PDA

View Full Version : So my latest bad idea - Garages

rumatt
03-26-2017, 10:56 AM
I'm finding myself wishing I had more garage space, but I can't build on my property for a variety of reasons.

I'm not sure how serious I am but I started looking around at what's available. Standalone garages? Lots that I could build on?

I found this "garage built for an airplane". I wonder if I could rent the house out and cover my costs. Free garage?

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/67551103_zpid/

rumatt
03-26-2017, 11:05 AM
The garage is actually bigger than the house :lol:

clyde
03-26-2017, 11:59 AM
I'm finding myself wishing I had more garage space, but I can't build on my property for a variety of reasons.

I'm not sure how serious I am but I started looking around at what's available. Standalone garages? Lots that I could build on?

I found this "garage built for an airplane". I wonder if I could rent the house out and cover my costs. Free garage?

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/67551103_zpid/

How close/far is it from where you are...or more to the point, is it close enough to you that it will work for your needs?

You could definitely rent the house and bar entry to the garage, but is that what you want to do? It might be a brilliant plan, or it might be the most idiotic thing you could do. Probably somewhere in between.

What's the rental market look like in that area? What do you think will happen with real estate prices and how much money will you have to put into the house over time? Will you enjoy dealing with the 2:00am "this or that just broke" calls? Or will you rather pay a management company to take care of it?

How much would it cost to rent a garage, garage space or storage unit in comparison?

Alan
03-26-2017, 12:39 PM
Clyde makes some very good points ... being a landlord is not too fun ... I am one and downsized because I found it really time consuming and stressful. Nothing is worse then when you get a phone call from one of your tenants with a problem :ack:

With that said I love that garage !!

rumatt
03-26-2017, 02:04 PM
bHow close/far is it from where you are...or more to the point, is it close enough to you that it will work for your needs?
25 minutes. Probably not close enough.

You could definitely rent the house and bar entry to the garage, but is that what you want to do?
It has its own driveway so it could work.

What's the rental market look like in that area?
Not convinced it's any good
What do you think will happen with real estate prices and how much money will you have to put into the house over time?
No idea.
Will you enjoy dealing with the 2:00am "this or that just broke" calls?

No it would be horrible. But I'd do it before paying a management company.

How much would it cost to rent a garage, garage space or storage unit in comparison?
I'm looking or those too. I'm sure renting is a much smarter option, but somehow I rationalize buying over renting because I can trick myself into thinking its an investment.

To be fair, I did put "bad idea" in the thread title. :lol:

rumatt
03-26-2017, 06:00 PM
The truly worst idea I have is to build a garage behind my house that blocks my view of the lake. :lol:

The 2nd worst idea is to buy this 0.9 acre lot below, which is just around the corner, and build a garage on it - right between these nice people's houses. Then I could borrow EQU's truck to drive my snowblower back and forth every time it snows. :lol:

Odds of me doing none of the above is about 97.5%. But shit-snacks (Archer anyone?) I want a bigger garage.

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11220&stc=1&d=1490565542

clyde
03-27-2017, 05:32 PM
The truly worst idea I have is to build a garage behind my house that blocks my view of the lake. :lol:

Build the garage out of glass and it won't block your view.

Nick M3
03-27-2017, 05:41 PM
I like the third option: Bulldoze your house and build a new one that doesn't suck. :)

rumatt
03-27-2017, 11:57 PM
I like the third option: Bulldoze your house and build a new one that doesn't suck. :)
One of the few options actually worse than a glass garage. :lol:

jpgurl
03-28-2017, 04:28 AM

That's what we did. So far so good. We handle repair calls either ourselves or we send a repair man over there. The tenants don't have access to the free standing garage. We mainly use it for storage though. Cars that aren't the main project live there and we rotate cars in and out.

I will say that the rental income isn't covering the nut (phrasing). But ultimately we're moving there to "retire". So it's an investment? :eeps: At least that is what we keep telling ourselves.

rumatt
03-28-2017, 06:32 AM
phrasing
:kekeke:

zach
03-28-2017, 09:22 AM
I've been trying to buy industrial space as car storage near Boston for years now but it just got too expensive (more valuable to someone who's going to use it for commercial purposes).