PDA

View Full Version : Rental car question

3LOU5
12-30-2018, 10:46 AM
If you rented a car from AVIS or any major car rental company, and you received a speeding ticket from the State Highway Patrol, does that copy of the speeding ticket/moving violation go the the rental company as well, and if it does, does it affect the way you do business with them in the future (i.e. higher rental rates, denial of car usage, etc.).

Thanks in advance.

3LOU5
12-30-2018, 10:48 AM
BTW, I was cited for going over 5 mph over the legal speed limit.

Long story, but I got lucky with just a fine and no points.

clyde
12-30-2018, 11:56 AM
Never heard of such a thing and can only imagine it would matter to the extent the moving violation changes the status of your license to drive (valid, suspended, or revoked).

lip277
12-30-2018, 12:19 PM
No - there is nothing with the rental car agency that is affected with your getting (or not getting) a ticket. They don't even know it happened.

Photo radar is a different thing - although all they do is pass it through to you.

3LOU5
12-30-2018, 12:30 PM
Never heard of such a thing and can only imagine it would matter to the extent the moving violation changes the status of your license to drive (valid, suspended, or revoked).

Thanks clyde, good to know.

Still surprised he downgraded me, because it could've been A LOT worse. I think he saw I had a "Veteran" designation on my driver's license and also that he was a nice guy who still had the Christmas spirit, lol.

3LOU5
12-30-2018, 12:39 PM
No - there is nothing with the rental car agency that is affected with your getting (or not getting) a ticket. They don't even know it happened.

Photo radar is a different thing - although all they do is pass it through to you.

He don't *think* he got me with photo radar. According to the ticket, it was "FMR CALIBRATED VIS EST 1000FT GOOD DOPPLER TONE CONFIRMED".

I didn't even see him AT ALL. I believe he was hiding in a hill, and when my cruise control couldn't hold my set speed going downhill, that's when he pegged me.

Those Dodge Charger with Police Package sure does haul ass though, because one minute I didn't see ANY car in my rearview mirror and the next minute, I see those dreaded flashing lights right on my tail.

Alan
12-30-2018, 12:44 PM
Lou ... what are the details. ... if the guy pulled you over for 5mph over the limit that is just nuts we all do at least that ... if you were going faster and this is what the cop wrote you up for then you caught a break.

As far as the rental car company like it was said above they’ll never know you got a ticket unless it was a photo ticket so don’t sweat it.

I’m sorry to hear you got pulled over ...

3LOU5
12-30-2018, 12:59 PM
Lou ... what are the details. ... if the guy pulled you over for 5mph over the limit that is just nuts we all do at least that ... if you were going faster and this is what the cop wrote you up for them you caught a break.

As far as the rental car company like it was said above they’ll never know you got a ticket unless it was a photo ticket so don’t sweat it.

I’m sorry to hear you got pulled over ...

AF, most lone desert highways in NV have a 70 mph speed limit. I had my cruise set at 78 mph. I believe that the slight downhill couldn't hold my set speed, and it pushed my rental Altima (which, btw, is a pretty good rental car imho) to 81 mph.

He clocked me at 81 (of course). But when he handed me back my documents, he told me that he downgraded my violation to 5 over the speed limit and NO points. Like I said, I believe that being a veteran and being polite to him (turned my engine off, put both my hands on top of the steering wheel, saying "Yes, sir" "No, sir" helped out a great deal). I have a CCW permit (LEOs have access to that info) and I wanted him to feel comfortable with stopping me.

The funny thing was, long straights as far as the eye can see are common in NV, and you can safely test to see the top speed of ANY production car.

And I was *JUST* about to do that with the Altima. Luckily, I held the "need for speed" because I could've been cited for reckless driving and ultimately losing my driving privileges.

ff
12-30-2018, 01:34 PM
Still surprised he downgraded me.

Being respectful and non-argumentative helps. But (my opinion) I think they may knock the ticket down to 5MPH-over in minor cases when they want to eliminate the chances of you appearing in court to contest it. At the end of the day, they just want your ~$250 donation to the local jurisdiction.

3LOU5
12-30-2018, 02:16 PM
Being respectful and non-argumentative helps. But (my opinion) I think they may knock the ticket down to 5MPH-over in minor cases when they want to eliminate the chances of you appearing in court to contest it. At the end of the day, they just want your ~$250 donation to the local jurisdiction.

More like $75.

:D

equ
12-30-2018, 06:40 PM
Sounds like a nothing-burger ticket.. Really 11 over in vast NV? That said, if it's just fine, I'd pay and forget.

I doubt rental companies check of your record goes beyond the binary "does the renter have a valid license" question.

3LOU5
12-30-2018, 08:55 PM
Sounds like a nothing-burger ticket.. Really 11 over in vast NV? That said, if it's just fine, I'd pay and forget.

I doubt rental companies check of your record goes beyond the binary "does the renter have a valid license" question.

Some of those long straights, you can hit safely hit triple digit speeds for miles on end.

But I’m ok paying a relatively cheap fine. I was just worried if it was going to affect renting cars in the future.

3LOU5
12-30-2018, 09:02 PM
Here is one of NV’s famous racing event:

“The Silver State Classic Challenge is an authorized Open Road Racing event that is run since 1988 on a 90 mi (140 km) stretch of State Route 318 in Nevada, United States, which is closed for the occasion.

It is called the fastest road race in the world by Guinness,[1] It was the venue for the highest speed achieved on a public highway, when Charles "Chuck" Shafer and Gary Bockman averaged 207.7801 mph (334.3897 km/h) in May 2000,[2] in a Chrysler LeBaron ARCA race car. Although high-speed race cars receive much of the publicity, the majority of participants take part in mainstream street cars at average speeds ranging from 95 to 150 mph (153 to 241 km/h). These cars run the gamut from sports cars such as Corvettes and Mustangs to sedans such as Nissan Skylines, Mercedes wagons, and even Saturns.”

Perhaps one of you carmudgeons can come here and give it a go.

;). ;)

kognito
12-31-2018, 09:20 AM
I think this has already been stated, but you got the ticket . . . not the car

rumatt
12-31-2018, 09:29 AM
I got a parking ticket in a rental once. I paid the parking ticket. Then I got a bill from the rental company saying they also paid the ticket and that in the rental agreement I promised to reimburse them for all tickets. I double paid and left it because it was easier than figuring out how to get one of us reimbursed.

It's not the same as a speeding ticket though.

Oh and despite no points, your insurance may increase. The last time I had a speed violation reduced to some silly non-point variant, my rate went up anyway because it was a "surchargable offense"

3LOU5
01-01-2019, 02:51 PM
I got a parking ticket in a rental once. I paid the parking ticket. Then I got a bill from the rental company saying they also paid the ticket and that in the rental agreement I promised to reimburse them for all tickets. I double paid and left it because it was easier than figuring out how to get one of us reimbursed.

It's not the same as a speeding ticket though.

Oh and despite no points, your insurance may increase. The last time I had a speed violation reduced to some silly non-point variant, my rate went up anyway because it was a "surchargable offense"

Hoping not.

I've had plenty of warnings (because I was wearing scrubs and my hospital ID) but they were from the local police and sheriff departments.