PDA

View Full Version : MCS/P-car waffling

FC
04-28-2008, 10:26 AM
First, questions for Fil (or anyone else):

-I assume there are still no news on ED for Mini's, right? Man, that sucks. ED on an MCS would be just PERFECT. There is no way to do a ghetto ED either, right? Like an under-the-table ED. I suggested to MINI to offer ED through BMW's Munich center. They didn't say much in response.

-16" wheels come only with RFT's, right? If I go 17" can I get summers from the factory? If so, are they any good?

Ok, now just general waffling talk.

On the MCS/ZHP front:

I've grown more comfortable with the thought of replacing the ZHP with an MCS. A big contingency is that we like the MCS A LOT, but psychologically, I'm growing more OK with the idea (though I'm sure I'd miss it for sure, especially since we'd no longer have a sedan). This could happen as early as this Fall since I could take $$$ from the ZHP sale and use it for our remodeling (which is growing in scope thanks to a "rip the band-aid and do it all (indoors) at once"). The remodeling won't be a pretty bill, but hopefully the house will.

On the sportscar front:

After much waffling and drooling over a potential early 997S, I think one of my earlier plans still works. The 997S is too much money just now, and a 996 is too much money for an older car that is going to look/feel very outdated soon without the upside of the "classic" look. 996TT is bad for both reasons. Also, the utility of the 911 won't be fully realized just yet. Finally, a 911 (997 or 996) makes too much of a statement to family, friends, and co-workers.

So, I'm back to a 987S. A 986S (or even S2K) is not out of the question, but dammit, I want to treat myself after all this waiting, so I'm going to assume a 987S.

If I go 987S, the smart thing to do is to wait until after Xmas and through the winter time. Rumor is the new 987S is out this Fall/next spring, so waiting until spring time may not be a bad move either. I could:

-Go nuts and buy a new one through ED. This is silly because we're talking ~$60K, I may not keep this car very long, and I wouldn't drive it that much. But the thought of driving my "latest-and greatest" custom-built Porsche in Europe is very tempting. Not likely though.

-Find a good deal on a '07, 3.4L 987S. Seeming more likely.

-Look for an '05 3.2L 987S.

The (very nebulous) thought is to replace this car after 3-5 years with a used (by then '09+) 997S.

Plaz
04-28-2008, 10:30 AM
I don't think you can get non-RFTs from the factory on any BMW product now... it's either RFT all-seasons, or RFT summers.

I chose the former.

JST
04-28-2008, 10:30 AM
First, questions for Fil (or anyone else):

-I assume there are still no news on ED for Mini's, right? Man, that sucks. ED on an MCS would be just PERFECT. There is no way to do a ghetto ED either, right? Like an under-the-table ED. I suggested to MINI to offer ED through BMW's Munich center. They didn't say much in response.

-16" wheels come only with RFT's, right? If I go 17" can I get summers from the factory? If so, are they any good?

Ok, now just general waffling talk.

On the MCS/ZHP front:

I've grown more comfortable with the thought of replacing the ZHP with an MCS. A big contingency is that we like the MCS A LOT, but psychologically, I'm growing more OK with the idea (though I'm sure I'd miss it for sure, especially since we'd no longer have a sedan). This could happen as early as this Fall since I could take $$$ from the ZHP sale and use it for our remodeling (which is growing in scope thanks to a "rip the band-aid and do it all (indoors) at once"). The remodeling won't be a pretty bill, but hopefully the house will.

On the sportscar front:

After much waffling and drooling over a potential early 997S, I think one of my earlier plans still works. The 997S is too much money just now, and a 996 is too much money for an older car that is going to look/feel very outdated soon without the upside of the "classic" look. 996TT is bad for both reasons. Also, the utility of the 911 won't be fully realized just yet. Finally, a 911 (997 or 996) makes too much of a statement to family, friends, and co-workers.

So, I'm back to a 987S. A 986S (or even S2K) is not out of the question, but dammit, I want to treat myself after all this waiting, so I'm going to assume a 987S.

If I go 987S, the smart thing to do is to wait until after Xmas and through the winter time. Rumor is the new 987S is out this Fall/next spring, so waiting until spring time may not be a bad move either. I could:

-Go nuts and buy a new one through ED. This is silly because we're talking ~$60K, I may not keep this car very long, and I wouldn't drive it that much. But the thought of driving my "latest-and greatest" custom-built Porsche in Europe is very tempting. Not likely though.

-Find a good deal on a '07, 3.4L 987S. Seeming more likely.

-Look for an '05 3.2L 987S.

The (very nebulous) thought is to replace this car after 3-5 years with a used (by then '09+) 997S.

The '05s are getting (relatively) cheap.

Sharp11
04-28-2008, 10:34 AM
Minis are built in England (i think), so ED would be a trip there.

Ed

FC
04-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Minis are built in England (i think), so ED would be a trip there.

Ed

I WANT to go to England. I've been to Germany twice (once for 2 months for a college project in '00). But teh UK I guess is being a PITA wrt ED. :dunno:

FC
04-28-2008, 10:47 AM
I don't think you can get non-RFTs from the factory on any BMW product now... it's either RFT all-seasons, or RFT summers.

I chose the former.

Ugh. If those are my options, I guess I'd use the A/S RFT's on factory 16" wheels as "winter tires" (until they wear a bunch, then replace with 16" winters), and buy a nice set of 17" wheels with summer tires.

ff
04-28-2008, 10:54 AM
Ugh. If those are my options, I guess I'd use the A/S RFT's on factory 16" wheels as "winter tires" (until they wear a bunch, then replace with 16" winters), and buy a nice set of 17" wheels with summer tires.

That's what I would do. I think that makes the most sense. The only thing is that using the stock A/S's as winter tires... they will probably last you 6 or 7 years before wearing out. And by that time, you'll be thinking about the next car to buy anyhow.

FC
04-28-2008, 10:58 AM
That's what I would do. I think that makes the most sense. The only thing is that using the stock A/S's as winter tires... they will probably last you 6 or 7 years before wearing out. And by that time, you'll be thinking about the next car to buy anyhow.

That blows. What's the market on used RFT's like? There must be a bunch of people out there looking for RFT's for lease turn-ins, flats, etc, no?

Plaz
04-28-2008, 10:59 AM

Precisely what I did.

ff
04-28-2008, 11:02 AM
What's the market on used RFT's like?

I have a feeling that there might be a lot of people in that situation. Whether they'd be willing to pay anything for them is another question, though. If you sold them right away (i.e. under 100 miles), you're chances should be much better.

JST
04-28-2008, 11:10 AM
I have a feeling that there might be a lot of people in that situation. Whether they'd be willing to pay anything for them is another question, though. If you sold them right away (i.e. under 100 miles), you're chances should be much better.

They aren't really that expensive new. Tire Rack has them for $120. You'd probably be lucky to get $50/tire for them. Not worth it, IMHO; the car is fine in the snow with the all season RFTs, and unlike the 18" RFTs on the BMW I haven't had any bubble trouble yet.

lemming
05-14-2008, 10:08 AM
F:

the car is almost broken -in. you'll be the next person after me to see what it's like at WOT.

:D

others who have driven the BRG non JCW I car have noted the difference between that one and the JCW I fitted car.

i think it's more down to the linearity of the throttle mapping.

FC
05-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Cool!

Sharp11
05-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Cool!

Just to add to your confusion FC, you should try a CaymanS - I drove equ's last weekend and really enjoyed it - granted it was slow speed stuff, but even then you could feel the perfection of the steering rack and all four tires through your bum.

I also liked the view over the hood.....:)

Ed

FC
05-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Well, the view over the hood is the same as in a Boxster. But I've not totally crossed off the Cayman - particularly while I still keep the dream alive to have Wrangler as a 4th car. That would be the convertible.

Naturally, I then think that if I'm going with a hardtop, why not go 997? And on and on the waffling cycle goes...