PDA

View Full Version : Cayman oil analysis

equ
04-03-2008, 10:05 PM
All is well. Engine still breaking in as I suspected. :)

First oil change at 4650 miles, this is the second oil change at 11650 miles (hardly any hard driving and lots of highway). Porsche recommends 2yr/20000 miles, though they are reducing I think. What's funny is that my German, old school, mechanic dragged on a ciggy, looked at the black oil coming out and admonished me for going longer than 5000 miles. I thought I could get away with it with the easy driving and the 8 quart capacity. I guess he was right.

Don't be too alarmed by all the highlighted numbers. High wear and silicon are common finds in new engines, such as your 3.4L. The excess wear metals are from new parts breaking-in, while silicon is from sand-casted parts and sealers used when assembling your engine. Both should improve with subsequent oil changes. Universal averages are based on an oil run of ~4,600 miles. We suggest running the next oil just 5,000 miles. Shorter oil runs will speed your engine through the break-in process. The TBN read 5.4 so you had plenty of active additive remaining.

equ
04-03-2008, 10:09 PM
BTW, people, there's a lot of interest on some "easy" mods coming for the 3.4L. With plenum, throttle body & software, 30hp and torque throughout the band seems to be on its way. :)

I kinda suspected this all along. The 1999 3.4L carrera engine was the same 295hp & similar torque, and there's been a lot of advancement since then (vario this & that). Why doesn't this 3.4L do better? Apparently, it will soon, just with bolting on the breathing bits of the 3.8 engine. Cool.

rumatt
04-03-2008, 10:18 PM
I really appreciate you taking good care of my car like this. Thanks bro.

equ
04-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Anytime, it's just that this financial crisis has to get quite a bit worse before I sell ;). I'm even vetting the mods, I'll wait for a hundred people to put the plenum on before I try.

It's nice to see that other than break-in bits (which are still below limits), the oil itself is holding up very well.

rumatt
04-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Anytime, it's just that this financial crisis has to get quite a bit worse before I sell ;)

No problem. I need it to go down a tad on the depreciation curve anyway.

BTW, I wouldn't mind if you installed an LSD. Any other mods are iffy though. ;)

Sharp11
04-03-2008, 11:36 PM
I really appreciate you taking good care of my car like this. Thanks bro.

:lol:

Unfortunately, he seems to really like this one...:eeps:

I get the feeling there'll be a nice alpine white 330xi for sale sooner than later, however.

Ed

equ
04-04-2008, 08:32 AM
<With foreign accent> Special price, my friend, beautiful 330xi, white, new paintwork too. :ack:

Plaz
04-04-2008, 08:58 AM
:lol:

Rob
04-04-2008, 01:33 PM
equ, from what I understand about reading the boards, you aren't supposed to actually get oil analyses done. You are supposed to form your opinion about oil change intervals based on no information at all and decide your opinion is one of the laws of physics. Sheesh.

(I changed my at 1945 and the sample hasn't been sent in yet, but will go in tomorrow - I will do it again at 7500 to see how 5k does)