PDA

View Full Version : 328 vs 325

zach
11-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Has anyone here driven both an e90 325 (pre 2007) and a 328 (2007+)? If so, how different do they feel? Does the 328 with the 3.0 feel much better (faster) than the 325? Does the 328 feel almost as fast as the old 330? I'm specifically interested in xi wagons, but will take what I can get as far as engine reviews.

Thanks in advance.

Rob
11-17-2008, 01:14 PM
I never drove a 325. I do not think the 328 is near the 330 in terms of power from a "feel" perspective, but for all I know the acceleration numbers are identical. I think the 328 is heavily detuned from the 330 though - at least that's what I remember thinking when I drove them both, nearly a year ago.

zach
11-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Thanks to you both. I had a feeling and I'll still drive both, but it's good to hear other perspectives. Assuming we get a wagon, it'll most likely become our primary vehicle. If a 328xit felt as fast as an e46 zhp, that's probably good enough. Sadly, I doubt that is the case.

fwiw, there are a grand total of 6 CPO manual 3 series wagons in the US. I believe one of those has sport package.

JST
11-17-2008, 01:25 PM
Thanks to you both. I had a feeling and I'll still drive both, but it's good to hear other perspectives. Assuming we get a wagon, it'll most likely become our primary vehicle. If a 328xit felt as fast as an e46 zhp, that's probably good enough. Sadly, I doubt that is the case.

fwiw, there are a grand total of 6 CPO manual 3 series wagons in the US. I believe one of those has sport package.

FWIW, I don't think that even the E90 330 feels as fast as the E46 ZHP.

zach
11-17-2008, 01:27 PM
FWIW, I don't think that even the E90 330 feels as fast as the E46 ZHP.

I'm sure adding AWD, a panoramic sunroof and any extra weight associated with being a wagon will really help that too. :ack:

JST
11-17-2008, 01:28 PM
I'm sure adding AWD, a panoramic sunroof and any extra weight associated with being a wagon will really help that too. :ack:

No, but you know what would help? Adding two turbos. Or two cylinders.

Who needs a wagon, anyway? It just makes it easier for people to see and steal your stuff.

zach
11-17-2008, 01:34 PM
No, but you know what would help? Adding two turbos. Or two cylinders.

No shit.

BMWNA: The day of the SUV is ending. Please provide a proper engine (read: over 300hp) in a small wagon.

Who needs a wagon, anyway? It just makes it easier for people to see and steal your stuff.

Having two sedans seems dumb. As long as a wagon is available, I'd rather have the extra square footage. I can then justify how sensible it is to replace the M3 with a 911, as the total storage space of the wagon plus the 911 will be equal to that in two small sedans. Or something like that.

FC
11-17-2008, 01:47 PM
535xiT MT. Pricey, but hey it's something. It's ugly as sin though, hence my waiting (and hoping) for the next gen (F11).

...unless the CTS-V wagon comes to life.

equ
11-17-2008, 01:59 PM
There is a lot of misinformation in this thread... Of course, people with vastly faster cars don't bother with lowly 200ish hp distinctions.

I have driven the 325/328/330/335 numerous times in i and xi versions. Owned two zhps and two e90 330's.

The difference between the 325 and the 328 was noticeable to me. I think a 325i sport rwd would be acceptable but needs to be revved a good bit. In the xi, I found the 325xi a bit weak, but that could be me. I've tested some autos as well, though the 325/328 have crappy AT's and should only be considered in MT.

The 330 is one sweet engine, and yes it is noticeably stronger in torque and smoothness than a zhp with superior economy. Much better gear ratios as well. The car itself is luxo feeling and e39-ish in bloat so it dampens the feeling of speed. The upside is a fantastic highway cruise, nearly as good as the e39. And in the twisties it can probably hold its own or better a zhp, though with less of the puppy dog feel.

The 335 that I've tried numerous times doesn't work for me. I find what I lose in reliability, economy, initial purchase cost and sweetness from the 330 is not offset by the massive increase in power. It's still tied to a relatively soft car. If somehow my 330 went poof, I'd consider it and then worry about reliability... As long as my 330 is healthy, there is no reason for me to go to a 335 though.

I'm not a big fan of the e91. The looks and the cargo area don't do it for me. If I had to have a wagon I'd consider it though. I drove an MT montego blue sports pack 328xiT last summer, it felt fast enough, driven the usual bmw way with some revs.

JST
11-17-2008, 02:11 PM
The 330 is one sweet engine, and yes it is noticeably stronger in torque and smoothness than a zhp with superior economy. Much better gear ratios as well. The car itself is luxo feeling and e39-ish in bloat so it dampens the feeling of speed. The upside is a fantastic highway cruise, nearly as good as the e39. And in the twisties it can probably hold its own or better a zhp, though with less of the puppy dog feel.

Yeah, that's what I meant. :eeps: It's been a long time since I sampled TD's E90 330 back-to-back with my E46 330 ZHP, but what I remember from that drive was that the E90's engine felt a lot smoother but also less interesting. It had plenty of power but the E46 was more fun and felt quicker, probably because it was smaller and louder with a cammier engine.

The 335 that I've tried numerous times doesn't work for me. I find what I lose in reliability, economy, initial purchase cost and sweetness from the 330 is not offset by the massive increase in power. It's still tied to a relatively soft car. If somehow my 330 went poof, I'd consider it and then worry about reliability... As long as my 330 is healthy, there is no reason for me to go to a 335 though.

Different strokes. I've come to realize that I like a bit of drama in my engines. Smooth as silk turns me off; I want an edge. I remember being sad, believe it or not, when I traded my SVT Contour for an E46 323 because the 323, while better in literally every other way, just didn't have the raucous engine of the Contour.

Until I got the recent software update, I had no gripes at all with the 335's engine. It was titanically fast, had big block torque throughout low RPMs and mid-range, and delivered quite reasonable economy for the performance. The software update has crappened the engine, though--suddenly there's squishy lag rather than a firehose of oomph when you put your boot into it at highway speed. There's a noticeable and disconcerting hesitation...a pause...and then, like a rubber band snapping back, the familiar shove in the back that used to be instant. I may be hallucinating, but I swear the fuel economy has gotten worse, too.

It's still a very nice car, but it is a shame that it isn't as good as it was a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately, I won't have it much longer.

Rob
11-17-2008, 02:28 PM
Comments like this always make me wonder if I don't say I notice turbo lag with this car b/c I actually have it when others didn't. On the other hand, I am staying away from the dealer as long as I can - perhaps they will have fixed this software problem with a new software update before the dealer gets its hands on my car to screw it up.

equ, where is there a "lot of disinformation?" Looks like a bunch of perceptions to me, except for maybe Stuka not bothering to differentiate between two hamster powered engines.

Sharp11
11-17-2008, 02:54 PM
I drove a 325i wagon at the Komen drive back in 06 - I don't recall it being an xi version, but it felt very slow and heavy, with soft and lazy steering inputs. No SP on that one. I remember thinking the structure was ultra-solid.

The only 328 I've driven was a coupe - I drove it back to back against a 335i - the 328 felt snappy, smooth and refined. It wasn't fun at all as a coupe (perhaps it'd be ok as a wagon though). The 335i put a smile on my face.

I took an extensive test drive of an S2000 today - new thread coming.

Ed

equ
11-17-2008, 03:00 PM
equ, where is there a "lot of disinformation?" Looks like a bunch of perceptions to me, except for maybe Stuka not bothering to differentiate between two hamster powered engines.

Well, Stuka implied they're all the same, and that's wrong. JST claimed the zhp is faster than the e90 330 and that is wrong as well.

equ
11-17-2008, 03:02 PM
I drove a 325i wagon at the Komen drive back in 06 - I don't recall it being an xi version, but it felt very slow and heavy, with soft and lazy steering inputs. No SP on that one. I remember thinking the structure was ultra-solid.

The only 328 I've driven was a coupe - I drove it back to back against a 335i - the 328 felt snappy, smooth and refined. It wasn't fun at all as a coupe (perhaps it'd be ok as a wagon though). The 335i put a smile on my face.

I took an extensive test drive of an S2000 today - new thread coming.

Ed

That wagon was a slushy 06 325xiT (I drove it the same day in the same dealership). GF & I didn't like it either. A manual 328xiT is much better.

I also drove a carrera S pdk this weekend (as well as rode in a heavily modified cayman)... I guess i need to post as well.

JST
11-17-2008, 03:36 PM
Well, Stuka implied they're all the same, and that's wrong. JST claimed the zhp is faster than the e90 330 and that is wrong as well.

No, JST very carefully said that the ZHP feels faster than the E90.

TD
11-17-2008, 03:41 PM
On TD's very informal list of possible next cars is an '05 ZHP.

equ
11-17-2008, 03:45 PM

True, I could be more careful. At the pain of splitting hairs however, if you only say "A feels faster than B" without adding "B is actually at least as fast as A", you can easily be misinterpreted.

TD
11-17-2008, 03:49 PM
True, I could be more careful. At the pain of splitting hairs however, if you only say "A feels faster than B" without adding "B is actually at least as fast as A", you can easily be misinterpreted.
Remember, JST is a lawyer and uses words deliberately. I have learned to pay close attention to the specificity of the words he uses, especially when compared to the words he could have used (or that a typical person would have used).

equ
11-17-2008, 04:32 PM
You're used to stratospheric levels of power, with that backdrop your opinion is quite reasonable.

John V
11-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Any of them will positively smoke an E30. And they don't feel fast, because they don't have a lot of fury. The E36 M3 FELT fast, but the E46 ZHP and the E90s are just about as fast or faster. :dunno:

None of them are underpowered for what they are.

Rob
11-17-2008, 06:46 PM
Imo, the 335 is WAY faster than the e36 M3 was. Fwiw. It's got tons more torque and that torque is on tap pretty much no matter what you are doing.

John V
11-18-2008, 06:33 AM
I wasn't talking about the 335. Of course that car is much faster.

SCA
11-18-2008, 07:31 AM
I have driven both the E90 325 & the 328 as loaner cars. Naturally, both vehicles were autos, but the 328 is without a doubt bit snappier than the 325. Via the butt dyno the 328 feels equivalent to a 330.

John V
11-18-2008, 02:39 PM
I think with the E30 / E36 M3 it's a combination of low weight and relative lack of refinement (NVH kind of stuff) that makes them feel faster because they're more involving.

The later cars are more isolated, softer, heavier, and while they're faster they feel less exciting.

JST
11-18-2008, 02:58 PM
There's just something about the E30.

It's totally crude.

Totally loud.

And on twisty roads, even with stock suspension and polyurthane bushings, and bodyroll, they are just fun to drive. And they feel fast.

The 335 to me was way faster in all respect to all other E90's.

Well, not all other E90s.

SCA
11-19-2008, 07:26 AM
Oh yeah, forgot about that one.:lol:

Considering the price of admission it is easily forgettable.