PDA

View Full Version : Delaying sportscar purchase.

FC
09-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Had a long talk with the wife and the bottomline is that right now is a bad time to buy a 3rd car. I know, it sucks but it's true.

I saw this coming (aty can look this up) but the remodeling really put us in a position where while I could buy the car, the timing is not right financially (nevermind that I would rightly get shit for spending money on a weekend toy car that I would probably barely touch for 4 months or so). We're better off paying down the short term loans taken out for the house work. We're also very tired and busy trying to move back in to our own house, trying to buy all the little things that will finish off he work (bathroom accessories, closet systems, etc), and planning our kids 1st B-day (it will be very simple, but still). There is too much going on to worry about an expensive toy.

The agreed upon delay of the purchase brought about more discussions on family planning and where exactly this car would fit on the heels of deciding to keep the 330i. The tentative decision is to hold off on buying a sportscar using the same criteria as the MCS - that is, wait until the youngest child faces forward and then sell the 330i and buy a 911 that I can use "daily". When exactly that is is hard to tell right now. It could be in a year, or 2 or 3 depending on our success in having a 2nd kid.

The idea of buying cheap weekend car to hold me over until I swap the 330i for a 911 is not completely out, but buying JV's car right now unfortunately is.

I debated whether to post this at all, but I figured I've annoyed you all enough for so long, I might as well write this up too.

The funny thing is, I'm not really all that bummed out about the decision. Must be all these other concerns at the moment.

Good luck with the sale John.

clyde
09-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Some decisions are tough to make, but it sounds like you're probably making the right one for you and your family. We all give you a lot of shit about certain things, but that's just because it's fun for us. ;)

Whatever you wind up doing, you wind up doing, and that's life. Life likes to fuck with plans because it finds it fun to do so.

So...I believe that bonoboy still takes paypal. :p

FC
09-14-2008, 07:39 PM
Some decisions are tough to make, but it sounds like you're probably making the right one for you and your family. We all give you a lot of shit about certain things, but that's just because it's fun for us. ;)

Whatever you wind up doing, you wind up doing, and that's life. Life likes to fuck with plans because it finds it fun to do so.

So...I believe that bonoboy still takes paypal. :p

FWIW, and I know it's irrelevant, the bet, even taken out of context as aty likes to do, was that I would do nothing until '08, which we've been in for 9 months now. As I see it he owes me money since I never sold the 330i before '08 nor did I change a car on a whim. As he sees it, I owe him money for selling the Saabaru before '08.

Back to topic, yes it's a tough decision but I'm comfortable with it. I love how the house looks and more importantly works now.

Sharp11
09-14-2008, 11:37 PM
Had a long talk with the wife and the bottomline is that right now is a bad time to buy a 3rd car. I know, it sucks but it's true.

I saw this coming (aty can look this up) but the remodeling really put us in a position where while I could buy the car, the timing is not right financially (nevermind that I would rightly get shit for spending money on a weekend toy car that I would probably barely touch for 4 months or so). We're better off paying down the short term loans taken out for the house work. We're also very tired and busy trying to move back in to our own house, trying to buy all the little things that will finish off he work (bathroom accessories, closet systems, etc), and planning our kids 1st B-day (it will be very simple, but still). There is too much going on to worry about an expensive toy.

The agreed upon delay of the purchase brought about more discussions on family planning and where exactly this car would fit on the heels of deciding to keep the 330i. The tentative decision is to hold off on buying a sportscar using the same criteria as the MCS - that is, wait until the youngest child faces forward and then sell the 330i and buy a 911 that I can use "daily". When exactly that is is hard to tell right now. It could be in a year, or 2 or 3 depending on our success in having a 2nd kid.

The idea of buying cheap weekend car to hold me over until I swap the 330i for a 911 is not completely out, but buying JV's car right now unfortunately is.

I debated whether to post this at all, but I figured I've annoyed you all enough for so long, I might as well write this up too.

The funny thing is, I'm not really all that bummed out about the decision. Must be all these other concerns at the moment.

Good luck with the sale John.

Eh, I wouldn't worry about it, you've got your whole life to buy and sell cars, and car makers will make certain there's always something for you to buy :)

FC
09-15-2008, 07:55 AM
Eh, I wouldn't worry about it, you've got your whole life to buy and sell cars, and car makers will make certain there's always something for you to buy :)

True.

SARAFIL
09-15-2008, 08:34 AM
You know, I think this might be a good move... or at least you can pay off some of the house-related debt and then start looking again for a toy in the spring! :eeps: :D

FC
09-15-2008, 08:36 AM
You know, I think this might be a good move... or at least you can pay off some of the house-related debt and then start looking again for a toy in the spring! :eeps: :D

It's not out of the question.

rumatt
09-15-2008, 08:47 AM
As long as you brought it up. :bustingup

the bet, even taken out of context as aty likes to do, was that I would do nothing until '08, which we've been in for 9 months now.

But you did do something before 08.

As I see it he owes me money since I never sold the 330i before '08 nor did I change a car on a whim.

But that's not what you bet (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showpost.php?p=126012&postcount=11). :?

As he sees it, I owe him money for selling the Saabaru before '08.

I'm still not how this is incorrect. The wording of the bet was not ambiguous. Just saying "I'm not paying because it's the internet" would end this faster than claiming the bet said something it didn't. :confused:

FC
09-15-2008, 08:54 AM
I've explained myself before and won't do it again.

rumatt
09-15-2008, 09:34 AM
I've explained myself before and won't do it again.

The problem is that nobody gets your explaination. :rolleyes:

Sharp11
09-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Of course, if aty were a class act, he'd wish FC well and forget the whole thing .... ;)

ff
09-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Of course, if aty were a class act, he'd wish FC well and forget the whole thing .... ;)

:+1

Rob
09-15-2008, 12:38 PM

Why? It's much more fun to blow the dust off and poke him every so often. :lol:

FC can handle it, I am sure.

John V
09-15-2008, 09:58 PM

But he's not, so he won't.