PDA

View Full Version : Turo

zach
06-22-2017, 01:51 PM
Anybody here used Turo (https://turo.com/)yet? I assume you all know what it is, but for those who don't it's basically airbnb for vehicles.

The only reason I bring it up is that my wife and I are headed to Glacier National Park in September and one of the 3 cars available is 2015 335i xDrive 6spd. Score (https://turo.com/rentals/cars/mt/kalispell/bmw-3-series/266800?s=76uWEW16).

bren
06-22-2017, 03:16 PM
Turo (https://turo.com/)
That seems like an insurance nightmare waiting to happen.

Theo
06-22-2017, 04:19 PM
Anybody here used Turo (https://turo.com/)yet? I assume you all know what it is, but for those who don't it's basically airbnb for vehicles.

The only reason I bring it up is that my wife and I are headed to Glacier National Park in September and one of the 3 cars available is 2015 335i xDrive 6spd. Score (https://turo.com/rentals/cars/mt/kalispell/bmw-3-series/266800?s=76uWEW16).

Stay in Whitefish! Great restaurants and places to grab a drink.

John V
06-22-2017, 05:45 PM
Whitefish is an awesome little town.

Josh (PA)
06-22-2017, 06:14 PM
I've read some good reviews on the 1 series board. The only negative feedback i've heard of is people will pull there cars off w/ little to no notice. It seems like just because something "looks available" doesn't mean it is.

clyde
06-22-2017, 07:17 PM
That seems like an insurance nightmare waiting to happen.

Did anyone else read this when it was fresh?

http://jalopnik.com/here-s-what-happens-when-someone-on-turo-crashes-your-a-1792048817

bren
06-22-2017, 08:36 PM
Did anyone else read this when it was fresh?

http://jalopnik.com/here-s-what-happens-when-someone-on-turo-crashes-your-a-1792048817

Bingo.

Regardless, the issue here is that the value of the car is being disputed.

Anyone who's ever had the pleasure of dealing with an insurance adjuster is well aware that this is SOP.

I'm actually impressed that there was any kind of coverage at all.

rumatt
06-22-2017, 10:21 PM
Yeah. Crashed car, got some money, but still lost a bucket full. What's surprising here?

Only interesting thing would have been if turo used high coverage values to reduce fear of accidents. But that clearly isn't the case.

I can't imagine letting people rent my cars. For a few hundred bucks? No frigging way. Even the shitty ones. :lol:

zach
06-23-2017, 07:58 AM
Yeah I'm going to use Hertz. :)

Josh (PA)
10-17-2019, 08:01 PM
has anyone used Turo? We're landing in Fort Lauderdale and driving down to the Keys over Thanksgiving holiday. I want to rent a Porsche and spend a few days with either a 911 or a boxster. There are some interesting options on Turo, but it makes me nervous.

wdc330i
10-17-2019, 09:04 PM
Yeah I'm going to use Hertz. :)

:lol:

wdc330i
10-17-2019, 09:04 PM
has anyone used Turo? We're landing in Fort Lauderdale and driving down to the Keys over Thanksgiving holiday. I want to rent a Porsche and spend a few days with either a 911 or a boxster. There are some interesting options on Turo, but it makes me nervous.

equ
10-18-2019, 08:26 AM
While I haven't so far, I don't see why I wouldn't use it. Just like craigslist, you can read between the lines and pretty quickly figure out if this is a person you can deal with or not - for the most part.

I'm still thinking of picking up another motorcycle (KTM!). It's getting cold and the bike is far. I wish I had my diesel JGC with its tow package. A U-Haul bike trailer is only $20/day or a bit more. However, their trucks charge by the mile and that's prohibitive when I'm looking at 750 miles round trip. I was wondering if I could rent a tow-capable vehicle on Turo (though they'd have mileage limits as well). Is there any outfit that doesn't charge by the mile and rents a tow-capable vehicle? It's been a long time since I last rented one (at which point I rented the U-Haul to tow it with), but I'm guessing just the receiver is not sufficient; I'd need to plug in the light trailer wiring.

My 3-series could easily tow the 1000lbs trailer and 500lbs bike. I haven't committed to the point of doing that install to that car yet... Also 1 1/4" is kinda lame.

Josh (PA)
10-18-2019, 08:37 AM
While I haven't so far, I don't see why I wouldn't use it. Just like craigslist, you can read between the lines and pretty quickly figure out if this is a person you can deal with or not - for the most part.

I'm still thinking of picking up another motorcycle (KTM!). It's getting cold and the bike is far. I wish I had my diesel JGC with its tow package. A U-Haul bike trailer is only $20/day or a bit more. However, their trucks charge by the mile and that's prohibitive when I'm looking at 750 miles round trip. I was wondering if I could rent a tow-capable vehicle on Turo (though they'd have mileage limits as well). Is there any outfit that doesn't charge by the mile and rents a tow-capable vehicle? It's been a long time since I last rented one (at which point I rented the U-Haul to tow it with), but I'm guessing just the receiver is not sufficient; I'd need to plug in the light trailer wiring.

My 3-series could easily tow the 1000lbs trailer and 500lbs bike. I haven't committed to the point of doing that install to that car yet... Also 1 1/4" is kinda lame.

Enterprise rents F150s and cargo vans inexpensively ($80 - $175/day) with no mileage restrictions. You might be able to get ramps and drive it home in their van fully enclosed. We rent one a couple times a year to get our kids back and forth to college. I know the F150s have a hitch receiver.

equ
10-18-2019, 09:03 AM
Enterprise rents F150s and cargo vans inexpensively ($80 - $175/day) with no mileage restrictions. You might be able to get ramps and drive it home in their van fully enclosed. We rent one a couple times a year to get our kids back and forth to college. I know the F150s have a hitch receiver.

That's probably the way to go.

In the meantime, I've read some fine print. Turo - irrespective of owner rules - blanket bans towing and so does Enterprise! Sucks, what's the point of renting an f150 then? I guess people would abuse it putting their boats in water and what not. My trailer weight is going to be 1600lbs.

I'd much rather tow a heavy, tall adventure bike on a low motorcycle trailer than walk it up and fit it into a cargo van. I'd need double width ramps for the latter as well as removing mirrors/windscreen - a whole lot of nonsense.

Josh (PA)
10-18-2019, 10:38 AM

While this response didn't give me a warm and fuzzy, I decided to give it try. We're renting this while we're down there:

https://turo.com/us/en-us/car-rental/miami-fl/porsche/boxster/600937

Pick it up in Ft Lauderdale and take it down to the keys. We'll be spending a couple nights in Key Largo and a couple in Key West. We want to check out the everglades, do some snorkeling and just chill. Hopefully it all works out and adds some extra joy to the trip.

ZBB
10-18-2019, 11:20 AM
Let us know how it goes...

Looks like that person has built a small Turo business -- interesting fleet he has...

wdc330i
10-18-2019, 11:29 AM
While this response didn't give me a warm and fuzzy, I decided to give it try. We're renting this while we're down there:

Pick it up in Ft Lauderdale and take it down to the keys. We'll be spending a couple nights in Key Largo and a couple in Key West. We want to check out the everglades, do some snorkeling and just chill. Hopefully it all works out and adds some extra joy to the trip.

Well, that is tempting!

Theo
10-18-2019, 11:34 AM

That’s a very nice color combo. Is it an S? If not I didn’t know your could get sport chrono on a non S.

I will wait for impressions for sure!!

Josh (PA)
10-18-2019, 12:54 PM
That’s a very nice color combo. Is it an S? If not I didn’t know your could get sport chrono on a non S.

It is an S with a true manual. I was debating a 981 or a 718, but the fact that this one was a manual made the decision easy.

Josh (PA)
10-18-2019, 01:01 PM
It is an interesting site. Just out of curiosity, I selected manual transmission cars within 100 miles of my house. Outside of the usual suspects, these two are available:
Anyone want a Delorean for a weekend:
https://turo.com/us/en-us/car-rental/lower-moreland-township-pa/delorean/dmc-12/363136?searchId=ilRpbHoH

How about a 1973 BMW 2002:
https://turo.com/us/en-us/car-rental/holland-pa/bmw/2002/667245?searchId=ilRpbHoH

kognito
10-18-2019, 08:13 PM
Have you ever been to Key West?

Let me rephrase that, have you ever tried to find a place to park in Key West?

equ
10-19-2019, 12:40 PM
It is an S with a true manual. I was debating a 981 or a 718, but the fact that this one was a manual made the decision easy.

Cool, hope you enjoy it... Remember that it loves to rev. Even the S's which felt torquey 13yrs ago, when the 3.4L got started do not feel torquey these days.

John V
10-20-2019, 07:03 AM

Oh wow. That's gorgeous.

Josh (PA)
11-23-2019, 03:42 PM
Pick up was super easy, guy was nice. it has the most boomy aftermarket exhaust, which sucks. I'll post more later.

Josh (PA)
11-23-2019, 03:43 PM
Cool, hope you enjoy it... Remember that it loves to rev. Even the S's which felt torquey 13yrs ago, when the 3.4L got started do not feel torquey these days.

I am definitely not used to revving the heck out of an engine for power. If feels really slow compared to the 135, but I think it is more my driving style and being used to instant torque.

Josh (PA)
11-23-2019, 04:00 PM

I am definitely not used to revving the heck out of an engine for power. If feels really slow compared to the 135, but I think it is more my driving style and being used to instant torque.

Alan
11-23-2019, 04:19 PM
That car is hot .. how many miles are on it ? You better put the wing down or the rennlister's are gonna call you a poser ... LOL ...

Let me know your thoughts and maybe post a few more pictures !!

rumatt
11-23-2019, 06:05 PM
Nice. And I'm with you on reving it out. It doesn't come naturally to me for a street driven vehicle.

In other news, I can't believe people let other people rent their (nice) cars.

equ
11-23-2019, 06:36 PM
A 981S is as fast as a 135i. It's not clear to me that the 340i is faster than the 981S, it probably isn't. But one you can shift at 2500-3000 when taking it easy, the other you cannot...

Part of it is the extra inch porsche added to the 981 tire height while keeping the 987 gears and final drive; going taller yet another 4% or so.

JST
11-23-2019, 09:05 PM
It's an adjustment going back to any powerful N/A engine after getting used to a turbo. I like the Porsche because it's so fucking smooth in its inputs; you can drive it harder than the BMW without feeling like it's jerking around as much.

Josh (PA)
11-27-2019, 09:35 PM
Just handed it in. The Turo rental worked out fantastically (thankfully nothing happened to the car, so it was easy).
I wanted to get a few days of driving in before posting my impressions.

The car was interesting. It is definitely pretty to look at. Overall driving impressions, I found it very similar in feel to my friends 987.2 that I've spent a lot time in. The chassis is excellent, the ride and suspension tuning is really good. Not harsh at all, just very well contolled over bumps and flat while handling. Not sure what seats it had, but they were manual. They fit my wife and I well, and we had no issues fitting comfortably. Ergonomics were pretty good, the shifter was probably too high compared to the seat base, but it was OK. Some of the switch gear feels really cheap (especially the lid on the center console, the turn signals, and the steering wheel). Visibility was fine for me when driving forward. I had no problem with the mirrors eliminating blind spots (I think we only drove with the top down). Backing up was pretty tough, I was surprised it had no back up camera or sensors. Storage was great, two travel bags up front and plenty of space in the back.

Steering was good, I wouldn't call it revelational, but good. Shifter was very bolt like, I enjoyed rowing the gears. Clutch was fine, but more touchy than what I'm used to. You sit really low in the chassis. That took some time to get settled into, but it does grow on you. It makes it a little more difficult to get in and out, but it engulfs you in the car when you're in it.

The engine was *fine*, it needs more low end torque. I'm sure the exhaust didn't help, but it took a lot more work to get the car to feel fast, than I would prefer for a street car. I expected more. The nice thing about that was it settled into lower speeds on the highway than either my 1er or x5 prefer. I was totally OK cruising at 65-75 in this car, while in my 1er it feels slow below 80.

Maybe it is because of how high a bar Porsche reviews (both on here and in the car mags) sets expectations, but I really expected to be blown away by it. I wasn't. I found it comparable to my 1er. I think the engine in the 1er is a lot more tractable in normal driving, maybe I just like Clydesdale Horses more than Racing Thoroughbreds.

I'm very curious to check out a 718s with the turbo 4. Most likely a 991.2 Cab is the next car for us. A nicely optioned 981s isn't out of the question. I really did enjoy it, I just expected it to be more special.

I think it speaks to how good the 1er is/was, it is a shame there isn't more love for it.

rumatt
11-27-2019, 10:43 PM
Nice writeup.

Once you get used to low end torque it's hard to go back

Josh (PA)
11-29-2019, 08:28 AM
Its funny, I drove my 1er for the first time this morning since the 981... I guess I got used to the boxster, because things feel very different. I used to think the heights of the seat base to arm rest to shifter were all just right. Today I felt I like I was sitting up really high and the shifter was super tiny and way down low. I'm sure I'll adjust back, but you definitely get familiar with what your exposed to.

I did enjoy getting some low end torque back. I will agree that the P-Car steering feel is better, but the 1er isn't bad. Chassis control on the P-Car is the car's strong suit IMHO compared to everything else I've driven.

wdc330i
11-29-2019, 08:32 AM
Chassis control on the P-Car is the car's strong suit IMHO compared to everything else I've driven.

Yes, that’s really the key.