PDA

View Full Version : Man, that 1 vert is hot!!

Sharp11
03-17-2008, 12:53 PM
I was just looking at some more pics - I love the roofline of the soft-top and that denim finish is hot!!

If it's a bit lighter and stiffer than an e46 vert, a 128 vert with the six speed and SP for just under 40 is a decent deal.....

Damn, a test drive may be in the works.

Ed

wdc330i
03-17-2008, 08:33 PM
I was just looking at some more pics - I love the roofline of the soft-top and that denim finish is hot!!

If it's a bit lighter and stiffer than an e46 vert, a 128 vert with the six speed and SP for just under 40 is a decent deal.....

Ed

I had my e46 in for service today and low and behold, there was a 128 convertible on the lot. We are in the market for a replacement for my car--at some point--and are all over the map about what next. So the SA let me drive it. It was slushie with sport. But it was good fun. Somewhere in handling between our old Z3 and my e46. I also drove an e92--before the 1--and it is so composed as to be a little boring. The 1 was refreshing after that ride. And stick form would be even better.

All that said, I don't know if I'd want to live with one (1?) as a daily driver. But I could see it if I were younger and had no kids. The cockpit feels very 3 series-like. The back seat is actually doable for adults for short rides--decent leg room, but shoulder room is awkward because of the rake of the side panels. And access is tough.

I imagine the 135i iteration is even more fun. And no doubt the coupe form is the best for performance. But I do think the whole series is somewhat goofy looking

I also drove an e60 530i sport this weekend. It's a dealer demo. Very roomy and comfortable like our 530xiT wagon. Much more fun to drive, but less fun still than my 330i.

The last test drive was an X5 with sport. Amazing handling for a truck--completely flat in the curves. No tipsy, uncertain feeling at all. The 3.0 engine is haltingly slow offline but okay once she gets moving. The TT will transform this vehicle when it arrives--either in diesel or gas form. But it's still a truck, no matter how refined.

There was also an M3 sedan on the floor. Very sharp looking. Needless to say, I was not offered a test of that one.

Anyway, right now I'm leaning toward some sort of e90. Maybe a 328 sedan or wagon, if we want to buy it and keep it longterm. I'm still a little suspicious of the biturbo for off-warranty ownership.

equ
03-17-2008, 09:27 PM
1er coupe FTW (and I haven't even driven one). One day I may own one.

clyde
03-17-2008, 09:42 PM
If it's a bit lighter and stiffer than an e46 vert, a 128 vert with the six speed and SP for just under 30 would be a decent deal.....

fixed that for you

Sharp11
03-17-2008, 09:46 PM
I had my e46 in for service today and low and behold, there was a 128 convertible on the lot. We are in the market for a replacement for my car--at some point--and are all over the map about what next. So the SA let me drive it. It was slushie with sport. But it was good fun. Somewhere in handling between our old Z3 and my e46. I also drove an e92--before the 1--and it is so composed as to be a little boring. The 1 was refreshing after that ride. And stick form would be even better.

All that said, I don't know if I'd want to live with one (1?) as a daily driver. But I could see it if I were younger and had no kids. The cockpit feels very 3 series-like. The back seat is actually doable for adults for short rides--decent leg room, but shoulder room is awkward because of the rake of the side panels. And access is tough.

I imagine the 135i iteration is even more fun. And no doubt the coupe form is the best for performance. But I do think the whole series is somewhat goofy looking

I also drove an e60 530i sport this weekend. It's a dealer demo. Very roomy and comfortable like our 530xiT wagon. Much more fun to drive, but less fun still than my 330i.

The last test drive was an X5 with sport. Amazing handling for a truck--completely flat in the curves. No tipsy, uncertain feeling at all. The 3.0 engine is haltingly slow offline but okay once she gets moving. The TT will transform this vehicle when it arrives--either in diesel or gas form. But it's still a truck, no matter how refined.

There was also an M3 sedan on the floor. Very sharp looking. Needless to say, I was not offered a test of that one.

Anyway, right now I'm leaning toward some sort of e90. Maybe a 328 sedan or wagon, if we want to buy it and keep it longterm. I'm still a little suspicious of the biturbo for off-warranty ownership.

Excellent write-up, thanks.

I'm scheduled to go to the 1 series ride and drive in Hartford on the 30th - I'll get to drive the new 1 (or, instead of rising early and driving 90 minutes, I can go to the dealer 20 minutes away anytime I'd like).

Ed

wdc330i
03-18-2008, 07:45 AM
Excellent write-up, thanks.

I'm scheduled to go to the 1 series ride and drive in Hartford on the 30th - I'll get to drive the new 1 (or, instead of rising early and driving 90 minutes, I can go to the dealer 20 minutes away anytime I'd like).

Ed

You should definitely drive it. But don't you have the perfect convertible as it is? In my many possibilities, I considered a CPO 2006 imola zhp convertible near DC. Just can't do another e46, even though I love mine. I've had three of them already.

Sharp11
03-18-2008, 11:02 AM
You should definitely drive it. But don't you have the perfect convertible as it is? In my many possibilities, I considered a CPO 2006 imola zhp convertible near DC. Just can't do another e46, even though I love mine. I've had three of them already.

Yes, I'm just imagining ...... :lol:

You know how it is, new model, new bits underneath (I'm on my 3rd E46 chassis), different interior....

However, I had my car out late last night and thoroughly enjoyed snaking up through the hills - everything in sync and sounding wonderful!!

Ed

wdc330i
03-18-2008, 09:07 PM
Yes, I'm just imagining ...... :lol:

You know how it is, new model, new bits underneath (I'm on my 3rd E46 chassis), different interior....

However, I had my car out late last night and thoroughly enjoyed snaking up through the hills - everything in sync and sounding wonderful!!

Ed

Ed, one thing I noticed--and I'd like you to confirm when you test drive the 1 convertible: the seat belt in the 128 caught the crosswinds and got grabby at times when the top was down. Admittedly, I was driving it top-down under extreme conditions--42 degrees and blustery in March, but it was annoying. I don't remember this from our Z3. Does this happen in your ZHP?

Sharp11
03-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Ed, one thing I noticed--and I'd like you to confirm when you test drive the 1 convertible: the seat belt in the 128 caught the crosswinds and got grabby at times when the top was down. Admittedly, I was driving it top-down under extreme conditions--42 degrees and blustery in March, but it was annoying. I don't remember this from our Z3. Does this happen in your ZHP?

I don't think it gets grabby, but one thing it does do, presumably because of the design of incorporating it into the seat, is it gets twisted in the buckle (where it passes through the loop) - I have to be very careful to not let this happen as untwisting it is a major pain in the ass.

Ed

John V
03-18-2008, 09:54 PM

Ed

I couldn't disagree more. I think it's even more awkward looking than the regular 1er. The trunkline is horribly integrated. The taillights look like an afterthought. The rocker-panel cutline is miserable. The headlights are too big - it makes the car look bugeyed. The car already looks topheavy - too much fender, which a weird 2002-esque crease near the cowl. The back end is pinched... ugh. I just think the 1er is a hideous car. Oh well. No accounting for taste and all that.

JST
03-18-2008, 10:29 PM
I couldn't disagree more. I think it's even more awkward looking than the regular 1er. The trunkline is horribly integrated. The taillights look like an afterthought. The rocker-panel cutline is miserable. The headlights are too big - it makes the car look bugeyed. The car already looks topheavy - too much fender, which a weird 2002-esque crease near the cowl. The back end is pinched... ugh. I just think the 1er is a hideous car. Oh well. No accounting for taste and all that.

A friend observed that the 128iC is what all of the sorority chicks from Long Island will be driving to college this year. I couldn't disagree.

Sharp11
03-18-2008, 10:31 PM

It's not a beautiful car, but I like it - enough that I'd buy it, but I probably wouldn't trade my ZHP for it, unless it had a lot more stiffness - then I'd consider it.

I think my ZHP is an attractive car, more so than the 1'er, but I value stiffness over styling.

It's only a wee bit lighter than mine - by 100lbs - so that's not really a factor.

I can overlook styling if the car's right, I'm surprised that so many people can't - I think when people automatically cross certain cars off because they can't get past the styling, they're missing out.

You bought a Boxster - many people, me included - think it's a pretty ugly car. I assume you either liked its looks, or didn't find it objectionable enough to overcome its potential as a track car.

wdc330i
03-18-2008, 10:32 PM
A friend observed that the 128iC is what all of the sorority chicks from Long Island will be driving to college this year. I couldn't disagree.

Looks aside, and I agree it's funky (not in a good way) looking, it is a fun drive. No doubt the sorority girls will forgo the sport suspension.

Sharp11
03-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Looks aside, and I agree it's funky (not in a good way) looking, it is a fun drive. No doubt the sorority girls will forgo the sport suspension.

..... and the manual tranny.....but not the denim roof :eek:

Hey, I've always been in touch with my feminine side :lol:

Ed

Biggins
03-18-2008, 10:49 PM
If only I could get a diesel 5-door 1er into the USA :(

wdc330i
03-19-2008, 07:43 AM
If only I could get a diesel 5-door 1er into the USA :(

With a five door, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

wdc330i
03-19-2008, 01:19 PM
You can see what I mean about the shoulder room in these top-down overhead pix.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270996

Sharp11
03-19-2008, 01:56 PM
You can see what I mean about the shoulder room in these top-down overhead pix.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270996

Do you mean the way the door curves inward toward the rear? I see that.

Nice looking inside, though.

Ed

wdc330i
03-19-2008, 01:59 PM
Do you mean the way the door curves inward toward the rear? I see that.

Nice looking inside, though.

Ed

Yep. That's what makes it a bit uncomfortable to sit in. Kind of jerks one shoulder forward of the other. Definitely just a short hop spot for adults.

John V
03-19-2008, 02:26 PM
The interior looks beautiful. Much better than the current 3,5,6,7 BMW offerings.

FC
03-19-2008, 02:36 PM
The interior looks beautiful. Much better than the current 3,5,6,7 BMW offerings.

:+1

Gives me hope for the next gen 5er.

OT: This my be extended sleep depravation talking but I somehow picked up an E60 accessories brochure and I now think that an E60 wagon with the M-kit would be a downright sharp car from the outside if it weren't for the extra bit of headlights wrapping around the corners. Maybe it was the nice blue paint, or the ZHP wheels on it (?!). But I though it almost, almost looekd great. No such luck with the sedan though, since the trunk is brutal.

equ
03-19-2008, 02:56 PM

It's even better in person. Very tempting to me right now to sell both Cayman & 330xi and go to one car (with all the hassle of two cars that I've been having).

wdc330i
03-19-2008, 05:00 PM
:+1

Gives me hope for the next gen 5er.

OT: This my be extended sleep depravation talking but I somehow picked up an E60 accessories brochure and I now think that an E60 wagon with the M-kit would be a downright sharp car from the outside if it weren't for the extra bit of headlights wrapping around the corners. Maybe it was the nice blue paint, or the ZHP wheels on it (?!). But I though it almost, almost looekd great. No such luck with the sedan though, since the trunk is brutal.

I brought home an e60 sedan from a test drive and looking at it next to our wagon, I couldn't get over how much worse it looks. And I only think the 5 wagon is passable in looks. Our e46 wagon, though, is still the best looking wagon out there.