PDA

View Full Version : Out-hacked the Hack Mechanic? I doubt it but (Thurst Bushings)

jsn
12-08-2008, 10:13 AM
I had my 2000 528iT in the shop to check the thrust bushings becuz when I came to stop the car rocked fwd and backwd a smidge. Also on the road I would get weird temporary vibrations and shakes after hitting road imperfections. This was on 2 different sets of tires and with new Koni SA struts. These also appeared to be the original 99k bushings.

The shop said the bushings were fine. So, when I had the car down for cooling system work, I smeared some gasket silicone into the thurst bushings over a week's time becuz what the hey I have new bushings on hand anyway and wanted to see if that changed anything.

Sure enough. When I put the car back on the road, the fwd/backwd rocking had stopped and ditto the weird vibes, shakes from the front end. No idea how long this 'fix' will last but I did take the step of compressing the front suspension while the silicone dried.

Anyway I have decided the E39 is too tank-like for my tastes and am selling it to get (I hope) a E46 330i. MY Volvo 940t wagon does wagon-duties just fine.