PDA

View Full Version : Nissan Pathfinder

equ
07-30-2008, 10:50 PM
No, I have not lost my mind (or at least I don't think so).

I met up with an ex-co-worker. He's moving back to his home country (JP) and is selling his 1997 Pathfinder, 120k miles, clean condition. The company will establish private party value (sth like $5k) and if he sells under it, they'll cover him. So he just asked his mechanic what he'd pay and the shop gave him a number that starts with a 1 (and is only 4 digits). :eek: Since he has no incentive in this, he WILL sell it to the shop for so little in a few days. I can essentially pick it up around 2k (I'm guessing). Should this be my first SUV?

Pros:
- Fun from an impulsive decision
- Likely clean car (he has no reason to mislead me, no financial stake)
- Almost guaranteed no loss (or perhaps small profit)

Cons:
- Regret from an impulsive decision
- Hassle (Is it really worth my time to clean this car up, drive it and then after I undoubtedly get tired of it, advertise it to break even or make $1k?)
- Slushy (I haven't owned or missed having an AT in 12 years)
- Hassle (third/fourth car). Hello? I have barely enough time to round up/service/enjoy the herd that I have.
- Mostly his wife's car (he is taking is LHD rx-8 back home as he thinks it'll be "cool" to have that there). He used to say she's no great driver. Probably lots of cosmetics and I don't think I can really examine under the conditions.

zach
07-30-2008, 11:02 PM
No, I have not lost my mind (or at least I don't think so).

I met up with an ex-co-worker. He's moving back to his home country (JP) and is selling his 1997 Pathfinder, 120k miles, clean condition. The company will establish private party value (sth like $5k) and if he sells under it, they'll cover him. So he just asked his mechanic what he'd pay and the shop gave him a number that starts with a 1 (and is only 4 digits). :eek: Since he has no incentive in this, he WILL sell it to the shop for so little in a few days. I can essentially pick it up around 2k (I'm guessing). Should this be my first SUV?

Pros:
- Fun from an impulsive decision
- Likely clean car (he has no reason to mislead me, no financial stake)
- Almost guaranteed no loss (or perhaps small profit)

Cons:
- Regret from an impulsive decision
- Hassle (Is it really worth my time to clean this car up, drive it and then after I undoubtedly get tired of it, advertise it to break even or make $1k?)
- Slushy (I haven't owned or missed having an AT in 12 years)
- Hassle (third/fourth car). Hello? I have barely enough time to round up/service/enjoy the herd that I have.
- Mostly his wife's car (he is taking is LHD rx-8 back home as he thinks it'll be "cool" to have that there). He used to say she's no great driver. Probably lots of cosmetics and I don't think I can really examine under the conditions.

If it were me in this situation right this minute, I'd do it. In fact, if you don't do it...;)

clyde
07-30-2008, 11:45 PM
Kinda sounds like a pretty good deal...but one that doesn't have a whole lot of upside for you. :dunno: Sometimes, those happen.

John V
07-31-2008, 06:30 AM
Barring major mechanical issues, I would snatch that up in a second.

rautox
07-31-2008, 07:58 AM
Barring major mechanical issues, I would snatch that up in a second.
+1

equ
07-31-2008, 01:57 PM
Kinda sounds like a pretty good deal...but one that doesn't have a whole lot of upside for you. :dunno: Sometimes, those happen.

Bingo, you stated clearer than I would have.

While there is no monetary downside (only hassle), it's not likely to be a particularly cool car (like an old FJ or a proper Jeep/Land Rover e.g.) such that its ownership is an experience. Nor is the financial upside likely to be greater than 1k.

It might have made a good ski trip mobile, but 90% of our ski trip driving is two people on cleared highways. A 330i on snows is going to be much better for eating up the miles to northern Vermont.

Rob
07-31-2008, 03:11 PM
Why? I mean, the price is not high and that's great, but do you need the car? What would you use it for? Is it a lot of money saved or $2k wasted? A deal for the sake of getting the deal on a car doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

kognito
07-31-2008, 03:29 PM
It might have made a good ski trip mobile, but 90% of our ski trip driving is two people on cleared highways. A 330i on snows is going to be much better for eating up the miles to northern Vermont.

yeah, but when some old dude slides into you and your Pathfinder, who cares!!!;)

lupinsea
07-31-2008, 05:40 PM
While there is no monetary downside (only hassle), it's not likely to be a particularly cool car (like a Jeep) such that its ownership is an experience.

Fixed. :D

I'd have to agree that if you don't need it, why bother paying for it. Some times I get the sense my wife will buy stuff because it's on sale rather than because its on sale AND we need something.

Anything you could / want to use it for that your current cars can't do or you don't want to use them for? Trailer / boat / snowmobile towing? Cargo hauler? Rough(er) road / mountain road explorer? Outdoor activity vehicle (mountain bikes, kyaks, camping, um, stuff)?

Now, if you cold buy it and turn around a sell it for a profit it might be worth it.

Might have enough to buy an old Jeep.

John V
07-31-2008, 05:53 PM
I dunno, I think about it as being a more practical version of my current car, but my current car was free so I guess that's the difference.

clyde
08-01-2008, 12:18 AM
I dunno, I think about it as being a more practical version of my current car, but my current car was free so I guess that's the difference.

Actually, I think the Altima is the more practical choice for what I see of your use...not that being able to put things like a beer fridge in it from time to time wouldn't be useful, of course. But that's really the "third" vehicle kind of thing...one that's only used when it's specialty is called for.

Sharp11
08-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Why? I mean, the price is not high and that's great, but do you need the car? What would you use it for? Is it a lot of money saved or $2k wasted? A deal for the sake of getting the deal on a car doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

That's my take - I recall the old adage "don't buy the deal"

Ed

John V
08-01-2008, 10:31 AM
Actually, I think the Altima is the more practical choice for what I see of your use...not that being able to put things like a beer fridge in it from time to time wouldn't be useful, of course. But that's really the "third" vehicle kind of thing...one that's only used when it's specialty is called for.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new beer fridge. I was kind of wondering if I should just put it ON the Altima.

I am only 39% serious.

FC
08-01-2008, 10:37 AM
But that's really the "third" vehicle kind of thing...one that's only used when it's specialty is called for.

Exactly.

clyde
08-01-2008, 12:55 PM
I'm about to pull the trigger on a new beer fridge. I was kind of wondering if I should just put it ON the Altima.

I am only 39% serious.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2381/2383082242_11f310d414.jpg (http://flickr.com/photos/heninger/2383082242/)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2370/2099231788_765e2d0f84.jpg (http://flickr.com/photos/holmessafety/2099231788/)

:dunno:

John V
08-01-2008, 01:50 PM
:dunno:

Thank you for confirming that my idea is sound.