PDA

View Full Version : Special ZHP Bushings?

lupinsea
10-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Uh, yeah. . . seems like a bad joke with the ZHP air and all that stuff.

Anyways.

Took the ZHP in to have a tensioner pulley and emission system tune up under CPO warranty. While they were there the mechanic took a look at my front LCA bushings and said they should be replaced "sooner rather than later". Actually very soon.

I suppose at 91.5k miles I've gotten a decent life out of them.

For $600+ tax they said they could replace them. But I figure I can do that myself.

The only question is, does the ZHP use special LCA front bushings? I thought I heard a harder rubber/polymer is used.

So, should I pony up and get the parts from BMW at $300 (incl tax) or go aftermarket with . . . ?

Poking around I found references to the UUC bushings, the Turner stuff, I think there was a Powerflex set out there, too. Plus on Bavauto they had the "HD" bushings for $90 / set pre-pressed into the aluminum housings (I think they were they Meyle). Though with the OE replacement stuff I haven't seen a special "ZHP" designation (or reference specifically to M sport Package/Perf Pak). Nor did anything stand out on realoem.com other than the control arm itself being Performance Package Related . . . no special listing for the bushings there.

Thoughts?

Also, after a LCA bushing replacement, any need for an alignment? Apart from popping the bushing (and maybe arm?) off and on it doesn't look like there's any adjustable linkage or fasteners I have to mess with.

ff
10-06-2008, 09:25 PM
The ZHP was advertised as using stiffer bushings than the base 330i, yes. Whether that included all bushings, or only certain ones, I'm not sure.

BMW wants $300 for a bag of small rubber parts? That should be illegal. :rolleyes:

bren
10-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Turner has them also - (looks like maybe a few dollars more than you found.)
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=31126757623

I would absolutely stick with the OE parts. I tore the Powerflex bushings in a couple weeks, and the solid stuff really isn't great for street use.

Alignment shouldn't be necessary, assuming you never had it reset with the worn bushings. Although, at 90k miles it probably wouldn't hurt to at least have it checked afterwards.

A 2 jaw puller is pretty much mandatory, unless you want to fashion your own tool for removal. Dawn dish soap and some muscle is all you need to put them on.

Nick M3
10-06-2008, 10:29 PM
I am on the phone so I can't look it up, but ca bshings are WAY cheaper if you buy the bare bushing and and press it into the lollipop yourself. ($8 for m3 lcabs for example.)

rumatt
10-07-2008, 09:17 AM
I am on the phone so I can't look it up, but ca bshings are WAY cheaper if you buy the bare bushing and and press it into the lollipop yourself. ($8 for m3 lcabs for example.)

Last time I looked they don't sell them this way any more.

Nick M3
10-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Last time I looked they don't sell them this way any more.
Sucksass. Good thing I bought a set for the M3 a while ago.

Anyhow, I recommend buying the bushings from rmeuropean.com. If you're replacing the control arms, bimmerworld is selling the full control arm and bushing set for $389.

Plaz
10-07-2008, 10:09 AM

I know it's OT, but I'm confused by this...

you're on the phone so you can't look it up, but you can post? :scratch:

clyde
10-07-2008, 10:11 AM

11.5 hour phone calls are teh sux0rz!!!111one!!1one!!1

Plaz
10-07-2008, 10:13 AM
11.5 hour phone calls are teh sux0rz!!!111one!!1one!!1

I wasn't saying...

never mind.

I'm more confused now, but it doesn't matter.

Carry on.

Nick M3
10-07-2008, 10:17 AM

realoem doesn't really work on the iphone. :(

operknockity
10-07-2008, 10:19 AM
I wasn't saying...

never mind.

I'm more confused now, but it doesn't matter.

Carry on.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

lupinsea
10-07-2008, 12:41 PM
So . . .

There's no special ZHP bushings?

Or

The "upgraded" 66mm replacement bushings are what everything runs now (ZHP, standard suspension, sport suspension, etc)?

Reading through the reviews and write-ups it looks like a medium sized PITA to get the old bushings out so I'd be inclined to go that route. As for removal, I think I have a few spare pullers around the house. Might be worth picking up some all-thread and a drilling a scrap of steel, though, to hook it through the control arm. That looked pretty slick.

Finally, who was the OE manufacturer for the bushings (if anyone knows)? If I can get the same OE parts for less from a place other than the stealership I'd be happy with that. I just want to make sure I'm getting the right manufacturer and the appropriate bushing (if indeed there is a special ZHP bushing).

bren
10-07-2008, 12:51 PM
According to Nick's rmeuropean.com, LEMFOERDER is the OE supplier.

There are no special bushings, everything uses the same - and AFAIK, you can't buy just the separate bushings anymore.

lupinsea
10-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Alright, cool.

I'll pick up the bushings from a non-dealer retailer, then.

clyde
10-07-2008, 02:24 PM
AFAIK, you can't buy just the separate bushings anymore.

Is that the sun I see setting on the horizon? :ack:

Nick M3
10-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Febi/bilstein arms are also good.

lupinsea
10-07-2008, 06:31 PM
I think I'm good on the other stuff. Despite the 91.5k miles on the original suspension the BMW mechanic didn't mention anything else wearing our or looking worn.

But I'll keep the arms in mind. However, I do know they have special control arms for the ZHP models.