PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore cops seem like a friendly bunch

rumatt
02-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Video (http://cgi.fark.com/cgi/fark/youtube.pl?IDLink=3393308)

Gets interesting around 30 seconds in.

bren
02-12-2008, 09:28 AM
Probably has a lot to do with the wonderful, upstanding citizens.

edit: ok, watched the video - I don't see the problem.

dan
02-12-2008, 09:29 AM
http://www.hbo.com/thewire/img/castcrew/character_season04/bunk.jpg

kognito
02-12-2008, 10:29 AM
ok, watched the video - I don't see the problem.

:+1

dredmo
02-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Bunk

Biggins
02-12-2008, 10:47 AM
I too see no problem... I saw this clip last night on the news. I think the policeman was just suspended as of yesterday, but they're looking for the filmographer and there was no incident report.

ff
02-12-2008, 10:56 AM
I see a problem in the way he handled it. Northeastern big mouth attitude. Regardless of how the "suspects" are acting, it's the officer's job to remain cool and collected. And he's not going to win over any affection from the general public if he conducts himself that way. You want the people you're protecting to be on your side, not against you.

bren
02-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Yeah, you might be right - it should be ok for kids to ignore the Police. :rolleyes:

John V
02-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Yeah, you might be right - it should be ok for kids to ignore the Police. :rolleyes:

See, this is just your Northeaster big-mouth attitude showing through.

Terri Kennedy
02-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Video (http://cgi.fark.com/cgi/fark/youtube.pl?IDLink=3393308)

Gets interesting around 30 seconds in.The cop has been suspended pending an Internal Affairs investigation. Link (http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/baltimore_city/bal-te.md.officer12feb12,0,2252685.story)

While the video may not show the complete confrontation, that isn't the sort of police behavior I'd want to see. Let's hope the officer involved was either having a really bad day, or gets the counseling / anger management that he seems to need.

While some may dismiss this as just opening a can of whoop-ass on some skateboarder punks, how would this officer have handled a convenience store robbery?

rumatt
02-12-2008, 11:09 AM
edit: ok, watched the video - I don't see the problem.

The cop lost his cool.

That's not cool.

FC
02-12-2008, 11:10 AM
I see no problem with the officer yelling at him for being an irrespectful little punk. That said, he didn't have to go yank the skateboard without asking for it nor shove the kid.

But the kid coud have avoided all that by just being respectful of authority.

Hell, he knew he wasn't supposed to be there. You see a cop talking to you, what do you think he's there for? And you still give him an attitude and call him dude? You're an idiot. But like I said, there was no need to get physical nor say anything about getting killed, etc.

I can see a slight beef, but not a big freakin deal.

ff
02-12-2008, 11:11 AM

I didn't say that. What I said is that it's the officer's job to be calm and collected. You handle it the way he did, and you get in trouble.

FC
02-12-2008, 11:11 AM
The cop lost his cool.

That's not cool.

Sharp11
02-12-2008, 11:20 AM
You guys who think this officer acted appropriately and "don't see the problem" have me worried.

He was way, way over the line, perhaps officer RIV-I-ERA has seen too many episodes of Dog The Bounty Hunter, or just felt ridiculous wearing those shorts, but it's clear he has a lot of issues and taking one's anger issues out on a bunch of kids is inappropriate.

Thankfully there's a video and rightfully, he was suspended.

Geeze....

Ed

bren
02-12-2008, 11:34 AM
You have got to be kidding me. What was over the line?

There are signs posted EVERYWHERE that say "no skateboarding" and kids are constantly being chased away from that area. They knew they were in the wrong. The kid can be heard continuing to ride the skateboard in the background after the other 2 stopped having understood/followed the officers directions.

The officer clearly asks the kid for the board and the kid turns away and tries to prevent the officer from confiscating it - how is this justifiable? The officer had to grab the kid at that point as it was the only way he was getting the board.

Oh, and (as a Baltimore county resident) the part where the officer asks the kid if he's from the county is hilarious.

Sharp11
02-12-2008, 11:54 AM

There are signs posted EVERYWHERE that say "no skateboarding" and kids are constantly being chased away from that area. They knew they were in the wrong. The kid can be heard continuing to ride the skateboard in the background after the other 2 stopped having understood/followed the officers directions.

The officer clearly asks the kid for the board and the kid turns away and tries to prevent the officer from confiscating it - how is this justifiable? The officer had to grab the kid at that point as it was the only way he was getting the board.

Oh, and (as a Baltimore county resident) the part where the officer asks the kid if he's from the county is hilarious.

I think Terry put it best:

While some may dismiss this as just opening a can of whoop-ass on some skateboarder punks, how would this officer have handled a convenience store robbery?

If you don't see it, you don't see it......

Ed

Biggins
02-12-2008, 11:56 AM
I'm curious how many skateboards he collects each weekend in the back of his golf cart pick-up. I highly doubt it was the first or second time the kid was warned. The push MIGHT have been a LITTLE excessive, but this is only a clip of what happened and he needed to confiscate the board.

And as bren said, there are signs ALL OVER the Inner Harbor that clearly say "No Skateboarding."

Rob
02-12-2008, 12:27 PM
The cop is in trouble. He should be. You guys that don't see anything wrong with his behavior scare me as well. What would he have done if the kid had run? Shot him?

And when did they pass a law saying you can't call a cop "dude?" Or that you have to show some fat slob "respect" when he starts screaming in your face? Ignore him while he's pursuing his duty? Of course not, but if I want to call that dude "dude," there isn't really a lot he can do about it.

I loved the end whene he came over and asked it the camera was on and said "I better not see myse- as the kid turned it off.

ff
02-12-2008, 12:28 PM
It's natural to have the feeling like you want to give the kid a swift backhand across the face. But cops know that they can't react that way.

If you want to help keep kids from skateboarding in the area, then install those little metal brackets every few feet on the curbs/concrete structures. They are very effective.

Or put up a sign that says that the police will confiscate the skateboard if they're caught skating in the area. Simply walk up to the kid, take his board without saying a word, and leave. The cop putting on a show with his mouth and pushing the kid down will only get him in trouble. Then the kid wins. That's a "Fail".

bren
02-12-2008, 12:29 PM
If you don't see it, you don't see it......
Please enlighten me to what I'm missing. I hope the officer treats every punk kid he meets with the same "enthusiasm" no matter what the crime.

The kid was breaking the law and ordered to stop by a police officer. He chose not to listen (even his friends were telling him to keep his mouth shut.) That makes him fair game for the cop.

Now if the cop would have started pummeling him with his revolver, or a nearby trash can, then maybe you'd have a case. I just don't see where he did any harm to this kid other than scare him.

Rob
02-12-2008, 12:39 PM
I don't think anyone has claimed the kid has any kind of "case" against the cop. (please - what are the damages? His self esteem was hurt?)

The issue is the cops behavior and his ability to handle himself while performing the obligations of his job. He should have been able to find a better, less confrontational way to deal with a punk skateboarder that didn't "respect" his badge. Oh, and I hope the law provides for the confiscation of skate boards or the kid will have a case.

Optimus Prime
02-12-2008, 01:48 PM
I don't think anyone has claimed the kid has any kind of "case" against the cop. (please - what are the damages? His self esteem was hurt?)

The issue is the cops behavior and his ability to handle himself while performing the obligations of his job. He should have been able to find a better, less confrontational way to deal with a punk skateboarder that didn't "respect" his badge. Oh, and I hope the law provides for the confiscation of skate boards or the kid will have a case.

dude

dredmo
02-12-2008, 01:58 PM
It is ok for cops to get physical, even when questionable, the benefit of the doubt should go to our boys and girls in blue.

Oversight, vetting, and training is the key.

rautox
02-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Agree with Bren on this. The inner harbor needs more of that guy. And this all could have been avoided so easily.

Having outrun many many security guards and policemen as a 14 year old skater, I know that you scram and giggle uncontrollably for an hour, stfu and ride out officer riviera's tirade, or end up on the receiving end like this kid did, which could've been a lot worse.

I mean, what kind of idiot skater doesn't bail when the police show up? All you need is one slower friend! And Federal Hill's right there. Is officer riviera going to abandon his hooptie and catch me running up there?! Now THAT would be some good footage.

"I'll call my mom"? WTF are skaters made of these days?

FC
02-12-2008, 02:19 PM
"I'll call my mom"? WTF are skaters made of these days?

That's true. Trust me, I'm no tough guy, but that dude's a pussy. I thought he was 12. 14yo and "I'll call my mom"? :rolleyes:

That dude won't eat lunch in HS.

Mr. The Edge
02-12-2008, 02:27 PM
I see no problem with the officer yelling at him for being an irrespectful little punk. That said, he didn't have to go yank the skateboard without asking for it nor shove the kid.

But the kid coud have avoided all that by just being respectful of authority.

Hell, he knew he wasn't supposed to be there. You see a cop talking to you, what do you think he's there for? And you still give him an attitude and call him dude? You're an idiot. But like I said, there was no need to get physical nor say anything about getting killed, etc.

I can see a slight beef, but not a big freakin deal.

+1

Maybe a slight beef, but damn kids these days seem so disrespectful.

I fail to see how this got escalated to the point where he was suspended. That's B.S.

dan
02-12-2008, 02:43 PM
That's true. Trust me, I'm no tough guy, but that dude's a pussy. I thought he was 12. 14yo and "I'll call my mom"? :rolleyes:

That dude won't eat lunch in HS.

Dudes work on a ranch, mbr.

Biggins
02-14-2008, 09:14 AM
Quick update in today's Baltimore Sun

LINK (http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/baltimore_city/bal-te.md.video14feb14,0,2806854.story)

bren
02-14-2008, 09:29 AM
Hmmm...
he knew at the time that what he was doing was "100 percent wrong."No kidding...
Bush said run-ins with police for skateboarding are nothing new for him and his friends.Shocker...
Santo said he sometimes uses a camcorder to tape his friends' conflicts with police because they find humor in getting yelled at by officers.Looks like the officer's tact worked...
The boys said they have not returned to the harbor, a popular place for skateboarding despite the prohibition against it.

rautox
02-14-2008, 09:39 AM
Habitually f'ing with the police. Genious.

Sharp11
02-14-2008, 11:10 AM
Let's say, just for example, one of you guys gets stopped for speeding.

You know what the speed limit is, yet you ignore it.

It's not the first time you've been stopped, perhaps not even the first time in a particular neighborhood.

What would be appropriate behavior from a police officer?

Should he write you a ticket - or should he pull you from the car and beat the shit out of you while he vents angrily over your presumed poor upbringing?

Ed

rautox
02-14-2008, 11:20 AM
If I continued to drive away from him, and then lipped off once I was stopped, I'd expect bad things... because by my actions, I'd earned them.

Here's another hypothetical. Kid travels to fabulous Arbutus where there's plenty of concrete, and no skating signs, and locals who have a rep' for not liking outsiders. When told to get lost, Kid lips off to local and then threatens to call his mom. His phone, money, anything else worth taking, along with a large chunk of relative health are gonna be bye bye.

If the kid was worth touching at all, he was worth arresting. I think that was the mistake.

kognito
02-14-2008, 11:24 AM
Let's say, just for example, one of you guys gets stopped for speeding.

You know what the speed limit is, yet you ignore it.

It's not the first time you've been stopped, perhaps not even the first time in a particular neighborhood.

What would be appropriate behavior from a police officer?

Should he write you a ticket - or should he pull you from the car and beat the shit out of you while he vents angrily over your presumed poor upbringing?

Ed

wait Ed,

first you have to ignore the police officer when he is telling you to stop (or pull over, I think they call it "fleeing and eluding") Then you have to repeatedly disrespect his authority by calling him "dude"

Then, yeah, I think you are going to be in big trouble

kognito
02-14-2008, 11:29 AM
Also, from what I heard on TV, this officer has (had) a spottless record in his 11(?) years of service.

It's not like he was already some kind of phyco cop.

I think the camera was turned on too late. We really don't know what happened first

Sharp11
02-14-2008, 11:43 AM
wait Ed,

first you have to ignore the police officer when he is telling you to stop (or pull over, I think they call it "fleeing and eluding") Then you have to repeatedly disrespect his authority by calling him "dude"

Then, yeah, I think you are going to be in big trouble

So then it's not at all about the repeatedly breaking the law part (skateboarding where it says not to, speeding where it says not to) - it's all about a 14 year old kid who doesn't respond the way this officer wanted him to.

My guess is this officer had just about had enough of the skateboarding culture - its vernacular, its dress, its skinny kids in baggy clothes.

He'd had it and unfortunately for him, there was a video camera to record it.

Ed

equ
02-14-2008, 11:49 AM

OMG, *disrespect his authority*? What are we? In the middle ages or in some police state-istan?

I'm waiting for the US to wake up from its quasi-fascistic tendencies and become the paragon of freedom that it *theoretically* is.

bren
02-14-2008, 11:50 AM
...should he pull you from the car and beat the shit out of you while he vents angrily over your presumed poor upbringing?
Being pushed to the ground while resisting an officer is hardly "beating the shit out of you." :rolleyes:

Sharp11
02-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Being pushed to the ground while resisting an officer is hardly "beating the shit out of you." :rolleyes:

The officer's response was inappropriate and potentially dangerous - these were just dumb kids. As I stated earlier, I think he'd reached his boiling point with this situation being merely a catalyst.

He needs anger-management and Zoloft - for his own long-term health.

Ed

Optimus Prime
02-14-2008, 12:20 PM
OMG, *disrespect his authority*? What are we? In the middle ages or in some police state-istan?

I'm waiting for the US to wake up from its quasi-fascistic tendencies and become the paragon of freedom that it *theoretically* is.

I'm in no way defending the kids. By all accounts they're little shits. However, I expect a certain decorum and self control from people and especially from authority. There are numerous ways the officer could have handled the situation with more class and self-respect and done his job. I've run into too many LEO's that act like asshat's and think that everyone should lick their boots. Why? Because their LEO's and obviously way smarter/better/more important than you. Is that really what we need from our police officers? Do we really need to send the message that they have the right to blow up and treat people like shit? That they have the right to go off half-cocked if they don't feel they are being respected? Should we be forced to bow and kiss they're badge when in their presence for fear of angering them?

If you want me to "respect" the badge, then earn it. Act like an adult and do your job with class and humility.

Sharp11
02-14-2008, 12:26 PM

Ok, let's change it up a little:

Suppose you're driving through the south and you see the posted limit is 55 mph.

The road is a beautiful B road, twisty turns banked just right, some nice elevation changes - you get on it a bit and find you're exceeding the speed limit.

You get pulled over by a cop - you're clearly in the wrong, you decide to play it cool by being ultra-respectful.

However, you're in your BMW M3, the value of which probably exceeds this guy's yearly income - to make matters worse, you've got northern plates.

Let's load the dice even more - he's been served divorce papers the day before as his wife's leaving him for a guy who earns good coin.

He's teething with animosity.

How would you like and expect this cop to treat you?

Ed

Rob
02-14-2008, 12:35 PM
I had a girl friend once who had a mother who would prattle on about the respect she deserved and how I was lacking in the proper attitude. Respect is earned and that particular person didn't deserve the respect I give the slime I scrape off my shoe.

Respect the badge? I used to. But every time I see a cop speeding for no reason other then there is nobody to tell them no, every time I see a cop run a stop sign or a red light, every time I see a police officer behave the way this one did for no apparent reason, I lose a little more respect for them. If the cops don't respect the law or thier oath to uphold it, why should I respect them?

And I will say again, I am unaware of any law that requires "respect" to be shown to officers. He should have just cited the kid.

bren
02-14-2008, 12:37 PM
How would you like and expect this cop to treat you?
I don't know why it's so difficult for you to comprehend the difference between your ridiculous scenarios and the actual occurrence that is the topic of this conversation.

The kid should have been arrested and his parents fined, instead he got off easy with nothing more than a tongue lashing. Whaaaa poor kid.

Rob
02-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Bren, it's not about the kid. I don't know why you guys that think the kid "got less then he deserved" think that makes the cop's behavior ok.

rautox
02-14-2008, 12:54 PM
If the kid hadn't been successful in intentionally provoking the police, we wouldn't be talking about the cop's behavior.

Remember those other kids who were so smart that they provoked a tiger into ripping one of their throats out? I felt bad for the tiger.

ff
02-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Remember those other kids who were so smart that they provoked a tiger into ripping one their throats out? I felt bad for the tiger.

+1

Of course, this is America, and the cat had to be put down. :rolleyes::rolleyes: pisses me off.

ff
02-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Bren, it's not about the kid. I don't know why you guys that think the kid "got less then he deserved" think that makes the cop's behavior ok.

Exactly. Now if a group of neighborhood adults wanted to walk down there and start throwing a fit at the skateboarders, I'd be OK with that. Seriously.

In our development we have a large skateboard park, and it's really quite nice. The kids use it all the time. And it successfully keeps them from using the public areas and sidewalks to skateboard. All without any public or police intervention. It seems to me that the best solution to the problem is to make these skate parks more available. And parental intervention.

bren
02-14-2008, 02:09 PM
In our development we have a large skateboard park, and it's really quite nice. The kids use it all the time. And it successfully keeps them from using the public areas and sidewalks to skateboard. All without any public or police intervention. It seems to me that the best solution to the problem is to make these skate parks more available. And parental intervention.
There's a skateboard park 5 miles from my office, doesn't matter at all, the security guards are constantly running kids out of here. Over the summer an older lady had her leg broken as she was leaving the building when a kid pummeled her after he botched his trick.

ff
02-14-2008, 02:35 PM
There's a skateboard park 5 miles from my office, doesn't matter at all, the security guards are constantly running kids out of here.

For what reason?

dan
02-14-2008, 02:36 PM
For skateboarding where it's not allowed.

bren
02-14-2008, 02:37 PM
For what reason?

Well, gee...besides the property damage -

Over the summer an older lady had her leg broken as she was leaving the building when a kid pummeled her after he botched his trick.

:?

ff
02-14-2008, 02:39 PM
For skateboarding where it's not allowed.

I thought he meant the park. In that case, install the little metal clips on all the concrete structures around the office building, making it impossible to skate there.

http://www.danlockton.co.uk/research/images/pig_ears_4.jpg

bren
02-14-2008, 02:46 PM
I thought he meant the park. In that case, install the little metal clips on all the concrete structures around the office building, making it impossible to skate there.

They have done something like that where they can, but in some cases the kids just break them off.

Those things aren't exactly a great solution on the large marble steps in front of the building either, besides not stopping the kids from jumping off the top, what happens when someone inadvertently steps on them and twists their ankle?

dredmo
02-14-2008, 02:49 PM
I think banning skate boarders is a bad idea. Again, this guy could have been beat down worse for all I care, as long as officers are receiving training so that they can't get busted left and right, and they have guidelines to follow yet freedom to use judgement.

The big issue here, and the only issue as far as I'm concerned, is that if we ban skateboarders, where will we get the excellent footage of prepubescent teens rupturing their testicles on hand rails, and spraying blood from their cranium all over the pavement at church buildings.

Nothing pleases me more than seeing hoodlums hurt themselves, how will I cope if metal things are installed everywhere.

rautox
02-14-2008, 02:55 PM
The big issue here, and the only issue as far as I'm concerned, is that if we ban skateboarders, where will we get the excellent footage of prepubescent teens rupturing their testicles on hand rails, and spraying blood from their cranium all over the pavement at church buildings.I've got to admit, that as someone who's spent hundreds of hours watching his friends fall and hurt themselves in utterly idiotic ways, it is funny every single time. Mountainbiking is a close second to skateboarding in this respect.

dredmo
02-14-2008, 02:57 PM
I've got to admit, that as someone who's spent hundreds of hours watching his friends fall and hurt themselves in utterly idiotic ways, it is funny every single time. Mountainbiking is a close second to skateboarding in this respect.

Same thing with snowsports btw. Good times !

ff
02-14-2008, 03:03 PM
They have done something like that where they can, but in some cases the kids just break them off.
In that case, it sounds like it's time for common, ordinary citizens (the people that work in your building) to take action. Maybe a little WWF smackdown on their candy asses. Can you smelllllelelelelelelelellll.... what the Rock is cookin'? :D

Terri Kennedy
02-14-2008, 03:28 PM
How would you like and expect this cop to treat you?I had something similar on my first Atom trip - I had gotten lost in SF and, following directions from a gas station attendant, made the first left at the bottom of the hill. Unfortunately, that was the wrong way on a freeway offramp. To be fair, it didn't have a "no left turn" sign, and here in NYC, over/under ramps in the configuration I was expecting are pretty common.

After having the obligatory "oh shit!" moment, I got turned around and headed the right way.

A half block away, I hear the bip of a siren and see a light bar in my rear view mirror.

I pulled over, shut the car down and had my visor up and hands on the wheel before the officer got to the side of the Atom.

Me: May I remove my helmet, officer?
Cop: Yes
Me: Would you like to see my license, registration and insurance?
Me: May I exit the vehicle?

After I got out and handed him my paperwork (it is impossible to get a wallet out while seated in an Atom) he didn't even mention my one-way misadventure. We just chatted about the car and he let me go.

Regarding the skateboarding kid, the officer could have just confiscated the skateboard and told the kid he could pick it up at the station if he came down with a parent/guardian. That would probably have avoided any confrontation at the scene, and then the kid and parent could get a lecture at the police station. Instead, the officer took the skateboard, then came back to berate the kid over and over, and eventually gave the kid the skateboard back.

Cops have a tough job - they never know when they're going to encounter someone who is unbalanced. But citizens shouldn't have to worry about unbalanced police...

Sharp11
02-14-2008, 07:04 PM
I don't know why it's so difficult for you to comprehend the difference between your ridiculous scenarios and the actual ridiculous scenario that is the topic of this conversation.

Fixed

It's not about the kids, when will you get it?

At least he was suspended, rightfully so.

Ed

3LOU5
02-14-2008, 07:16 PM
The big issue here, and the only issue as far as I'm concerned, is that if we ban skateboarders, where will we get the excellent footage of prepubescent teens rupturing their testicles on hand rails, and spraying blood from their cranium all over the pavement at church buildings.

And to add, if skateboarding gets banned and these hoodlums don't get hurt, how the hell am I going to pay my mortgage, my bills, my future boat....

bren
02-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Fixed

It's not about the kids, when will you get it?

At least he was suspended, rightfully so.

Ed
You're right, it's not about the kids. It's about the media sensationalizing something and folks jumping on the bandwagon.

Keep on making it harder for cops to do their jobs and we'll see how that works out in the end.

rautox
02-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Keep on making it harder for cops to do their jobs and we'll see how that works out in the end.
Um, that would be Baltimore in a nutshell.

Sharp11
02-14-2008, 10:45 PM
You're right, it's not about the kids. It's about the media sensationalizing something and folks jumping on the bandwagon.

Oh, I see, so now it's the media and the public who are imagining things that aren't there - the camera's fibbing to us ...... :rolleyes:

Perhaps you're right though, if the media and the public would just simply turn away, the cops could do whatever the fuck they want - a police state, now that would be progress, eh?

Ed

Rob
02-14-2008, 10:47 PM
So now it's the cops job to berate kids that don't listen to him instantly? Or was it his job to start screaming at the kid b/c his parents aren't raising him to have the values the cop would prefer? Or perhaps its the cops job just to be able to scream when he feels like it? :rolleyes:

clyde
02-14-2008, 11:03 PM
The kids behaved like kids. What's the cop's excuse? :dunno:

dan
02-14-2008, 11:38 PM
The cop acted like a cop. :dunno:

bren
02-15-2008, 09:11 AM
So now it's the cops job to berate kids that don't listen to him instantly? Or was it his job to start screaming at the kid b/c his parents aren't raising him to have the values the cop would prefer? Or perhaps its the cops job just to be able to scream when he feels like it? :rolleyes:
If you are out looking for trouble and disobeying a lawful order, yes absolutely.

So cops aren't allowed to yell at or reprimand people? I guess they should just dole out licorice and bubble-gum?

ff
02-15-2008, 10:16 AM
I don't know. Maybe the way that cop reacted to the kids is how all Northeasterners react to everyone in every situation? Maybe he was being calm and collected. :dunno:

dredmo
02-15-2008, 10:23 AM
If cops are not allowed to act as well as yell, then we might as well not have cops.

Sharp11
02-15-2008, 11:21 AM

I guess we have to accept the fact that certain people will see this video and not see a cop acting inappropriately and out of act rage. I don't understand it, but that's life.

It's the same sort of thing that happens when witnesses are interviewed after a car accident - several different recollections are often presented :dunno:

Ed

clyde
02-15-2008, 01:28 PM
I guess we have to accept the fact that certain people will see this video and not see a cop acting inappropriately and out of act rage. I don't understand it, but that's life.

It's the same sort of thing that happens when witnesses are interviewed after a car accident - several different recollections are often presented :dunno:

Ed
Ed,

I think you touched on the key question: Did the cop act appropriately?

I think we can probably all agree that any given situation would call for an appropriate response and that something exceeding that level of response would be inappropriate.

As a hypothetical, we probably all believe that a cop was acting appropriately if he shot someone that was shooting at him.

I think that we'd all also probably agree that a cop was acting inappropriately if he shot someone that was naked and lying face down on the ground, spread eagle style if that person refused a command to stand up.

Somewhere in between those two extremes, shooting goes from being an inappropriate to appropriate response. We all probbaly have our own ideas of where the line between the two is, and most of us would probably agree that the line may not be absolutely black and white and well deinfed in all cases...but again, the gray area is probably different for each of us.

Bringing it back to the skateboarder incident, the question is whether the cops actions were appropriate for the situation.

Kinda like a BMW not really being great at any one thing, but pretty frigging good on the whole, I thought the cop wasn't really out of line on any one thing (other than the implied threat re: the camera at the end), but on the whole acted pretty uprofessionally and his response was inappropriate for the circumstances of the situation.

John V
02-15-2008, 02:04 PM
I don't know. Maybe the way that cop reacted to the kids is how all Northeasterners react to everyone in every situation?

You have serious emotional issues, man. :lol: Seek help.

Plaz
02-15-2008, 02:29 PM
I don't know. Maybe the way that cop reacted to the kids is how all Northeasterners react to everyone in every situation? Maybe he was being calm and collected. :dunno:

Why do you hate colonial America? :lol:

ff
02-15-2008, 02:34 PM
You have serious emotional issues, man. :lol: Seek help.
Nah, just brought up in a state where people generally treat other people with respect and basic consideration. :D So transitioning to the Florida (er, I mean northeastern) lifestyle has been a real eye opener.

Why do you hate colonial America? :lol:
:lol: Blame it on the redcoats.

clyde
02-15-2008, 02:35 PM
Nah, just brought up in a state where people generally treat other people with respect and basic consideration. :D So transitioning to the Florida (er, I mean northeastern) lifestyle has been a real eye opener.

particularly the McDonalds parking lots?

:eeps:

Plaz
02-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Nah, just brought up in a state where people generally treat other people with respect and basic consideration.

So was I. :toetap:

ff
02-15-2008, 02:37 PM
So was I. :toetap:
You were raised in MN? ;)

That was my initiation into the world of disrespect, ignorance, and complete disregard for the safety of others. Now I fit in.

BahnBaum
02-15-2008, 03:13 PM

LOL.

I was just getting ready to do some searching when I read this.

Alex

rumatt
02-17-2008, 12:46 AM
http://www.getreligion.org/wp-content/photos/spanking.jpg

John V
02-18-2008, 12:44 PM

Were you raised to be prejudicial as well? Because you're pretty good at it, it seems...

ff
02-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Were you raised to be prejudicial as well? Because you're pretty good at it, it seems...
I'm selectively prejudiced against obnoxious, pushy, selfish, inconsiderate, unobservant pricks. Even better when they think that cars are weapons to be used against pedestrians and other vehicles that just happen to be between them and Point B. Turns out that I'm surrounded by them, and it's wearing really thin on me.

And I also like to give people a razzing from time to time. And sometimes I take it too far. I'm sorry if I offended you guys. I actually have a ton of respect for pretty much all of you. Honestly, I do.

I'll do my best to not make another comment about northesterners. Yes, bonoboy, you can bookmark this post and use it against me in the future. :)

Biggins
09-23-2009, 10:38 AM
A little quick update on this situation which for some reason is still ongoing...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bal-md.ci.rivieri23sep23,0,1637602.story

Sharp11
09-23-2009, 10:59 AM
The police officer was reassigned - the video's been seen more than 3 million times - no one was physically harmed.

It's time for the family to move on.