-Built 3/03, ED 5/03, US Delivery 6/03

Options
-Performance Pkg
-Bi-Xenon headlights
-Pwr Moonroof
-Heated front seats
-Ice-link

Condition
-Car is in excellent mechanical/electrical shape and is 100% stock (except for Ice-link).
-All records and history
-Paint is B+/A- on all metal parts except for two small dents. Hood has expected small chips, but paint still looks glossy up close.
-Front and rear bumpers are a B- due to some close encounters but still look good.
-M135 wheels are a B+. Just one spot on one spoke has a decent nick.
-Front brakes will be due shortly as well as the 60K-mile service.
-Rear brakes replaced at ~45K miles.
-Michelin PS2's with about 8K miles.
-Car was a commuter that was always warmed up properly, oil changed at most every 7500 miles.
-One-owner, non-smoker.
-Car has been bullet-proof reliable. Only issues were ignition coils (later became a recall on all 330i's) and a lose A/C hose clamp.

Other
-Car was factory-delivered with BMW 1st aid kit and warning triangle.
-Set of M68 Wheels with fairly worn Blizzak LM-22's available separately (decent/good condition).

Price: $18,500.

Detailed photos will be posted in a few days.

killerdeck
08-08-2008, 10:57 AM
WOW! So much for floundering anymore. Im shocked!

FC
08-08-2008, 11:02 AM
It's time. I love it and I'll miss it dearly, but the bottom line is that I'm looking forward to something different, to my wife having her dream car, and for me to have my sports car. If I win the lottery from now until a deal is done I will keep it. As it is, it is worth far too much to have it sitting around.

I think I'll miss it most for just how beautiful I think it is and the memories of the trip to Europe. It's been a superb car.

killerdeck
08-08-2008, 11:18 AM
It's time. I love it and I'll miss it dearly, but the bottom line is that I'm looking forward to something different, to my wife having her dream car, and for me to have my sports car. If I win the lottery from now until a deal is done I will keep it. As it is, it is worth far too much to have it sitting around.

I think I'll miss it most for just how beautiful I think it is and the memories of the trip to Europe. It's been a superb car.

Well, have fun with whatever you get! My 04 ZHP has just over 26,700 miles and I plan on keeping it at least another 5 years. Of course, if my wife had her way we would be getting a 135 sooner than later...

lupinsea
08-08-2008, 02:39 PM
:thumbup: on the for-sale posting!

You're right, they are superb cars. Ours just ticked over 90k (it's an '03) and apart from some cosmetic wear front bumper and a bad battery it's been pleasantly reliable.

Previous owner had the coils replaced under recall and the original head unit was replaced under warranty at 49,200 miles.

Otherwise, not bad.

I'm hoping to stretch it out to 200k miles unless we work in a new car for me in another 3-4 years.

equ
08-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Good luck, FC. It's a tough decision, but you've clearly had the full (and one of the best) e46 experiences. I'd hold on if I were you, but our needs/wants are different.

[I was in Maine for the last week and leaving for Costa Rica in 18hrs so many posts to catch up on]

SCA
08-08-2008, 03:49 PM
:thumbup: :thumbup: Good Luck! Hopefully there will be a P-Car parked in your garage soon.

FC
08-08-2008, 03:51 PM
:thumbup: :thumbup: Good Luck! Hopefully the is a P-Car parked in your garage soon.

That's the idea.

Well, there is a small chance it could be an Elise or S2000, but it will most likely be a P-car.

kognito
08-08-2008, 05:01 PM
FWIW, I would keep (remove) the warning triangle and first aid kit.

If I saw those in a car I was looking at, I would know Euro delivery was done, and that you had saved some big bucks on the price. I would then have to try to knock the price down.

But that is just the way I think.

Good luck with the sale!

equ
08-08-2008, 05:05 PM
There's another flaw in this v70r + mini + porsche plan. There's no room for a bmw in this plan, and one day you will come back to owning one.

FC
08-08-2008, 07:43 PM
There's another flaw in this v70r + mini + porsche plan. There's no room for a bmw in this plan, and one day you will come back to owning one.

I will. In 3-4 years we'll ditch the V70R and get a 5er wagon with a stick and do ED again.

JST
08-08-2008, 10:25 PM
But a Mini *is* a BMW...

equ
08-08-2008, 11:23 PM
You have had a *real* bmw pretty much continuously, so you don't know what it is to not have one. If you're a fan, you stay a fan. I missed them even while I had the croc/s4 avant combo.

FC
08-09-2008, 10:39 AM
But a Mini *is* a BMW...

:+1 And really, for being such a different car, it feels like one.

SCA
08-09-2008, 10:48 AM
You have had a *real* bmw pretty much continuously, so you don't know what it is to not have one. If you're a fan, you stay a fan. I missed them even while I had the croc/s4 avant combo.

Very true!

John V
08-12-2008, 08:50 AM

But they don't build anything that fulfills his requirements. :(

ff
08-12-2008, 09:00 AM
But they don't build anything that fulfills his requirements. :(

Which is kind of sad because BMW is churning out more unique models and trim levels than they ever have. The more they make, the less likely they are to satisfy the needs of their once-loyal following.

And to be honest, the main reason they don't make anything that meets my requirements these days is because they've gotten too expensive. I'm sure there are several models that I could easily live with and enjoy, but those models list for $$ amounts that are well beyond what I think they're worth.

John V
08-12-2008, 09:06 AM
Which is kind of sad because BMW is churning out more unique models and trim levels than they ever have. The more they make, the less likely they are to satisfy the needs of their once-loyal following.

And to be honest, the main reason they don't make anything that meets my requirements these days is because they've gotten too expensive. I'm sure there are several models that I could easily live with and enjoy, but those models list for $$ amounts that are well beyond what I think they're worth.

I could never afford them new. :lol: But what depresses me is that none of the new models appeal to me, even when they've depreciated 40%.

Great deal on FC's ZHP though :)

FC
08-12-2008, 09:25 AM
The only BMW in my radar screen is a future 5er wagon if it's not hideous, has decent cargo space and drives like a BMW ought to - oh and it better be MT. Asking for RWD may be too much.

Sharp11
08-12-2008, 11:26 AM
I wish BMW would build a back-to-basics two seater, like the original Z3.

They've teased us with the possibility of a Z2, but I haven't heard anything about it in quite some time.

Ed

JST
08-12-2008, 11:46 AM
I wish BMW would build a back-to-basics two seater, like the original Z3.

They've teased us with the possibility of a Z2, but I haven't heard anything about it in quite some time.

Ed

Meh. The world doesn't need another car in that segment, though what I'd really love is a RWD convertible based on Mini mechanicals.

ff
08-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Meh. The world doesn't need another car in that segment, though what I'd really love is a RWD convertible based on Mini mechanicals.

Buy the MINI convertible and drive around in reverse. :)

Seriously though, if they built what you're suggesting, and charged a reasonable price for it, I think it would do quite well. It would probably capture my attention.

bren
08-12-2008, 12:18 PM
...what I'd really love is a RWD convertible based on Mini mechanicals.
Uh, I think they call that the 1 series.

JST
08-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Uh, I think they call that the 1 series.

Too heavy. Wrong engine.

FC
08-12-2008, 12:37 PM
JST wants BMW to build a Miata. IOW, what Ed said - bring back the Z3 with a twist and less weight. Then again, you could argue that's what the Elise SC is, it's just very expensive.

FC
08-12-2008, 01:46 PM
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=249749751&dealer_id=4907516&car_year=2005&model=LOTELISE&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&first_record=76&make=LOTUS&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=90024&advanced=&end_year=2009&pager.offset=75&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=237&rdpage=thumb

:dunno:

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showpost.php?p=197506&postcount=8

JST
08-12-2008, 02:38 PM
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=249749751&dealer_id=4907516&car_year=2005&model=LOTELISE&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&first_record=76&make=LOTUS&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=90024&advanced=&end_year=2009&pager.offset=75&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=237&rdpage=thumb

:dunno:

That's hot. I want one of those. But you know what would be even better? One of those with the Mini's 1.6T JCW engine.

FC
08-12-2008, 02:58 PM
I imagine next year the price will be way lower too.:cool:

It's tempting to start looking now, but why bother? I'll realistically start looking in December just to see if I find some smoking, year-end sale and through the winter for a blizzard-inspired deal. Otherwise, as THE PLAN originally called for, I'll start shopping late winter/early spring '09.

The front runners are (in order):

1. 2006+ Cayman S
2. 2007+ Boxster S
3. 2006+ Elise (orange, white, yellow or red only)

Other cars considered: '02+ 996, '05+ 987/S, and in case of a miracle, '05+ 997/S..

FC
08-12-2008, 03:20 PM
FC, in case you haven't done so. You would probably get more bites on bimmerforums.com.

Tons of 3er's transaction volume there.

Ah, thanks.

Sharp11
08-12-2008, 04:09 PM
JST wants BMW to build a Miata. IOW, what Ed said - bring back the Z3 with a twist and less weight. Then again, you could argue that's what the Elise SC is, it's just very expensive.

I think modern levels of rigidity, equipment and a paucity of lightweight materials will continue to make four seat convertibles relative heavyweights.

Even two-seaters these days are getting heavier - Z4's started out at some 2900lbs and crept up over the years with the Mz4 weighing in at around 3200lbs.

Ed

FC
08-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Back on topic... Am I low on the asking price for my car? I've seen a couple of '04's and one '05 that granted are in near-new condition and lower miles but they are asking 23-26K for their cars. My car is still in very good shape, and even fixing both dents and buying brand new and rear bumpers wouldn't get you to $20K.

I guess I'll just stay firm on my price. I should be able to sell it quickly if my suspicion is right.

FC
08-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Any bites on bimmerforums?

One guy asked for photos. I wont get around to taking pictures until this weekend.

rumatt
08-12-2008, 10:58 PM
One guy asked for photos. I wont get around to taking pictures until this weekend.

I would guess you won't get any serious hits until you post pics this weekend.

No pics usually means no interest.

clyde
08-12-2008, 11:05 PM
kinds directed at you, fc, kinda general too.

When I see an ad for a car with a "pics to be posted soon" mentioned, it communicates a few things to me as a buyer:

1) the seller isn't serious. If the seler was serious he'd have the pics ready to go, else hold off on posting until having the pics.

2) the seller probably didn't take care of maint items on a timely basis. Kinda the same thing as 1) above

3) the seller is probably going to be a PITA to deal with. He'll respond when he gets to it. Probably will hem and haw. Etc. Again, see 1).

In this case, or any other, those things may not be true, but as a buyer, I'm looking for things to tell me to pass before I put in much effort. Cars are commodities and there's no reason to waste time with flakes.

In this case, you posted the ad here 4 or 5 days ago...

Just saying...

rumatt
08-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Oh and regarding price, my initial reaction was that it was very fair, maybe even lower than I was expecting.

BUT, I am totally out of the loop on pricing. So it was not a well informed reaction... just a reaction.

FC
08-12-2008, 11:28 PM
kinds directed at you, fc, kinda general too.

When I see an ad for a car with a "pics to be posted soon" mentioned, it communicates a few things to me as a buyer:

1) the seller isn't serious. If the seler was serious he'd have the pics ready to go, else hold off on posting until having the pics.

2) the seller probably didn't take care of maint items on a timely basis. Kinda the same thing as 1) above

3) the seller is probably going to be a PITA to deal with. He'll respond when he gets to it. Probably will hem and haw. Etc. Again, see 1).

In this case, or any other, those things may not be true, but as a buyer, I'm looking for things to tell me to pass before I put in much effort. Cars are commodities and there's no reason to waste time with flakes.

In this case, you posted the ad here 4 or 5 days ago...

Just saying...

Fair enough. But I am busy, and I am not in a huge hurry.

John V
08-13-2008, 07:34 AM
I think modern levels of rigidity, equipment and a paucity of lightweight materials will continue to make four seat convertibles relative heavyweights.

Even two-seaters these days are getting heavier - Z4's started out at some 2900lbs and crept up over the years with the Mz4 weighing in at around 3200lbs.

Ed

Straying further off-topic...

The Corvette isn't getting heavier. the basic C6 Corvette coupe weighs almost exactly the same as the C5. The S2000 gained a little bit of weight between '03 and '04, but most of that had to do with getting larger wheels (17's versus 16's). The Boxster gained weight between 1997 and 1998, because the hubs were strengthened. But otherwise the 987 is the same weight as the 986 was.

So... not everything is getting porky :)

JST
08-13-2008, 08:53 AM
and the R56 is marginally lighter than the R53, despite being a touch bigger.

FC
08-13-2008, 09:06 AM
It's amazing to think that the 330i is a lightweight nowadays at ~3300lbs (and realistically, my car is proabably closer to 3400 with the ZHP anchors, moonroof, etc) yet the MCS is 700-800lbs lighter (IIRC it's ~2600lbs right?).

The truly scary part is that my V70R is probably ~4200lbs now that I've added a towbar, rails, dog kennel, etc, and while it feels pretty heavy to me, that's about what a CTS, AWD german sedans, and even an M3 cabrio weighs.

ff
08-13-2008, 09:37 AM
The truly scary part is that my V70R is probably ~4200lbs now that I've added a towbar, rails, dog kennel, etc, and while it feels pretty heavy to me, that's about what a CTS, AWD german sedans, and even an M3 cabrio weighs.

Our new 4Runner only weighs slightly more than that. I believe that it's right around 4500 lbs. That's only [william the refridgerator perry] more heavy than your V70R. :) ...Which doesn't sound right when you consider that it's a full-frame vehicle with 4WD and a V8. In RWD form with a V6, it weighs just 4045.

FC
08-13-2008, 09:44 AM
Our new 4Runner only weighs slightly more than that. I believe that it's right around 4500 lbs. That's only [william the refridgerator perry] more heavy than your V70R. :) ...Which doesn't sound right when you consider that it's a full-frame vehicle with 4WD and a V8. In RWD form with a V6, it weighs just 4045.

True, but the V70R is a pretty roomy wagon, with a boat anchor out back, big wheels, big brakes, AWD, and in the end I'm just guessing. How an A4 quattro or a CTS or even a RWD M3 cab tops 4000lbs is more perplexing.

Sharp11
08-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Straying further off-topic...

The Corvette isn't getting heavier. the basic C6 Corvette coupe weighs almost exactly the same as the C5. The S2000 gained a little bit of weight between '03 and '04, but most of that had to do with getting larger wheels (17's versus 16's). The Boxster gained weight between 1997 and 1998, because the hubs were strengthened. But otherwise the 987 is the same weight as the 986 was.

So... not everything is getting porky :)

Staying further off topic....:)

You're absolutely right - we seem to be in a bit of a holding pattern wrt weight gain and some manufacturers are doing it right with certain models (generally not the mainstream models), but I was thinking (and wasn't clear about it) of the weight gains over the last few generations.

My first new car, a 1980 VW Rabbit weighed in at exactly 1800lbs - even a Honda Fit weighs more than that. In fairness, that VW had next to no equipment - no PS, AC, PW, AT etc. It was bare-bones and not safe at all by today's standards (but fun to drive) and only had a 90hp engine that returned close to 40mpg on road trips!!

It was small, too with its wheelbase in the mid 90inch range and overall length around 155 inches, it was probably no bigger than a Fit.

Today's Rabbit is at least 1000lbs heavier (and a helluva lot larger), having gotten there incrementally from generation to generation. Size, equipment and rigidity without enough lightweight materials has to be the culprit.

Ed

John V
08-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Yep, the more "mainstream" stuff has gotten heavier. But the bottom line is people are asking for it. More features, more safety, more power.

GRM did an article this month on the four generations of BMW M3. It was interesting to see that the cars gained 200lbs with each generation. I'm rounding, but the weights were about 3,000 for the E30 M3, 3,200 for the E36, 3,400 for the E46 and 3,600 for the current E92 porker. Such a bummer.

I know I'm in the minority, but I love the feel of the mid 80's tin-box Japanese cars. The '88-'91 Civics were like nothing you can buy today. Low hoods, thin doors, light weight, tons of fun. Okay, they aren't "safe" today. And they rust. But they were reliable, good on gas, handled well, had great visibility, and even though they weren't fast, they were fun.

You simply can't buy a car like that anymore.

FC
08-13-2008, 01:54 PM
I drove my sister's '92 corolla in the summer of '97 and it felt very nimble (even if the tires screamed on mild turns at 30mph). Whatever pansie motor it had actually felt like it could move the car pretty well. That car must have been 2800lbs or less.

Then again, my standards at the time were a Ford Taurus wagon and a Dodge Aries.

Sharp11
08-13-2008, 02:23 PM
I know I'm in the minority, but I love the feel of the mid 80's tin-box Japanese cars. The '88-'91 Civics were like nothing you can buy today. Low hoods, thin doors, light weight, tons of fun. Okay, they aren't "safe" today. And they rust. But they were reliable, good on gas, handled well, had great visibility, and even though they weren't fast, they were fun.

John,

You were born too late - wrong generation :)

As I look back at the various cars I've either owned or driven over the last 35 years - there's a definite shrunken down period where everyone went small - it started gradually in the early 70's and ramped up into the 80's when the big three began downsizing.

However, the cars my parents drove (and the first cars I ever piloted) were behemoths - big GM cars with 122 inch wheelbases, V8 motors and big ladder frame chassis. They weren't fun, but they were smooth as silk and fast in a straight line - my dad's generation would always boast you could turn the steering wheel with one finger :lol:

However, those cars rode side by side on the nation's roadways with small VW Beetles, British sports cars and the then new wave of econoboxes (with their 13 inch rims) - for quite a few years. I saw a Jag XKE on the road the other day, I was astonished at how small it looked :eeps: - I never remembered it as so small :dunno:

Cars are getting huge again, even a 92 Accord looks tiny these days.

I suppose today's Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, etc are the Corollas and Rabbits of yesteryear, more or less - "more" actually.

Rob
08-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Ed, we are just at the beginning of another downturn. Once we get rid of 70% of the SUVs on the road, everything will look . . . very different.

3LOU5
08-13-2008, 08:05 PM

:+1

I really liked my '86 (or was it '87??) Accord LXi hatch. That thing just eagerly revved to the moon and handled pretty well for a front-driver. But rust got the better part of it and I ended up giving it to charity. The car didn't lose a drop of oil, even though it had close to 200k miles. :eek:

The only issues it had was the A/C. Wished BMW could build a car like that.

ff
08-13-2008, 08:15 PM

You're in less of a minority that you think. I agree. My first new car was a 91 Civic hatch, and also owned an 87 CRX Si as well as an 88 CRX HF. Those cars were light, indestructible, and so simple to drive and own. And if something ever did go wrong, they were still basic enough that you could work on it yourself.

My wife owned an 83 Civic S hatchback, which was cool as hell, thinking back to it. Not terribly fast, but super light and bulletproof. It had the fancy black sport seats with the swatch of red cloth down the center. :cool:

Rob
08-14-2008, 01:33 PM
I have been in older cars that I remember being a ton of fun back in the day. They aren't a ton of fun anymore. They are noisy and slow and are made of inferior materials and generally don't live up to the hazy memory of how great they were. There's nothing wrong with nostalgia, but I don't want to have to suffer through the reality of what nostalgia paints with a warm fuzy glow on a day by day basis.

I really liked my '86 (or was it '87??) Accord LXi hatch. That thing just eagerly revved to the moon and handled pretty well for a front-driver. But rust got the better part of it and I ended up giving it to charity. The car didn't lose a drop of oil, even though it had close to 200k miles. :eek:

When I sold the 328i, it had 210k miles, didn't burn a drop of oil, the engine reved happily (although slowly compared to the 335), and the AC was fine. The only real repairs were to the cooling system and suspension pieces. It didn't have any rust on it. It was RWD. When I was through with it, I sold it for $8k. Why would BMW want to build something lesser like a FWD Accord? :confused:

John V
08-14-2008, 01:44 PM
I have been in older cars that I remember being a ton of fun back in the day. They aren't a ton of fun anymore. They are noisy and slow and are made of inferior materials and generally don't live up to the hazy memory of how great they were. There's nothing wrong with nostalgia, but I don't want to have to suffer through the reality of what nostalgia paints with a warm fuzy glow on a day by day basis.

My buddy back in Milwaukee still has an old Civic.

And driving it fairly recently, it was just as fun as I remembered. :)

I have driven a few E36 328s at autocross schools. They never felt as good as I expected, probably because I'm always comparing them to the mental image I have of my '95 M3. But with the old Hondas, I'm comparing them to my tank of an Altima (which doesn't have a sporting bone in its 200,000 mile-old body) or my buddy's Geo, which is a real penalty box to drive.

Rob
08-14-2008, 01:52 PM
which is a real penalty box to drive.

:lol:

3LOU5
08-14-2008, 07:02 PM
When I sold the 328i, it had 210k miles, didn't burn a drop of oil, the engine reved happily (although slowly compared to the 335), and the AC was fine. The only real repairs were to the cooling system and suspension pieces. It didn't have any rust on it. It was RWD. When I was through with it, I sold it for $8k. Why would BMW want to build something lesser like a FWD Accord? :confused:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112520&highlight=

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66217&highlight=

And last thing repaired - final stage resistor.

What I was trying to drive at was my Accord never had such problems in its life. The only major maintenance item was the timing belt. Granted, when talking about driving dynamics, Honda isn't even in the same level as the BMW.

But from a maintenance standpoint, I think Honda's get BMW beat. Of course, ymmv.

wdc330i
08-14-2008, 08:51 PM
:+1

I had an Accord Hatchback of the same vintage. An Ex, as I recall, because that one had "power steering." Best darn car I ever had, until my 330i. Both have been exceptional. The hatchback was great because it felt sporty at the time (although I really coveted the CRX back then or a Prelude) but was also extremely practical. I kept it for 9 years. Longer than any other car I've owned. I'm going on 6 1/2 years with the 3--my second longest ownership run.

I'm coveting an e91 these days, in part because I'd like to pair the practicality of a hatchback like the Accord and the sportiness/overall competence of the 3. Put that together with four doors and it's an unbeatable all-around car. Just wish BMW would give us the bigger engine in the wagon. The bigger NA engine. But frankly, the 328iT will be fine in this 30-mph town.

Sharp11
08-14-2008, 09:52 PM
I had an Accord Hatchback of the same vintage. An Ex, as I recall, because that one had "power steering." Best darn car I ever had, until my 330i. Both have been exceptional. The hatchback was great because it felt sporty at the time (although I really coveted the CRX back then or a Prelude) but was also extremely practical. I kept it for 9 years. Longer than any other car I've owned. I'm going on 6 1/2 years with the 3--my second longest ownership run.

I'm coveting an e91 these days, in part because I'd like to pair the practicality of a hatchback like the Accord and the sportiness/overall competence of the 3. Put that together with four doors and it's an unbeatable all-around car. Just wish BMW would give us the bigger engine in the wagon. The bigger NA engine. But frankly, the 328iT will be fine in this 30-mph town.

I bought an 87 Accord LXi hatchback brand new in June of 1987 - saved a whole bunch of pennies for it because , at the time, it was my dream car, more or less - I think it cost me 11 grand out the door and that was a LOT of change back then.

Had a 5 speed, power accessories (something new for me at the time), double wishbones all around, cool (for its day) styling, a 12v engine, great seats.

It had a nasty propensity to porpoise over certain surfaces - I don't think Honda had the rear suspension quite well sorted on that car, but it handled really well for a front driver and it was stable at high speeds.

I kept that car longer than any other, just under 10 years and never spent anything on it except routine maintenance.

Aside from a bit of rust, it still looked good the day I sold it, in fact, the interior still looked new.

clyde
08-14-2008, 11:02 PM
$11k was not that much for a new car in 1987 (msrp even, as opposed to out the door). Average price in 1987 was about $13.3 (over 14 for imports). :dunno:

Sharp11
08-15-2008, 12:56 AM
$11k was not that much for a new car in 1987 (msrp even, as opposed to out the door). Average price in 1987 was about $13.3 (over 14 for imports). :dunno:

I recall my wife and I paying $14,600 in 1992 for our 92 Accord LX sedan - perhaps I've remembered what I paid in 87 wrong, but it would surprise me if it was the same as our 92 - at any rate, it was a lot for me then as it was the most I had paid for a new car (and what seemed like a big jump from my previous car).

Just for fun, other prices I paid (all new cars)

7200 in Sept of 1979 for my 1980 Rabbit C

8000 in July of 1983 for my 83 Accord

19,*** for our 1995 Accord EX wagon in November of 95

31,500 in November of 2000 for my 2000 323i.

Ed

FC
08-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Uploaded photos taken this morning.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27794327@N05/sets/72157606825382220

Also, forgot to mention...

Wheel locks, front BMW rubber mats, Imola Red touch-up paint, dealer replaced front door sills, new front left foglight (original cracked), dealer replaced Alcantara steering wheel at ~30K miles, new left and right front black bumper strips (just put them on yesterday), just perfomed oil change (with BMW oil & fiter, as always).

JST
08-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Uploaded photos taken this morning.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27794327@N05/sets/72157606825382220

Also, forgot to mention...

Wheel locks, front BMW rubber mats, Imola Red touch-up paint, dealer replaced front door sills, new front left foglight (original cracked), dealer replaced Alcantara steering wheel at ~30K miles, new left and right front black bumper strips (just put them on yesterday), just perfomed oil change (with BMW oil & fiter, as always).

Bryan Adams?

JST
08-19-2008, 10:04 AM

If I am recalling my 22 year old Car and Driver road tests correctly (and I may not be), I believe that the base price of a Mustang GT in 1986 was just under 10 grand.

FC
08-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Bryan Adams?

:lol: ...Summer of '69. The iPod awas on random.

killerdeck
08-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Looking very nice! Good luck with the sale.

ZBB
08-19-2008, 11:02 AM
Bryan Adams?

Be nice. His wife is Canadian. :D

Since I also have a Canadian wife, I can sympathize. I think nearly every Bryan Adams album is now on my iPod. :ack:

FC
08-19-2008, 11:42 AM
I only have "So far so good."

SCA
08-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Cars looks great! 8 more years and this would be the perfect first car for my son. He actually wants a 335.:bustingup, but will take a 330 ZHP. He will be paying for it so it will be whatever he can afford.

FC
08-19-2008, 02:20 PM
Sometimes I waffle and wish I could just keep it.

SCA
08-19-2008, 02:22 PM
Sometimes I waffle and wish I could just keep it.

I know how you feel.

It really is a sharp car and in my opinion the prefect color combo.

clyde
08-19-2008, 02:40 PM
If I am recalling my 22 year old Car and Driver road tests correctly (and I may not be), I believe that the base price of a Mustang GT in 1986 was just under 10 grand.

1986 Base MSRP varied from about $10.7-$11.2 through the model year. With the 1987 restyle, that bumped up about $1k (I got it wrong in the other thread about the 87 base price, but see below). Then up again by $500 or so for 1988.

Base prices being what they were, in 86, I'm not sure if you could find a GT that didn't come with the full package of "performance" LSD, power windows, a/c, rear window defroster, console clock, map light, tilt wheel, cruise, "premium" sound, tinted glass, and heavy duty battery. Altogether, those added up to near $4k. The only things that really seemed to be "options" were T-tops, sunroof, transmission, and two-tone paint.

clyde
08-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Be nice. His wife is Canadian. :D

Since I also have a Canadian wife, I can sympathize. I think nearly every Bryan Adams album is now on my iPod. :ack:

I was made in Canada, but Bryan Adams is not on my iPod (or iPhone).

FC
08-19-2008, 02:46 PM
I was made in Canada, but Bryan Adams is not on my iPod (or iPhone).

Oh c'mon. Bryan Adams is no Enrique Iglesias.

JST
08-19-2008, 03:06 PM
1986 Base MSRP varied from about $10.7-$11.2 through the model year. With the 1987 restyle, that bumped up about $1k (I got it wrong in the other thread about the 87 base price, but see below). Then up again by $500 or so for 1988.

Base prices being what they were, in 86, I'm not sure if you could find a GT that didn't come with the full package of "performance" LSD, power windows, a/c, rear window defroster, console clock, map light, tilt wheel, cruise, "premium" sound, tinted glass, and heavy duty battery. Altogether, those added up to near $4k. The only things that really seemed to be "options" were T-tops, sunroof, transmission, and two-tone paint.

A quick internet search reveals I was remembering a road test of the 1985 Mustang that appeared in the Jan. 1985 issue, not the '86. So, off by a year.

FC
08-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Let me just say that I find it pretty funny that almost all of the guys interested in my car from E46Fanatics are so picky about the little dent or scratch instead of making sure that a performance BMW that is out of warranty is mechanically sound.

operknockity
08-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Let me just say that I find it pretty funny that almost all of the guys interested in my car from E46Fanatics are so picky about the little dent or scratch instead of making sure that a performance BMW that is out of warranty is mechanically sound.

Why am I not really surprised???

rumatt
08-20-2008, 02:40 PM
a performance BMW

To which car are you referring? :p

FC
08-20-2008, 02:41 PM
To which car are you referring? :p

:mad2:

Hey, it's not a silver, 325xi with a slushie.:dunno:

Aerials
08-20-2008, 07:19 PM
Once I get my ZHP, I will be buried in it. I would store it away before ever considering selling it.

FC
08-23-2008, 10:03 AM
Um, the car is no longer for sale.

Plaz
08-23-2008, 10:14 AM

FC
08-23-2008, 10:29 AM

:D

:o

:ack:

killerdeck
08-23-2008, 01:18 PM
Waffler! :lol:

Aerials
08-23-2008, 04:27 PM

Good man!:thumbup:

Sharp11
08-23-2008, 08:53 PM
I think rwg should represent us in a class action suit against FC.

We could sue him for yanking our collective chain ..... :lol:

Plaz
08-23-2008, 09:22 PM
Good man!:thumbup:

That's an evil avatar.

rumatt
08-24-2008, 03:52 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Aerials
08-24-2008, 04:22 PM
That's an evil avatar.

Not if you're the one behind the wheel;)

It's only evil when it's behind you.:lol: