PDA

View Full Version : Boar's bair brush

ayn
10-15-2003, 02:50 PM
Anyone used one of these? UPS just brought me mine yesterday, my girlfriend and I looked at it, is it really not gonna scratch the paint? heh... I read from Autopia Carcare Forums that it's sposed to be the best thing to wash cars... but i dunno, those hair seem kindda hard to me... heh...

--Andrew

operknockity
10-15-2003, 03:14 PM
Griot's also recommends them.

ayn
10-15-2003, 03:18 PM
yeah, the one I have looks exactly the same as Griot's, only like $20 cheaper... so nobody here uses one? that's hard to believe...

--Andrew

operknockity
10-15-2003, 03:25 PM
so nobody here uses one? that's hard to believe...
I've often though of picking one up, but we aren't allowed to wash our cars in my aprtment complex, so it wouldn't see much if any use.

I do use one of these http://www.griotsgarage.com/images/products/lg/92567_LG.jpg
that I picked up from a FLAPS (luv that acronym) for doing my wheels.

Nick M3
10-15-2003, 03:42 PM
Hrm... I'm tempted. :p

Roadstergal
10-16-2003, 03:14 AM
I used a friend's. Wow, I'm not usually into Cool Detailing Stuff, but that brush absolutely rocks.

Doug
10-16-2003, 10:02 AM
I've got one and it works well. You have to rinse it frequently to keep from rubbing the dirt into the paint

ayn
10-16-2003, 11:48 AM
I've got one and it works well. You have to rinse it frequently to keep from rubbing the dirt into the paint

cool! I thought u would have one! haha! thanks for the tip, I will try it out this weekend!

--Andrew

Masskrug
10-16-2003, 04:48 PM

Do you have any experience with the Boar's Hair Brush with the flow thru handle?

I'm thinking of getting one to wash the "rubenesque" vehicle, but boy, she shure is pricey.

SteveM
10-16-2003, 08:51 PM
I have the standard wood handled unit from Griot's.

It works well if you wash your car frequently and the dirt you are trying to remove is primarily dust and not adhered well to the finish. It works poorly if the dirt is stubborn and requires scrubbing.

Masskrug
10-17-2003, 12:30 PM
I have the standard wood handled unit from Griot's.

It works well if you wash your car frequently and the dirt you are trying to remove is primarily dust and not adhered well to the finish. It works poorly if the dirt is stubborn and requires scrubbing.

That's the non-flow-thru one, correct?

SteveM
10-17-2003, 02:31 PM

Correct, just a wood handle with boar's hair growing out of it.

Masskrug
10-17-2003, 02:37 PM

I take it from your previous comment that Boar's Hair isn't great for washing out mud splatter from dirt roads.

SteveM
10-17-2003, 03:22 PM

I take it from your previous comment that Boar's Hair isn't great for washing out mud splatter from dirt roads.

In my experience, no it didn't work well for dirt that was old and had been rained on (well, what passes for rain in SoCal anyway). For light washing and cleaning dust off, it seems to work pretty well. Maybe I'm using it wrong! :?

edit: I only used it on my wife's old car; a 1997 Astro van that was rarely waxed. I have yet to try it on the BMW.

ayn
10-17-2003, 03:25 PM
cool, so i will just have to wash twice a week instead of once... no problemo... :wink:

I work 5 miles away from home so my car doesn't get dirty unless it rains... I use the cali car duster to dust it off in the middle of the week...

the MINI, as it's white, gets dirty pretty easily, and it's real easy to see those lil black dots when I wash, so I clay it every time I wash it now...

--Andrew

doeboy
10-17-2003, 09:23 PM
I got mine from California Car Cover company...

Wood handle with boar's hair growing out of it as SteveM said....

first few times it stank real bad after using it.... like a wet dog or something.... PPEEEWWW....

Now it's not so bad... :) and oh... it cleans my cars pretty good IMO.... the wide brush makes it real good for putting a wide band of soapy water on the car.... :D

Rob
10-21-2003, 01:30 PM
I love the boar's hair brush! I do have a back up mit for grime behind the wheels. About every third wash, there is something that the brush won't get off. I have never had any problems with dirt spots - it's usually only tar or something similar.

Masskrug
10-21-2003, 02:06 PM

Doug, do you have the flow thru brush one?