PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk family trucksters (do-it-all wagon crossover)

Optimus Prime
10-22-2008, 11:58 AM
The 330i gets returned next march and we're likely to go down to a one auto household.

Here's the situation. I live 2 miles from work, and there's a very good chance that my best friend is getting hired where I now work. He's got a truck very much like mine and just paid it off and he'll be keeping it for a long time. My wife is only 3 or 4 miles to work. We have two large dogs that we take everywhere.

When we turn the 330i in our vehicles will include:
-bicycles (MTN bike set up for urban commuting, touring bike set up for commuting, wife's bike is a hybrid)
-Motorcycles (I've got a BMW R1200RT that I can ride in anything but snow, wife has a Honda 400 that is a great around town bike)
-Truck (2006 silverado ext cab, long bed. We used this a lot when we were remodeling the house, but it's essentially an extra car now. We've got a 0% loan, but with the way truck values are tanking I bet I'm upside down on it)

Since I don't use my truck for hauling much anymore, I figure it won't be an issue to just borrow my friends when needed. So I'm looking for a solid, inexpensive (sort of a sliding scale, but I'm looking for high value), do it all car/wagon/cross over. I'd really like over 30mpg. I plan to either ride my bicycle, motorcycle or carpool with my friend to work. So we'll just have one car for the family.

Currently I'm considering the Honda Fit, Jetta Sportswagen (TDI?), Mazda 3 (I hate our local mazda dealer)

Feel free to add comments or suggestions.

JST
10-22-2008, 12:13 PM
The 330i gets returned next march and we're likely to go down to a one auto household.

Here's the situation. I live 2 miles from work, and there's a very good chance that my best friend is getting hired where I now work. He's got a truck very much like mine and just paid it off and he'll be keeping it for a long time. My wife is only 3 or 4 miles to work. We have two large dogs that we take everywhere.

When we turn the 330i in our vehicles will include:
-bicycles (MTN bike set up for urban commuting, touring bike set up for commuting, wife's bike is a hybrid)
-Motorcycles (I've got a BMW R1200RT that I can ride in anything but snow, wife has a Honda 400 that is a great around town bike)
-Truck (2006 silverado ext cab, long bed. We used this a lot when we were remodeling the house, but it's essentially an extra car now. We've got a 0% loan, but with the way truck values are tanking I bet I'm upside down on it)

Since I don't use my truck for hauling much anymore, I figure it won't be an issue to just borrow my friends when needed. So I'm looking for a solid, inexpensive (sort of a sliding scale, but I'm looking for high value), do it all car/wagon/cross over. I'd really like over 30mpg. I plan to either ride my bicycle, motorcycle or carpool with my friend to work. So we'll just have one car for the family.

Currently I'm considering the Honda Fit, Jetta Sportswagen (TDI?), Mazda 3 (I hate our local mazda dealer)

Feel free to add comments or suggestions.

Golf or A3. Mini Clubman. Honda CR-V. Mazda 5. Subaru Forester. Matrix/Vibe.

I'd probably go with the CR-V. The Fit or Clubman would be the most fun, but the least practical as a single car. The A3/GTI would be perhaps the perfect compromise, but it sounds like you are leaning a bit more toward utility than sport.

lupinsea
10-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Pretty much what JST said.

I like our Volvo V50 wagon . . . more fun to drive than the Mazda6 V6 wagon we test drove. And more room than the Mazda3. Though if it were up to me I'd probably look around at other vehicles. And we got it for the same price as a used, 4 year old Mazda6 wagon, too.

Speaking of Volvo, the C30 was pretty cool when I sat in it and played around with it at the dealership. It'd be worth a look. ~28 mpg and a 227 hp engine. Seemed a bit larger than a standard MINI but probably not as big as a Mazda3.

I think there have been some interesting cross overs out there but since I'm not in the market I haven't been paying attention. The CR-V seems like it would be a solid car, but boring. Not sure about the others.

Rob
10-22-2008, 03:54 PM
No mention of the Yaris? What's wrong with you guys? You can't bobsled in a Yaris or launch one from an aircraft carrier.

I like the fit, but it's hardly a replacement for a pickup in utility. The Jetta isn't much bigger. I think the Matrix is worth checking out.