PDA

View Full Version : 2017 330i loaner

Theo
03-29-2017, 09:40 AM
So with the M5 in the shop since last Thursday getting everything up to snuff for the sale the dealer gave me a 2017 330i. When he first told me this on the phone I had visions of an old E46 he found for me somehow.

I get there and it is a brand new 2017 with only around 600 miles on it. So now I guess the two turbo four's are the 320i and the 330i and the Turbo six is the 340i.

A few comments.

- This thing is peppy as hell. I never wanted for more power in normal driving. In sport + the thing gets out of the hole very well and holds gears for very enjoyable driving.

- I HATE the sounds it makes. As I said in the other thread the sound the car makes is a big part of my personal driving enjoyment. (Another main reason for wanting the V8 M3). This thing sounds like your moms Accord. YUK!!

- It has the sport pkg and I don't know what all the fuss about the steering is. Maybe they did something to it recently but its not all that bad. I could be jaded coming for the already light RB steering in the E39 but I still thought it was pretty well weighted.

- Where did the solid BMW "thunk" go? You close the doors on this thing and it's almost like a tin can sound. My "old" E39 has that solid "thunk" when you shut the door. Cost cutting?

- The latest gen iDrive takes a minute to get used to but is then pretty darn neat and intuitive.

- The sport pkg seats are super comfortable. I could sit in these seats all day. They might be a little confining for a larger person but my 5/10 175lbs frame fits like a glove.

In conclusion I am really curious to drive a 340i/240i 6spd and see how the Turbo six adds to the likes above.

bren
03-29-2017, 10:02 AM
Our x3 with the turbo 6 makes better sounds than the 4cyl, though they aren't necessarily enjoyable. It does some popping and gurgling stuff at WOT gear changes, and when you first start it that's sort of "neat" I guess.

Josh (PA)
03-29-2017, 10:16 AM
IMO, the N55 if a very pleasant engine and the torquiness / power delivery may be more to your liking than the high strung V8 in the M3. When I went from my e39 to my e90 335 xdrive, power / acceleration was one area where I was pleasantly surprised, there wasn't much of a drop off from the s62 and ability to put power to the ground was much better (combination of x drive and vastly improved traction control). If the back seat of the e90 wasn't too small and the suspension of the x-drive cars so distinctly awful, it would have been a great transition car from the m5.

I like the sound of the N55 at WOT with my top down. I often go looking for railroad tunnels and underpasses around here.

The new B58 is supposed to be better than the N55 in just about every way.

I found the n20 to not be anywhere near as nice as the n55, and I assume the new 4 cyl is shit compared to the 6 cyl in terms of NHV type issues. Power was good, but excitement was not. I also agree the new 3er doesn't feel as substantial as old BMWs.

In short, if you miss your e36 M3C at all, I would again throw the 1er/2er 'verts into your list of cars to check out before jumping on the e90 m3.

Theo
03-29-2017, 10:48 AM
Josh I have always liked the idea behind the 135i. I even had a deposit down prior to release the first year they came out. When I finally saw it in person and to this very day I cannot get over the looks. Its a personal thing I know.

If they did not have that melted lower door area I probably would have bought one.

I like the looks of the 2 a lot better but if I went with a used 235i I would always be wanting the M2 and that car is two new to be in the price range I want.

I am not dead set on the V8 M3, I am driving a 2013 comp pkg coupe the dealer has this weekend, but I have not found something else that excites me this much in my price range.

Since I have yet to actually drive an E9x M3 I may come away hating it. We will see this weekend.

wdc330i
03-29-2017, 11:07 AM
The B58 is an incredibly smooth, FAST, lag-free engine. (Impressive fuel efficiency, too.) But some folks say they miss the power curve of the N55. I don't know personally, because I had the N52 engine in my E91--and only occasionally drove N55 loaners.

So, a 235i might be not only a great deal, but a more satisfying transition car. Or an F-whatever 435i, 335i, etc.

With the 2, I think you might miss some of the feeling of luxury you got in the M5. That might help make the E90 M3 a better choice.

Although the 2 series is back to the E46 proper placement of cupholders in the center console ;)

Josh (PA)
03-29-2017, 11:12 AM
Josh I have always liked the idea behind the 135i. I even had a deposit down prior to release the first year they came out. When I finally saw it in person and to this very day I cannot get over the looks. Its a personal thing I know.

If they did not have that melted lower door area I probably would have bought one.

I like the looks of the 2 a lot better but if I went with a used 235i I would always be wanting the M2 and that car is two new to be in the price range I want.

I am not dead set on the V8 M3, I am driving a 2013 comp pkg coupe the dealer has this weekend, but I have not found something else that excites me this much in my price range.

Since I have yet to actually drive an E9x M3 I may come away hating it. We will see this weekend.

Cool, I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on the 2013. I have only driven an e93 M3 (convertible). I didn't love it, but it was a short salesman chaperoned experience, so not very telling.

I'd only consider the 1/2 if you want something with a soft top. I understand what you're saying re: the M2, but since you can get as a convertible (unfortunately), at least buyers remorse would be lessened with a 235 / 240. Everything WDC has posted about her enjoyment of her new 2er is spot on with my experience w/ my 1.

Theo
03-29-2017, 11:18 AM
Although the 2 series is back to the E46 proper placement of cupholders in the center console ;)

wd thanks for the comments and suggestions. I have also heard great things about the B58 but basically all the newer models are out as I want to buy not lease and I have a price point in mind. Otherwise I would get a new C63s coupe. =)

I also agree on the newer cup holders. My 330i loaner has them as well.

I have a custom metal folding cup holder in the E39 that hides in the center storage unit in the counsel. It was a little pricy but I use it every day.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/122384872977?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Like I said if I hate the E92 test drive this weekend I don't know what I am going to look at next.

wdc330i
03-29-2017, 12:14 PM
wd thanks for the comments and suggestions. I have also heard great things about the B58 but basically all the newer models are out as I want to buy not lease and I have a price point in mind. Otherwise I would get a new C63s coupe. =)

I also agree on the newer cup holders. My 330i loaner has them as well.

I have a custom metal folding cup holder in the E39 that hides in the center storage unit in the counsel. It was a little pricy but I use it every day.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/122384872977?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Like I said if I hate the E92 test drive this weekend I don't know what I am going to look at next.

Another option to keep in mind if you don't like the power delivery of the NA V8 is the 335is. There are more of those around than you might imagine, and they are a decent value at this point.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourc eContext=carGurusHomePage_false_0&formSourceTag=112&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c23157&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=c23512&zip=30033&distance=50000&searchChanged=true&trimNames=335is+Coupe&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true#listing=148400022

Theo
03-29-2017, 12:24 PM
Another option to keep in mind if you don't like the power delivery of the NA V8 is the 335is. There are more of those around than you might imagine, and they are a decent value at this point.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourc eContext=carGurusHomePage_false_0&formSourceTag=112&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c23157&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=c23512&zip=30033&distance=50000&searchChanged=true&trimNames=335is+Coupe&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true#listing=148400022

Thanks for reminding me of those. I am interested. I have seen a few in the wild and the sports exhaust they install on those sounds amazing. I also really dig the optional 19's like on the one you posted. Food for thought.

wdc330i
03-29-2017, 12:28 PM
Thanks for reminding me of those. I am interested. I have seen a few in the wild and the sports exhaust they install on those sounds amazing. I also really dig the optional 19's like on the one you posted. Food for thought.

Yes. Lots of upgrades over the straight-up 335i. From Wiki: 335is (2011–2013)
"The 335is was produced in coupé and convertible models for the North American market. It sat between the regular 335i and the M3 in the model line-up, and approximately 6,300 units were produced. The 335is uses a higher performance version (N54T) of the N54 engine from the 2006-2013 335i, which increases boost from 8.7 to 11.6 PSI.[29] This results in 335 horsepower and 332 lb-ft of torque, plus an overboost function raises torque to 370 lb-ft for up to 7 seconds.
The 335is has stiffer engine mounts and an upgraded cooling system, with a heavy-duty radiator fan and two heat exchangers, one an engine oil cooler, the other a secondary coolant radiator. To accommodate these heat exchangers, which are located ahead of each front wheel, the 335is has larger air openings, similar to the M3. Fog lights were removed from the coupé version to allow for the openings, although they remain on the convertible version. In addition, the 335is is equipped with a revised, high-flow exhaust system, with the twin exhaust pipes finished in matte black, and a rear bumper that incorporates a diffuser-style piece.
Transmission options were a 7-speed double clutch transmission (DCT) with launch control (Same DCT transmission as the M3 but with different software programming) or a 6-speed manual transmission controlled by a short-throw "M" stick. The manual transmission has a heavy-duty clutch with more holding power than the regular 335i.
Interior upgrades include a thicker, "M" steering wheel, "M" steel pedals, standard sport seats, "M" door sills, and textured aluminum trim with "335is" badging on dash and in instrument cluster.[30][31] Exterior differences are black kidney grills, and "Style 313" split-five spoke "M" wheels in 18-inch or 19-inch size."

http://www.bmwofpeoria.com/used/BMW/2013-BMW-335is+Coupe-afdc14eb0a0e0adf3843aba0b14e078f.htm

EDIT: Weird about the fog lights. That might be a deal breaker, given where you live. Unless you get the convertible.

Theo
03-29-2017, 12:29 PM
Yes. Lots of upgrades over the straight-up 335i.

http://www.bmwofpeoria.com/used/BMW/2013-BMW-335is+Coupe-afdc14eb0a0e0adf3843aba0b14e078f.htm

And WAY below my price point. Not a bad thing.

Josh (PA)
03-29-2017, 01:00 PM
N54 though. Maybe they worked out the issues by the end of the e9x run, but if you thought the maintenance list on your M5 was bad, my experience w/ the N54 was waaaayyyy worse.

Plaz
03-29-2017, 01:08 PM

N54 though. Maybe they worked out the issues by the end of the e9x run, but if you thought the maintenance list on your M5 was bad, my experience w/ the N54 was waaaayyyy worse.

FWIW, the 335is engine is the same N54 variant that's in the 1M. Mine's been absolutely flawless over 72,000 + miles. :dunno:

Theo
03-29-2017, 01:11 PM
72,000 + miles

JESUS - You will pass my 03 mileage if I kept it another year.

Jeff_DML
03-29-2017, 01:33 PM
JESUS - You will pass my 03 mileage if I kept it another year.

he is killing the resale value;) Doesn’t he know cars are a investment. Should be sitting in a climate controlled garage like all the 911 GT cars

Alan
03-29-2017, 01:42 PM
Nice review of the 330 ... I always really liked the 3 series and liked the steering as well though I know I'm in the minority here.

I haven't driven a 330 or 340 but I have driven the 328 a number of times and think the power is more than plenty. These 4 Cylinder turbo's are really fast nowadays ...

If a manual is one of your requirements you might want to consider an S5 coupe with the 8 cylinder engine.

Theo
03-29-2017, 01:58 PM
If a manual is one of your requirements you might want to consider an S5 coupe with the 8 cylinder engine.

I do like those but from all I have read the 335is of the same year blows it away. The 340hp S5 motor feels just as tame there as in the V8 S4's.

lemming
03-29-2017, 02:15 PM
I do like those but from all I have read the 335is of the same year blows it away. The 340hp S5 motor feels just as tame there as in the V8 S4's.

hi.

E92 M3 -- i've driven the F80 (?) M3 now and it's a beast. it's wickedly fast. but it sounds....it's not as engaging. how's that?

I think the S65 is soft in the low range, but honestly, it sounds great midrange to top end. and if it matters to you, it's one of the last handbuilt M motors.

Theo
03-29-2017, 02:54 PM
hi.

E92 M3 -- i've driven the F80 (?) M3 now and it's a beast. it's wickedly fast. but it sounds....it's not as engaging. how's that?

I think the S65 is soft in the low range, but honestly, it sounds great midrange to top end. and if it matters to you, it's one of the last handbuilt M motors.

The F80 is not in my current target price range and honestly I don't like it.

I'll report back on the E9x M3 impressions after I test drive it this weekend. You all are getting me worried with all this crappy low end talk. My M5 definitely does not have that issue.

Nick M3
03-29-2017, 02:57 PM
The F80 is not in my current target price range and honestly I don't like it.

I'll report back on the E9x M3 impressions after I test drive it this weekend. You all are getting me worried with all this crappy low end talk. My M5 definitely does not have that issue.
Make sure you play with the throttle settings. The standard throttle pedal setting makes it feel a lot less repsonsive.

Theo
03-29-2017, 03:05 PM
Make sure you play with the throttle settings. The standard throttle pedal setting makes it feel a lot less repsonsive.

Good to know. Is buried in the iDrive settings somewhere?

I know the single sport button on the M5 makes the throttle a little jumpy.

Nick M3
03-29-2017, 03:37 PM

Hit the Power button on the center console. IIRC, there are two steps. I like the first. It's not jumpy like the E46 M3/E39 M5 Sport mode were.

Jeff_DML
03-29-2017, 03:39 PM

I thought it was next to the shifter but could be wrong(see nick said yes). You probably want to check out the settings in i-drive anyhow. You can setup the M button to configure the suspension(EDC equipped), throttle and stability(set to the middle setting at least).

Edit: Are you gettting a stick or automatic? Lack of low end for a NA V8 didnt bug me that much with a stick. I can see it being annoying with a automatic when you want to jam the throttle and get response. With a stick you downshift and problem solved, part of the fun:) Of course I can kind of like laggy turbos for the same reason.

Theo
03-29-2017, 03:43 PM
Edit: Are you gettting a stick or automatic? Lack of low end for a NA V8 didnt bug me that much with a stick. I can see it being annoying with a automatic when you want to jam the throttle and get response. With a stick you downshift and problem solved, part of the fun:) Of course I can kind of like laggy turbos for the same reason.

Mostly looking for a stick but in the final years for the sedan-12/coupe-13 they seem to be pretty hard to find.

Jeff_DML
03-29-2017, 04:00 PM
Mostly looking for a stick but in the final years for the sedan-12/coupe-13 they seem to be pretty hard to find.

what no sedan, assuming it would be coming from a m5

Theo
03-29-2017, 04:03 PM
what no sedan, assuming it would be coming from a m5

See fixed in bold above. I am looking for either. I don't have more then 2 people in my car enough to really care. If a coupe comes up in the color/options I want I will take it.

FC
03-29-2017, 04:45 PM
hi.

The ZCP on the F80 is supposedly a big improvement on sound and to many, by itself worth the price.

Alan
03-29-2017, 05:42 PM
The ZCP on the F80 is supposedly a big improvement on sound and to many, by itself worth the price.

Are you talking about the competition package ? Sorry all these codes get confusing ...

lemming
03-29-2017, 07:01 PM

Big improvement?
Sound is all subjective. Objectively the new M3 is much, much faster.

It just did nothing for me.

It's also a very big vehicle.

Its so underwhelming that I'm looking at the M5. Just because if I'm going to go soulless, numb and big, I might as well have something that sounds cool.

FC
03-29-2017, 07:22 PM
Are you talking about the competition package ? Sorry all these codes get confusing ...

Yes. ZCP has always been the comp pkg back to E46 days.

lemming
03-31-2017, 08:25 AM

i sold the 996 C4S (few months back)

i bought an E92 M3 6sp manual for daily driver with an extended (BMWNA) warranty. It seems fine as a daily driver.

i wouldn't hesitate at all if you're on the fence. an e46 is a more pure car, but it's just a lot to take on when a lot of other things take priority. i just could not warm up to the f80. too synthetic, like a BMW mailing it in.

the e92 is a lead sled, but i'm going into this with exceptional low expectations.

lemming
03-31-2017, 08:26 AM

i bought an E92 M3 6sp manual for daily driver with an extended (BMWNA) warranty. It seems fine as a daily driver.

i wouldn't hesitate at all if you're on the fence. an e46 is a more pure car, but it's just a lot to take on when a lot of other things take priority. i just could not warm up to the f80. too synthetic, like a BMW mailing it in.

the e92 is a lead sled, but i'm going into this with exceptional low expectations.

and now.....I can obsess for months about trying to find a 996 or 997 GT3.....

bren
03-31-2017, 08:30 AM
and now.....I can obsess for months about trying to find a 996 or 997 GT3.....

This sounds like a solid plan. :)

Jeff_DML
03-31-2017, 10:53 AM
This sounds like a solid plan. :)

:+1

Also did I miss a thread for the 996 to m3?

wdc330i
03-31-2017, 11:46 AM
:+1

Also did I miss a thread for the 996 to m3?

I know I did, if there was one.

Theo
03-31-2017, 12:55 PM

Ohhhhh nice. More impressions on it please.

lemming
03-31-2017, 01:47 PM

will do --later on. what are you interested in, specifically?

lemming
04-01-2017, 09:10 AM

so, the m3 feels soft in the low range and this is slightly exacerbated by the portliness of the car. especially compared to a 996 C4S which is an altogether lighter car. the steering of the m3 is also comparatively worse. but the 996 (and 987 for that matter) probably not good benchmarks. BMW steering feel has not been the same since the e36m3 (that most of us owned).

a 996 does not feel soft off the line and has okay midrange power. it also goes to the redline pretty decently. the newer Porsche engines do this even better.....

but the S65 sounds so much better. and it is insane that it can run all the way to 8000+ rpms. the induction sound is not only real, but it's a V8. in the 3000-5000rpm range, it's really fun.

given the weight and the size, the one notable good thing is that the rear seats really can fit full sized adults without a lot of difficulty (something that I could not say for the 911 or an RS5).

the clutch is really light. the shifter is less mechanical than the riflebolt action on a Porsche these days. it has the gooey and notchiness of ZF transmissions. it does not like rushed shifts. but if you are an adult and shift smoothly, everything is like butter.

i think the car in stock form has pretty soft springs and the dampers are okay. not too stiff. I skipped EDC because the out of warranty cost is prohibitive. i also skipped DCT because as well as it shifts, that is also an expensive proposition out of warranty. by definition, there are two clutches and the transmissions are never repaired. they are only replaced.

there is a hypothetical issue with premature bearing wear for the engine. :dunno:

the car also eats oil as a normal routine thing. about 1 quart every 1200mi with 'normal' driving. fuel economy is a laugher. but the highway mileage is not significantly worse than the 996 C4S. in the city, it's abysmal.

i think the car never lets you forget how heavy it is. but it's well made and for now the extended warranty really allays any true concerns.

it's really fun. and sadly, hard to find a car this engaging from BMW anymore. as everyone says, perhaps the M2? the M2 is no lightweight either, but has a lot more midrange punch. if we are diving into subjectivity, the 1M or the E92 M3 will still be slightly more interesting cars. but the M2 is the best proposition new.

if you are coming from the e39m5, i think you will like the e92m3. the lack of torque will be noticeable though. let's see how this high strung engine thing goes. maybe it's good training wheels for the GT3 experience? but it is the antithesis of day to day useful torque and driveability.

Theo
04-01-2017, 03:00 PM
EXCELLENT write up. Thanks so much.

I did get to drive the 2013 DTC Comp pkg coupe they had on the lot when I picked up my car yesterday. I'll post my impressions in a bit. Much The same as your review though.

I'll just say for now that I'm NOT considering the DTC anymore. I did not like it at all!

This will make my search more difficult. I need to find a stick to drive.

Btw I loved getting back in my car. Ugh

Josh (PA)
04-01-2017, 03:20 PM
what's your budget? You should start a find Theo a car thread. I love virtually shopping for everyone else on this board.

I already started:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1361603

FC
04-01-2017, 05:44 PM
That looks awesome. Even I am tempted.

side note... e90 interior is starting to look dated (and was never great). Also, compared to F80 (esp w/ full leather), the E90 M3 has a lot of plastic.

Nick M3
04-01-2017, 06:22 PM
what's your budget? You should start a find Theo a car thread. I love virtually shopping for everyone else on this board.

I already started:
Feel free to shop for me. Manual, sedan, ABSOLUTELY NO NAV, and I'll consider any color that's not Silverstone or black. I'm price sensitive, so an '08 is OK.

lemming
04-01-2017, 07:28 PM

I already started:

That's a nice car. I looked for a 4 door 6sp. Nothing.

But white in that combination would have been ideal for me.

Josh (PA)
04-01-2017, 08:13 PM
Feel free to shop for me. Manual, sedan, ABSOLUTELY NO NAV, and I'll consider any color that's not Silverstone or black. I'm price sensitive, so an '08 is OK.

Well there's this one:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1301465

Price is stupid and mods are horrendous, but.... It is a low mile 2011, cloth interior, slick top with no nav. Seems like the perfect shell for you. But again, price is stupid, +$10k stupid.

Edit: and here's another great one for Theo:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1351635

Edit again: Nick, why wouldn't you just buy Theo's M5? You like the S62, the e39 is a wonderful sedan w/ a near perfect interior. Even w/ Nav, all the buttons are there for climate control and radio. A great one is $20k

Nick M3
04-01-2017, 08:41 PM
Well there's this one:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1301465

Price is stupid and mods are horrendous, but.... It is a low mile 2011, cloth interior, slick top with no nav. Seems like the perfect shell for you. But again, price is stupid, +$10k stupid.

Edit: and here's another great one for Theo:

Edit again: Nick, why wouldn't you just buy Theo's M5? You like the S62, the e39 is a wonderful sedan w/ a near perfect interior. Even w/ Nav, all the buttons are there for climate control and radio. A great one is $20k
Because I can't fucking stand the steering, or I'd have bought Mike's.

lemming
04-01-2017, 09:04 PM
Because I can't fucking stand the steering, or I'd have bought Mike's.

Wait -- you think the e39m5 steering is not tolerable. But is the e90 era M3 tolerable?

Theo
04-02-2017, 05:22 AM
I love my car. Ugh

Nick M3
04-02-2017, 07:34 AM
Wait -- you think the e39m5 steering is not tolerable. But is the e90 era M3 tolerable?
The E39 M5 steering is intolerable to me. Its numb, vague, and judders over bumps. Like my truck. Because it's the same.

I'd buy an I6 E39 over an M5.

wdc330i
04-03-2017, 01:25 PM
Not a stick, but otherwise interesting: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=899680

Josh (PA)
04-03-2017, 01:28 PM
Not a stick, but otherwise interesting: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=899680

The transmission eliminates it from consideration :mad2:

Theo
04-03-2017, 01:41 PM
And the last post by the seller was over a year ago.

wdc330i
04-03-2017, 02:02 PM
And the last post by the seller was over a year ago.

oops. I think the whole Panjo takeover of the Bimmerfest classifieds has killed that venue for selling cars. I did not even post my wagon on the site.

Josh (PA)
04-03-2017, 02:31 PM
Here's an interesting one for you Nick: '08 no nav, clean carfax, 68k miles, $26K. On snows right now, but one of the pics shows the summers in the trunk / back seat :dummo:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=447400488&zip=19087&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D19087%26showcas eOwnerId%3D68787329%26startYear%3D2008%26sortBy%3D derivedpriceDESC%26vehicleStyleCodes%3DSEDAN%26inc remental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26endYear%3D2012% 26modelCodeList%3DM3%26makeCodeList%3DBMW%26search Radius%3D300%26transmissionCodes%3DMAN&startYear=2008&numRecords=25&vehicleStyleCodes=SEDAN&firstRecord=0&endYear=2012&modelCodeList=M3&makeCodeList=BMW&searchRadius=300&makeCode1=BMW&modelCode1=M3

Nick M3
04-03-2017, 02:52 PM
Here's an interesting one for you Nick: '08 no nav, clean carfax, 68k miles, $26K. On snows right now, but one of the pics shows the summers in the trunk / back seat :dummo:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=447400488&zip=19087&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D19087%26showcas eOwnerId%3D68787329%26startYear%3D2008%26sortBy%3D derivedpriceDESC%26vehicleStyleCodes%3DSEDAN%26inc remental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26endYear%3D2012% 26modelCodeList%3DM3%26makeCodeList%3DBMW%26search Radius%3D300%26transmissionCodes%3DMAN&startYear=2008&numRecords=25&vehicleStyleCodes=SEDAN&firstRecord=0&endYear=2012&modelCodeList=M3&makeCodeList=BMW&searchRadius=300&makeCode1=BMW&modelCode1=M3
Hmm.

Josh (PA)
04-03-2017, 02:52 PM
Theo, here's a interesting option for cheap.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1354399

bren
04-03-2017, 03:02 PM
Theo, here's a interesting option for cheap.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1354399

Monthly Payment: $750.00
:eek:

Josh (PA)
04-03-2017, 03:11 PM
:eek:

$408 when you factor in seller provided cash ($4k) and returned MSDs ($5250) at end of lease

wdc330i
04-03-2017, 04:28 PM
$408 when you factor in seller provided cash ($4k) and returned MSDs ($5250) at end of lease

I guess the question is why did he move to a 1M? And maybe Theo should just cut to that chase.

Edit: Looks like EAG is collecting M2s: http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?form_request=56&action=results&showres=1&1268_0=16&selLevel_1268B0D=1&selLevel_1268B1D=16&1574_0=1

lemming
04-04-2017, 06:23 AM
I guess the question is why did he move to a 1M? And maybe Theo should just cut to that chase.

Edit: Looks like EAG is collecting M2s: http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?form_request=56&action=results&showres=1&1268_0=16&selLevel_1268B0D=1&selLevel_1268B1D=16&1574_0=1

Thanks. I really (didn't) need this distraction!

Theo
04-04-2017, 07:51 AM
Jesus that's where all the E90 M3 sedans are. No wonder I can't find one.

And where did they get all the limerock editions.

Josh (PA)
04-04-2017, 09:31 AM
http://enthusiastauto.com/images/cars2/5372/P-5372-1.jpg

Theo, use this EAG pic to prove that yours is indeed Blue

Theo
04-04-2017, 11:06 AM
LOL!!! Yup that's Carbon BLACK.

Thanks Josh.

Theo
04-04-2017, 11:09 AM
So does EAG have employees out there paying cash and grabbing all of the good inventory for sale before any private buyer has a chance?

It's like all of the property investment company's paying cash for places and beating first time home owners to the punch then turning around and selling them for more. =\

Jeff_DML
04-04-2017, 11:29 AM
So does EAG have employees out there paying cash and grabbing all of the good inventory for sale before any private buyer has a chance?

It's like all of the property investment company's paying cash for places and beating first time home owners to the punch then turning around and selling them for more. =\

yes they are.

When I had my e36 m3 and was on the forums for it there were cases of clean e36 m3 popping up on craiglists that would be swooped up by EAG.

Theo
04-04-2017, 11:37 AM
So should I assume that whatever inventory IS out there has already been assessed by them and has something "wrong" with it?

Edit: I have even seen them bid on BAT. They did not bid on that E34 M5 with super low miles because of one "possible" door repaint issue. Weird

wdc330i
04-04-2017, 12:33 PM
So should I assume that whatever inventory IS out there has already been assessed by them and has something "wrong" with it?

Edit: I have even seen them bid on BAT. They did not bid on that E34 M5 with super low miles because of one "possible" door repaint issue. Weird

I'm sure there's a sweet spot in what they're looking for, that perhaps you can avoid.

wdc330i
04-04-2017, 01:18 PM
2008 M3 sedan: https://www.bmwcca.org/ads/140901

Theo
04-04-2017, 01:20 PM

Thanks but mostly looking for last year manual sedan-2012/coupe-2013.

You know, the E9x unicorns.

I might be looking for awhile. It took me almost 10 months of looking to find my current M5 in 08. We will see.

Plaz
04-04-2017, 01:22 PM

iDrive deleted at factory?

Why? Seems silly.

I wonder what settings and options are unavailable as a result.

wdc330i
04-04-2017, 01:26 PM

Why? Seems silly.

Definitely weird.

2008 M5 with 8,500 miles--pricey, though: https://www.bmwcca.org/ads/139681

Nick M3
04-04-2017, 01:36 PM

Why? Seems silly.

It means no navigation. Would be pretty interesting if it was $10k cheaper. I'm willing to take an '08 because I'm price sensitive, so almost $40k for one isn't going to fly. :p

I suspect that EAG avoids the '08s, though. Luckily, on the E90, all you need to do is swap the trunk lid and tail lights to convert to an LCI exterior. And the CIC "upgrade" is irrelevant because they both suck and I won't have them.

Theo
04-04-2017, 01:43 PM
Would be pretty interesting if it was $10k cheaper. I'm willing to take an '08 because I'm price sensitive, so almost $40k for one isn't going to fly. :p

And you already have like 20 cars. =P

SARAFIL
04-04-2017, 01:48 PM

Why? Seems silly.

Guessing that is just an elaborate way of saying they order a car without Nav. It wasn't standard in the E9x M3 but most did have it.

bren
04-04-2017, 01:58 PM
And you already have like 20 cars. =P

:lol:

Plaz
04-04-2017, 02:16 PM

Why? Seems silly.

It means no navigation. Would be pretty interesting if it was $10k cheaper. I'm willing to take an '08 because I'm price sensitive, so almost $40k for one isn't going to fly. :p

I suspect that EAG avoids the '08s, though. Luckily, on the E90, all you need to do is swap the trunk lid and tail lights to convert to an LCI exterior. And the CIC "upgrade" is irrelevant because they both suck and I won't have them.

Guessing that is just an elaborate way of saying they order a car without Nav. It wasn't standard in the E9x M3 but most did have it.

Ahh, that makes sense. I should have read what it meant, not what it said.

John V
04-04-2017, 02:53 PM
Wait. It's possible to get an E90 M3 without iDrive? Or just without Nav?

Built-in nav makes zero sense to me but I don't really care if the car has it (I'll ignore it). iDrive can't be ignored.

Nick M3
04-04-2017, 02:55 PM

Built-in nav makes zero sense to me but I don't really care if the car has it (I'll ignore it). iDrive can't be ignored.
iDrive is an inescapable component of Navigation.

bren
04-04-2017, 02:56 PM

Yes.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=737062&d=1345353708

Jeff_DML
04-04-2017, 03:04 PM

That is my ideal build(minus color) but yeah not $38k worth, I would offer him low 30s and see if he would bite.

So since no Nav then 08 doesnt matter since it does not have the crappier i-drive. All the mechanicals are the same if I remember correctly. Rear tailights are not ideal but I like the look of the upraded ones I had installed on my 08.

John V
04-04-2017, 03:06 PM
I did not need to know this.

Josh (PA)
04-04-2017, 03:30 PM
seriously, did none of you click on this link above:

Here's an interesting one for you Nick: '08 no nav, clean carfax, 68k miles, $26K. On snows right now, but one of the pics shows the summers in the trunk / back seat :dunno:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...&modelCode1=M3

bren
04-04-2017, 03:35 PM
That is my ideal build(minus color) but yeah not $38k worth, I would offer him low 30s and see if he would bite.

So since no Nav then 08 doesnt matter since it does not have the crappier i-drive. All the mechanicals are the same if I remember correctly. Rear tailights are not ideal but I like the look of the upraded ones I had installed on my 08.

Is that Stuka's car?

It seems that price is pretty much the range where they've stalled. At least the few (alpine w/cloth seats) that I've pondered semi-regularly.

Link is dead. And no cloth, no care. :p

Nick M3
04-04-2017, 03:38 PM

I did click on it, and then forgot to comment. It's interesting, but a long way away.

Jeff_DML
04-04-2017, 04:14 PM

I looked at it, scary looking dealer and random wheels made me skip. Fan of cloth too.

Nick M3
04-04-2017, 04:41 PM
I looked at it, scary looking dealer and random wheels made me skip. Fan of cloth too.
Well, as noted, the stock wheels are in the back seat.

The downside is that we know it was driven a lot in the snow in upstate NY. Having watched the effect of that on Mike's old E39, I can't help wondering what hidden horrors await.

Theo
04-04-2017, 04:57 PM
Having watched the effect of that on Mike's old E39, I can't help wondering what hidden horrors await.

Doesn't he also have a Carbon M5? Was there rust?

Nick M3
04-04-2017, 05:30 PM
Doesn't he also have a Carbon M5? Was there rust?
The rusty E39 was the 528iT (3.0 swap) that he sold to his brother who lived in upstate NY at the time. The M5 was rust free, while the Touring is currently falling apart (all doors are rusty, rocker panels are rusty, issues in the floor pan, etc.).

And he sold the M5 a little while ago for an E90 335i M-Sport.

SARAFIL
04-04-2017, 10:21 PM
Non-nav E9x M3 are rare but they do exist. And non-nav on E9x meant no iDrive.

I generally consider nav a must at this point when leasing new BMWs, but agree if I was buying one 5-6 years later it would be nice to not have the antique computer in the dash. I've kicked around the idea of getting one of these in a year or two and it would be nice to find a non-nav car at that point.

Josh (PA)
04-06-2017, 01:37 PM
Here's a southern cal 4 door w/ nice spec for Theo
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/6037434763.html

And an '09 cloth / slick top for Nick and the other non-nav shoppers:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1371498

Jeff_DML
04-06-2017, 01:51 PM
Here's a southern cal 4 door w/ nice spec for Theo
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/6037434763.html

way too expensive for the amount of miles, IMHO

Jeff_DML
04-06-2017, 01:52 PM
And an '09 cloth / slick top for Nick and the other non-nav shoppers:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1371498

-zero track time

-manually adjustable recaro sportster CS pair of seats with Macht Schnell mounting gear (alcantara and vinyl)

:?

Sent to me cousin since slicktop so I think he will fit

Theo
04-06-2017, 01:55 PM
way too expensive for the amount of miles, IMHO

Way to many miles but yes it does check all the right boxes!!

I don't like the hokey lower front splinters either.

Josh (PA)
04-06-2017, 02:06 PM
Way to many miles but yes it does check all the right boxes!!

I don't like the hokey lower front splinters either.

This is my favorite one i've seen by far.

Theo
04-06-2017, 02:12 PM

This is my favorite one i've seen by far.

That is nice! Has the carbon trim I like and I'm not opposed to the black interior. But my god that's a boring color.

Jeff_DML
04-06-2017, 02:34 PM
sorry if I missed it but what are your requirements Theo, 6MT loaded 09+?

Jeff_DML
04-06-2017, 02:37 PM
one of you guys should of bought one my m3's :eeps:

Theo
04-06-2017, 02:57 PM
2012 - 2013 6spd lemans or Jeraz sedan or coupe.

Preferably with Comp pkg and either wood or carbon trim. The dash is so flat and boring that it needs some pop the metal trim does not provide.

Mileage under 40k. I drive less then 6k a year but I don't want to start with more than 40.

And lastly I would really like to stay around 40ish. For the perfect one I could see up to maybe 44.

The rest is negoshable.

Unicorn??

Josh (PA)
04-06-2017, 03:06 PM

Preferably with Comp pkg and either wood or carbon trim. The dash is so flat and boring that it needs some pop the metal trim does not provide.

Mileage under 40k. I drive less then 6k a year but I don't want to start with more than 40.

And lastly I would really like to stay around 40ish. For the perfect one I could see up to maybe 44.

The rest is negoshable.

Unicorn??

Curious, what changed in '12?

Nick M3
04-06-2017, 03:07 PM
one of you guys should of bought one my m3's :eeps:
Didn't you declare on here that you wouldn't sell to anyone you "knew?" :p

Theo
04-06-2017, 03:12 PM
Curious, what changed in '12?

Other then being the last year for the sedan not much from 2011. But I seem to have this weird fetish of buying the last or close to the last model year for most of my used cars.

I feel they hold there value better and you get the latest updates for that model.

Nick M3
04-06-2017, 03:31 PM
Other then being the last year for the sedan not much from 2011. But I seem to have this weird fetish of buying the last or close to the last model year for most of my used cars.

I feel they hold there value better and you get the latest updates for that model.
Eh. The $10-15k cheaper '08 will hold its value just fine relatively.

Nick M3
04-06-2017, 03:41 PM
So, it's actually a BMW dealer that manages to present itself as a scary used car lot. Not sure how I feel about that.

It's a one owner car and has so many records because they reported everything they did to it to Carfax (and sold it new).

Ended up pinging them. Will be interesting to see if I can get them to move on price.

I'm curious why they've struggled to sell it in the over three months that they've had it listed, though.

Jeff_DML
04-06-2017, 03:46 PM
Didn't you declare on here that you wouldn't sell to anyone you "knew?" :p

didnt you guys say too bad west coast :p

I forget if I posted my e90 for sale on this forum. Sold it to carmax for cheap but still made some money.

Jeff_DML
04-06-2017, 03:48 PM

The rest is negoshable.

Unicorn??

Yes unicorn. :)

Was le mans even a standard color? I thought interlagos was the only standard blue.

Nick M3
04-06-2017, 03:52 PM
didnt you guys say too bad west coast :p

I forget if I posted my e90 for sale on this forum. Sold it to carmax for cheap but still made some money.
I was going to try to get my Dad to buy it in LA, but then you said you didn't want to sell it to anyone you "knew."

Jeff_DML
04-06-2017, 04:27 PM
I was going to try to get my Dad to buy it in LA, but then you said you didn't want to sell it to anyone you "knew."

I used to know your dad;)

Theo
04-06-2017, 04:35 PM
Something like this with a manual please.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/691471633/overview/

Quick question - did the coupe LCI to the white halo rings not get to the M3?

wdc330i
04-06-2017, 04:55 PM
For something as recent as you want, don't forget to use BMWUSA's pre-owned search function.

Josh (PA)
04-06-2017, 05:21 PM
there are more coupes available than Sedans too, so that should help a lot in finding what you are looking for.

m3post.com seems like the best message board classifieds I've come across.

Keep an eye on BMWCCA classifieds too, although those usually are premiumly priced

lemming
04-06-2017, 07:27 PM
So, it's actually a BMW dealer that manages to present itself as a scary used car lot. Not sure how I feel about that.

It's a one owner car and has so many records because they reported everything they did to it to Carfax (and sold it new).

Ended up pinging them. Will be interesting to see if I can get them to move on price.

I'm curious why they've struggled to sell it in the over three months that they've had it listed, though.

A lot of people are terrified of a car that "old".

You know the mechanical "issues" and could be pro active.

Most people would be hard pressed to own a car that is basically 10years old?

Nick M3
04-06-2017, 09:08 PM
I used to know your dad;)
Hmm...... Small world.

SARAFIL
04-06-2017, 09:55 PM

Cleaning it up a bit more and swapping the factory wheels back on in place of what looks like winter wheels would probably help make it look less sketchy

bren
04-07-2017, 08:35 AM
Cleaning it up a bit more and swapping the factory wheels back on in place of what looks like winter wheels would probably help make it look less sketchy

Seriously. How lazy to leave the dirty wheels inside when they took the pics.

Nick M3
04-07-2017, 11:18 AM
Well, lobbed in an offer on it.

Josh (PA)
04-07-2017, 11:28 AM

Cool, hopefully it works out. (This was the blue one w/ the snow tires on it in NY?)
Sometimes finding shitty dealers with no marketing skills or interest in properly presenting cars can lead to good bargains. I got my e90 335 way below market because it was traded in at an Acura lot and they had no clue about the car, options, etc.

Nick M3
04-07-2017, 11:31 AM
Cool, hopefully it works out. (This was the blue one w/ the snow tires on it in NY?)
Sometimes finding shitty dealers with no marketing skills or interest in properly presenting cars can lead to good bargains. I got my e90 335 way below market because it was traded in at an Acura lot and they had no clue about the car, options, etc.
You would think that a bona fide BMW dealer would be a little less incompetent.

Josh (PA)
04-07-2017, 11:37 AM
Theo,

How far away is Walnut Creek?
http://www.msportmotors.net/2013_BMW_M3_Walnut%20Creek_CA_266455648.veh

Edit, or even better idea, drive up the coast to Bellevue with the M5 or a farewell tour. Then sell it to Kevin and come home in this:
http://www.bellevueautohouse.com/bellevue-used-cars/detail/2013-BMW-M3-Competition-Manual-Coupe/1206/WBSKG9C55DJ594335

Theo
04-07-2017, 12:18 PM
Theo,

Edit, or even better idea, drive up the coast to Bellevue with the M5 or a farewell tour. Then sell it to Kevin and come home in this:
http://www.bellevueautohouse.com/bellevue-used-cars/detail/2013-BMW-M3-Competition-Manual-Coupe/1206/WBSKG9C55DJ594335

Both of those are defiantly contenders. A little out of my comfort zone price point.

It's weird. Prices for these seem to be all over the place. I've found 12-13 coupes with the same options and miles as the ones you posted (granted not a manual or lemans) for right around or under 40.

Edit: I also feel like these will eventually hold there value if there not doing that already. Last NA M car.

SARAFIL
04-07-2017, 01:21 PM
You would think that a bona fide BMW dealer would be a little less incompetent.

Conceptually yes, I agree with you.

But I can also give them a break based on my experience and I can almost guess what happened here. Dealer gets this car in trade. It's a bit older and something they might generally send to auction, but it's an M3 so they say "let's give it a shot". They do a safety inspection and the stock tires are shot but the snows have enough tread. So they don't want to spend the money putting new tires on it and leave the snows on to keep it legal. Then what happens with the stock wheels? Throw them in the back of the shop and have them disappear? My experience says safest way to make sure those wheels don't grow legs and walk off is to throw them in the car. Also it helps potential buyers know that they are getting the stock wheels with this car.

However- they really could have found a way to take better pics (maybe wash the car and pull the wheels out and set them up next to the car)

Nick M3
04-07-2017, 01:24 PM
Conceptually yes, I agree with you.

But I can also give them a break based on my experience and I can almost guess what happened here. Dealer gets this car in trade. It's a bit older and something they might generally send to auction, but it's an M3 so they say "let's give it a shot". They do a safety inspection and the stock tires are shot but the snows have enough tread. So they don't want to spend the money putting new tires on it and leave the snows on to keep it legal. Then what happens with the stock wheels? Throw them in the back of the shop and have them disappear? My experience says safest way to make sure those wheels don't grow legs and walk off is to throw them in the car. Also it helps potential buyers know that they are getting the stock wheels with this car.

However- they really could have found a way to take better pics (maybe wash the car and pull the wheels out and set them up next to the car)
All true. It's not what they've done. It's the presentation. And using what appears to be an iPhone 3GS to take the pictures doesn't really help either.

Jeff_DML
04-07-2017, 01:32 PM
Theo,

get that second one, le mans too. Make up a couple K by not spending time searching and hanging out on the mudgeons board;)

As for the first one, I know most of you guys love sunroofs but deleting the carbon roof to get one:ack:

Jeff_DML
04-07-2017, 01:36 PM

nice choice:cool:

I thought these OEM blackline improved the rear a lot

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=757187&d=1348936685

Nick M3
04-07-2017, 01:54 PM
nice choice:cool:

I thought these OEM blackline improved the rear a lot

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=757187&d=1348936685
I'd probably just do the LCI trunk lid. They are pretty readily available.

wdc330i
04-07-2017, 02:20 PM
get that second one, le mans too. Make up a couple K but not spending time searching and hanging out on the mudgeons board;)

As for the first one, I know most of you guys love sunroofs but deleting the carbon roof to get one:ack:

Great specs on the LeMans.

Josh (PA)
04-07-2017, 02:34 PM
Great specs on the LeMans.

That was my thought too. About as collectable a spec as you're going to find on an e9x M3. The couple of extra up front $$$ Theo might spend would be more than made up when he goes to sell it. Especially considering his low mileage driving routine and his super retentive preventative maintenance approach (compliment). He'd see a very shallow depreciation slope on that one.

Comp package - check
Rare (and widely desireable) color - check
Manual - check
Carbon Roof - check.
Dynamic Dampers - check

and it is close to Kevin's place which makes the m5 transaction even easier. This really seems like one you jump on and make the money work short term before you miss out and regret it for the next year.

Jeff_DML
04-07-2017, 02:51 PM
That was my thought too. About as collectable a spec as you're going to find on an e9x M3. The couple of extra up front $$$ Theo might spend would be more than made up when he goes to sell it. Especially considering his low mileage driving routine and his super retentive preventative maintenance approach (compliment). He'd see a very shallow depreciation slope on that one.

Comp package - check
Manual - check
Carbon Roof - check.
Dynamic Dampers - check

and it is close to Kevin's place which makes the m5 transaction even easier. This really seems like one you jump on and make the money work short term before you miss out and regret it for the next year.

and boom two new e9X M3 mudgeon's, where is FC's one? :D

Josh (PA)
04-07-2017, 03:01 PM

Count Lemming too, with his sneaky 996 -> M3 transition

Nick M3
04-07-2017, 03:48 PM

Comp package - check
Manual - check
Carbon Roof - check.
Dynamic Dampers - check

In the long term, I bet that NAV and dynamic dampers are both a negative.

Theo
04-07-2017, 03:54 PM
In the long term, I bet that NAV and dynamic dampers are both a negative.

I agree about DD but not the nav. Hell I have the last map DVD BMW made(2015) for my mark IV Nav in my 03 and with the last software update with bisdseye view works just fine. I still use it.

Edit: I agree about those blacklines posted above. Looks good.

Edit Edit: on the comp pkg one josh posted. Did that guy have toxic waste on his hands to make the stick look so warn already. Mine doesn't even look that bad.

Edit Edit Edit: This is what I mean about pricing all over the board. Sure this one has a few more miles but it's loaded and right at 40k. 6k cheaper for an additional 10k or so miles is fine with me since I will make it up as a drive so little. These are basically weekend cars for me.

Josh (PA)
04-07-2017, 10:00 PM
I agree about DD but not the nav. Hell I have the last map DVD BMW made(2015) for my mark IV Nav in my 03 and with the last software update with bisdseye view works just fine. I still use it.

Edit: I agree about those blacklines posted above. Looks good.

It doesn't hurt E34 M5s with their fancy M adjustable suspension

Edit Edit: on the comp pkg one josh posted. Did that guy have toxic waste on his hands to make the stick look so warn already. Mine doesn't even look that bad.

I will say my shift knob in the 135 has similar wear. I'm a little surprised by how much. Significantly more than any other BMW shift knob I've used. At least it is a cheap / easy fix if it tickles your OCD

Edit Edit Edit: This is what I mean about pricing all over the board. Sure this one has a few more miles but it's loaded and right at 40k. 6k cheaper for an additional 10k or so miles is fine with me since I will make it up as a drive so little. These are basically weekend cars for me.

Exactly, that car is a DCT. Take $3k+ off just for that. You can't compare DCT prices to manuals in the used market. Manual shoppers are far more hardcore on what they're looking for... supply/demand.

bren
04-07-2017, 11:16 PM

I would suggest that you have that backwards. The little nav screen is going to look more and more ridiculous as time marches on.

rumatt
04-07-2017, 11:47 PM

I've never understood why anyone buys, let alone uses a vehicle navigation system.

When you have waze, or even google maps. I just don't get it.

Josh (PA)
04-08-2017, 07:10 AM
I've never understood why anyone buys, let alone uses a vehicle navigation system.

When you have waze, or even google maps. I just don't get it.

Personally, I really like them. I like the screen location, not needing to wake my phone up to check the map etc. I use them daily. On the 1er, the first two shortcut presets are route to home and route to work. Let's say I'm heading to work it the morning. I start the car and hit button 2. By the time i'm out of the garage and down the driveway I can pop up my traffic on route map and confirm the PA turnpike is clear and I don't need an alternate route. I also like seeing the arrival time to confirm there is nothing funky w/ trafic flow.

The X5 has a HUD, so the distance to next turn, road info, etc float out in space in front of the car. It is really nice to take a quick glance at that and know if I should bother passing the truck in front of me or just sit for my .

Just a couple examples. It's more about the convenience of integration than outright capability

bren
04-08-2017, 08:52 AM
You a are doing something wrong if your phone is going to sleep while maps are on.

Most car nav systems won't even let you enter addresses or changes while in motion. Dumb.

Oh, and using HUD to find your way to work? :toetap:. :lol:

Josh (PA)
04-08-2017, 10:45 AM
You a are doing something wrong if your phone is going to sleep while maps are on.

Well, I still use my work supplied blackberry, so there's that. :(

Most car nav systems won't even let you enter addresses or changes while in motion. Dumb.

Agreed, blame our sue happy society and lawyers, not the car makers. Luckily BMW hasn't done that yet (as of 2013) and you can easily shut off any other warnings with coding. Besides, Waze doesn't let you enter info on the move "unless you're a passenger.

That's not at all what I was saying... I usually can find my way to work all by myself like a big boy...

Josh (PA)
04-08-2017, 10:55 AM

Well, I still use my work supplied blackberry, so there's that. :(

Agreed, blame our sue happy society and lawyers, not the car makers. Luckily BMW hasn't done that yet (as of 2013) and you can easily shut off any other warnings with coding. Besides, Waze doesn't let you enter info on the move "unless you're a passenger.

That's not at all what I was saying... I usually can find my way to work all by myself like a big boy...

bren
04-08-2017, 11:56 AM
:p

Theo
04-08-2017, 01:54 PM
My old system DOES allow input and changes on the fly. =)

Theo
04-08-2017, 03:59 PM
So the sedan is now out. Finding a 2011 with comp and a manual won't happen.

So it's onto 12-13 comp coupe. I just really got used to having 4 doors.

Josh (PA)
04-08-2017, 06:22 PM
So the sedan is now out. Finding a 2011 with comp and a manual won't happen.

So it's onto 12-13 comp coupe. I just really got used to having 4 doors.

why no sedan? Just general lack of supply or something that caused a more active choice?

Josh (PA)
04-19-2017, 08:47 AM
Theo,

If this is close by, it might be worth your time to check out... I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after driving it (besides the droopy running boards are ugly):
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1375969

wdc330i
04-19-2017, 09:15 AM
Theo,

If this is close by, it might be worth your time to check out... I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after driving it (besides the droopy running boards are ugly):

Nice car. Maybe you need two ;)

There was one of these locally when I was looking for a convertible. But it was black. And I am PTSD from so many black cars (three). Even the dark blue shows dirt almost as much as jet black.

Theo
04-19-2017, 10:13 AM
Theo,

San Jose is actually about a two hour drive but not bad. If I was to get an "is" it would be of the 3 series kind. I bet the 1 is a lot a fun though.

Theo
04-19-2017, 10:15 AM
why no sedan? Just general lack of supply or something that caused a more active choice?

Mostly that. Since the sedan only came with the comp pkg for one year,2011, and the manual uptake on it was dreadfully low, finding one will be nearly impossible.

I hated the DTC in the coupe I drove so yeah that thought is dead also.

Theo
04-19-2017, 01:31 PM
&$@%!!! DCT!!

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=436810333&zip=30033&startYear=2012&numRecords=25&vehicleStyleCodes=COUPE&endYear=2013&modelCodeList=M3&makeCodeList=BMW&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D30033%26startYe ar%3D2012%26maxMileage%3D45000%26vehicleStyleCodes %3DCOUPE%26incremental%3Dall%26endYear%3D2013%26mo delCodeList%3DM3%26makeCodeList%3DBMW%26listingTyp es%3Dused%26minPrice%3D1000%26sortBy%3Dderivedpric eDESC%26maxPrice%3D45000%26firstRecord%3D25%26sear chRadius%3D0&listingTypes=used&minPrice=1000&maxPrice=45000&firstRecord=25&searchRadius=0&makeCode1=BMW&modelCode1=M3

Give me this car with a manual.

Josh (PA)
04-19-2017, 01:43 PM
&$@%!!! DCT!!

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=436810333&zip=30033&startYear=2012&numRecords=25&vehicleStyleCodes=COUPE&endYear=2013&modelCodeList=M3&makeCodeList=BMW&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D30033%26startYe ar%3D2012%26maxMileage%3D45000%26vehicleStyleCodes %3DCOUPE%26incremental%3Dall%26endYear%3D2013%26mo delCodeList%3DM3%26makeCodeList%3DBMW%26listingTyp es%3Dused%26minPrice%3D1000%26sortBy%3Dderivedpric eDESC%26maxPrice%3D45000%26firstRecord%3D25%26sear chRadius%3D0&listingTypes=used&minPrice=1000&maxPrice=45000&firstRecord=25&searchRadius=0&makeCode1=BMW&modelCode1=M3

Give me this car with a manual.

I thought we did :dunno:

Theo
04-19-2017, 01:58 PM
I thought we did :dunno:

Well I like the two tone grey seats, the carbon look dash and the fact it's 2k cheaper since the one I posted is already pushing my comfort zone.

I may just have to wait another year. There almost to what I want to spend.

Jeff_DML
04-19-2017, 02:02 PM
Well I like the two tone grey seats, the carbon look dash and the fact it's 2k cheaper since the one I posted is already pushing my comfort zone.

I may just have to wait another year. There almost to what I want to spend.

dont think I ever has seen a E90 m3 with two tone seats.

Did you offer $2k less to that other dealer? All black seats will obviously wear better long term.

FC
04-19-2017, 03:09 PM

I'm probably going with a 2018 F80.

Alan
04-19-2017, 10:14 PM
Theo,

Sweet car though lack of the as the owner puts it "the dated navigation/ugly dash screen" is a negative IMO ...

wdc330i
04-20-2017, 02:54 PM
How do you feel about white?

https://www.carmax.com/car/14539891

wdc330i
04-20-2017, 03:03 PM

Theo
04-20-2017, 04:56 PM
How did you get the pics to come up? Says pics coming soon for me. With that interior color, the carbon look trim, nav and comp pkg I can maybe deal with the white. I'll check back when the pics are up unless EAG gets there first.

wdc330i
04-20-2017, 05:03 PM
How did you get the pics to come up? Says pics coming soon for me. With that interior color, the carbon look trim, nav and comp pkg I can maybe deal with the white. I'll check back when the pics are up unless EAG gets there first.

I just ran the VIN through a decoder site. I think this one will go fast. Only downside I see so far is it has had two owners.

Nick M3
04-20-2017, 05:25 PM
Put a hold on it and go look at it. You can do that for free.

Theo
04-20-2017, 06:51 PM
It's close to LA so it would be a weekend trip. I'll call and inquire.

Nick M3
04-20-2017, 07:25 PM
It's close to LA so it would be a weekend trip. I'll call and inquire.
You can put a hold on it on the web site right now!

wdc330i
04-21-2017, 09:10 AM
You can put a hold on it on the web site right now!

I don't think Theo is as enthusiastic as we are about this find.

Josh (PA)
04-21-2017, 09:26 AM
I'm putting a $1 on he keeps the m5.

wdc330i
04-21-2017, 09:28 AM
I'm putting a $1 on he keeps the m5.

Yep. Good call.

JST
04-21-2017, 09:40 AM
Only downside I see so far is it has had two owners.

The pics are up, and ... wow.

Nick M3
04-21-2017, 09:40 AM
Kind of tempted to offer $15k for this car:
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/6096669398.html

Nick M3
04-21-2017, 09:41 AM
Shit's hawt yo.

bren
04-21-2017, 09:45 AM

Salvage title for a bumper? Um, ok. :?

JST
04-21-2017, 09:47 AM
But this is interesting: 2013 M5, 6M, 54K. In Richmond.

https://www.carmax.com/car/13802257

JST
04-21-2017, 09:49 AM

I mean, why not?

bren
04-21-2017, 09:50 AM
But this is interesting: 2013 M5, 6M, 54K. In Richmond.

https://www.carmax.com/car/13802257

Aren't the v8 of that vintage a total disaster?

I mean, why not?
Seems like a deal at $19.5 assuming you get out alive.

JST
04-21-2017, 09:55 AM
Aren't the v8 of that vintage a total disaster?

Doesn't Carmax offer a warranty that Doug DeMuro keeps going on about?

wdc330i
04-21-2017, 09:57 AM

Yikes. Never mind!

Nick M3
04-21-2017, 10:00 AM
I mean, why not?
I might send my Dad to go look at it when he gets back to LA. It's been for sale for a while.

bren
04-21-2017, 10:01 AM
I might send my Dad to go look at it when he gets back to LA. It's been for sale for a while.

Maybe because it doesn't actually exist. ;)

Nick M3
04-21-2017, 10:10 AM
Maybe because it doesn't actually exist. ;)
Or the "bumper damage" consists of massive frame rail wrinkling that was pulled out using the tree stump method.

bren
04-21-2017, 10:11 AM
Or the "bumper damage" consists of massive frame rail wrinkling that was pulled out using the tree stump method.

I've done that! (except it was a rear quarter) :kekeke:

Theo
04-21-2017, 10:29 AM

WOW!! Ummm no. Are those E60 545i rims?

That interior is beautiful though.

And yes I am tempted to keep the 5 but I can't take many more of these 5k repair bills.

wdc330i
04-21-2017, 10:38 AM
Are those E60 545i rims?

Bizarre. Owner must have kept the other rims. Maybe that's why it was dumped at CarMax. Was probably also a track slut.

Josh (PA)
04-21-2017, 10:38 AM
The interior is nice. Is that hood trunk and striping just vinyl wrap? Could it just be peeled off, or does it f up the paint surface underneath. I'm surprised Carmax would hold onto it and try to sell it with the 'livery'

The rims are e60 base rims. That's unfortunate.

Jeff_DML
04-21-2017, 11:03 AM

Actually looks pretty clean. Assume that crap comes off but bummer about the rims.

Can you deal with Carmax? I think not but if can use as leverage to knock the price down.

bren
04-21-2017, 11:08 AM
Actually looks pretty clean. Assume that crap comes off but bummer about the rims.

Can you deal with Carmax? I think not but if can use as leverage to knock the price down.

There's a story for that car. Do you really want a car with a story?

And no, Carmax will not haggle on price. I would certainly try for removal of the stickers though.

Jeff_DML
04-21-2017, 11:36 AM
There's a story for that car. Do you really want a car with a story?

And no, Carmax will not haggle on price. I would certainly try for removal of the stickers though.

more thinking if you can get a good deal, a lot of new M3 owners are all show and no go. Guess they might of done burnouts coming out of cars and coffee :D

wdc330i
04-21-2017, 11:56 AM
Guess they might of done burnouts coming out of cars and coffee :D

JST
04-21-2017, 01:30 PM

http://bringatrailer.com/2017/04/21/m3c5-vette-mashup-1994-bmw-325i/

Theo
04-21-2017, 03:26 PM
I did not need to run into my first M2 when I was at the local dealer just now. Dam that thing is nice. 52k base and 55 with the options I would want. Not bad. What's weird is they had a loaded 240 on the lot also that was almost 60. Wth?

Sorry about the crappy upside down phone pic.

Josh (PA)
04-21-2017, 03:38 PM
I did not need to run into my first M2 when I was at the local dealer just now. Dam that thing is nice. 52k base and 55 with the options I would want. Not bad. What's weird is they had a loaded 240 on the lot also that was almost 60. Wth?

It seems like a good car for you. How does it lease? M cars are the bargain of BMWs these days

Theo
04-21-2017, 03:44 PM
It seems like a good car for you. How does it lease? M cars are the bargain of BMWs these days

The guy I bought my other two from was not there today. He's been there forever. Im going to go back and chat with him tomorrow.

JST
04-21-2017, 03:52 PM

Yeah, I noticed that seeming discrepancy at the auto show. The M2 seems like the screaming deal of the BMW range, if you can live with 2 doors.

Jeff_DML
04-21-2017, 03:56 PM

FYI, LCI and CS version are coming soon

Theo
04-21-2017, 03:59 PM
FYI, LCI and CS version are coming soon

It that also might cause a better deal on late 2017's?

wdc330i
04-21-2017, 03:59 PM
They are very close in price--seemingly. But the reality is you can get 5-8k off the 240, but not the M2.

240 has a lot of the M2 bits, plus some creature comforts like adaptive suspension. And it has the new engine, which is just a hair slower than the M2. Also, unlike fancier M cars, the M2 doesn't have an upgraded interior over the 240.

I think, if you like a hardtop coupe, they are the best value for performance right now in the BMW fleet. Drive one if you can. And if you can't, drive the 240 just to get a feel for the size. Make sure you drive it in sport plus--still won't be as rigid as the M, but closer than otherwise..

Edit: Why haven't we talked about this car before for you?

Theo
04-21-2017, 04:17 PM
I have only ever leased one car and bought four new ones out of maybe a total of 14 cars I've had in my life. I usually like to purchase 2 to 5 year old cars to let someone else take the big hit.

The M2 might hold its value better though. But if the LCI gets a newer engine then that thought for the older models goes out the window. I'll have to mull it over.

Jeff_DML
04-21-2017, 04:32 PM
I have only ever leased one car and bought four new ones out of maybe a total of 14 cars I've had in my life. I usually like to purchase 2 to 5 year old cars to let someone else take the big hit.

The M2 might hold its value better though. But if the LCI gets a newer engine then that thought for the older models goes out the window. I'll have to mull it over.

yeah I seems like it should get the updated engine since as far as I know it is just a lightly tuned 235(240) engine.

Edit: also isn’t the 240 hp/tq pretty close to the M2 now. Seems like they would want to make a bigger gap again.

wdc330i
04-21-2017, 05:28 PM
yeah I seems like it should get the updated engine since as far as I know it is just a lightly tuned 235(240) engine.

Edit: also isn’t the 240 hp/tq pretty close to the M2 now. Seems like they would want to make a bigger gap again.

M2 has the N55 in it, which is what the 235i had. Now the 240 has the B58 in it, which makes slightly less HP but the same torque as the M2-tuned N55.

Edit: You can read all the guesswork about the LCI and other coming versions of the M2 here: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=577

bren
04-22-2017, 09:35 PM
Where we trying to find e92m3's?

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-marketplace/971374-2011-bmw-m3-v8-6-speed-in-alpine-white.html

SARAFIL
04-23-2017, 01:35 PM
Lease programs on the M2 are atrocious, you will have to buy it. BMW knows they don't need to subsidize it sell them so the residuals are crazy low. If the 1M is any indicator though, resale will stay strong even if there is an LCI/CS model so you're probably ok to buy. I think there are some dealers at MSRP now but some are still adding markup and allocations are still not plentiful. No special incentives but if you work for a qualifying company you can get a $2500 fleet discount on a purchase ($1500 on lease).

Jeff_DML
04-23-2017, 04:30 PM
Just read this relevant comparision

https://www.google.com/amp/www.motortrend.com/cars/fiat/124-spider/2017/chevrolet-camaro-1le-bmw-m2-ford-focus-rs-fiat-124-spider-abarth-porsche-718-boxster-s-toyota-86/amp/

JST
04-23-2017, 04:54 PM
That is the first test I've read of the 124 Spyder that's even vaguely complimentary.

I forgot about the non-defeatable rev matching on the BMW. Laaame. That's a deal breaker.

The clear takeaway to me is "buy a 987."

Jeff_DML
04-23-2017, 06:34 PM
That is the first test I've read of the 124 Spyder that's even vaguely complimentary.

I forgot about the non-defeatable rev matching on the BMW. Laaame. That's a deal breaker.

The clear takeaway to me is "buy a 987."

V8 1LE seems to be the car to buy

bren
04-23-2017, 07:40 PM
V8 1LE seems to be the car to buy

Only if GM has hired a new ABS engineer.

Alan
04-23-2017, 08:06 PM
Just read this relevant comparision

https://www.google.com/amp/www.motortrend.com/cars/fiat/124-spider/2017/chevrolet-camaro-1le-bmw-m2-ford-focus-rs-fiat-124-spider-abarth-porsche-718-boxster-s-toyota-86/amp/

Wow the new boxster is fast as hell !! Kicks my 991S's ass !!

Josh (PA)
05-01-2017, 08:59 PM
Here's an idea, Theo:
http://www.bmwseattle.com/used/BMW/2013-BMW-M3-near-seattle-wa-904438f60a0e099147ba033acc8454a0.htm
Get this one CPO'ed. Negotiate a deal with them that includes trading your M5 in for the sales tax break and them immediately selling it to LIP for trade value + doc costs.

Everybody wins.

Edit:

I like this one in Gaithersburg, MD too. Red over cloth
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=455999294&zip=19335&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D19335%26showcas eOwnerId%3D620253%26startYear%3D2011%26sortBy%3Dde rivedpriceDESC%26vehicleStyleCodes%3DCOUPE%26incre mental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26endYear%3D2013%26 modelCodeList%3DM3%26makeCodeList%3DBMW%26searchRa dius%3D100&startYear=2011&numRecords=25&vehicleStyleCodes=COUPE&firstRecord=0&endYear=2013&modelCodeList=M3&makeCodeList=BMW&searchRadius=100&makeCode1=BMW&modelCode1=M3

lip277
05-01-2017, 10:48 PM
Here's an idea, Theo:
http://www.bmwseattle.com/used/BMW/2013-BMW-M3-near-seattle-wa-904438f60a0e099147ba033acc8454a0.htm
Get this one CPO'ed. Negotiate a deal with them that includes trading your M5 in for the sales tax break and them immediately selling it to LIP for trade value + doc costs.

Everybody wins.

I can go down and look for you. I have a good friend who is a sales guy there. :)
Just don't do the M5 trade-in thing..... ;)

Josh (PA)
05-02-2017, 07:28 AM
I can go down and look for you. I have a good friend who is a sales guy there. :)
Just don't do the M5 trade-in thing..... ;)

Not sure how it works in WA/CA but here in Pa if you trade a car in on another car purchase you only pay sales tax on the difference in vehichle prices (new minus trade). I've done this a few times, where I have a buyer for my trade, we go to the dealer together, the dealer gives me trade in value on the old car at whatever i've negotiated with the buyer and then immediately sells it to the buyer. Everybody wins.

Nick M3
05-18-2017, 06:25 PM
Theo: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/6133686501.html

Theo
05-18-2017, 07:44 PM
I like sunroofs and more miles then I wanted but wow very tempting.