PDA

View Full Version : So I got a free CPO warranty... and volunteered to pay for it.

rumatt
05-03-2017, 08:25 AM
I got an interesting call yesterday about the Porsche warranty. Here's full story:

WHEN BUYING:
Them: You have 1 year CPO warranty. For $1900 you can extend it 2 additional years for a total of 3 years.
Me: I'll take it.

TWO DAYS LATER
Them: Sorry, we were mistaken. It's 2 years from the date of purchase.
Me: I don't want it. [$1900 was refunded to credit card]

2 WEEKS LATER
Them: "So, um. We originally checked the box to CPO your car and Porsche NA won't allow us to undo it at this point. So your car is certified for the next 2 years.
We have no bargaining power at all, other than to ask if you'd be willing to pay us $1,100, which is what Porsche NA charges us for this service. Would you be willing to pay us $1,100?"

I thought about it and decided to pay them $950. I was originally willing to pay $1900 for 2 years, or that rate pro-rated to 1 year. Their mistake ended up getting allowing me to pro-rated price, which was all I wanted from the beginning. But I refused to give him $1100 because I shouldn't be paying for their mistake.

I could have said "hahaha suckers" and kept a free warranty. Maybe I should have, ya know because dealers are evil and all? :dunno: But they were really great the whole process so I decided to do what felt fair. He's also paying $260 for my alignment at a nearby Porsche shop because of a steering wheel that is barely crooked.

rumatt
05-03-2017, 08:30 AM
Interesting takeaway: when you pay $1900 for a CPO warranty, $800 of that goes into the pockets of the local dealership. :ack: No wonder it's so expensive.

ZBB
05-03-2017, 08:35 AM
Porsche dealers play around with their CPO program too much…

When I bought my '08, the advertisement stated it was CPO. The dealer was in Tucson, so after negotiating price on the phone and getting an email confirmation of the price, I drove the 2 hours down from Phoenix on a Friday afternoon and bought the car.

But when signing the paperwork, there was nothing related to the CPO warranty -- so I asked. They were trying to drop the CPO without telling me, so I said that's not how the car was advertised -- and no deal. They wrote in the CPO at $0 on the make good slip and I drove the car home that night. But I still had to follow up to make sure it was added to the car and paperwork sent to me (took about 10 days and 2 phone calls…).

rumatt
05-03-2017, 08:38 AM
Whoa. That just sounds like a shady dealership though, no? That would have really pissed me off.

ZBB
05-03-2017, 08:44 AM
Whoa. That just sounds like a shady dealership though, no? That would have really pissed me off.

An actual Porsche dealer too…

I think they were trying to make back part of the price negotiation and hoped I wouldn't notice.

bren
05-03-2017, 08:48 AM
He's also paying $260 for my alignment at a nearby Porsche shop because of a steering wheel that is barely crooked.

Shouldn't that have been caught in the CPO certification process anyway? ;)

rumatt
05-03-2017, 08:52 AM
Shouldn't that have been caught in the CPO certification process anyway? ;)
Yeah it should have. I'm not really getting anything extra.

But I do get to check the alignment and customize it however I want. And he was cool about it. It was just nice to try to see them do the right thing without any arguing. I guess that goes a long way.

wdc330i
05-03-2017, 09:13 AM
Yeah it should have. I'm not really getting anything extra.

But I do get to check the alignment and customize it however I want. And he was cool about it. It was just nice to try to see them do the right thing without any arguing. I guess that goes a long way.

Given their reliance on Rennlist to get the word out about their cars, I imagine they are savvy about "word-of-mouth" on the internet...

ff
05-03-2017, 10:48 AM
Dealers usually are slimy and evil. But paying them [the reduced price] for the warranty was the right thing to do. :cool:

kognito
05-03-2017, 03:38 PM
Real bummer is that they will probably just make up this loss in their next sale (or already have)

Alan
05-03-2017, 07:45 PM
I absolutely think you did the right thing and got a good deal on top of it !!

equ
05-04-2017, 12:07 AM
I think you did the right thing. Life is not about squeezing every last dollar. You got an awesome hard-to-find car in excellent condition with a warranty. What more?

Plaz
05-04-2017, 08:39 AM
Agree, right thing. Not being a douchebag when you have the opportunity, even to douchebags, is good for you.

lemming
05-05-2017, 08:34 AM
dealership markup on anything that transpires at the F&I desk is like anything else. it's where they make most of their money, per transaction.

FC
05-05-2017, 10:02 AM
Agree, right thing. Not being a douchebag when you have the opportunity, even to douchebags, is good for you.

:+1

You are a better person than I thought, 'matt.

;)::D

rumatt
05-05-2017, 09:42 PM
:+1

You are a better person than I thought, 'matt.

;)::D
:lol: