PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Honda Accord

JST
10-16-2017, 10:08 PM
Just to put this on everyone's radar, because it wasn't a car I was really thinking about:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-honda-accord-first-drive-review

4 doors, 6 speed manual, 250 hp turbo four, and the driving reviews are very complimentary.

3LOU5
10-16-2017, 10:55 PM
My only experience with an Accord was the '87 LXi hatch I bought from my sister with a 5-speed.

LOVED that car. It was a rolling rust bucket when I finally donated it with a quarter of a million miles. The only thing that wasn't working was the A/C, but that car really impressed me.

I would definitely consider replacing my aging Bimmer with an Accord Sport. However, when I was in FL for my mom, I was driving her 2012 Acura TSX Special Edition with the Sequential Sportshift, and THAT was a solid, nice-handling FWD car. If it came with a 6-speed stick, I would've have taken it from my sister (who also has an E92).

The Accord is a like a 3-Series in terms of being a multiple winner of 10Best awards, so it can't be that bad.

robg
10-17-2017, 12:11 AM
Just to put this on everyone's radar, because it wasn't a car I was really thinking about:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-honda-accord-first-drive-review

4 doors, 6 speed manual, 250 hp turbo four, and the driving reviews are very complimentary.

Yeah I'm sort of intrigued after reading several complimentary reviews. The styling looks a bit odd but I'm sure it'll look better with more exposure. The interior looks perfect

FC
10-17-2017, 12:32 AM
This is clearly great news, but I just personally cannot deal with that styling. Heck, I have a beef with the A7, so obviously this won't work for me either.

But you better believe I'm rooting like hell for many manuals to be sold.

JST
10-17-2017, 07:26 AM
The styling on the Accord is kind of meh, but it’s a lot nicer looking than most mainstream sedans these days.

rumatt
10-17-2017, 07:46 AM
That's cool. I like it.

I mean it's FWD, looks enormous, is ugly and I don't want one. But that aside, I like where they're going.

John V
10-17-2017, 08:27 AM
I'm sure the people who buy these will be really excited about it; at least as excited as people who buy Accords get about a new Accord. Maybe even a little more so.

wdc330i
10-17-2017, 08:27 AM
I think I'd just buy a Civic instead. I loved my Accord EX hatchback from the '80s. The longest I've ever kept any car. But I was poor then.

JST
10-17-2017, 09:24 AM
I mean, it’s not as exciting as a small SUV with an automatic.

bren
10-17-2017, 09:41 AM
I mean, it’s not as exciting as a small SUV with an automatic.

Yeah, a fwd sedan that tries to yank the steering wheel from your hands whenever you hit the gas, can't hold your family and dogs at the same time, and gets stuck in any appreciable snow. Yehah!

I really honestly don't understand the appeal of something like this over an SUV. What's the upside? And don't try to tell me this is "fun" to drive.

JST
10-17-2017, 09:46 AM
It’s not an automatic.
It’s not an suv.

Alan
10-17-2017, 09:55 AM
This is clearly great news, but I just personally cannot deal with that styling. Heck, I have a beef with the A7, so obviously this won't work for me either.

But you better believe I'm rooting like hell for many manuals to be sold.

I’m with you in regards to the A7, I test drove one and even though it is ahead of the A6 in the Audi line up I just couldn’t get myself to like the rear of that car which is way I ended up going with the A6.

Believe it or not many people love the A7 styling.

ff
10-17-2017, 09:58 AM
Good luck finding one with 3 pedals.

Jeff_DML
10-17-2017, 10:59 AM
Good luck finding one with 3 pedals.

yeah I wonder how that works. BMW you basically need to custom order to get manual but I assume no one does that for hondas. I do not see dealers stocking them because good luck selling them.

JST
10-17-2017, 11:04 AM
yeah I wonder how that works. BMW you basically need to custom order to get manual but I assume no one does that for hondas. I do not see dealers stocking them because good luck selling them.

Honda dealers are terrible in every way and I'd rather go back to the periodontist than deal with one. That said, the good thing about Honda is that their order combinations are very limited, so it might not be as difficult as you'd think.

I do occasionally see manual Accords around. Not often, but it happens.

Jeff_DML
10-17-2017, 11:06 AM
Honda dealers are terrible in every way and I'd rather go back to the periodontist than deal with one. That said, the good thing about Honda is that their order combinations are very limited, so it might not be as difficult as you'd think.

I do occasionally see manual Accords around. Not often, but it happens.

hope they are not worse then Toyota dealers:eeps:

JST
10-17-2017, 11:14 AM
hope they are not worse then Toyota dealers:eeps:

At least in DC, they are. Or they are no better. They are not interested in taking the time to sell you a car, because they figure that you're already interested because Honda, but they also have the mass-market dealer mentality of "how much do you want to spend per month" driving the entire conversation.

Put it this way: I've had a lot of really bad dealer experiences, but the Honda dealer is the only place I got into a screaming fight so bad that they threatened to call the police and I begged them to do so.

wdc330i
10-17-2017, 11:26 AM
My FIL tried to work for a Honda dealer as a salesman recently. Got all the way through training and then learned the insane hours and personal financial commitment they expected of him. I imagine it is worse to work for them than to buy a car from them.

Although, back in the day when I bought two Hondas, each time was an excruciating experience with all the terrible cliche car sales tactics applied.

Theo
10-17-2017, 11:51 AM
This guy goes over the car pretty good as well. He tests the manual sport about half way through. Looks good for what it is.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=468s&v=iCFaep-7GW8

Jeff_DML
10-17-2017, 05:35 PM
For most for a lot of us on this board I sort of agree with Bren unless you set your standards very low. Honda accord even with a stick will be pretty boring after you have been driving M's and Porsches.

John V
10-17-2017, 07:00 PM
Yeah, a fwd sedan that tries to yank the steering wheel from your hands whenever you hit the gas, can't hold your family and dogs at the same time, and gets stuck in any appreciable snow. Yehah!

I really honestly don't understand the appeal of something like this over an SUV. What's the upside? And don't try to tell me this is "fun" to drive.

It would easily fit my family and my dog. But, you know, I'd feel really bad if I was going out with friends and they had to sit in the back. :lol:

I'm actually really glad Honda is making it. I'm not going to buy one. But I'm glad they make it.

clyde
10-17-2017, 07:40 PM
Got all the way through training and then learned the insane hours and personal financial commitment they expected of him. I imagine it is worse to work for them than to buy a car from them.

This more service centered than sales, but worth a look:

https://www.facebook.com/CarDealershipLife/

Biggins
10-17-2017, 10:32 PM
The front is weird, but I'd pick this over the Mazda6 for this category. My eye doctor raves about his '13 manual Sport and even said he did a track event with it and was usable for that.

I'm still eyeing the 17+ Civic Sport hatch, but I'm finding there are very few manuals for those too.

clyde
10-17-2017, 10:58 PM
The front is weird, but I'd pick this over the Mazda6 for this category. My eye doctor raves about his '13 manual Sport and even said he did a track event with it and was usable for that.

I'm still eyeing the 17+ Civic Sport hatch, but I'm finding there are very few manuals for those too.

I can’t believe McHugh campaigned in that Accord this year.

Maybe you should get in line for Danny’s Type R and see how that plays out?