PDA

View Full Version : Time for a couple new lessons

Rob
04-26-2004, 05:28 PM
So I changed half my brake lines yesterday. The other three had fittings that would not let loose. When I say wouldn't let loose, I mean the fitting preferred deforming over breaking free, even with the nifty flare wrenches that I bought for the job.

Suggestions?

Second, I flushed the brakes properly afterwards, following all the suggestions and advice gleaned from years of reading boards, as well as following my own successful procedures used for bleeding. The fluid went from yellow to blue very quickly, even on the rear left wheel (nowhere near a quart). None of them had significant air come out with the exception of the rear left wheel - the one I didn't get either line off of. Before the air came, the fluid coming out was a mixture of the two and the air pocket was huge. BUT - there is still air in the line.

Suggestions?

The HACK
04-26-2004, 05:41 PM
If you do not plan on retaining the old lines, use a vice grip.

Clamp down on that sucker HARD. That's how I removed Scott's lines.

scottn2retro
04-26-2004, 08:02 PM
Hey there -

Man, is this a sore subject for the retro racer and one that will rear it's ugly head in the future.

In trying to get the calipers off to re-build them, the rear brake lines would not budge. I actually snapped off one leaving the threaded part in the caliper. An attempt was made to get it out, but to no avail. $100 later for a new caliper on the right rear.

On the left rear, HACK and I resorted to finding another coupling further up the line that we could get apart. Ended up rebuilding that caliper with the brake line still attached. Some time down the road, could another rear caliper be in my future? :(

But doing all that brake line removing (and then leaking on the one that was broken) let a lot of air in the system. Took a lot of brake bleeds to finally get the brake pedal to feel right again.

Rob
04-26-2004, 09:03 PM
Hack, thanks for the suggestion. I tried that. :( It wasn't until I used a vice grip that there was a problem - before that, the whole line turned. When I held the hose steady, the fitting started to strip. Oh well, my mechanic will be happy to help me out, I am sure.

Scott, thanks. At least I am not alone. Do you think it might help to do a two man bleed with the pedal instead of a brake bleeder for a situation like this? Might all be the same I suppose.