PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes R Class

Sharp11
03-17-2008, 11:47 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you guys, I test drove one of these (my reports on these types of vehicles having been met with such enthusiasm has me forgetting to post test drives :lol:).

Anyway......

This has got to be, hands down, the most comfortable vehicle I've ever driven or ridden in. Seriously folks, if all you wanted was smooth, executive level transport from here to say, anywhere, from seconds to hours behind the wheel, this is the car for you.

The seats, the ingress/egress, the noise levels, the drive - everything is perfect for a placid, non-ruffled experience - you might even forget you're driving - perhaps making this a very dangerous car, even :dunno:

It was so nice and calming, I even had the fleeting thought of buying one for my wife - till we talked to one of her friends who had one and has already gone through two transmissions, a fuel pump and several rattling and falling-off trim pieces - all this supported by numerous horror stories on the web. In fact, my wife's friend's car was bought back by MB under CT's Lemon Law.

That and the size and fuel mileage penalty has crossed it off the list - the thing is larger than a Honda Odyssey and about as wide as a Boeing.

I apologize for posting this and will continue to let these little drives slip my mind ;)

Ed

Rob
03-17-2008, 12:15 PM
I have consistently said that the people that bash this car haven't ever bothered to sit in one, much less drive one. It might be the answer to a quetion that will never be asked (and thus it's failure), but for what it is, it was exceptionally well done.

And Ed, it's small compared to the suburban my dad ended up getting instead.

Josh (PA)
03-17-2008, 04:45 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you guys, I test drove one of these (my reports on these types of vehicles having been met with such enthusiasm has me forgetting to post test drives :lol:).

Anyway......

This has got to be, hands down, the most comfortable vehicle I've ever driven or ridden in. Seriously folks, if all you wanted was smooth, executive level transport from here to say, anywhere, from seconds to hours behind the wheel, this is the car for you.

The seats, the ingress/egress, the noise levels, the drive - everything is perfect for a placid, non-ruffled experience - you might even forget you're driving - perhaps making this a very dangerous car, even :dunno:

It was so nice and calming, I even had the fleeting thought of buying one for my wife - till we talked to one of her friends who had one and has already gone through two transmissions, a fuel pump and several rattling and falling-off trim pieces - all this supported by numerous horror stories on the web. In fact, my wife's friend's car was bought back by MB under CT's Lemon Law.

That and the size and fuel mileage penalty has crossed it off the list - the thing is larger than a Honda Odyssey and about as wide as a Boeing.

I apologize for posting this and will continue to let these little drives slip my mind ;)

Ed
I for one enjoy the test drive posts. Even when reviewing the most mundane of transporters. The r class briefly was on our radar when looking for 7 seaters, but quickly fell away based on the same horror stories you mention. Coming out of the wagon reliability was tops on my list of must haves.