PDA

View Full Version : Go for practical or awesome?

rost12
10-15-2003, 06:14 PM
I'm talking about a car for my mother...

Some background - she currently has '01 Audi A6 4.2. Engine and quattro are the only redeeming qualities of that car...everything else (including brakes, a big one) blows. So, after this winter we'll be looking into replacing it. Want to buy the car (50% financing, paid out within 6 months), so looking into something to keep for a long time.

In the family we already have 2 sedans (7er, M5) that work well enough during winter, so AWD is not a priority.

Her prefs - practical (SUV :roll:) and prestigious. Current choice - BMW X5 or Porsche Cayenne :roll: :roll:

My suggestions:
Practical - E500 4-matic wagon. Safe, versatile, prestigious and good looking.
Just great - SL500 and screw the practicality.

I'm leaning towards screwing practicality. I mean, she only needs that extra space one or two times a year when she's shopping for flowers... Rent an Explorer for those two days and you can be driving one of the most beautiful two-seaters in production today, drop the roof down during those perfect days without any sacrifices during the rest of the year. Oh, and SL is definitely a keeper.

Price wise (in canadian) - a nicely optioned E500 4-matic wagon is 96k. SL500 with sports package is 137k. A not an insignificant difference, but doable.

I know, it's her car, I should mind my own business, but... an SL? :drool:

Express your opinions here :arrow: :smile:

Mathew
10-15-2003, 06:17 PM
My mother went from 7 series to X5...

E-Class is nice.

rost12
10-15-2003, 06:20 PM
My mother went from 7 series to X5...

:rant:

dredmo
10-15-2003, 06:34 PM
I would say the E. The S would be a great car, but practicality is trump.

For me.

rost12
10-15-2003, 07:33 PM
I would say the E. The S would be a great car...

SL. As in this:
http://www.mercedes.ca/site/images/content/slClass.jpg

Keep in mind - our need for practicality is next to imaginary. Anyhow, just talked to the Boss, he thinks SL is the way to go. Man, I just love car shopping :)

dredmo
10-15-2003, 07:34 PM
I would say the E. The S would be a great car...

S<b>L</b>. As in this:

Keep in mind - our need for practicality is next to imaginary. Anyhow, just talked to the Boss, he thinks SL is the way to go. Man, I just love car shopping :)

Actually I knew what you meant, sorry bout the typo.

nate
10-15-2003, 10:54 PM
I would get the SL.

btw, funny that someone with an M5 is complaining about brakes :lol:

Roadstergal
10-16-2003, 02:37 AM
SL.

I can't believe I just told someone to buy a Mercedes. :paranoid:

mquetel
10-16-2003, 02:44 AM
SL. As in this:

:line:

I love the SL500! That will be a great summer ride.

Mathew
10-16-2003, 12:41 PM

That reminds me...it must be getting cold up there in Canada :P

FC
10-16-2003, 12:57 PM
Well, I love the SL and the E. Personally, for the money I would rather get the E. Lot sof power, gorgeous and roomy interior, and just ridiculously practical. I would love for my wife to have one when we are in the market for a wagon in 2-3 years, but we'll likely have to look at a pre-owned E320 4-matic wagon.

The E500 4-matic wagon starts at 60K in the US and with a few options and guzzler tax, etc, it would probably be closer to 70K out the door here (MSRP).

I'd only get the SL as a summer car, not a daily driver. I do hope to one day (probably 30 years from now) own a MB SL with a V-12 engine. I drool over SL's. I am staring at a 1:18 model of one just like the one in the picture you posted. Along with a 993 911, 300SL Gullwing, Boxster S and CLK-GTR. :thumbup:

rost12
10-16-2003, 01:28 PM
I would get the SL.

btw, funny that someone with an M5 is complaining about brakes :lol:

Hey!

You really have to drive that Audi to understand. I'm serious, I get scared when driving it on the highway :oops:

rost12
10-16-2003, 01:29 PM
SL.

I can't believe I just told someone to buy a Mercedes. :paranoid:

Well, we could do worse than MB :wink:

rost12
10-16-2003, 01:33 PM

That reminds me...it must be getting cold up there in Canada :P

Some people don't mind the cold too much. Although wearing a sweater makes the car that much more cramped for me :(

SARAFIL
10-16-2003, 07:36 PM
I'd go for an X5. If she wants an X5/Cayenne/(insert SUV here), there's no use in trying to argue on why she should instead get something she doesn't want.

An X5 4.4 with Valvetronic will be :cool:.