PDA

View Full Version : Gtechniq C4 - Permanent Trim Restorer

SCA
04-16-2022, 11:11 AM
I recently applied this to the faded plastic door sill (kick plate) on the 997. I like what I am seeing... The cure time is 12 hours before it can get wet. The box states that durability is up to two years for all exterior trim. “Restores trim to ‘as new condition’” Pic 1 is after it was applied. Pic 2 is after 19 hours of curing.

I have new ‘Carrera’ stainless steel doors sills, but the removal of the factory units are a pain in ass as the double sided taped used to hold them in place makes for a challenge to remove and then residue clean up is also tiresome. Far more than I am willing to deal with, especially given that my left shoulder and upper arm are still in significant pain from my horrific fall at the end of January.

Alan
04-16-2022, 11:27 AM
It looks really good by any chance do you have a before picture ?

SCA
04-16-2022, 11:41 AM
It looks really good by any chance do you have a before picture ?

Sorry, I do not… The driver’s side was more oxidized and was also splotchy in one area, almost like a harsh chemical was used on it at some point.

FYI, this product is clear so no dyes are used. Generally I am not overly impressed with Gtechniq coatings as I had the E39 professionally paint corrected with Gtechniq Ultra ceramic coating applied afterwards. Total snake oil with a BS nine year warranty. Edit: This product maybe the exception. Time will tell…

FC
04-16-2022, 12:27 PM
That looks great. I've had good temporary success with Mother's Back to Black, but this seems better for sure.

Nick M3
04-16-2022, 04:27 PM
I’ve had great results with Solutions Finish. Will be curious to see how these hold up.

SCA
04-16-2022, 04:45 PM
Product pics.

I used CarPro Inside diluted 1:1 to thoroughly clean prior to application. Which even though it appeared clean it was not, plenty of old containments were removed. Afterwards I removed any remaining ‘Inside’ residue with a damp microfiber. BTW, ‘Inside’ at full strength will clean nearly anything, but caution must be used as it can be too much in some cases.

Edit: I am debating adding a second coat to the outer door sills. What could it hurt? Nowhere within the instructions does it frown upon doing such.

SCA
04-16-2022, 10:31 PM
I found this review with pics as well as a comparison to Solutions Finish and Mothers Back to Black. Gtechniq Long Term Review Part 2: C4 Permanent Trim Restorer: https://canadiangearhead.com/gtechniq-long-term-review-part-2/

JST
04-16-2022, 10:41 PM
Am I weird? I just use straight peanut oil.

SCA
04-16-2022, 10:50 PM

I recall that was once used to remove polish/wax from black trim. It might still be?

Nick M3
04-17-2022, 06:18 AM

Plastic dye works a lot better than oil.

Also, Solutions Finish is about the same effort or less to apply as peanut oil.

SCA
04-17-2022, 08:48 AM
Also, Solutions Finish is about the same effort or less to apply as peanut oil.

C4 was über easy to apply. Lay it down and walk away. 5 mins max to do what I did above. I am planning to apply it to the faded Z3 windshield cowl once it comes out of hibernation. I was going to purchase a new cowl many years ago and I should have as they have gone up significantly over the years so it will never happen. Currently @ $216 [$250 list] vs $75-80 around 6-7 years ago.

dan
06-16-2022, 12:32 PM
I'm thinking I will use the C4 on my engine cover and other under-the-hood plastics