PDA

View Full Version : Rejex?

clyde
04-03-2004, 09:03 PM
Anyone besides Nick use Rejex (http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html)? He talked me into buying some a few weeks ago. I used it for the first time today. I did both the RX-8 and the 325xiT.

I did the 8 first and had no clue if I was putting on enough, too much or not enough. On the gray paint with gray ill defined clouds above being reflected, it was difficult to tell if it was being applied everywhere and/or evenly. It sort of looked like it hazed over quickly, but I wasn't sure, so I let it sit a few little while longer. Then I thought, "Fuck it...what's the worst that can happen?" I've had the RX-8 for 4 months and 3,000 miles. It's never been waxed (or polymer equivalent), not even before delivery. In fact, there was still adhesive residue on the hood and roof from the protective covering used during shipping. Water never beaded well on the car and the surface never felt smooth or slippery before. So, I wiped it off (it came off very easily) and damn if the car wasn't super slick and it looked super clean.

I had a much easier time with the Orient Blue 325xiT. It was a lot easier to see what was going on over the dark surface. When I was done, and had wiped the car down to remove the residue, it looked like it was freshly wet. The car hasn't looked that clean since it was new nearly 2.5 years ago. My wife came outside to say, "Wow." She had seen it though the window and felt compelled to come outside...usually she doesn't notice or give a shit.

Anyway, it takes 12 hours to cure and the bottle says not expose it to dirt or the elements, but i don't have much of a choice. And the trees are dropping all kinds of crap (not the fine, scratchy pollen though), which made washing and application/removal a little interesting. Still, there are little tree bits on both cars...but the cars look great.

The goal was to get this stuff on before the cicada brood rears it's ugly collective head. I still have nightmares about cicada guts that I couldn't remove from a Mustang hood 17 years ago.

blee
04-03-2004, 09:45 PM
I'm curious to see it. My car now has two good layers of Zaino on it, but it's a good 17 years old now. Probably not the best comparison.

clyde
04-03-2004, 10:16 PM
I'm curious to see it. My car now has two good layers of Zaino on it, but it's a good 17 years old now. Probably not the best comparison.See it? "It"=RX-8?

How interesting, deep, wet, shiny can you make gray look? Black, dark blue, etc are different. Nick has it on his wagon. not sure when the most recent application was for him, but this is from the last time he and I were both at your place (and I know that pics aren't a great representation)...

http://clydeorama.com/albums/album07/blackxit.jpg

blee
04-03-2004, 10:21 PM
Yeah, pics wo't cut it. I'm interested in claims that stuff will just hose off of it, but other than that, I'd be surprised to see it shine more than Zaino. The RX-8 should be example enough for me, depending on the weather tomorrow.

Mathew
04-03-2004, 11:20 PM
Apply at temperatures below 85F??

Looks like I won't be able to use it...

Nick M3
04-04-2004, 12:39 AM
I will say that I suspect Zaino shines better.

But Rejex takes one single application following standard paint prep. I know that i haven't got anything close to the patience needed to do a decent zaino job -- I can barely manage the rejex application. (And did I mention that it needs unbelievably little effort to remove?)

FWIW, my car is still beading wonderfully two or so months after I rejexed it. That was just one coat, as well.

Nick M3
04-09-2004, 01:07 AM
Saw this on the UUC Garage Mailing list today... :thumbup:

Eric asks:

>Thank God for Spring. Well, at least for "Pittsburgh Spring".
>"Pittsburgh Spring" means that it only snows 1 day per week, and then a
>few days of gray skies and 33 degree rain.
>
>I was going to wax up the cars and remembered that I had a couple
>bottles of Rejex from some Garage-induced mail-order frenzy back in
>November or something.
>
>Has anyone used this stuff on their whole car yet? By the text on the
>website, it sounds like it would be better to remove the existing car
>wax from the paint before applying. What's the best way to remove wax?
>
>Thanks!

Yes - did it last around August or so.. still beading water nicely and still washes clean with about no effort. Good stuff.

Dishwashing detergent will remove wax.. which is why you should only use it if you want to do that.

blee
04-09-2004, 09:36 AM

Eric asks:

>
>November or something.
>
>
>Thanks!

Yes - did it last around August or so.. still beading water nicely and still washes clean with about no effort. Good stuff.

Dishwashing detergent will remove wax.. which is why you should only use it if you want to do that.Sounds good. My Zainoed cars can easily go a good 6-8 months with water beading off of the surface, but if the stories of dirt just hosing off the car are true, they've got me beat. I'm still a Zainoholic, FWIW.

clyde
04-09-2004, 09:46 AM

Eric asks:

>
>November or something.
>
>
>Thanks!

Dishwashing detergent will remove wax.. which is why you should only use it if you want to do that.Sounds good. My Zainoed cars can easily go a good 6-8 months with water beading off of the surface, but if the stories of dirt just hosing off the car are true, they've got me beat. I'm still a Zainoholic, FWIW.If you recall, you said that you thought the water was beading just fine on my wagon at that very rainy autox at Six Flags in November 2002. The car was 11 months old at the time, and the only wax that was on it was what Tischer put on before I had taken delivery. Water was still beading just as well in September of 2003, but there was a rapid fall off entering the winter.

What's pretty cool is that since I put Rejex on both cars last week, there have been two periods of rain and both cars have been covered with tree crap yet they still have a very shiney wet look. It's not until you get real close that you notice any dirt at all (aside from the white cherry blossom petals on the wagon).

It was a lot of fun watching the water slide around on the hood this morning. :D

We'll see how it goes.

Nick M3
04-09-2004, 10:05 AM
The difference between Zaino and Rejex is that Rejex is so easy that even TD might use it. :twisted:

(Not that I really expect him to compromise his principles and wax his car. ;) ...but I'd supply the Rejex if he decided to.)

lemming
04-12-2004, 01:20 PM
The difference between Zaino and Rejex is that Rejex is so easy that even TD might use it. :twisted:

(Not that I really expect him to compromise his principles and wax his car. ;) ...but I'd supply the Rejex if he decided to.)

TD doesn't wax his cars?

are you serious?

Nick M3
04-12-2004, 03:12 PM
That's an affirmative.

Masskrug
04-12-2004, 03:49 PM
Is it that much easier to apply than Z?

Bug splat from a 700 mile round trip on a recently Z
'ed car came off pretty damn easily.

Nick M3
04-12-2004, 04:08 PM
Is it that much easier to apply than Z?

Bug splat from a 700 mile round trip on a recently Z
'ed car came off pretty damn easily.

One step. I don't know how easy it is to apply Z, but three to five coats of anything is definitely a lot hard than one coat of rejex. :p At some point I intend to try my hand at layering, but that's not for a little while.