already have summer and winter wheel sets for it so that's nice.

Who here has opinions about the vehicles in question? ;)

I'd take a good hard look at the new Audi A4 Avant before I'd settle on a touring BMW.

Also, the Infiniti EX35 is awfully nice, has a great engine and automatic transmission and will have about as much useful cargo space as a 3 series wagon - it comes as an AWD or RWD model.

I'll get laughed at here, but the Toyota Venza is getting good reviews AND it's economical.

Still, the Audi looks nice.

Ed

Optimus Prime
12-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Of those choices, I'd probably opt for the X3. I've never been impressed with the interior volume of the 3Touring. The X3 *seems* to have more.

And if you want AWD for going through the snow, might as well get something with some ground clearance.
ya, I'm kind of leaning this way. Plus it leaves us a littler more flexible in the future.
You know how I feel about this. If it's my primary car, or even a car I would use a lot, I wouldn't want an SUV. If this is supposed to be your better winter vehicle (I don't recall your other car if any), I would go with the xiT. If this is your primary car and you have access to a 2nd, good winter car, go with an iT.

I would read up on equ's take on xi vs. i 3er's.

You can figure out the tranny issue on your own once you drive them (if you can find a MT).
I've got a 2WD long, low pickup truck. It's not great in the snow, but it holds its own. This is generally going to be our main car.
The slushie e90s are horrible.is it a different slushie than in the X3? I'm generally not a fan of automatics, but I've softened in my old age.

JST
12-17-2008, 11:35 AM
ya, I'm kind of leaning this way. Plus it leaves us a littler more flexible in the future.

I've got a 2WD long, low pickup truck. It's not great in the snow, but it holds its own. This is generally going to be our main car.
is it a different slushie than in the X3? I'm generally not a fan of automatics, but I've softened in my old age.

Don't know whether it is the same transmission, though I'd wager it is. In any event, I agree with Nick--while I someday might buy a car with an automatic (though I'm not sure when that would be), it won't be a slushie E90. The 328ia I drove was frigging awful. I wanted to kick it when I finally got done driving it.

Optimus Prime
12-17-2008, 11:38 AM
I'd take a good hard look at the new Audi A4 Avant before I'd settle on a touring BMW.

Also, the Infiniti EX35 is awfully nice, has a great engine and automatic transmission and will have about as much useful cargo space as a 3 series wagon - it comes as an AWD or RWD model.

I'll get laughed at here, but the Toyota Venza is getting good reviews AND it's economical.

Still, the Audi looks nice.

Ed
That's all true, but one of the issues I'm looking at is that BMW will give us a deal on our lease since we're under miles and such. Plus, it turns out the SA I'm working with is the dealer's son and he apparantly loves our car
I've been waiting for you guys to turn this car in, I remember when it came in. It was the only 330i we've ordered with a stick. Awesome.
If we go the E91 route, I've also already got a nice wheel setup for it. Etc. There's no additoinal incentive for anything none BMW at this point so we'd wait a while until turn in.

equ
12-17-2008, 11:47 AM
328i is an excellent car with MT. Not so great with AT... It's of course best in RWD + ZSP form. But you guys didn't have sports pack in the first place. If your area doesn't have craters for roads and you're not looking for turning giggles, you may consider the xi. It's downsides are its compromised front suspension. It has short travel, so on bad roads bottoms out. Also it's soft, so combined with the awd, the car had delayed turn-in, so it requires a slower in, earlier on the throttle driving style.

The upsides are being close-to-awesome in snow/wet (especially compared e46 xi's) and still feels like a bmw when you're going straight or on the highway. I also did not notice a mileage penalty going between the 330i and the 330xi, the 162 anchors probably make up for the awd system. Quattro sports package can "feel" a bit better in turns, but then on the highway and in straights, the car is not a bmw. Also only the 2008 a5 and 2009+ a4 achieved the static weight balance (55/45) of the xi. Until then they were all 60/40ish...

So, to sum up, if roads are ok, and winter is a concern, I would get a 6MT xi. I'd get it with prem/cold/sport (for the seats). I'd throw out the turanzas pretty quick. I would get it over an x3 any day/night and weekend. I don't like the look of the bmw wagons so much but then audi doesn't offer any MT on the avants anymore. Of course, if you're not in deep snow i + snow tires does very well (in which case, do get the zsp).

I'm confused about something. Is the 328iT even an option? Aren't they all x? I guess this can be checked easily enough.

Sharp11
12-17-2008, 11:48 AM
I've driven E90's with automatics and can't recall anything wrong with them.

I'd suggest OP drive a couple of different ones.

Ed

ff
12-17-2008, 11:50 AM

There's something very satisfying about a just-right-sized 'ute. It's not fun to drive on-road like a sporty car, but having the extra space and utility is great. I love our new 4Runner. I mean really, really love it. There's enough space for the 3 kids, and a big [enough] rear area to haul stuff. The floor is also up high where it's easy load/unload without having to bend over. It's good off-road, it'll tow 7000 lbs, and it's very comfortable + smooth. Unlike when we had the Civic, there's now ample space to put stuff when traveling. No more having to pack the trunk as compact as possible just to fit everything (Tetris anyone?).

So anyhow, I'm not trying to talk you into a 4Runner. Just making my point that the just-right-sized 'utes are nice to own.

Sharp11
12-17-2008, 12:06 PM
I've driven a couple of different X3's - now that's a vehicle with a known auto-tranny issue. I believe it's the 07 models that were affected - there's even a thread on b'fest dedicated to the problem.

Be certain to do your due diligence on that one.

Otherwise, X3's are nice, really nice to drive and miraculously, feel pretty much like every BMW I've ever driven.

Ed

dan
12-17-2008, 12:07 PM

When I looked at the X3 is seemed to have much less space. I'm sure SARAFIL could tell us for sure though. In fact, I think he has told us...I'll have to look for it.

Rob
12-17-2008, 12:46 PM
I don't konw about your particular situation op, but usually when a dealer claims to have a significant need to buy your car back, what that really means is they have a significant need to sell you a new car. I doubt very much you are looking at any particularly special deal - the dealers are doing anything they can to move inventory.

Having said that, there is nothing wrong flipping cars "just because" if that's what you want to do.

I would pick the touring, personally. Small size notwithstanding, they do a good job of being decently fun to drive.

As for the rest, from my perspective, the 4runner is a truck. It's a really nice truck that masks its truck like tendencies and the new one is much more car like than the old one, but after a few miles, it still feels like a truck. At least my neighbor's does. Again, if that's what you want, more power to you. It will handle those massive snow storms easily enough.

bren
12-17-2008, 12:55 PM
I like the x3. It pretty much drives just like "a BMW", except it feels like you are sitting up on a milk crate.

ZBB
12-17-2008, 01:18 PM

My wife has an X3... it does have more room than a Touring... Mostly in vertical height, but the rear is also longer.

X3 is ugly, but it drives nice and has decent room.

Optimus Prime
12-17-2008, 05:41 PM
The dealer found a 328xit 6MT with the exact options we'd want and the same color combo we have now.

It could all be ours for $790 month x 60 with $3k down(buy) or $690 month with a 36/36 with $2000 down (lease)

:lol::lol::lol:

nevermind.

JST
12-17-2008, 06:39 PM
The dealer found a 328xit 6MT with the exact options we'd want and the same color combo we have now.

It could all be ours for $790 month x 60 with $3k down(buy) or $690 month with a 36/36 with $200o down (lease)

nevermind.

Yeah, that's not a great deal.

IndyMike
12-17-2008, 06:46 PM
If you're gonna pay that kind of dough you might as well get an M3. :)

Edit: I just realized this was my 1,000th post here. In honor of this unamazing accomplishment I would like to add this benediction that I remember from Charlie Daniels (or was that Jack Daniels?) :

Hungover. Red Eyed. Dog Tired Satisfied. It's a long road and a little wheel, and it takes a lot of turns to get there. Thank you damn it!

:)

Rob
12-18-2008, 01:40 AM
yeah, the dealer doesn't have a real need for your car. He has a real need to sell you a new car . . .

Optimus Prime
12-21-2008, 12:31 PM

It could all be ours for $790 month x 60 with $3k down(buy) or $690 month with a 36/36 with $2000 down (lease)

nevermind.

So I politely said thanks, but no thanks, since I'm not really actively looking for a car I didn't counter offer or anything. I did tell them that I wasn't sure I wanted to lease again. They called back and magically knocked over $120 off the monthly payment to buy.

It's kind of a shame we can't find an e91 around here to look at. We've had an X3 loaner and the wife is really digging it. The information I can find on the interwebs seems to indicate that the X3 has a larger cargo area. If we do go with an X3, I'm hoping that its utility will be enough that in a year or two I can unload the giant pickup truck I have and maybe get a nice Works Mini to replace it. :D

wdc330i
12-21-2008, 08:29 PM
I've had the X3 as a loaner, too. And after 9 years with two e46s, it feels very comfortable. Not too tall (the X5 I now own is considerably higher). About the same dimensions as a 3 series, but with more utility. The only complaint I had was the herky-jerky transmission. Maybe the 2009s have solved that? Apparently the automatic transmission is French made for the X3. So, not as smooth as the GMs in the 328s, and not as responsive as the ZFs in the 335s or X5s.

ff
12-21-2008, 08:43 PM
They called back and magically knocked over $120 off the monthly payment to buy.

Grr, I don't like it when they try to deal based solely on monthly payment. Too many variables involved to really know what you're paying. Plus you're almost guaranteed to get screwed.

Optimus Prime
12-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Grr, I don't like it when they try to deal based solely on monthly payment. Too many variables involved to really know what you're paying. Plus you're almost guaranteed to get screwed.
I agree. I wouldn't do anything without do getting all the details. They did give me the buy cost and rate, but the monthly payment is an easy measuring stick. My back of the envelope calcs indicated they were about $100 high before. Now they're in the ballpark where it wouldn't be a waste of time to get into the details.

Optimus Prime
12-22-2008, 02:24 PM
i'll be going into the dealership after work to see if I can get the details worked out for the X3.

Optimus Prime
12-23-2008, 12:19 PM
The X3 it is.

Silver Gray Metallic (kind of :ack:)
ZCW, ZPP, Step, heated steering wheel, Xenon with adaptive, privacy glass at about $1,000 under invoice with .9%

This is the same load out as the loaner we've had for the past week, which is really what sold us. The more we had it for everyday use, the more we realized how significantly versatile it was. Additionally, we were able to use the fact that we were under miles on the lease to take care of the rock chip in the windshield and that we needed two tires with no out of pocket cost. You can only do that if you’re getting another car through BMWFS. So, all in all I think we got as much as we could out of our current situation.

Now, we’ll use the X3 as the do everything mobile and I’ll sell my truck. At which point I may pick up a beater to save $ or I’ll pick up a sweet JCW-Mini as my ride... or mayble I'll just stick with riding bicycles/motorcycles and not get a second car.

Sharp11
12-23-2008, 12:34 PM
The X3 it is.

Silver Gray Metallic (kind of :ack:)
ZCW, ZPP, Step, heated steering wheel, Xenon with adaptive, privacy glass at about $1,000 under invoice with .9%

This is the same load out as the loaner we've had for the past week, which is really what sold us. The more we had it for everyday use, the more we realized how significantly versatile it was. Additionally, we were able to use the fact that we were under miles on the lease to take care of the rock chip in the windshield and that we needed two tires with no out of pocket cost. You can only do that if you’re getting another car through BMWFS. So, all in all I think we got as much as we could out of our current situation.

Now, we’ll use the X3 as the do everything mobile and I’ll sell my truck. At which point I may pick up a beater to save $ or I’ll pick up a sweet JCW-Mini as my ride... or mayble I'll just stick with riding bicycles/motorcycles and not get a second car.

That heated steering wheel is going to be nice.... :)

Congrats, X3's are a nice drive - we probably would've gotten one if it weren't for the fact my wife felt the tailgate a bit too heavy to open and close.

Ed

lemming
12-23-2008, 02:54 PM
That heated steering wheel is going to be nice.... :)

Congrats, X3's are a nice drive - we probably would've gotten one if it weren't for the fact my wife felt the tailgate a bit too heavy to open and close.

Ed

kudos to BMW to continually improving the X3.

Optimus Prime
12-23-2008, 03:44 PM
well, the one we were going to get was sold off the lot before we got it... they found a crimson red one, but the wife doesn't usually like red cars.

:ack:

Sharp11
12-23-2008, 03:52 PM
kudos to BMW to continually improving the X3.

Quite a few changes from the 07's onward - better interiors, better ride.

Steptronic programming had come under scrutiny, though. I understand there's a fix however.

Ed

equ
12-23-2008, 07:35 PM
Congrats! Put up some pics.

IndyMike
12-23-2008, 08:24 PM
Props. No SP (although I think it negates the heated steering wheel, right? If so that would be a tough call, unless I lived in a warm weather state).

Amen to pics when you get a chance.

wdc330i
12-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Congrats, indeed! (The X3 is actually much more user friendly with dogs than the X5--the tailgate is much lower and easier for them to get into.)

Optimus Prime
12-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Well it seemed that every X3 was getting sold off the dealer lot as our dealer was calling to set up a dealer trade. Today was a lot of phone calls back and forth trying to get things worked out. Finally we ended agreeing to buy the loaner X3 we've had for the past week, as it is optioned out exactly how we wanted it. It's been in service for 6 months and has about 7000 miles on it. For this, they knocked about $6000 off our previously good deal and added the 6yr/100,000 maintenance program.

Overall, we ended up with the car we want, although slightly used, and we're paying less than we were for our e90 lease. I'll get pics up when I can. Maybe tomorrow.

Sharp11
12-23-2008, 11:10 PM
Well it seemed that every X3 was getting sold off the dealer lot as our dealer was calling to set up a dealer trade. Today was a lot of phone calls back and forth trying to get things worked out. Finally we ended agreeing to buy the loaner X3 we've had for the past week, as it is optioned out exactly how we wanted it. It's been in service for 6 months and has about 7000 miles on it. For this, they knocked about $6000 off our previously good deal and added the 6yr/100,000 maintenance program.

Overall, we ended up with the car we want, although slightly used, and we're paying less than we were for our e90 lease. I'll get pics up when I can. Maybe tomorrow.

That's the right way to do it, less depreciation and a better warranty - what could be better :thumbup:

wdc330i
12-24-2008, 04:41 PM
That's the right way to do it, less depreciation and a better warranty - what could be better :thumbup:

That warranty is gold. Congrats!