PDA

View Full Version : Utility Trailer

FC
03-12-2017, 05:14 PM
Ok, so not a car, but car-related in a way.

I'm fed up with not having a utility trailer that can fit a 4'x8' sheet. In my research, and due to convenience, I'm considering this:

http://carmate-trailers.com/showrooms/Car+Mate+Trailers/Utility+Trailers/AST+Utility/4+x+8+AST+Tilt/57f62a5985398fa8208b4567

It appears to be ~$2k. A lot of money, but all-aluminum, so I won't have to worry about it rusting considering it will likely live behind my back garage under a tarp. For that reason, I am not considering steel trailers as I do not want to fight corrosion for all eternity. There are other, cheaper options, but they require a bed surface and seem much crappier.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200660343_200660343

To be fair, they are much cheaper, and fold-away (which is easier to store - potentially inside the garage). But adding a bed, walls, etc sounds like a project that by the time I'm done could make it not worth the savings.

Thoughts?

clyde
03-12-2017, 06:30 PM
The highlight of aluminum over steel is weight. That you won't have to do a little light sanding and resort every few years is a bonus, but it's the weight that really makes aluminum preferable.

Can you get it with a ramp or add one later? Side stakes? From what you done and posted over time, it's not hard to see you having a want/need to move more than just a few sheets. Motorcycle, riding mower, ATV, bunch of junk, etc. if you're going to get one, may as well make sure it can do everything. The Featherlite 1683 is aluminum, too, and should be similar money with a ramp.

FC
03-12-2017, 06:34 PM
The highlight of aluminum over steel is weight. That you won't have to do a little light sanding and resort every few years is a bonus, but it's the weight that really makes aluminum preferable.

Can you get it with a ramp or add one later? Side stakes? From what you done and posted over time, it's not hard to see you having a want/need to move more than just a few sheets. Motorcycle, riding mower, ATV, bunch of junk, etc. if you're going to get one, may as well make sure it can do everything. The Featherlite 1683 is aluminum, too, and should be similar money with a ramp.

The car mate has options for ramps, upgraded wheels, etc. I would want the option of a ramp as well.

Also the weight does matter to me as getting to the back of my garage is a down hill (uphill pulling it up). I don't have the room to tow it with the LR4 from it's initial storage location, so I will need to pull it several feet uphill and make the turn.

bren
03-12-2017, 07:19 PM
How often are you using something like this? It does look nice, but certainly seems pricey for what it is.

lip277
03-12-2017, 07:20 PM
I've had my steel trailer here in Seattle for 20 years... ok - 25 years almost.
Never cared about it getting rusty.
Never replaced the wood base and sides. I just use it.

It was built by a local welding shop and sold as a completed 'frame'. I had to put the wood floor and sides on it (configured as I want to). It has stake pockets on the sides for fitting 2x4's and a steel grid for the floor support.

Works great.

Just one option to consider. Was a LOT cheaper than a fancy aluminum trailer.
It is rated at 3000 lbs as well. The other ones were not that high as I recall....

The aluminum ones are good but-
One alternate to think about.

wdc330i
03-12-2017, 10:18 PM
Costs $15 a pop to rent one from Uhaul. Just another metric...

Josh (PA)
03-12-2017, 10:31 PM
and no need to store it for the six months between times you use it.

FC
03-13-2017, 12:49 AM

That's what I've done all these years (as well as vans, HD trucks, etc). It's not the money, it's the hassle. They need to have them available (and in a reasonable size), during business hours, waiting in line, etc. Trips to pick it up and drop off, etc.

FC
03-13-2017, 12:50 AM
How often are you using something like this? It does look nice, but certainly seems pricey for what it is.

I'd say on average, I rent one 3 times a year. But if I had one, I'd use it 10+ times a year instead of shoving long or heavy items into my fancy SUV or paying for delivery. Or having to pre-cut sheets poorly and undesirably at HD so they can fit in my SUV.

FC
03-13-2017, 08:27 AM
Ha! Found this!

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/tro/6013135998.html

I think I'm going to jump all over it. It's steel but looks decent and is 1/4 the price of the aluminum. Granted they ate ~$1150 new, but still, half off.

bren
03-13-2017, 08:56 AM
I'd say on average, I rent one 3 times a year. But if I had one, I'd use it 10+ times a year instead of shoving long or heavy items into my fancy SUV or paying for delivery. Or having to pre-cut sheets poorly and undesirably at HD so they can fit in my SUV.

Replace fancy SUV with fancy pickup. Profit. ;)

FC
03-13-2017, 09:07 AM
Replace fancy SUV with fancy pickup. Profit. ;)

I'd like a Ford Raptor! No profit in that case though.

John V
03-13-2017, 09:13 AM
meh, for occasional use a utility trailer is more convenient than having a pickup.

bren
03-13-2017, 09:28 AM
meh, for occasional use a utility trailer is more convenient than having a pickup.

Looking at putting my engine in the back of the truck today - you might be on to something.

For random trips and errands IDK. I suppose for trips to Home Depot you don't really need to worry about dry-rot tires or shot wheel bearings.

John V
03-13-2017, 10:37 AM
When I bought my tire machine and the snowblower and the zero-turn, all of them would have fit in the pickup bed but they were way easier to load onto and more importantly off of the trailer.

For mulch, stones, and other household goodies the pickup bed is better. Give and take I guess. It's awesome to have both. :)

JST
03-13-2017, 10:41 AM
Looking at putting my engine in the back of the truck today - you might be on to something.

For random trips and errands IDK. I suppose for trips to Home Depot you don't really need to worry about dry-rot tires or shot wheel bearings.

I guess that depends on what kind of pickup you buy.

EDIT:

http://bringatrailer.com/2017/03/12/42k-miles-great-options-1984-ford-f150-3024-speed4x4/

This is what you should get instead of a utility trailer. Also you could probably put a snow plow on it.

wdc330i
03-13-2017, 10:55 AM

EDIT:

http://bringatrailer.com/2017/03/12/42k-miles-great-options-1984-ford-f150-3024-speed4x4/

This is what you should get instead of a utility trailer. Also you could probably put a snow plow on it.

A friend of mine had/has one of those.

The trailer conversation is apropos. I was just researching trailers for rent, as Costco has some outdoor furniture that we'd like to buy and that they do not sell online.

We had a hitch installed on the X5 last year, and can tow a trailer with it.

bren
03-13-2017, 11:07 AM
Give and take I guess. It's awesome to have both. :)

Yes, I use the car trailer for lots of things - the engine may very well end up on it this afternoon.

lip277
03-13-2017, 03:00 PM
That craigslist trailer (for $500) looks like a good deal.

FC
03-13-2017, 03:54 PM
That craigslist trailer (for $500) looks like a good deal.

Emailed the guy. No reply so far.

wdc330i
03-13-2017, 04:00 PM
Emailed the guy. No reply so far.

He's probably using it to haul milk and bread home before the storm. ;)

kognito
03-13-2017, 05:28 PM

:lol::lol:

FC
03-13-2017, 09:07 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

rumatt
03-13-2017, 09:44 PM
If I had room to store it without me tripping over it and cursing 300 days / year, I'd want to own something like this for sure.

Alan
03-13-2017, 11:52 PM

EDIT:

Now you get to add the cost of insurance and all the costs to fix it ... a utlilty trailer is definitely the way to go.

I've got a really cool one I purchased about 13 yrs ago that I use on occasion ... it does come in useful and fortunately for me my brother in law stores it and uses it more than I do ... it looks 10 times better then the day he asked to borrow it :D

It's a small cost to buy and they last forever !!