PDA

View Full Version : Which SUV

Sharp11
03-27-2008, 10:50 AM
We're down to two right at the moment, my wife really likes the Lexus RX350 AND the X3 - I'm trying to gently nudge her toward the BMW, but it's really her choice, and the Lexus ain't so bad.

Here's the thing, if we went with the Lexus, I'd want the performance package option - it's basically the premium package plus whatever suspension and tire bits Lexus deems "sporty" - this includes a height-adjustable suspension, which apparently helps the car overcome some of its tippiness and numbness.

We could buy a used RX400h (that's the hybrid version) which comes standard with the performance package for the same price as a new RX350 with the PP (it's next to impossible to find used 350's with the PP option) and get close to, or beyond 30 MPG around town.

We're going to go look at and drive the hybrid model next week, Lexus of Westport has an 07 with 20k on it.

The steering in the X3's a bit heavy (for my wife), but there is an option BMW refers to as "servotronic" - which is speed sensitive power steering. Again, finding this used is very difficult (only 10 percent of X3's have this option) so we might have to go new on this.

Both the X3 and the Lexus, would run us around 40k new and the hybrid Lexus the same (or a bit less).

Stay tuned......

Ed

Sharp11
03-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Btw,

I borrowed my father in-law's Infiniti M35x to drive my wife to NYC for her back appointment (we needed the comfy seats) - she really liked it!!!

So a sedan or wagon, such as the 528ix isn't out of the question.

The M35's a nice drive, but its suspension on NYC roads isn't as well sorted as you'd expect and it has an annoyingly numb on-center feel, I had to constantly correct at the wheel (could be it needs an alignment).

But by far and away, it's the gas mileage that really stinks with this car - we averaged 16 :eek:

The seats are awesome and it's an easy car to get in and out of.

Ed

equ
03-27-2008, 11:22 AM
If you even considered the infiniti, drive the a5 - just for kicks. It's really comfortable (you know about my back/leg pain) and handles very well. Light steering too... For suv's, you probably can't go too wrong with bmw, lexus, acura. Not a huge lex/toy fan, but my realtor took me around in her rx350. It was quite comfy, but I don't think it handled bumps so well. Over our urban cratered roads, it took of the ripples but made me a bit sick on the big stuff. Ymmv.

nate
03-27-2008, 11:27 AM
Get the Lexus.

They are very reliable. Nicer and more comfortable than the BMW.

There regular suspension is just fine. Most people that buy Lexus SUVs do so for comfort, so I just don't understand the point of a "sport" suspension option. I doubt it is very sporty anyway. I've only driven the '07 FWD RX350. It is perfectly fine car. Your wife will probably like it.

ff
03-27-2008, 11:36 AM
As much as I'd like to suggest the X3, and only because it's the car I'd choose, I think that the Lexus is going to be a better all-around vehicle to own for the typical car buyer and for the money.

JST
03-27-2008, 12:12 PM
We're down to two right at the moment, my wife really likes the Lexus RX350 AND the X3 - I'm trying to gently nudge her toward the BMW, but it's really her choice, and the Lexus ain't so bad.

Here's the thing, if we went with the Lexus, I'd want the performance package option - it's basically the premium package plus whatever suspension and tire bits Lexus deems "sporty" - this includes a height-adjustable suspension, which apparently helps the car overcome some of its tippiness and numbness.

We could buy a used RX400h (that's the hybrid version) which comes standard with the performance package for the same price as a new RX350 with the PP (it's next to impossible to find used 350's with the PP option) and get close to, or beyond 30 MPG around town.

We're going to go look at and drive the hybrid model next week, Lexus of Westport has an 07 with 20k on it.

The steering in the X3's a bit heavy (for my wife), but there is an option BMW refers to as "servotronic" - which is speed sensitive power steering. Again, finding this used is very difficult (only 10 percent of X3's have this option) so we might have to go new on this.

Both the X3 and the Lexus, would run us around 40k new and the hybrid Lexus the same (or a bit less).

Stay tuned......

Ed

I hate Toyotas, and Lexuses bore the piss out of me. The RX350 is the height of automotive somnambulance, and I wouldn't buy one under any set of circumstances that I can imagine.

That said, it's an almost unassailably nice car for people who don't give two shits about driving, which is almost everyone. I'd have a very hard time recommending an X3 over the Lexus for 9 out of 10 people that ask me what car to buy.

lemming
03-28-2008, 09:19 AM
I hate Toyotas, and Lexuses bore the piss out of me. The RX350 is the height of automotive somnambulance, and I wouldn't buy one under any set of circumstances that I can imagine.

That said, it's an almost unassailably nice car for people who don't give two shits about driving, which is almost everyone. I'd have a very hard time recommending an X3 over the Lexus for 9 out of 10 people that ask me what car to buy.

yeah....i feel the same way. but people with the RX400h are seeing real 26mpg in the city. it's a despicable sort of vehicle that represents everything that grinds on me during the course of a commute....but if it is comfortable, which is the stated purpose of this mission, i'd say get that one.

it will have a lot more midrange power over the x3 and ultimately, likely have both a better dealership experience as well as long term reliability.

FC
03-28-2008, 10:01 AM

:+1

clyde
03-28-2008, 10:19 AM
My parents have had an RX350 for about six months. They love it. I'm sure they would have been very unhappy had they gotten an X3 (or even an X5) instead.

bren
03-28-2008, 10:59 AM
My parents have had an X3 for about 4 months. They love it. I'm sure they would have been just as happy had they gotten an RX instead. ;)

Although, after driving the X3 my father had no interest in checking out anything else since it is basically identical to his 3 series (which he loves) but with a slightly higher seating position.

Sharp11
03-28-2008, 11:37 AM
My parents have had an X3 for about 4 months. They love it. I'm sure they would have been just as happy had they gotten an RX instead. ;)

Although, after driving the X3 my father had no interest in checking out anything else since it is basically identical to his 3 series (which he loves) but with a slightly higher seating position.

That's essentially how I felt, it reminded me of my old 323i except, well, higher.

I liked its size, it was easy to get in and out of and although it's no track vehicle, it returned a fair bit of driving pleasure.

The RX was the perfect automotive appliance, it was comfortable, quiet, the right size - it accelerated smoothly and quickly - it just wasn't fun in any way.

At any rate, I'm ok either way, it's really my wife's decision, I've got my own car(s) to trade in and out of :)

Ed

clyde
03-28-2008, 11:45 AM
I just remembered. My sister in law's in laws just ended a lease on an X3 and replaced with with an Altima SE. The X3 replaced a New Beetle, and they liked the X3 a little more than the Beetle. They like the Altima a lot more than the X3.

Sharp11
03-28-2008, 12:13 PM
I just remembered. My sister in law's in laws just ended a lease on an X3 and replaced with with an Altima SE. The X3 replaced a New Beetle, and they liked the X3 a little more than the Beetle. They like the Altima a lot more than the X3.

I did take a quick look at the new Murano, which is built on the new Altima platform (by all accounts, a pretty decent chassis) - it struck me as a bit too tall for our purposes (even I had to climb up and in).

However, once inside there's a lot of Infiniti in there. Could give the corporation's own EX35 a run for the money - too bad about that grille though, it's an almost pretty car, then they go and slap that pinched up nose on it.

Ed

Aerials
03-28-2008, 12:35 PM
I'd pass on the Lexus.

I know they are not SUV's, but comparing my cousins 04Lexus ES330 to my 01 325iT makes me choose a BMW any day over a Lexus. Granted, the Lexus is very comfortable, but it feels to me as if I'm driving a wine glass. It's boring, plain and simple. Steering is much to loose on it and for being a Toyota, it has pretty disappointing gas mileage.

The BMW feels so much more well built, and it doesn't have the loose steering wheel feeling to it. It may not be as comfortable as the Lexus, but I'd choose it over any day over the Lexus.

How long do you plan on keeping it?

I can imagine those batteries the hybrids use will eventually go bad and need expensive replacing. I would only lease a Hybrid, I would never own one. All in all, if the Lexus is what makes her happy, then so be it. Good Luck!!