PDA

View Full Version : Musings on the Highlander and the X3

Sharp11
03-16-2008, 12:49 AM
I've been too busy to drive a lot of the cars on our list lately, but today I ducked into the Toyota dealership to drive a Rav4 and a new Highlander.

The Rav is a nice car, but not for us as our "family" trips and do-everything SUV - it's a bit cramped, the seats aren't too comfy and it's quite noisy - really, the Outback we currently own is better in most respects.

However, the Highlander absolutely rocks!

Ok, the faux wood is cheesy, but everything else about it makes it seem just about perfect for what it is - the driving position is excellent from big, comfy multi-adjustable seats, the ride is excellent (on 19's no less), the handling fairly nimble, the steering light but precise, the brakes awesome.

I really liked it - it's not X3 fun-to-drive, but it feels like a really quality piece, with an above average body structure. I need to drive it home so my wife can try it.

The Highlander Limited - the top of the line model - is a mid 30's purchase and about 32 to 33 according to Edmunds. Not bad at all.

I've yet to drive the MDX, RDX and Infiniti EX35 (my wife enjoys making jokes out of all the x's and numbers in the names of these vehicles), but the Toyota stays high on the list.

I did have an opportunity to borrow an 07 X3 for an afternoon a couple of weeks ago. It was sparsely equipped with a vinyl interior and only a couple of options.

This one apparently had the troublesome throttle response I've read so much about on some of the forums - the thing had a delayed response and would then lurch forward, it'd also hunt for the right gear on hills sometimes getting up into the 4k range before shifting a couple of times and settling in.

Like most BMW's, it had a certain feel to it, an intangible sort of BMWness that's impressive and inherent in every BMW I've owned or driven - it steered and handled beautifully - and it's a 4000lb vehicle.

My wife drove it and really liked it - however, it does have steering that's a bit on the heavy side at parking lot speeds, a problem for her which can be rectified by the servotronic steering option. Unfortunately, X3's are pricey and finding one used with SS is going to be tough as only 10 percent of all X3's ordered in 07 had it. New it's over 40 grand even lightly equipped.

So, slowly we're making progress with the car shopping thing inbetween my wife's pain injections (epidurals) and doctors appointments for her back injury.

Ed

ZBB
03-16-2008, 09:30 AM
My wife has an X3... After your comments regarding the size of the RAV4, I'm a bit surprised you're considering an X3 -- the RAV4 is bigger. We had a couple RAV4s at the same time last summer when we were in Philly for 2 weeks. The RAV4 has more rear-seat leg room compared to the X3 and the RAV4's rear cargo area is much bigger in nearly every dimension.

The X3's strong point is that it drives great -- the "BMWness" you mentioned is very evident. We have an '06, so it has the lower powered engine -- and it doesn't have any throttle/shifter mapping issues.

My in-laws bought a new Highlander last Dec. Theirs is a Sport edition with leather. Its very nice in its own way, much larger than either the X3 or RAV4. My wife will probably look at one when the X3 lease is up -- but she'll also look at an X5...