PDA

View Full Version : I think I need a new LR4 bearing. Do LCA replacements "while I'm in there"?

FC
05-11-2023, 09:35 PM
A few incidents lead me to believe it needs at least one new bearing.

It's probably due for a full front brake job soon so I had dismissed some mild vibration under braking on the brakes.

Not sure if this is related but recently, when I had just swapped out the winter wheels for the AT wheels and tires, I experienced what felt like something hard hitting the wheel well (there was nothing on the highway). A heavy vibration ensued and I immediately pulled over. Upon inspection I found nothing and figured I would see if I could slowly limp the remaining mile to work. It drove perfectly to work and all the way back home. I only drive the LR4 to work when I bring Heidi (who is big and unhappy in the GTI).

Today, I drove it 20+ miles to work again with no problems. When arriving and maneuvering to reverse into a spot, I hears a squeal/shriek when I turned left. On the way home, I merge into the highway and the wheel wobbled a lot at over 65mph. I quickly got stuck in slow traffic for the remainder of the drive, but on a couple of instances when I got to drive a bit faster, there seem to be no wobble of the steering wheel.

I will put it up on my lift soon enough, but it seems like I have a (very?) bad bearing(s).

Questions:

1) LR4 only has low 50k miles. Should I just do both? I already need to do a full front brake job.

2) While I'm in there, should I just go for it and tackle the LCA's? These tend go in the 60-80 mile range.

Bearing Replacement Job Video (https://youtu.be/Hfg6dP2wLoo)

LCA Replacement Job (https://youtu.be/POr4mwSveIY)

Terri Kennedy
05-14-2023, 08:39 PM
1) LR4 only has low 50k miles. Should I just do both? I already need to do a full front brake job.

2) While I'm in there, should I just go for it and tackle the LCA's? These tend go in the 60-80 mile range.

No opinion on the problem, but given the necessary disassembly for the needed job, it sounds like a no-brainer to me: 1) You may need it within 10K miles, 2) At the point this becomes a "must-do", it maybe too hot or too cold to do it conveniently.

FC
05-15-2023, 08:28 AM
No opinion on the problem, but given the necessary disassembly for the needed job, it sounds like a no-brainer to me: 1) You may need it within 10K miles, 2) At the point this becomes a "must-do", it maybe too hot or too cold to do it conveniently.

Right. Also, talking to folks on LR forums, some think the noise may just be the LCAs and not bearings.

Nick M3
05-15-2023, 09:24 AM
Generally speaking, I try to replace anything that I'm touching when I go in for a job. Unless I know for a fact that it's good, parts are usually cheap.

FC
05-15-2023, 10:27 AM
Generally speaking, I try to replace anything that I'm touching when I go in for a job. Unless I know for a fact that it's good, parts are usually cheap.

I'm definitely doing the LCAs. And frankly, they are not that expensive at ~$170 per side. Bearings, OTOH are $300 per side. If I sense anything off, I'll change them too, but if they seem perfectly normal I am not sure about those. Theoretically, they should be good for at least 100k miles, which for me would be another 10 years and another set of LCAs.

Nick M3
05-15-2023, 10:47 AM
I'm definitely doing the LCAs. And frankly, they are not that expensive at ~$170 per side. Bearings, OTOH are $300 per side. If I sense anything off, I'll change them too, but if they seem perfectly normal I am not sure about those. Theoretically, they should be good for at least 100k miles, which for me would be another 10 years and another set of LCAs.

Only $93 for "Timken" on AliExpress! ;)

FC
05-15-2023, 11:35 AM
Only $93 for "Timken" on AliExpress! ;)

I do believe Timken is OEM, actually.

https://www.roverparts.com/driveline-axles/hubs-bearings/LR014147/

https://cad.timken.com/item/engineered-bearings/automotive-aftermarket-hub-assemblies/ha500601

Rock Auto has it for under $200

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/timken,HA500601,wheel+bearing+&+hub,1636

Nick M3
05-15-2023, 11:38 AM
I do believe Timken is OEM, actually.

Timken may be OE, but I’d bet that “Timken” is not.

FC
05-15-2023, 12:45 PM
Timken may be OE, but I’d bet that “Timken” is not.

Right.:lol:

dan
05-15-2023, 12:58 PM
surprised they didn't call it Tinkem

FC
11-12-2023, 06:24 PM
Took a while to finally get to it, but this weekend I tackled the LCAs, hubs, and front discs and pads. In all, 10-12 hours, of which a solid 4 were spend cutting off 8 sections of bushings and bolts that were rusted solid. Rusty suspension work sucks.

The good news is that it all looks and drives great. Nothing broke, no lights or warnings, no sounds or vibrations. It drives great. I will call first thing tomorrow to get an appointment for an alignment at the dealership anyway, of course.

I have to say that it was great to have a lift for this job, especially with all the hours of sawzall work.

Feeling pretty proud right now.