PDA

View Full Version : I am a soap believer.

Masskrug
04-29-2004, 04:18 PM
Wow.

I never thought much of the type of car soap to use when washing the cars. I always just bought a big jug o'whatever from Costco. Seemed to work, so why change?

Ran out, didn't feel like going all the way to Costco. Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash on sale at Fred Meyer's while picking up some baby food.

A 180 degree shift in thought process. The soap DOES matter. It is much more lubricating and dirt dissolving and suspending than the usual cheapie wash stuff. I cannot believe it. I am still having a hard time accepting this...soap should be soap???!!!!

Rob
04-29-2004, 06:32 PM
It's a compromise. The jug-o-car wash is typically formulated to remove the least amount of wax possible. As a bonus, it doesn't remove the dirt, either.

I am a big fan of Griot's car wash. It takes the dirt off and leaves most of the wax on - but it definately removes wax. Use too much (easy to do with softened water) and it removes most of the wax.

I suppose one of those "bonding" waxes like zaino might be proof against it. You could get the best of both worlds.

Masskrug
04-29-2004, 06:47 PM
I am a Z man.

For a lazy guy like me, a long lasting polymer system is the shiznit.

clyde
04-29-2004, 06:51 PM
It's a compromise. The jug-o-car wash is typically formulated to remove the least amount of wax possible. As a bonus, it doesn't remove the dirt, either.

I am a big fan of Griot's car wash. It takes the dirt off and leaves most of the wax on - but it definately removes wax. Use too much (easy to do with softened water) and it removes most of the wax.

I suppose one of those "bonding" waxes like zaino might be proof against it. You could get the best of both worlds.
I've been using Meguiar's Gold Class Car Shampoo since I got the wagon (almost 2.5 years). The only time it was waxed was before I signed the papers (see my Rejex thread in this forum). I washed the car more frequently when it was new...less and less often as it has aged, but it took about 2 years before water stopped beading nicely. :dunno:

dan
04-29-2004, 06:54 PM
I tried the 1Z Perls shampoo and I really like it...I also really dig the bottle design--lets you measure out a "capful" without actually using the cap.

You squeeze the bottle with the cap on, and a reservoir shoots the shampoo into the top part. Then you remove the cap, and only the stuff that's in the top part pours out.

http://www.1z-usa.com/images/1z/shop/Perls.gif

blee
04-29-2004, 10:58 PM
I tried the 1Z Perls shampoo and I really like it...I also really dig the bottle design--lets you measure out a "capful" without actually using the cap.

You squeeze the bottle with the cap on, and a reservoir shoots the shampoo into the top part. Then you remove the cap, and only the stuff that's in the top part pours out.

http://www.1z-usa.com/images/1z/shop/Perls.gifHello, and welcome to Plax....from ten years ago. ;)

dan
04-30-2004, 12:56 PM
Hello, and welcome to Plax....from ten years ago. ;)
never used the stuff :twisted:

Masskrug
04-30-2004, 03:32 PM
This really sucks because cheap car soap was my last refuge for budget friendlier choices in car care.

Boo.

Roadstergal
06-27-2004, 03:20 AM
I bought a big jug of Meguair's Gold Class car wash, and it's lasted me for over a year with more than half still left. I can't even remember how much it was, but it was less than $10. I can't imagine it would do that much for you budget-wise - just get the Gold Class! ;)