PDA

View Full Version : C/D reviews 2017 Civic Si

JST
05-30-2017, 09:54 AM
Civic Si? Sounds vaguely promising. Seems to fix what I liked least about previous Sis.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-honda-civic-si-first-drive-review?src=socialflowFB&mag=cdb&dom=fb

bren
05-30-2017, 10:00 AM
Seems to fix what I liked least about previous Sis.

The new one is RWD?

JST
05-30-2017, 10:03 AM
The new one is RWD?

Ha.

FWD I can live with. VTEC, yo? No.

bren
05-30-2017, 10:08 AM
What is going on with that rear bumper? Those giant black plastic "vents" are just dumb.

wdc330i
05-30-2017, 10:09 AM
What is going on with that rear bumper? Those giant black plastic "vents" are just dumb.

Pretty awful looking.

ff
05-30-2017, 10:19 AM
Very weird (to me) that heated front seats are standard.

Biggins
05-30-2017, 11:07 AM
It seems like a bargain for what it is. I like the styling because it's different, but I agree they could have done a lot better on the rear bumper.

I'm more annoyed at the silver/chrome trim at the top of the doors on the Si, but the Sport hatchback is still on my list of my next car. I could toss the LSD from the Si into it and a little tune, and it would be a pretty practical car that should still be fun.

bren
05-30-2017, 11:13 AM
It seems like a bargain for what it is. I like the styling because it's different, but I agree they could have done a lot better on the rear bumper.

I'm more annoyed at the silver/chrome trim at the top of the doors on the Si, but the Sport hatchback is still on my list of my next car. I could toss the LSD from the Si into it and a little tune, and it would be a pretty practical car that should still be fun.

Pretty sure you can buy a nice e46 wagon and have JV go through it for less than $25k. I see no set of circumstances that would have me buy something like this. :dunno:

Biggins
05-30-2017, 11:19 AM
Pretty sure you can buy a nice e36 wagon and have JV go through it for less than $25k. I see no set of circumstances that would have me buy something like this. :dunno:
Fixed it for you... still have to wait a few more years to import one though.

I'm a Honda fanboy :dunno:

I do think it's crazy that the sedan Si is almost 5 inches longer than our newer CR-V.

ff
05-30-2017, 11:22 AM
Pretty sure you can buy a nice e46 wagon and have JV go through it for less than $25k. I see no set of circumstances that would have me buy something like this. :dunno:

So you can, instead, own an 18-year old money pit? Does JV give you a 5/60,000 warranty?

bren
05-30-2017, 11:51 AM
So you can, instead, own an 18-year old money pit? Does JV give you a 5/60,000 warranty?

Money pit? How so? You can fix a lot of issues on a cheap older car for the cost of one or two car payments.

What's that Honda going to be worth in 5 years?

ff
05-30-2017, 12:29 PM
Money pit? How so? You can fix a lot of issues on a cheap older car for the cost of one or two car payments.

Define "issues". Can you have someone replace vanos, suspension bushings, and do a brake job for under $600?

Some people see value in having a fresh, fully-warrantied car that doesn't spend a lot of its time up on a lift. If they didn't, carmakers would never sell any new cars. :)

Different folks, different strokes.

bren
05-30-2017, 12:32 PM
Different folks, different strokes.

I see no set of circumstances that would have me buy something like this.
;)

ff
05-30-2017, 01:27 PM
You're just not cool enough to own a Civic Si (yo!) ;);)

Biggins
05-30-2017, 01:54 PM
I agree, but the little issues can pop up quite often on a 15 year old car that would be daily driven... I still like E46s, not as much as E36s, and I know they're awesome cars, but...

It's tough to find a '12-13 Civic Si in good condition/miles/etc. for under $13k. The Si variant holds its value very well.

If only the Type R would come in under $30k.

bren
05-30-2017, 02:22 PM

I drove a last gen civic si at an autox school (several years ago) and the shift knob came off in my hand. Dumb cars. :speechle:

John V
05-30-2017, 02:32 PM
The styling is atrocious. I bet it drives fine, in the way Hondas tend to. And it's lighter than the last generation model. As a kinda-enjoyable disposable commuter car, it makes perfect sense. I just don't understand why they had to make it so fucking ugly.

Jeff_DML
05-30-2017, 02:44 PM

yeah if I was 20 I might be interested :eeps::D

ff
05-30-2017, 03:01 PM
I drove a last gen civic si at an autox school (several years ago) and the shift knob came off in my hand. Dumb cars. :speechle:

You must have an exceptionally strong right hand. :eeps: :D

blee
05-30-2017, 09:46 PM
I think the last Civic Si I really liked was the '99ish version. In fact, I saw one the other day, and thought it might make a nice beater for my beater.

This new one? Sounds mechanically great, and it's cool that the US market will get something close to what Japan's been hiding from us for a while. But it's fugly.

equ
05-31-2017, 08:48 AM
The 06 to 12? Civic Si was pretty terrible on a test drive and from a design perspective. It would have to improve a lot, and the exterior is quite fugly to me. You'd have to be a Honda fanboi or a reliability wisher. That said, ff is spot on. I don't see how a 15yr old BMW is comparable to a new Honda even if they cost the same. Tavarish (jalopnik) logic... Why buy a Honda Accord when you can have this old rolls royce?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JST
05-31-2017, 10:30 AM
I think the last Civic Si I really liked was the '99ish version. In fact, I saw one the other day, and thought it might make a nice beater for my beater.

This new one? Sounds mechanically great, and it's cool that the US market will get something close to what Japan's been hiding from us for a while. But it's fugly.

The last Hondas I enjoyed were built in the late 90s early 00s. Clean styling, nice interiors...they were good cars. Everything since has kind of sucked.

This wouldn't tempt me away from a GTI on styling alone, but it's nice to see some options out there.

ff
05-31-2017, 12:35 PM
The last Hondas I enjoyed were built in the late 90s early 00s. Clean styling, nice interiors...they were good cars. Everything since has kind of sucked.

At least as far as the nice interiors go, the latest batch of Hondas have been back on-par with those older ones. Good materials, pleasing visual layout, etc.

clyde
05-31-2017, 11:12 PM
I was able to get past the ugliness of the RX-8. Not this. No matter how much ass it kicks. For what it is.