PDA

View Full Version : Fuel additives

equ
11-26-2008, 04:56 PM
The croc (06 987S 3.4) is at 15.4k miles now and I seem to have solved one minor problem.

Since this spring, it started giving the lightest of pings... Off throttle, back on moderately at lowish rpm (say 2500) and it would _rarely_ click once. Then the sound would go away (as presumably timing adapted). This didn't happen during break in or in the first 11,000 miles. It never happened at high rpm. I tried all sorts of gas stations, talked to my old school oil change guy, took it to dealer and for one thing, no one could reproduce it. In the end, dealer said I'm driving too easy :rolleyes: and told me to "drive it like I stole it". That's NJ for you, bad gas and shady, dumb dealers. I used bottles and bottles of techron, nothing changed. Many different BP, Shell, Sunoco 93's tried, nothing...

Long story short, I tried the Shell V-power fuel cleaner, (2 for $14 at Autozone with a $15 rebate so really -1$ :D). Lo and behold, click is gone, engine is back to its smoother power on self. Note again, this was extremely minor, perhaps a little gunk somewhere or some carbon, but it is gone! :)

I used a second bottle with the next tank, and now I'm on a tank without it and it hasn't returned. Now, I've used techron on this and other cars, I've used lubro-moly jectron on the 528i etc, and never noticed anything. This is the first time I've seen effects from 'snake oil', and it's free to boot.