PDA

View Full Version : So I went and bought our daughter a new GTI Sport...

TD
07-24-2017, 02:40 PM
Many years ago when our daughter was still quite young, my dad would regularly promise to buy her a new car when she turned 16. My dad loved to push my buttons so whenever he promised this, it was never just a generic reference to buying a car, but rather a specific reference to buying her a Hummer. I'd roll my eyes and we'd move on.

Most of you know that my dad passed almost 5 years ago. And our daughter is a few months past 17. But my mom, out of a mix of honoring my dad's promise as if he fully meant it and some estate planning, offered a few months back to make a significant contribution toward a car for or daughter.

I debated putting the funds toward a replacement car for me and handing down to her one of the cars in our existing fleet. But I recall my parents buying me a new car when I was her age, I know a car like this will easily serve her well for a decade until she can buy herself something decent, and getting her a car rather than putting the money toward something for me felt much more in keeping with the spirit of the gift.

And I reserve the right to borrow it whenever I want.

So I started the process I've detailed mildly in JST's Golf R thread.

I first visited Stohlman in Tysons and drove the blue GTI Sport that seemed a bit off. The next weekend I drove a red one with our daughter at King VW and it was a blast. Remember, these dealers have been advertising majorly discounted cars. We spent a lot of time there and walked all over the lot comparing colors with the salesman.

I would have preferred to buy from King as they are less than 10 min from our house. But my guard went up when the salesman refused to negotiate on a price via email. "Come in. We'll do you right." Um, sure.

I go in the next weekend, this time our son is with me as my wife and daughter slipped away to the beach for the weekend. I go in with a price in mind (partially based on what I had explained to me weeks before at Stohlman and partially based on reviewing the incentives listed at Edmunds) and the salesman gets nowhere near it. I ask about the price shown online and he rattles off the incentives required to get to that price, each with with its own eligibility requirements, and which no living human could possibly qualify for all of. Basically the advertised price was bullshit to get me to be sitting there getting played.

"Well, if you're not willing to go to that price, perhaps you should just consider a GTI S" (the base GTI with less power and without the LSD).

Um, no. And fuck you for trying that.

"You're not going to get a better price. And if you go the Virginia, the doc fee is $700 versus $300 here,"

That afternoon I swung by Ourisman VW in Rockville to give them a crack at price. I declined a test drive, saying I was familiar and was shopping around. I told them they're convenient and would love them to come in with a good price. I asked for their bullshit-free best price. It was worse than what King had teed up.

Sure, I could theoretically have worked either number to a better place but felt so put off by the approach that I couldn't engage.

I texted the salesman I had worked with at Stohlman weeks before to ask him for his bullshit-free best price. Now he and I had spent a lot of time together that day I was in. We "bonded" over our fleet, he also having an E39 and a B7 A4 - both stick. And we talked soccer. So I was pleasantly surprised when he emailed me a price quote through all taxes/fees/etc more of less in line with my original expectations.

I went in on Saturday with the full family as my wife had not driven one yet. We took two cars and my wife left with our son after the drive and our daughter and I set out to get it done.

The Sport 6-spd we wanted was, unfortunately, shod with Hankooks. Other Sports on the lot had Potenzas. One with Potenzas was also going to be delivered that afternoon. So my salesman got them both in the service bays and got the techs to swap wheels between the two cars for me while I fought through the F&I room.

On my first visit, talking cars, the salesman figured out I've bought a few and that's when the stage was set for trying to do this deal BS-free.

The F&I guy tried to play games with the interest rate on the financing I had to take to get the price (I was inclined to finance a portion anyway). I threatened to walk and insisted the rate was part of what I had agreed to with the salesman. The F&I guy tracked down the salesman, came back, and angrily changed the rate. He then proceeded to not even try to sell me any of the service agreements spanning three pages on his IPad Pro. "I've set these all to decline. Just initial at the bottom."

In all, we were out of the F&I room in under 10 min.

Upon delivery, the salesman shows me the front license plate mount, still in its plastic bag, stirring in the hatchback area. I hadn't asked but he assumed I didn't want it mounted. And there was no Stohlman badge/sticker below the GTI back on the hatch lid as was on every other car on the lot.

So we go back later this week for the real tags, at which time they'll scrape the infernal Virginia inspection sticker off (it has to stay as long as it's running Virginia tags).

Here are a few pics from delivery. The white one in the background in one of the pics is the car now wearing the Hankooks.

And, yes, the interior is plaid.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170724/62e686a6a53b08a13c3fa459c8794264.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170724/7cf6a6c43855e4b9e266c3722762f913.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170724/cfcad6f81a8a1af36556928c28d6f7c0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170724/beae5e20ab5b44aff34d47f5b2eb06e5.jpg

bren
07-24-2017, 02:56 PM
It's a really nice car. And it's quite fun to drive.

I probably would've bought something with fewer doors, but should be a great (first) car for her.

Just tell her to stay out of PA (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11369&d=1500566520). :lol:

rumatt
07-24-2017, 03:07 PM
I probably would've bought something with fewer doors, but should be a great (first) car for her.
:loco: :?

Just tell her to stay out of PA (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11369&d=1500566520). :lol:
:lol:

rumatt
07-24-2017, 03:08 PM
ask him for his bullshit-free best price
I'm curious - how exactly do you word that request?

Josh (PA)
07-24-2017, 03:23 PM

Ouch.

And Congrats, Tom. It's nice when the most pleasant salesman is also the best priced one. I think you did right by your parents wishes too. Makes much more sense for how your daughter wound up with the newest car in your fleet.

Hope it stays that way (unlike my pic that Bren shared ;) )

bren
07-24-2017, 03:23 PM
I'm curious - how exactly do you word that request?

Ask for the best price "on the road" or "out the door".

John V
07-24-2017, 03:54 PM
Cool! They are great cars. Sounds like you got the best possible deal.

I don't understand dealership reluctance to do business via e-mail / web / phone. I would think they'd be motivated to sell something quickly rather than spend hours finding a buyer who will pay a few hundred bucks more. I've only ever personally bought one new vehicle (a motorcycle) and I had a similar experience with every dealer except the one I ended up buying from asking me to come in to do the haggling.

ff
07-24-2017, 03:58 PM
The F&I guy [...] angrily changed the rate.

That's how you know that you succeeded in negotiating the best deal you're going to get; when the F&I guy gets angry. He's the last stop in ensuring that the dealership actually makes some money on the deal.

If he didn't even offer you those wretched warranties, then you really must've socked it to them. He just wanted you out of his sight! LOL :D

TD
07-24-2017, 04:15 PM
Ouch.

And Congrats, Tom. It's nice when the most pleasant salesman is also the best priced one. I think you did right by your parents wishes too. Makes much more sense for how your daughter wound up with the newest car in your fleet.

Hope it stays that way (unlike my pic that Bren shared ;) )

I'm still planning on getting myself something next spring when my number would come up for the Tesla Model 3. I'm not feeling it now that pics are up of the production version. But I might just go with a used Model S or, as I have mentioned before, a late in the run prior-gen S4.

I really have to figure out how to get the E39 gone.

kognito
07-24-2017, 04:27 PM
Documentation fee?

What is this? You have to pay them to do their job?

kognito
07-24-2017, 04:32 PM
I really have to figure out how to get the E39 gone.

You think there is any way to do that without upsetting your Mom? Something you said in the GTI thread made me think she wants you to keep your Dad's E39

TD
07-24-2017, 04:49 PM
You think there is any way to do that without upsetting your Mom? Something you said in the GTI thread made me think she wants you to keep your Dad's E39

She does. Which is why I want her to take it. I just can't have 5 cars.

JST
07-24-2017, 05:08 PM
Great news. I liked Stohlman the best, too, but they didn't have the color I wanted so I had to buy from Springfield. It was not pleasant but ultimately they gave me a decent deal (and their F&I process wasn't so bad).

What's the name of the salesman? Sounds like he deserves some referral work.

equ
07-24-2017, 08:42 PM
Congrats! Aren't these cars awesome? Decent feel and capability. Much better to drive than my b8 a4.

I like (and more importantly she loves) ours. The sunroof is BS, it's really quite awful, and the perforated "shade" is the icing. There is no aftermarket for that, other than super dark tint on the glass. I think we would have liked Plaid (Cara's choice) + LSD, but the leather & stereo & the slightly used deal made it happen. We bought it with 4200 miles and are up to 8600 already in three months.

The potenzas are decent in the wet and quiet, but note that they are all-seasons. Fine for that car, but they are no tire to write home about. They squeal often under moderate driving conditions, even the low-output APR chip seems to ask for better tires. With the full APR power, it was not even funny, tires were breaking loose at highway speeds. Summary: I wouldn't go to great lengths to get the b-stones (then again I haven't driven on those particular 'kooks).

clyde
07-24-2017, 08:47 PM
TD, congrats on getting the deal you wanted!

That's how you know that you succeeded in negotiating the best deal you're going to get; when the F&I guy gets angry. He's the last stop in ensuring that the dealership actually makes some money on the deal.

If he didn't even offer you those wretched warranties, then you really must've socked it to them. He just wanted you out of his sight! LOL :D

I have F&I experiences all over the map. When I bought the FoST, the only thing he asked was if he got me the same rate as my credit union (1.49% I think), would I finance through him. The RX-8 was more "traditizonal" and he had fancy bullshit screens trying to sell me on an absurd rate over an obscene number of months telling me it was cheaper. I had to threaten to walk when I bought the 325xiT because he wouldn't stop trying to sell me their LoJack like thing.

clyde
07-24-2017, 08:55 PM
Documentation fee?

What is this? You have to pay them to do their job?

Do any dealers not generally charge a documentation fee any more? But to answer your question, basically, yes. They should be paying for the services/actions they cover through the car's purchase price. The problem is that if they say they charge everyone and they do, if they don't charge you, they open themselves up to lawsuits from everyone that paid. I have no idea how much merit there is to that (one of he law talking people might be able to speak to it better than me), but there can still be ways around it. One car (the RX-8, I think), they would have let me walk over it when I feigned ignorance of that as an additional charge. We got through it by them dropping the price of the car by an equal amount. Even so, I've always negotiated the prices of the cars with that charge in mind. If they'd called my bluff when I threatened to walk on the RX-8, I still would have been happy with my total cost. Instead I saved $150 (or $250 or $300? I can't remember) off the price I was already happy with.

kognito
07-24-2017, 09:41 PM
when I bought our current Focus, the first dealer I visited wanted 500 bucks doc fee (after sales guy jerked me around for 2 days) Dealer I bought from laughed about first dealer. I drove away in the Focus 40 minutes after I pulled into the dealer. Has to be a record for me. No BS from Sales or F&I. Halfway filled out a credit app, and was out the door with 0% for 60 months.

First oil change on the Focus I went back to the first dealer as they have a nicer Fast Change building. The freakin dipshit mechanic forgot to replace the oil cap, so not only do they know how to rip off their customers, they don't know how to service their cars either.

equ
07-25-2017, 12:17 PM
After some experimentation with Normal, Individual (and different set-ups within that) etc, we settled on Sport Mode. Both Cara and I drive it in that. The main difference is throttle response. It's a bit touchy, but it shifts smoother both up and down in that mode. The steering also has some heft. I have no idea what the different modes do to the diff up front.

TD
07-25-2017, 03:03 PM
After some experimentation with Normal, Individual (and different set-ups within that) etc, we settled on Sport Mode. Both Cara and I drive it in that. The main difference is throttle response. It's a bit touchy, but it shifts smoother both up and down in that mode. The steering also has some heft. I have no idea what the different modes do to the diff up front.

Not sure if the drive mode options are the same on ours. But we have Sport, Normal and Custom. The custom lets you toggle between sport and normal on individual setting items. We're using custom with everything set to sport except "engine noise" - which turns off the damn SoundAktor.

equ
07-25-2017, 03:23 PM
On the b8.5 s4, I hated the soundaktor and kept the fuse off. I did the same on the GTI, but then I disliked the wheezy natural sound and reconnected the wire or the fuse, whatever it is. It just sounds fuller or more round.

JST
07-25-2017, 03:44 PM
Not sure if the drive mode options are the same on ours. But we have Sport, Normal and Custom. The custom lets you toggle between sport and normal on individual setting items. We're using custom with everything set to sport except "engine noise" - which turns off the damn SoundAktor.

Does it turn it off? I think it just turns it down.

The R has Comfort, Normal, Race, and Custom. In the EU, you can individually adjust the level of the Soundaktor in the Custom setting, but here in the US it's just a binary "sport" or "normal" setting; there's some dispute about what this does to flaps in the R's exhaust, but it does appear to ramp up the Soundaktor in Sport.

Do the GTIs have the adjustable dampers? I keep those and the sound on "normal" and everything else on Sport. At their firmest setting the dampers are a little too harsh for the street, and you don't seem to give up much going to normal. Comfort is too squishy.

equ
07-25-2017, 04:01 PM
Some GTI's have adjustable suspension. Ours doesn't and pretty sure the Sport spec doesn't. The passive dampers are among the best I've driven in any vw/audi (helps that the car is light). So far I'm running 37f/35r pressures.

TD
07-25-2017, 04:11 PM
Ours does not have the adjustable dampers. And I can't seem to get a solid answer looking online as to whether the "engine sound" setting turns down or turns off the SoundAktor. But I can say in the "Normal" setting I have no complains.

robg
07-27-2017, 10:26 AM
Congrats! I have mixed feelings about this post though: as a 43 year old guy, I have conflicted feelings about wanting a GTI as my next car. The fact that you've bought one for your 17 year old doesn't help matters. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff_DML
07-27-2017, 10:48 AM
Congrats! I have mixed feelings about this post though: as a 43 year old guy, I have conflicted feelings about wanting a GTI as my next car. The fact that you've bought one for your 17 year old doesn't help matters. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the same middle age, a wrx or foci I would be a bit worried but a GTI seems fine to me

blee
07-27-2017, 10:38 PM
Nicely done. :thumbup:

equ
07-27-2017, 11:36 PM
I checked. Our (late) 2015 doesn't have different sound modes. It's either plugged in or not. We strangely prefer it on.