PDA

View Full Version : I think there's something wrong with me

3LOU5
11-14-2017, 01:02 AM
When I made the decision to get rid of my trusty 1988 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab around 1999, I was surprisingly devastated. It was the first brand new vehicle I bought, and the truck was involved in so many of my happy memories (camping, dirtbiking, roadtripping, skirt-chasing, etc.). I remembered the final time I saw her being driven away by some stranger, I got a bit teary-eyed and slightly emotional.

WTF ?? Who does that ??

So now it's almost getting to the end of the line with my beloved E46. She was the second vehicle I bought new (custom order), and had some GREAT roadtrips together. Like my Ranger, we also had some memorable times. In fact, her tires have set foot on all the states of the Lower 48, and have traversed the country a total of 8 times.

But for some reason, I can't offer her up for trade. It feels a little like betrayal. I'd just rather keep the car until I can't drive anymore.

I envy you guys who can just sell or trade your cars at a whim, with no feelings of deep regret or sentimental value.

Just wondering, have any of you still have a vehicle that you felt deeply about, or should I just go ahead and schedule an appointment with a psychiatrist ??

Theo
11-14-2017, 08:06 AM
Weirdly enough for me it was not a vehicle I owned but one my parents did. It was an old huge green mercury station wagon. It was one of the first cars I could remember as a child and it was around until I was in my late teens. I remember my parents finally getting rid of it when my sisters where already out of the house and they no longer needed a big wagon. Soooooo many family memories in that car(including rolling around in the very back wrestling with my sisters - child seats - what were those). I must have had that same affliction even then. I got a little choked up watching that high mileage giant piece of Detroit iron drive away.

bren
11-14-2017, 08:16 AM
If you like the car so much, why sell? I'm confused.

kognito
11-14-2017, 08:37 AM
What shape is it in mechanically?

If it is not worth much as far as trade in value, why not find a very needy person via a church group and donate it to someone who could really benefit by it?

There are good tax advantages to this route, and I'll bet you 100 bucks that if you happen to see the car in the future you will feel better about it than you did when you saw your Ranger

rumatt
11-14-2017, 08:59 AM
So now it's almost getting to the end of the line with my beloved E46. ... I'd just rather keep the car until I can't drive anymore.

Ahem.

I can relate.

rumatt
11-14-2017, 09:02 AM

This sounds like a line Spock would say on star trek. Then Captain Kirk would have explain the idea of sentimental value to him.

The spock would make a face like, "I think I understand" while actually thinking, "you humans are a bunch of idiots".

wdc330i
11-14-2017, 09:09 AM
This sounds like a line Spock would say on star trek. Then Captain Kirk would have explain the idea of sentimental value to him.

The spock would make a face like, "I think I understand" while actually thinking, "you humans are a bunch of idiots".

:lol:

John V
11-14-2017, 10:41 AM
I've never really felt a pang of regret on selling anything. I've certainly looked back and thought that I would like to have kept certain cars, but at the time I sold them I was confident it was the right decision, so why second guess it?

Biggins
11-14-2017, 01:12 PM
There's nothing wrong about your thoughts on your E46. I think the best tactic, if possible, is to hold on to the E46 for at least a few months after you get something else.

I kept my E36 for almost a year after getting the FR-S because I didn't want to trade it for "nothing" and thought I might need something more practical. Once I figured out that I no longer had a use for the E36, I sold it. I don't regret selling it, but I still miss it from time-to-time and would rather still have it than the old CR-V.

3LOU5
11-14-2017, 02:19 PM
Weirdly enough for me it was not a vehicle I owned but one my parents did. It was an old huge green mercury station wagon. It was one of the first cars I could remember as a child and it was around until I was in my late teens. I remember my parents finally getting rid of it when my sisters where already out of the house and they no longer needed a big wagon. Soooooo many family memories in that car(including rolling around in the very back wrestling with my sisters - child seats - what were those). I must have had that same affliction even then. I got a little choked up watching that high mileage giant piece of Detroit iron drive away.

That would be my dad's first car when he immigrated from the Philippines, a big 4-door 1972 Chevrolet Impala sedan for me.

3LOU5
11-14-2017, 02:24 PM

Sorry to be confusing.

I guess the question would be more of "do you feel so strongly about a piece of machinery because it has so many sentimental value/memories that you hesitate to get rid of it".

And if so, what was it ??

3LOU5
11-14-2017, 02:38 PM
What shape is it in mechanically?

If it is not worth much as far as trade in value, why not find a very needy person via a church group and donate it to someone who could really benefit by it?

There are good tax advantages to this route, and I'll bet you 100 bucks that if you happen to see the car in the future you will feel better about it than you did when you saw your Ranger

My car, for being 15-years old, is in great shape. There are no rips on the seats, headliner is still intact, etc.. No scratches or dents exteriorly, probably because I am so anal about where I park. Mechanically, she still runs like a top, with no issues whatsoever.....except the engine uses (not burns, I don't see black smoke out of the exhaust) about 1/2 quart every 7500 miles.

I'd say she is about 8 out of 10 overall, though I could be a bit biased.

The donation thing sounds like a good route. Thanks for that idea.

rumatt
11-14-2017, 02:41 PM
the engine uses about 1/2 quart every 7500 miles.

That's nothing. :lol:

3LOU5
11-14-2017, 02:41 PM
Ahem.

I can relate.

I am jealous of what you did with yours.

Must be feel as good as new !!

3LOU5
11-14-2017, 02:43 PM

And here I thought I was the only Trekkie in this group, LOL.

:thumbup:

3LOU5
11-14-2017, 02:44 PM
I've never really felt a pang of regret on selling anything. I've certainly looked back and thought that I would like to have kept certain cars, but at the time I sold them I was confident it was the right decision, so why second guess it?

I need to adopt your philosophy....

rumatt
11-14-2017, 02:47 PM
I am jealous of what you did with yours.

Must be feel as good as new !!Except for the bumper that's falling off and the driver seat that is ripped and looks like shit. Yeah. :D

3LOU5
11-14-2017, 02:50 PM
There's nothing wrong about your thoughts on your E46. I think the best tactic, if possible, is to hold on to the E46 for at least a few months after you get something else.

I kept my E36 for almost a year after getting the FR-S because I didn't want to trade it for "nothing" and thought I might need something more practical. Once I figured out that I no longer had a use for the E36, I sold it. I don't regret selling it, but I still miss it from time-to-time and would rather still have it than the old CR-V.

The thing is, if I DO hold on to it "for at least a few months", I'm afraid I'll never get rid of it, LOL.

bren
11-14-2017, 02:59 PM
So, why are you getting rid of it? Still not seeing the issue....

Alan
11-14-2017, 08:19 PM
Bren makes a good point why do you think you need to get rid of it ?

I understand getting sad when seeing one of your babies go to the next owner but that usually last an hour or two until you realize there was a reason you put your car up for sale, it was time to let it go.

I have had a few cars I REALLY loved and believe it or not sometimes I have dreams I kept them .. weird but at the same time there was a reason I sold them ... sometimes the memory is better than the real thing.

With that said I have a real issue of even thinking of selling my 911 and R8 ... I just can’t see letting them go though I know the time will come ... eventually :D

3LOU5
11-14-2017, 11:30 PM
So, why are you getting rid of it? Still not seeing the issue....

I just feel like I should. Financially speaking, it just makes sense. It would put a little dent on a down payment for a Miata I've been lusting after. However, I seem to have an (unreasonable ??) emotional/sentimental attachment to it, and I just can't seem to let it go without feeling really bad.

I suppose the issue is, I really shouldn't have such a deep attachment to it. It is, after all, just a machine....

3LOU5
11-14-2017, 11:34 PM
Bren makes a good point why do you think you need to get rid of it ?

I understand getting sad when seeing one of your babies go to the next owner but that usually last an hour or two until you realize there was a reason you put your car up for sale, it was time to let it go.

I have had a few cars I REALLY loved and believe it or not sometimes I have dreams I kept them .. weird but at the same time there was a reason I sold them ... sometimes the memory is better than the real thing.

With that said I have a real issue of even thinking of selling my 911 and R8 ... I just can’t see letting them go though I know the time will come ... eventually :D

I actually have dreams about getting buried in mine, LOL.

:lol::lol:

(I wonder if that's possible....)

:eeps::eeps:

rumatt
11-14-2017, 11:48 PM
I actually have dreams about getting buried in mine, LOL.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/6/69852/3248360-descarga.jpg

clyde
11-15-2017, 12:43 AM
Just wondering, have any of you still have a vehicle that you felt deeply about, or should I just go ahead and schedule an appointment with a psychiatrist ??

The 91 Miata decorating my driveway for the past five years has been in my family since December 1990 when my dad bought it for my younger brother. My dad was going to donate it eight(?) years ago, but sent out here instead where I drove it daily for three (four?) years.

I need to get rid of it. But...

3LOU5
11-15-2017, 03:13 AM
The 91 Miata decorating my driveway for the past five years has been in my family since December 1990 when my dad bought it for my younger brother. My dad was going to donate it eight(?) years ago, but sent out here instead where I drove it daily for three (four?) years.

I can't remember, but is your dad still alive ??

If he's not, perhaps that is the reason why you are having a difficult time getting rid of it.

My sister won't sell my parents' Acura, their very last car they owned after my mom passed a few months ago.

(My dad passed away in 2015).

3LOU5
11-15-2017, 03:17 AM
Just for the record, I've never named any of my cars.

So in that sense, I suppose I'm somewhat normal.

:lol::lol:

:eeps:

Theo
11-15-2017, 08:45 AM
I keep mine at this point because I’ve grown so accustomed to it, love how it drives and everything I want is so expensive now. I don’t really have an emotional attachment like I did with that station wagon when I was a kid.

clyde
11-15-2017, 07:53 PM
I can't remember, but is your dad still alive ??

If he's not, perhaps that is the reason why you are having a difficult time getting rid of it.

My sister won't sell my parents' Acura, their very last car they owned after my mom passed a few months ago.

(My dad passed away in 2015).

He’s not, but that’s not why. The answer is always Miata. When it was running, it was a perfectly good runabout that’s fun. It’s cheap and not worth much. That’s more why.

The XK8 on the other hand, that has about everything to do with it, but that’s only been decorating the driveway for just over a year so far.

bren
11-15-2017, 08:08 PM
Because Miata
Oh, so you're not replacing it in kind. There's your issue right there.

Alan
11-15-2017, 10:40 PM

Jeez Clyde how many cars do you have ... I know you have the jag, the focus and now I learned you have a Miata too ... can you please give some details

clyde
11-15-2017, 11:21 PM
Jeez Clyde how many cars do you have ... I know you have the jag, the focus and now I learned you have a Miata too ... can you please give some details

Seriously? It’s all been pretty well documented and youve commented plenty over time.

Focus ST has been my daily driver for about five years.

Outback is twice wrecked, super high mileage, and my wife’s.

They park in the garage overnight.

Decorating the driveway is:

The 91 Miata that hasn’t really run in about five years. Been in he family since new.

98 Jaguar XK8 my dad bought in 2013 a couple weeks before he died. Sat in my mom’s garage for three years until she “sold” it to a mooching “friend”, so I flew out to Sann Diego with my daughter and we drove it back right after the massive snowstorm January 2016. I drove it recreationally and occasionally commuting in it until August 2016 when (I think) the fuel pump died. Been decorating the driveway since.

That’s it.

By next spring, hope to fix and sell the XK8.

Also hope to fix and sell the Miata. Or, maybe, just sell, but want to involve my 15-nearly-16 year old daughter in working on it so I can “give” it to her in exchange for her effort...only not give it to her.

Instead, give her my wife’s Outback as first car and get my wife whatever she wants (sounds like a newer, but used Outback).

Sell Focus ST and replace with a sixth gen Camaro (hopefully a SS 1LE, but possibly a regular SS or a turbo 4...because nothing in life is easy that should be).

Alan
11-16-2017, 03:05 AM
Wow strange I don’t remember commenting on the Miata :dunno:

That is pretty cool ... interested to see what you end up doing with both the Jag and Miata ... by any chance do you have a pic of the Mazda ... I know the Jag is a silver one which was similar to one my dad had at one time.